Dragon Quest VIII Progress

Beat the Monster Aren's highest rank with Skeledoid, Octurion, and Nohi. Skeledoid was the VIP due to his ability to put those tree monsters to sleep.

Now I'm grinding for Memeory Lane and pulling my hair out over one unaccounted-for Mini Medal. At this rate I'll end up with 138 out of 139.

Question: Do those rare monsters that appear after beating 30 of their common counterpart serve any purpose besides Codex challenges? Rare drops or anything?

Who is Nohi?
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best line of the topic. Hands down.

That is a good team, and I'm glad they secured the victory for you. If you're just looking for another strong team of monsters to summon out in the world, you might want to consider putting Talos into

Look at Mr. "I employ a proper strategy" over here. Thinking ahead and being prepared.

Beat the Monster Aren's highest rank with Skeledoid, Octurion, and Nohi. Skeledoid was the VIP due to his ability to put those tree monsters to sleep.

Now I'm grinding for Memeory Lane and pulling my hair out over one unaccounted-for Mini Medal. At this rate I'll end up with 138 out of 139.

Question: Do those rare monsters that appear after beating 30 of their common counterpart serve any purpose besides Codex challenges? Rare drops or anything?

Who is Nohi?

Nohi is the strongest of the three Killing Machine monsters you can recruit. He appears after beating Rank B and can be found in the cliffs in the southern part of the desert by air or on the island south of Ascantha that's in the middle of the lake. He only appears in these spots at night.

If I remember right he's named after the director of the PS2 version, like how Sugi, Hori, and Tori are all named after the three big wigs of the series.

• Upvote 1

By the way, putting Sugi, Hori, and Tori in a team will net you a special team, The Legends. No idea how powerful they are together, as I've never used them.

By the way, putting Sugi, Hori, and Tori in a team will net you a special team, The Legends. No idea how powerful they are together, as I've never used them.

Hori is okay to good at best, but Sugi and Tori are pretty bad unless you plan to use the other two Drackies and Slimes to form Gracky the Dracky and Ultrus the Ultra Slime, and even then it's a crapshoot if they don't form up the first turn they are summoned or used in the Monster Arena.

I'm wondering how they are as 'The Legends'. I know about the other teams they're a part of.

I'm wondering how they are as 'The Legends'. I know about the other teams they're a part of.

They get Big Bang which does around 175-215 damage as their special move so long as you have three of the four. Not worth using the team since Sugi and Tori have poor stats compared to Hori and Nohi.

Currently, I'm on the initiation mission with Prince Charmles and looking for a "big heart".

As soon as I finished with the Moonshadow World bits and raising of the ship, I made my way to Baccarat, Chateau  d' Felix and to Argonia. I'm very close to fighting Dhoulmagus as this point in the game, if I'm not mistaken. 

• Upvote 1

Currently, I'm on the initiation mission with Prince Charmles and looking for a "big heart".

As soon as I finished with the Moonshadow World bits and raising of the ship, I made my way to Baccarat, Chateau d' Felix and to Argonia. I'm very close to fighting Dhoulmagus as this point in the game, if I'm not mistaken.

You're not mistaken. Good luck, it took me 3 tries.

As soon as I finished with the Moonshadow World bits and raising of the ship, I made my way to Baccarat, Chateau d' Felix and to Argonia. I'm very close to fighting Dhoulmagus as this point in the game, if I'm not mistaken.

You're not mistaken. Good luck, it took me 3 tries.

Any tips? I hate to admit this, but I've never beaten Dragon Quest VIII. I played it on my PS2 six years ago and made it right up to the point where I am now and have never even made it to Dhoulmagus before. Everyone says that he's a difficult boss. 

Any tips? My hero is currently at Level 23. Angelo knows Zing, Jessica knows OOMPH, Yangus knows Heal and has nearly mastered the Axe skill and the hero is working on Spears.

I had a ROUGH time with the Mole King. I had to pull my party up to Level 22 average just to beat him and it STILL dragged on. Is the Mole King supposed to be that difficult?

Maybe it's because I'm still coming off of Dragon Quest VII, but I've noticed I had to do a LOT of level grinding in between each boss in this game just to stand a chance.

I went to the Uncharted Island and leveled up 4 levels in about 30 minutes. I tried him 3 times and kept losing to the 2nd form. The extra 4 levels helped immeasurably. Getting multiheal with Angelo helps. Also, use your Monster team!

I went to the Uncharted Island and leveled up 4 levels in about 30 minutes. I tried him 3 times and kept losing to the 2nd form. The extra 4 levels helped immeasurably. Getting multiheal with Angelo helps. Also, use your Monster team!

Thanks for the tips. So, you were around level 30 or so then? I'm still trying to get used to the level system of this game. With Dragon Quest VII you almost don't have to grind at all  because of how huge the game is but with this game (which is much shorter than VII) you must grind quite a bit. I keep forgetting that. I'm so used to VII's style and keep forgetting that VIII is shorter and, therefore, requires more grinding in between sections. It's an easy thing to forget. 

PS: Where is this "Uncharted Island" you were referring to?

Thanks for the tips. So, you were around level 30 or so then? I'm still trying to get used to the level system of this game. With Dragon Quest VII you almost don't have to grind at all because of how huge the game is but with this game (which is much shorter than VII) you must grind quite a bit. I keep forgetting that. I'm so used to VII's style and keep forgetting that VIII is shorter and, therefore, requires more grinding in between sections. It's an easy thing to forget.

Yes, close to 30. Many have done it earlier, but losing a fee times pissed me off haha, so I may have done a couple more levels than necessary.

The Uncharted Island is in the Southwest corner of the world. You'll see it easily from the boat in the distance, but it'll never show on the world map. Lots of Liquid Metal Slimes there. Hero with his spear and Yangus with his axe easily beat a third of them, and it was almost a level up for each or every other one.

Thanks for the tips. So, you were around level 30 or so then? I'm still trying to get used to the level system of this game. With Dragon Quest VII you almost don't have to grind at all because of how huge the game is but with this game (which is much shorter than VII) you must grind quite a bit. I keep forgetting that. I'm so used to VII's style and keep forgetting that VIII is shorter and, therefore, requires more grinding in between sections. It's an easy thing to forget.

Yes, close to 30. Many have done it earlier, but losing a fee times pissed me off haha, so I may have done a couple more levels than necessary.

The Uncharted Island is in the Southwest corner of the world. You'll see it easily from the boat in the distance, but it'll never show on the world map. Lots of Liquid Metal Slimes there. Hero with his spear and Yangus with his axe easily beat a third of them, and it was almost a level up for each or every other one.

Fantastic! Thanks! 

I think I have the proper skills I read about for liquid metals: Hero is three points away from getting "Lightning Thrust" and Yangus has "Executioner". I heard that these two almost guarantee a metal kill each time?

• Upvote 1

Fantastic! Thanks!

I think I have the proper skills I read about for liquid metals: Hero is three points away from getting "Lightning Thrust" and Yangus has "Executioner". I heard that these two almost guarantee a metal kill each time?

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, I killed more than ran away.

Fantastic! Thanks!

What Platty said. It's about 50/50 with Lightning Thrust and Executioner.

Fantastic! Thanks!

What Platty said. It's about 50/50 with Lightning Thrust and Executioner.

While I never completed the PS2 version, I must say--they seem to have made far less changes to this game than they did for VII. The difficulty is surprisingly mostly intact from what I remember and even abilities like these are intact, unlike our broken blessing from VII that gave us 100% guaranteed metal kills in the 3DS version. :P 

It's time for me to finally beat this game. This is the only Dragon Quest game I've yet to beat (not counting X which I've never played at all) and it will be great to finally complete this one.

Holy that Monster Rank X! @.@

Where did Bangers and Mash get that Fencing Fox! I want it. =(
Sadly seems I going to have no choice with this one, talk about a hard monster rank. That Restless Armor got a critical on me three times in a row...doing some insane damage. Need to find a good team that can handle it...

Was hoping we might see more cameos in X rank like we did with S rank. Not played Dragon Quest VIII since 2007, so I did not catch the cameos as I yet to play DQ IV at that point.

• Upvote 1

In the span of about five hours I trained everyone from under 70 to 99. Got a few Slime Crowns out of it, but no extra Orichalcum. Rare alchemy ingredients like those seem so scarce that there might as well be a finite amount of them.

Now to figure out the best armour for everyone, then I'll finish up the dragons and boss gauntlet.

• Upvote 1

Finally won enough tokens in Pickham for two Platinum Headgears and four Rune Staves. Now I gotta find Brains.

• Upvote 1

FINALLY, I got the last picture in Arcadia! I just wish it didn't require so much gold to get it and that you had to wait real world days just to complete it! Good thing the Baccarat roulette table pays well and that selling Prayer Rings pays out so well too!

Now I just need the last two shots of Stella in her different colored clothing and I'm done for good!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Just finished Orkutsk and then won Half a Million at roulette to get the gringham whip and a few sets of liquid metal armor. Going to save the rest of my coins for future gambling and also for a bunch of prayer rings later on. I used the ultimate key on some places I remembered you could get treasure with it, Like Castle Trodain and Mini Medal Castle. I could've sworn you could use it somewhere in Argonia Castle too but I couldn't find it.

Anyway I can't remember where I'm supposed to go at this point. It's been about a year since I beat the mobile version. I tried going to the fortune teller but he just gave me a cutscene of Dhoulmagus's backstory. It was a nice cutscene even though it didn't help me figure out where I was going. I appreciated the irony when Rylus tells Dhoulmagus that he'd rather have a dog as an apprentice. The game seems to be pointing me in the direction of Neos, but that can't be right because I remember Neos being the part of the game before the final dungoeon. I know I haven't fought Captain Crowe or the Dark Raven thing yet so that can't be right. 

Edit: I'm pretty sure I figured out where to go

Edited by SlimeVagrant

Finally won enough tokens in Pickham for two Platinum Headgears and four Rune Staves. Now I gotta find Brains.

Hmmm... I always thought you might be a little lacking in the IQ department. Glad you're on a quest to fix that!
  • Upvote 1