Dragon Quest VIII Progress

gooieooie

Well I made the Timrel of Tension, and few other things like a So,are Fan, and Oriental Wear. I think I'm gonna try and get everyone's alternate outfits. Especially Red's, I don't know if I've mentioned this p, but out of the playable characters, Red's probably my favorite.

Hmm...I'll have to reconsider Milly as best girl.

• Upvote 1

Currently at Simpleton, about to go back to the Abbey.

Also made note of the fact that Turbans still sell 410 gold, yet I didn't get 205 for each I made when I was at Peregrin Quay(I did make a solid amount, but still... It's not a rare item).

Man, screw Leopold. He wasn't hard by any stretch, but his random crits were bullshit. I'd always lose based on an unlucky critical knocking out the healer, which would relegate healing to the next person, who would get knocked out in the next turn because their HP was already low to begin with.

• Upvote 1

I just finished the game! My final party was Yangus (who has not once left the party I might add), BlindJim, Red, and Morrie. I'll post my thoughts on this version of the game soon enough, but I will say this for now: playing through the 3DS version gave me a firm reminder why Dragon Quest VIII is my favorite Dragon Quest game.

• Upvote 1

Well it took a while, but I now have all of Jessica's outfits, all that's left is the Dragovian(heh) armor, Angelo's butler clothes, Red's outfits, and Morrie's.

I've just finished the main storyline for Dragon Quest VIII! Now it's time for me to conquer the postgame content, and I've heard the postgame content in the Nintendo 3DS version is so much harder compared to the PlayStation 2 version, so I'm looking forward to that.

Boy, that last minute choice on how to change the ending for the hero was one of the sloppiest things I've seen added into a Dragon Quest game remake/port. Consider it one of my complaints about the 3DS version.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Boy, that last minute choice on how to change the ending for the hero was one of the sloppiest things I've seen added into a Dragon Quest game remake/port. Consider it one of my complaints about the 3DS version.

I know, right?

I just defeated Rhapthorne again, so I can (hopefully) quick save before going to Savella Cathedral and pick the option for the original ending.

Edit: And to also take a screenshot picture of Rhapthorne's troll-like face. :P

gallery_79921_117_28541.jpg

Edit #2: I can't quick save. That's a shame.

Edited by Dakhil

If only they had added in an extra line of him saying, "I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, HERO!" as he's dying. Would have complimented his Dr. Claw impression.

I just did th extra content with Marcello, and man, that dungeon was awesome just for the fact you could get another Rusty Sword and Orichalcum, and something called an Ethereal Stone that I'm sure is gonna be made into some overpowered weapon.

• Upvote 1

Alright, now all that's left is Reds ninja outfit, Angelos butler outfit, The Hero's Dragovian armor, and Red's Mandarin outfit.

Literally at Rhapthorne. Like, got the orbs and everything. Unfortunately my brain was so fried last night I didn't have the mental strength to see the battle and the cutscenes that would follow to the end and put it down. Will level grind and face him tonight hopefully. My party is disgustingly ill-equipped. Jess was using a scale shield up until YESTERDAY.

So I just opened up my Battle Records and Trode is commenting how impressed he is I made it this far with such "lowly levels." I'm sorry, but being level 43-45 is not low levels in my book when it comes to the end game of DQ8. If anything, I've felt overleveled for a long time in this playthrough.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I beat The Lord of the Dragovians! Woohoo! Though I suppose he had only just begun.

King > Lord. Duh!

Literally at Rhapthorne. Like, got the orbs and everything. Unfortunately my brain was so fried last night I didn't have the mental strength to see the battle and the cutscenes that would follow to the end and put it down. Will level grind and face him tonight hopefully. My party is disgustingly ill-equipped. Jess was using a scale shield up until YESTERDAY.

I had her a White Shield at Pickham. You're a Dquisgrace!

Now that the post game has opened up, it's time to start checking out some of the new content. First up is the Altar of Wroth near the Hilltop Hut. I'm happy to hear the song "Ruins of Darkness," being re-used for this area.

I beat The Lord of the Dragovians! Woohoo! Though I suppose he had only just begun.

King > Lord. Duh!

It gets so much worse. I haven't alchemized almost anything aside from the Thief's Key and a whip for Jessica. I still have "plain clothes" and "thieves grass skirt" and similar items in my party's individual bags and haven't done much sorting of the community bag.

• Upvote 1

King > Lord. Duh!

It gets so much worse. I haven't alchemized almost anything aside from the Thief's Key and a whip for Jessica. I still have "plain clothes" and "thieves grass skirt" and similar items in my party's individual bags and haven't done much sorting of the community bag.

Why?

King > Lord. Duh!

Why?
He said earlier: no reason other than lazy.

Handy from Sister Location: Stepchan is lagging far behind a lot of the others here playing the game. Let's motivate him with a controlled shock.

*Kazap*

Finished up the whole Argon Lizard quest, and I really, really want to punch Charmless in the face.

Your avatar is making me picture Peridot punching Charmles in the face while calling him a clod.

Someone needs to make fanart of that idea. ^

King > Lord. Duh!

Why?

I remember, but it can't just be that. We're talking laziness on a grand scale when one doesn't even bother to drop by a weapon and armor shop. I'm convinced he's just trying to challenge himself.

King > Lord. Duh!

Why?
I remember, but it can't just be that. We're talking laziness on a grand scale when one doesn't even bother to drop by a weapon and armor shop. I'm convinced he's just trying to challenge himself.

I go to weapon shops when I can but things cost a lot of money. Even when I wasn't skipping over monsters in the original I didn't have much to begin with. I skip over monsters to barrel through areas and level grind at Unknown Isle in exchange.

Well, there's your problem. Go grind for gold, crazy man.

I just finished up the Altar of Wroth dungeon, and honestly I'm disappointed in it. It was way shorter than I thought it was going to be, the boss at the end wasn't much of a challenge despite the build-up and his sudden power surge for round 2, and...sigh, the character who they decided to bring back for whatever reason.

At least the Altar has some good items to find. You can never have enough orchalcium.