Dragon Quest VIII Progress

Need help: Hero is level 29, Yangus 28 and the other two 27 - I have reached Dhoulmagus in the Dark Ruins - I have no problem with the first half but can't seem to manage the second half - am I underleveled? What gear should I have by now? I understand at 30 Angelo gets multiheal - but I'm a long way from that...

Just looking for some advice - thanks...

Yes, severely. Multiheal makes the difference. There's an island hidden on the map all the way at the bottom left of the overworld. It's filled with LMS. Have at it there for a bit.
He's not underleveled at all. You do not need Multiheal, but your strategy has to change for the second half of the battle if you lack it.

The Hero should be on constant heal duty along with Angelo, unless a round comes where everyone's good to go. Yangus will be the main attacker here, using whatever his best attack skill is. Don't go overboard on buffs, as Dhoulmagus is less likely to use Disruptive Wave if you just have Acceleratle up. Jessica should probably be defending for most of the fight, as it can result in one less person to have to heal, possibly leaving your Hero free to attack.

Prioritize moves that hit multiple times, like Falcon Slash, Multithrust, and Multishot. If Dhoulmagus is still wailing on you too much, it may be a good idea to actually set up extra buffs to bait him into using Disruptive Wave. Anytime he uses it is a move he doesn't spend attacking you.

If all else fails, you may need to go hunt Liquid Metal Slimes after all.

Hunted for 30 LMS for 30 minutes. Went up 5 levels. It was easier than switching tactics. Haha.

I was in the Dark world and mid 30s. Went KMS hunting, everyone is at or over 40 now. I'm pretty much good for the rest of the game now.

Having visible monsters almost breaks the game. I avoided almost every encounter and only leveled up by periodically going to the island to level grind for an hour or two. Made story progression easy at least.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best line of the topic. Hands down.

That is a good team, and I'm glad they secured the victory for you. If you're just looking for another strong team of monsters to summon out in the world, you might want to consider putting Talos into

Look at Mr. "I employ a proper strategy" over here. Thinking ahead and being prepared.

Need help: Hero is level 29, Yangus 28 and the other two 27 - I have reached Dhoulmagus in the Dark Ruins - I have no problem with the first half but can't seem to manage the second half - am I underleveled? What gear should I have by now? I understand at 30 Angelo gets multiheal - but I'm a long way from that...

Yes, severely. Multiheal makes the difference. There's an island hidden on the map all the way at the bottom left of the overworld. It's filled with LMS. Have at it there for a bit.
He's not underleveled at all. You do not need Multiheal, but your strategy has to change for the second half of the battle if you lack it.

The Hero should be on constant heal duty along with Angelo, unless a round comes where everyone's good to go. Yangus will be the main attacker here, using whatever his best attack skill is. Don't go overboard on buffs, as Dhoulmagus is less likely to use Disruptive Wave if you just have Acceleratle up. Jessica should probably be defending for most of the fight, as it can result in one less person to have to heal, possibly leaving your Hero free to attack.

Prioritize moves that hit multiple times, like Falcon Slash, Multithrust, and Multishot. If Dhoulmagus is still wailing on you too much, it may be a good idea to actually set up extra buffs to bait him into using Disruptive Wave. Anytime he uses it is a move he doesn't spend attacking you.

Hunted for 30 LMS for 30 minutes. Went up 5 levels. It was easier than switching tactics. Haha.
I was in the Dark world and mid 30s. Went KMS hunting, everyone is at or over 40 now. I'm pretty much good for the rest of the game now.

Having visible monsters almost breaks the game. I avoided almost every encounter and only leveled up by periodically going to the island to level grind for an hour or two. Made story progression easy at least.

It ABSOLUTELY does. 

I was in the Dark world and mid 30s. Went MKS hunting, everyone is at or over 40 now. I'm pretty much good for the rest of the game now.

Fixed. It always looks weird when people call them King Metal Slimes. Metal King Slime rolls off the tongue better.

Sounds like some people have been playing this game as Metal Gear Quest...

Anyway, I'm in the process of making Catholicon Rings for everyone. Memories Lane's bosses are starting to use ailments a lot, so it's time to splurge and make Catholicon Rings for everyone.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I am now champion of the B Rank in the Monster Arena.

I went straight from E through A last night. When can I go back for S?

At some point I really should climb the tower and then get Jessica back.

I am now champion of the B Rank in the Monster Arena.

I went straight from E through A last night. When can I go back for S?

At some point I really should climb the tower and then get Jessica back.

S Rank opens up right after you complete the events at Arcadia with Jessica, actually! You're close.

Thanks - found the island - took 30 minutes to find 4 or 5 LMS that would actually fight :) but got everyone to 30 - and......

DING! DONG! Dhoulmagus is dead :)

Well, I think I've had my fill of VIII, playtime ~83 hours. Maybe I'll pop it in now again to try and take down Estark or getting a piece of DLC. I never beat Rank X, never got all of Red's costumes(I'm sorry Red) and didn't do the Dragon Gauntlet.

Now all the only main line game left is IX. I'll play it eventually.

Now I've gotta go revaluate my favorite Dragon Quest games.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Well, I think I've had my fill of VIII, playtime ~83 hours. Maybe I'll pop it in now again to try and take down Estark or getting a piece of DLC. I never beat Rank X, never got all of Red's costumes(I'm sorry Red) and didn't do the Dragon Gauntlet.

Now all the only main line game left is IX. I'll play it eventually.

Now I've gotta go revaluate my favorite Dragon Quest games.

Did you go and beat Rhapthrone one more time after getting the Argon Ring for the original alternate ending?

Oh snap! I should probably do that, just to end this playthrough rightly.

Sounds like a plan. I was going to do the same once I finish everything. Memories Lane is getting worse... (Glares at Memory Evil Sir Leopold)

Sir Leopold in Memories Lane is just a jerk. For anyone planning to tackle this dungeon, here's some friendly advice: invest in Knives for Red or Jessica so she learns Toxic Sword, and try to Envenomate Sir Leopold. He'll take 999 damage each turn. If the hero is alive, summon both monster teams with the highest HP monsters you can get. Go get Pa Troll, Steropes, Skeledoid, any and all monsters who have very high HP (over 800 works best) and just let them fight it out. They will likely all die, but it means your characters won't thanks to Leopold's 650+ critical hits.

• Upvote 1

Something I've noticed as I've gained levels while grinding (I'm not going back into the damn Memories Lane until I'm level 99 for everyone): Yangus seems to shoot past everyone in levels after a certain point. He's sitting at level 95 right now, and BlindJim is the closest one behind him at level 91. Heck, Yangus is 10 levels higher than Jessica, who's been really lacking in level growth since she's only at level 85.

I find it interesting how this has all played out, because I wouldn't have guessed there would be such a difference.

Okay, where in the heck is the Archdemon/Archfiend? All the guides say it's on the bridge near Tyran Gulley, but I've been up and down that bridge countless times and it's just not there. I've beaten the game and am S rank in the arena.

Alright, I found 133 mini medals and claimed the final reward at Princess Minnie's Castle! Now the king is back to full health and I have one of Red's alternate coustumes.

Also, Yangus reached level 99. This was Trode's comment: "Yangus has reached the highest level. I only hope that nitwit doesn't let it go to his head!"

Winged Dhoulmagus is a real jerk in Memories Lane. Three times to act every turn, his intimidating scream has a VERY good chance of knocking party members over, his feather and Scorching Breath attacks can do over 300 damage to each party member, and he loves throwing out Disruptive Wave on turns you decide to attack after boosting tension and/or oomphing.

Now THIS is a difficult Dhoulmagus. Such a pity I keep dying though. >:|

WOO-HOO! I defeated Estark in the 15 turn limit ON THE FIRST TRY! Man, that was a good fight, and I'm feeling good for winning it in one go!

Estark is now the enemy I've done the most damage against. In one turn I managed 8,817 points of damage to him!

• Upvote 2

I've completed my next goal: finding all the monsters to earn the Gospel Ring. Only had four more monsters to track down, and after doing that got the fancy pants celebration theme and the Gospel Ring.

Now all I need to do to feel satisfied with this playthrough is complete all of Cameron's Codex challenges, get everyone to level 99 (only because everyone is so close at this point), and finish off Rhapthrone one last time for the original alternate ending.

I feel like I've completely taken over this thread, but with how much fun I've had with this playthrough I can't help myself but share the progress.

• Upvote 1

"Yangus has reached the highest level. I only hope that nitwit doesn't let it go to his head!"

Sounds like Den signature material.

Btw, congratulations on kicking DQVIII's ass. Sounds like you're about 100%ing it. Fun indeed!

"Yangus has reached the highest level. I only hope that nitwit doesn't let it go to his head!"

Sounds like Den signature material.

Btw, congratulations on kicking DQVIII's ass. Sounds like you're about 100%ing it. Fun indeed!

Thanks. It's been fantastic experiencing Dragon Quest VIII all over again in a new handheld format and with the new extras. Whether this or the PS2 version, this game is definitely one of my top 5 games of all time. This is the Dragon Quest game that does everything right in my book.

As for that line from Trode...well, if I ever reach the post amount to get to level 20 like you and Woodus, I'll definitely use that line in my signature. ;)

• Upvote 1