Dragon Quest VIII Progress

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at Mr. "I employ a proper strategy" over here. Thinking ahead and being prepared.

Arcadia. Just beat Evil Jessica.

That is a good team, and I'm glad they secured the victory for you. If you're just looking for another strong team of monsters to summon out in the world, you might want to consider putting Talos into

I think I'm close to the end now, right? I just beat

Marcello.

I think you can do the Troll Maze now?

Yes you can. It's not difficult save for the purple Boss Troll variant. He can be a little difficult if you encounter one.

• Upvote 1

I finally beat this game yesterday! This was the very first time I've beaten Dragon Quest 8 and is the only game in the series I hadn't beaten before.

After Dragon Quest VII, this game felt short! I clocked in around 62 hours when I beat Rhapthorn.

I ended up not building a monster party and beat Rhapthorn with only my four party members.

My technique:

-Hero was constantly using "Gigaslash" and occasionally "Omniheal"

-Yangus was constantly casting "Paralax" and ended up using Yggdrasil Dew and Leaf once apiece

-Angelo constantly used Multiheal / Kazing with occasional OOMPH spell casting. I even managed to get him freed up to attack here and there and used Falcon Slash

-Jessica constantly used her Sage's Stone for healing and I cast Kazing quite a few times

I have to say...Rhapthorn is probably the most difficult story mode boss I've faced in the entire series--more difficult than even Malroth, Nimzo, Mortimor or Orgodemir. I had to level my party up to Level 50 and it took me three tries to finally defeat him. What a nightmare he was!

I was also confused because I've heard quite a few people over the years say things like: "He's surprisingly easy!" and "He wastes turns 'laughing maniacally' all the time!"...as far as I noticed, he never ONCE 'laughed maniacally'--not even ONCE. And "easy"??? People think he's EASY? Wow...I must not be that great of a Dragon Quest player because he was the most difficult boss I've ever faced in the series. I've never had to level my party up to 50 for ANY other final boss in this series and even then--I just BARELY won. Seriously--I was down to Jessica as the only survivor at 50 HP at one point and, thankfully, had enough agility to revive someone else before Rhapthorn could attack.

In any case, I made it to the Heavenly Dais yesterday and was creamed by the Lord of the Dragovians. I should again mention that this was a guide-free run, so I have no idea what level I need to be to possibly beat him. I guess I'll need to finally consult a guide online.

My final conclusions: excellent game. I loved the graphics, soundtrack, voice-acting, anime-style storytelling and cutscenes, the secondary worlds: Moonshadow Land, Dark World and Dragovian Sanctuary. I loved the skill system as well as the terrific visuals.

In conclusion, I was shocked to change my opinion--I now prefer Dragon Quest VII over this game. Strange, but I do. I realized that, through playing DQVII 3DS a second time and taking my time to enjoy its vignette style of story progression, I now prefer that game over DQVIII. DQVIII is great, but I just prefer the depth and adventure that DQVII had to offer. Both games are great, though.

I think I'm going to pick DQVII back up and try to beat The Almighty again. I've yet to beat him in under 19 turns and want to accomplish that before beefing my party up for the Dragovian Lord. I have unfinished business to attend to with DQVII bonuses. Once that is wrapped up, I'll return to DQVIII.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations, ELRO!

I constantly go back and forth between 7, 8, 4, and 5 as my favorites. Glad you liked it. Now you need to do a more guided run where you get Morrie and Red and a monster team and all the other bells and whistles! You've played it like a true classic, and now you have the remake to play and enjoy!

Edited by Plattym3

Congratulations, ErdrickR...a!

I constantly go back and forth between 7, 8, 4, and 5 as my favorites. Glad you liked it. Now you need to do a more guided run where you get Morrie and Red and a monster team and all the other bells and whistles! You've played it like a true classic, and now you have the remake to play and enjoy!

ERLO is the shorthand if you need it.

Congratulations, ErdrickR...a!

ERLO is the shorthand if you need it.
I'll go back and fix, thanks YtLB! 😉

Congratulations, ELRO!

Thanks! :D 

Yes, I enjoyed it immensely. It was kind of nice playing a shorter DQ game again after coming off of DQ8. I had a blast running through the sepia tone world and couldn't help but wish the game had a Part 2 segment that involved you re-exploring the entire world map this way.

I also loved the revelation about

Ramia 

and how it basically ties all the games together into the same continuity.

I really enjoyed the Munchie segments as well as the comical section of playing as Trode in the city of humans/monsters. I wish they'd make Trode a playable character if only for laughs. They could give him Jester class abilities.

Well, Red joined at the Pirates Cove but I never utilized her because I wanted to beat the game in a traditional sense first. I do plan on utilizing Red for some of the post game content, though, and have been farming her skill points in Fans, Whips and Rogues.

I'm very happy with this game's version of Slime Hill and found that, not only are there a high incidence of Metal Kings, but Executioner and Lightning Thrust seem to have a much higher success rate in this area, for some reason. SO many incidences of one king surrounded by several liquid metals would often find me walking away with 60,000 experience. Too bad Dragon Quest VII doesn't have anything this efficient. Slime Isle just doesn't measure up.

PS: Maybe it's just me, but I noticed a sharp tonal change in the game's narrative as the game wore on:

-In the beginning of the game it was much more light-hearted and most bosses would be "defeated" rather than being killed. The boss would be "defeated" and would slunk away in a comical fashion. At some point in the game's narrative this seems to change and bosses are suddenly dying. I guess I just found it a bit odd how the game had a much more...cartoonish feel in the beginning but then evolved into more traditional Dragon Quest violence later on. This may have been intentional but it still seems odd. I mean--compare the first boss fight (Monster comically holds his head and tells them to stop throwing their trash into his waterfall and slinks away) to Sir Leopold (Drops dead after you battle him).

The same seems to happen with various NPC's: near the beginning when there is an attack in a populated area the people are just "wounded" or "out cold" but then there is a point later in the game where the people are wounded and you discover (through party chat) that several people died in the attack. The game seems to shift its tone a bit. Now, I don't mind a violent tone for Dragon Quest (most of the games in the series are this way) but it bugs me a bit that this game seems to shift its tone so much between an almost Disney cartoon nature to quite a dark violent one and then back again. I find it a bit inconsistent, to be honest. Other than that, I love the story of the game. It's like an anime in its presentation.

Empyrea doesn't prove continuity at all. Aside from the truly connected ones, it just proves she can travel between worlds. Though nothing absolute has been said, you can say she can visit any of the different DQ worlds.

Empyrea doesn't prove continuity at all. Aside from the truly connected ones, it just proves she can travel between worlds. Though nothing absolute has been said, you can say she can visit any of the different DQ worlds.

How do you figure that it doesn't prove continuity?

Ramia was a character in two different Dragon Quest games. The existence of Ramia and the "I travel through different worlds where danger is present" line is pretty obviously acknowledging an explanation for Ramia's appearance in more than one game. I've seen this debated by fans on other boards in the past and I really don't understand how people can see it anything other than the fact that it's the same Ramia, hence the reason I stated it provides continuity. 

Even you yourself suggested that she can travel to different DQ worlds, so how can you state that it doesn't prove continuity? If it's the same character, then it's continuity...even if it's only a fragment of continuity, it's the continuity of one character between two different games/worlds in the series. I never understood this "Just because it's Ramia doesn't mean it connects to DQIII" argument that many people make. If it was just a "wink wink nod nod" easter egg reference by the creators then why would they even bother throwing in those lines where Ramia mentions travelling to many worlds to help other heroes resolve dangerous situations? 

This isn't a slam against you either--many people carry this argument that you do and it perplexes me.

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

Empyrea is the only connector, and she doesn't have presence in every game. She can move through to different worlds, but there's no continuity between each world, save for those already connected. What happens in DQ1, 2, and 3 doesn't affect 4, 5, and 6. Same for the other games.

I've finished the Dragovian Trials, and now I'm in Memories Lane.

Holy s**t is Sir Leopold in Mem. so annoying and so hard. He wrecked me hard twice. :(

Edited by Dakhil

I actually don't have anything to add but I saw everyone else was doing spoiler tags so I figured why not.

Though I guess I better use this spoiler for something......Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.

• Upvote 1

I beat the final boss last week and now I'm going for the full 100%!

To keep my thoughts short--excellent game. I loved it! Great cast, solid pacing, tons of content, plenty of charm and neat 3DS streamlining features add up to one of my favorite experiences on the system. In fact, it's my new favorite Dragon Quest game (sorry, DQ3!).

I'm doing pretty well on my 100% attempt too--I've gotten everyone to level 99 except Jessica, I only have about 15 Alchemy Recipes left to complete, I got all the Mini-Medal rewards, I filled out the Bestiary, and I've beaten all of the postgame and optional dungeon stuff except the very final battle (will try it tomorrow). Oh, and I do still need to get those last few photos, which are pretty annoying.

• Upvote 1

I actually don't have anything to add but I saw everyone else was doing spoiler tags so I figured why not.

Though I guess I better use this spoiler for something......Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.

Oh, $#!&. I figured an opening like this would happen one day.

Yangus, I am your father!

Since we're doing the whole spoiler tag thing, I thought I'd discuss an added plot point in this game:

So, I understand that the "canon" ending has always been that the Hero marries Medea. I never beat the PS2 version but I'd watched these scenes on youtube over the years. I understand that this remake adds an optional update to the ending that allows you to choose to marry Jessica instead if you wish. Just wondering how you DQ8 vets feel about this ending?

I noticed that the game seems to push Medea as the canonical wife much like DQ5 pushed Bianca as the canonical wife. However, I did notice a few scenes here and there that indicate an attraction between the hero and Jessica as well as a moment or two of bonding.

Many seemed to pair Jessica and Angelo together over the years but, after playing the game entirely through this time, I'd have to disagree because Angelo repeatedly indicates throughout the game that he likes the "easy ones" and is put off by any woman with fire in her. Jessica certainly has her flair of fire. I guess it's up for grabs.

If you ask me, Medea could be a good match for Angelo. Angelo looks perfectly like royalty (despite not acting like such).

In any case, the creators felt compelled to add this ending for a reason--was it due to fan "shipping" over the years or something?

That would explain why I look like this...

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&image=1414

Okay, so I just finished the first brand-new dungeon.

It becomes available right after beating Marcello. To unlock it, you need to go back into Neos for a cutscene, then go through the Dragon Graveyard for another. The dungeon itself is in the wasteland where you go the boat, in a cave that wasn't there before.

It's got some fairly tough monsters, including completely new Skeleton Squire and Living Statue recolors. There's also some mini-medals, a fan for Red that's good against aquatic monsters, and an extra Orichalcum in there for the taking (among other stuff). The boss is no slouch, but manageable.

You're Plattym3.5!

It becomes available right after beating Marcello. To unlock it, you need to go back into Neos for a cutscene, then go through the Dragon Graveyard for another. The dungeon itself is in the wasteland where you go the boat, in a cave that wasn't there before.

It's got some fairly tough monsters, including completely new Skeleton Squire and Living Statue recolors. There's also some mini-medals, a fan for Red that's good against aquatic monsters, and an extra Orichalcum in there for the taking (among other stuff). The boss is no slouch, but manageable.

I live a spoilerific life and I'd not heard of that before. Thanks!

You're Plattym3.5!

So I'm your twin and your son?

Somehow this is all going to end up with me being my own grandpa.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

You're Plattym3.5!

You're your own 2nd cousin-in-law twice removed.

You're Plattym3.5!

You're your own 2nd cousin-in-law twice removed.

Makes sense.

• Upvote 1

What am I?

Still at the kids table, son.
I'm your son?

What am I?

Still at the kids table, son.
I'm your son? So Yangus is my Uncle, and my brother? Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians