Dragon Quest VIII Progress

gooieooie

I have been playing VIII, I am now at some castle mourning over their sickly king and dead queen (I was too lazy to finish off that or find how). I find the acting to start a little iffy, but it is really catching up, I am trying to make pace with leveling up. Would level 20 be good?

The most dangerous thing you'll face around there are the Diemons on the way to Moonshadow Land; if you can survive and heal from 60 damage attacks about two or three times per fight, you should be good.

• Upvote 1

The most dangerous thing you'll face around there are the Diemons on the way to Moonshadow Land; if you can survive and heal from 60 damage attacks about two or three times per fight, you should be good.

Yeah, searching for the Abbey I kind of took the "follow the river" part to heart too much and reached that castle, just barely killed them. However I did get a Steel Braodsword early on (Was getting sick of the Boomerang)

• Upvote 1

You're right about the point where the Boomerang stops being useful. I stuck with Boomerang during my last play through in honor of being different, but it's not a great monster killer unless you OD Eight on the Seeds of Strength that you should be saving for Alchemy.

There's a daily wi-fi download from the Square Enix servers that you can use whenever your 3DS is connected to WiFi. You've missed all the days up to now, but I'd be willing to bet they're on a rotation, so if you stick with it long enough you might get the items anyway. We've got a thread on unique downloadables elsewhere.

Also, I want to be slightly ahead the needed level for the bosses, what would be a good level for the next (4th boss) that would be above the average?

I read on wikipedia you can choose between marrying Jessica or Medea, is that true?

True.

Probably will still marry Medea when I get to that point for reasons.

I read on wikipedia you can choose between marrying Jessica or Medea, is that true?

True.

Animal magnetism?

True.
Animal magnetism?

He must have fallen into the eal camp of thinking Horse Medea is the best option.

• Upvote 1

Had a really good friend named Jessica a few years back, developed a crush and pretty much broke my friendship trying to impress her... She decided girls were better...

• Upvote 1

Had a really good friend named Jessica a few years back, developed a crush and pretty much broke my friendship trying to impress her... She decided girls were better...

Without knowing how studly you are, I mean I do have to agree with her in principle.
  • Upvote 1

Animal magnetism?

Another disciple of the eal school, I see.

Without knowing how studly you are, I mean I do have to agree with her in principle.

As sympathetic as I am, can't say I disagree either.

• Upvote 1

Is there any bonus content I will be unable to get due to getting the game so late?

I think a good chunk of special DLC items are unattainable. But I'm not very sure if Square Enix/Nintendo decide to cycle through the special DLC items that you missed, so that you can download them.

Edit: Never mind. JaybirdC beat me. Man I feel stupid. XD

Edited by Dakhil

True.
Animal magnetism?

Animal husbandry.

I am asking this for a lore standpoint, and if it will end up with spoilers then I please don't say it. In many spinoffs (IX, Monsters 2 3D) it states Rhaphthorne has the power to distort the space-time continuum or something. Now is there a statement like that in VIII? I know he can merge universes or something, but was that statement about space-time ever said?

• 2 weeks later...

So I finished the Prince of Argonia quest. I swear, Charmles was one of the most irredeemable characters I have seen in the series. At least Prince Harry and Howel improved as human beings, Charmles? Nope.

Also, what are the best recruitable monsters? I have Talos who seems pretty cool, but I need to find two others who can help me beat Rank B.

As I recall, there's a phantom swordsman who haunts the riverside by the Riverside Chapel at night who appears once you've beaten Rank C. He rocks pretty hard. This would also be a good opportunity to recruit the hackzilla near Farebury if you haven't already.

Edited by JaybirdC

Yeah I have Hackzilla. He does good when he uses falcon slash. ATM I am stuck, I got the mirror but IDK what to do next. Where do I go?

Is the mirror charged? If not, there is a channel that cuts through the Argonian continent that you can enter from the east. Under the overpass you can fight Sea Dragons -- hold up the mirror and wait for them to use their flash attack to charge it.

Edited by JaybirdC