Dragon Quest VIII Progress

I am now the Rank C Monster Champion. 

My current team is Spike, Talos, and Goldman.

Talos devastated the opposition in Rank C, so I'll roll him through to Rank B.

Working on more pictures for the Bestiary now in the Arcadia region.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry for reviving a dead post but I recently started playing the 3DS version of 8.  I'm just after the part where you help the mourning king. Found that amazing area that spawns Metal slimes and

Look at Mr. "I employ a proper strategy" over here. Thinking ahead and being prepared.

Blade Cascade is a wonderful attack skill. It's very much worth the investment in knives. Combine it with a Liquid Metal Sword and she's a metal killing machine.

I just got the ship and have visited Neos - not quite sure where to go next ...

Question for those that have gotten this far: did the difficulty level crank itself up after getting the ship? In Trodain and the area surrounding the ship I had no problems with easily handling the wandering encounters there... Hero 25 - Boomerang, Jess 22 - Whips, Yangus 24-  Axe, Angelo 22 - Multi Shot - but once I hit Neos all of a sudden everything got to the point that I seem to lose someone every encounter of more than 2-3 mobs - golems hit for 50+ so Jess is dead in two attacks (I have her at the back of the party)... I have bought newer weapons and some armour but I am surprised by how often I have characters dying - not sure if it's the game or something I am doing wrong...

Technically you weren't supposed to go to Neos yet.  Going to the big western continent (basically directly west of where you get the boat) is what you're "supposed" to do.  You'll find the monsters there right about your level.

Man, eff Empyrea. You basically gotta hit her with a non-stop barrage of magic to take her down. Meanwhile, I remember Gemon being easy but he got me this time. Pure luck, he knocked out the hero before he could get out an omniheal, then Angelo before he could kazing him back.

After some treasure hunting and the completing some photo quests, I'm on my way to fight Marcello.

Let me say this, I love the new cutscenes!

Edited by Dakhil

Beat Gemon much more easily and level grinded hard. I'm almost at the point where I can avoid fighting monsters and just go through the rest of the game. I'm about to face Evil Sir Leopold as we speak, so I might finish by tomorrow night.

Man, eff Empyrea. You basically gotta hit her with a non-stop barrage of magic to take her down. Meanwhile, I remember Gemon being easy but he got me this time. Pure luck, he knocked out the hero before he could get out an omniheal, then Angelo before he could kazing him back.

Everyone says Gemon was easy for them but he was always a pain in the ass for me, he didn't give me so much trouble this time around but in the original I remember him giving me much more trouble than Empyrea

Empryea was pretty surprising; after making it around just fine, I fought her and immediately felt that the difficulty took a MASSIVE spike. Had to do level grinding, and then she ended up being easier. Gemon was fairly easy for me.

I'm surprised so many people found Empyrea difficult. I just beat her with no problems and all it took was summoning my two monster teams followed by Yangus and BlindJim using Oomphed 20 tension Paralax and Multithrust. I mean, she hits hard, but I've never had trouble fighting her. Heck, this is the highest I've been level wise when playing DQ8 at this point (everyone between level 38 to 40) and she wasn't any different from my usual levels of 33 to 35 from the past.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Boom, first Timbrel of Tension acquired! For some reason I thought you couldn't make one of these until just before the final boss fight, so I'm glad I was mistaken so I could get this bad boy. Can't wait to slaughter the remaining bosses with the help of this thing.

I guess I can also fly around the world now or whatever, but who cares about that when you have the Timbrel of Tension?

• Upvote 1

You know, I think I'll try tackling Heavenly Dais today, Yangus, can you tell me how to make a Timbrel of Tension? I'm sure it'll useful.

Sure thing.

First, fly to Empchyu and use the Godbird Stone. As you fly around the island, look for the Light World equivalent of the Godbird's Eyrie dungeon. Right next to the dungeon towards the east is a decent sized plateau you can land on, and here'll you will find a Skull Helm. There are clouds that mark the location where you can land.

Open the alchemy pot and mix the Skull Helm with Saint's Ashes, and you'll earn a Sun Crown. Take the Sun Crown and mix it with a Magic Beast Hide and Tough Guy Tattoo, and you'll have the Timbrel of Tension!

There's another Skull Helm or Sun Crown you can obtain in the post game either in the Heavenely Dias or in the dungeon right before it (I can't remember which it is I'm afraid) and you can take this second helmet to create another Timbrel.

Depending on your party, Yangus makes a good candidate for the Timbrel. His slow speed means everyone else can psyche up, get another tension boost from the Timbrel, and next turn everyone but Yangus will have 20 tension. Combing that with Morrie boosting his or another's tension could lead to devastating results!

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I'll have to get an enemy to drop magic beast hide first though.

That's definitely the hardest part of the recipe. Let me look in the guide book for the PS2 version as soon as I can and I'll see what enemies drop it.

Alright Dragovian, here's what I found:

Magic Beast Hide: Dropped by Bullfinch, Diemon, Fat Bat, Headhunter, Great Sabrecat, Jumping Jackal, Silenus, Orc King, Hellhound, and Frou-Frou.

• Upvote 1

I could swear Goreillas drop them too.

The green ones, around Pickham? Pretty sure I got mine from them.

That sounds more like a Minidemon.

I just posted what the guide book says for the PS2 version. They likely added several other monsters who can now drop Magic Beast Hides.

I just posted what the guide book says for the PS2 version. They likely added several other monsters who can now drop Magic Beast Hides.

Yellowish Green?

ebc84476c373301439c784fc6485bd48.jpg

Edited by Plattym3

Yellowish Green?

He does look kind of green in his artwork. In game they look more yellow to me.

Alright Dragovian, here's what I found:

Magic Beast Hide: Dropped by Bullfinch, Diemon, Fat Bat, Headhunter, Great Sabrecat, Jumping Jackal, Silenus, Orc King, Hellhound, and Frou-Frou.

Thanks a lot Yangus!

Managed to get enough Mini Medals after doing all the rounds to places you can reach via flight and got Morrie's Jester's Outfit. He's looking pretty sharp (and fitting) as a Jester, and really all the new costumes added for the characters are pretty nice. It's odd though that Morrie and Yangus only got one alternate coustume though.

Yellowish Green?

He does look kind of green in his artwork. In game they look more yellow to me.

Yeah, those guys. They dropped Magic Beast Hides in the original game too. If you had the patience, you could farm them to amass a small pile of the things.

• Upvote 1

Hey eal, the backstory scene between Medea and the hero is now during the events that follow the fight with Evil Sir Leoplod.

Hey eal, the backstory scene between Medea and the hero is now during the events that follow the fight with Evil Sir Leoplod.

Yeah, King mentioned it. I haven't been able to get to it because the cutscenes after the fight takes forever and I had to get up early for work today and really didn't wanna slog through those scenes before bed.