Dragon Quest VIII Progress

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best line of the topic. Hands down.

That is a good team, and I'm glad they secured the victory for you. If you're just looking for another strong team of monsters to summon out in the world, you might want to consider putting Talos into

Look at Mr. "I employ a proper strategy" over here. Thinking ahead and being prepared.

Okay, where in the heck is the Archdemon/Archfiend? All the guides say it's on the bridge near Tyran Gulley, but I've been up and down that bridge countless times and it's just not there. I've beaten the game and am S rank in the arena.

...and it turns out I already recruited it but didn't remember. The shame!

WOO-HOO! I defeated Estark in the 15 turn limit ON THE FIRST TRY! Man, that was a good fight, and I'm feeling good for winning it in one go!

Estark is now the enemy I've done the most damage against. In one turn I managed 8,817 points of damage to him!

Nice! What's your strategy for raising everyone's tension and using Oomph without getting debuffed first?

Okay, where in the heck is the Archdemon/Archfiend? All the guides say it's on the bridge near Tyran Gulley, but I've been up and down that bridge countless times and it's just not there. I've beaten the game and am S rank in the arena.

WOO-HOO! I defeated Estark in the 15 turn limit ON THE FIRST TRY! Man, that was a good fight, and I'm feeling good for winning it in one go!

Estark is now the enemy I've done the most damage against. In one turn I managed 8,817 points of damage to him!

Nice! What's your strategy for raising everyone's tension and using Oomph without getting debuffed first?

I'll give you a hint: get Jessica's Sex Appeal up to 68 points.

Huh, figured that would be as ineffective against bosses as Sap.

• Upvote 1

d1700334eb8441b14de4cdf1451c4b7d.jpg

Wahoo!

Awesome find Platty. It's always great when you win an extra slime crown or orchalcium piece. Throw them in with some Liquid Metal Armour and you got yourself some Metal King Armour. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Currently at the part way point to Ascantha. Battled some infamous monsters and also did some Codex quests. The two that drove me crazy trying to get a picture were the Creme Caraslime and Metal Slime.

With the ol' dessert slime, I was trying to make sure I didn't trigger an encounter. Didn't help that it was hard to get a good shot of it facing forward(I'm not sure what would be a safe level to battle it anyway, since I'm not even using a guide).

The Metal Slime was mostly a problem because it's obvious flee-on-site habits. Ended up beating a second one, thus getting Angelo up to 13.

Next up: I see a castle and I want to paint it black...

Umm...Stella, as in Stella the fairy from Dragon Quest IX, is in Dragon Quest VIII now...

I just found her wondering around the big red tree near Farebury. Apparently she's part of the last set of Codex quests from Cameron...weird.

She did give me a Double Bubble, not that I need it now though...D'oh!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

If you know Estark, you'll know why the move works on him.

Got my man Morrie. Guess I need to go after that damn dog to get him a good claw at this point.

I'd like Stella to give me a double bubble, if you know what I mean.

Ah, so you're into that.
Everyone wants double EXP gains from metal slimes. I mean, if we used it on you we'd net 120,000 EXP for sure!

Also, congrats on getting Morrie. Now you'll have the PASSION and GUSTO!

Got my man Morrie. Guess I need to go after that damn dog to get him a good claw at this point.

I'd like Stella to give me a double bubble, if you know what I mean.

Ah, so you're into that.

I'd figured this would have been obvious by now.

Youngins these days. No sense of history or respect for the classics.

I refer you to DQIV. Now.

It's almost sad how effective that spell was on Estark. Gave it a shot to see what would happen, and once I saw the results Jessica just kept casting it while Yangus, BlindJim, and Morrie went to town with 100 tension Oomphed attacks. Jessica managed to sneak in a 100 tension Magic Burst as well, and since she was fast enough to out speed Estark she was able to go back to her standby spell after an Elfin Elixer.

When Estark did get to attack though...ouch. Just ouch. I don't think any of his attacks were under 400 damage. He didn't always want to take a nap, and the turns he didn't put on panic mode. Not as much as Winged Dhoulmagus in Memories Lane did, but it was close.

Played it many times, that bit just slipped my mind.

Umm...Stella, as in Stella the fairy from Dragon Quest IX, is in Dragon Quest VIII now...

I just found her wondering around the big red tree near Farebury. Apparently she's part of the last set of Codex quests from Cameron...weird.

She did give me a Double Bubble, not that I need it now though...D'oh!

Is that a DLC thing, or is there another set of requests after filling out the Archdemon card with the insidious coloured twinkles?

Made it to Dark Pikachu or whatever it's called. 

Anyone know when I can get Red a better weapon than the Peacock Fan, or a good gear set for her at this point in general? I like having her and her automatic stealing in the party, but she's lagging behind everyone and I really need to get her up to par.

• Upvote 2

Anyone know when I can get Red a better weapon than the Peacock Fan, or a good gear set for her at this point in general? I like having her and her automatic stealing in the party, but she's lagging behind everyone and I really need to get her up to par.

You can make her a Stellar Fan as soon as Tryan Gully, which you can make into a Lunar fan, then Solar Fan. Her fan is better for support skills though, Fan Dango is still useful for Melee.

Here are two other fan weapons if you want better fans (I think these are better?)

Stellar fan= rainbow fan (tryan gully)+high strung cheese+ silver tiara
Lunar Fan= stellar fan+full moon ring+ gold rosary

I pumped Red in knives so I could equip swords. That's the route I took.

Here are two other fan weapons if you want better fans (I think these are better?)

Blade Cascade is a wonderful attack skill. It's very much worth the investment in knives. Combine it with a Liquid Metal Sword and she's a metal killing machine.
  • Upvote 2

Blade Cascade is a wonderful attack skill. It's very much worth the investment in knives. Combine it with a Liquid Metal Sword and she's a metal killing machine.

I will have to keep that in mind.

So far I've been taking the route of Spears with Hero using Lightning Thrust and Executioner with Yangus. That tactic works pretty well, but this will just add to my odds for sure.

• Upvote 1

Knives is gonna be my secondary once I max fans.

Edited by McMarbles

Beat the Monster Aren's highest rank with Skeledoid, Octurion, and Nohi. Skeledoid was the VIP due to his ability to put those tree monsters to sleep.

Now I'm grinding for Memeory Lane and pulling my hair out over one unaccounted-for Mini Medal. At this rate I'll end up with 138 out of 139.

Question: Do those rare monsters that appear after beating 30 of their common counterpart serve any purpose besides Codex challenges? Rare drops or anything?