Sign in to follow this  
gooieooie

Dragon Quest VIII Progress

As of last night, I've put in about 5 1/2 hours, and just stayed the night at Port Prospect after getting the Phtography challenges from Cameron. 

I'm headed to Alexandria Tower now. Decided to grind a little bit outside of town for some better gear. 

Instead of going sword with the Hero I decided on Boomerang this time. Yangus is focusing on Axe.

• Upvote 1

Currently splitting the Hero's skills between spears and swords, Yangus is focusing on axes, Angelo with bows, and staves for Jessica.

At Ascantha right now. I really like experimenting with the Alchemy Pot, though I'm kind of scared I'll end up wasting rare items, combined a Rosary and Lance into a Holy Lance.

Made it across the sea. Damn DQVIII keeping me from my work. 2487/4000 words. Been doing photography for a bit after I got Jessica. Next break after 3000 words!

Just completed Ascantha, en route to Pickham now. I'm really close to where I stopped in the PS2 version, and I'm very excited to see everything else the game has to offer!

• Upvote 1

I suppose as far as we know so far, the Alchemy Pot hasn't changed much between the PS2 and 3Ds version? If so I'll just keep my DQ8 Prima guide handy so I can use that list for stuff.

In Trodain now, and I've discovered an exploit with the visual encounters.

As long as you're not too close, you can look at where an enemy spawns, do quick circles with the Circle Pad (you can just rotate around), and flip the camera around all the way... and a new enemy will spawn there, and the old one will be gone! So if you're in a dungeon with an enemy you're trying to get, like Metals, try this!

Also, I stopped at the Trap Box in the PS2 version, so I'm farther than I've ever gotten! :)

Edited by gooieooie

In Trodain now, and I've discovered an exploit with the visual encounters.

As long as you're not too close, you can look at where an enemy spawns, do quick circles with the Circle Pad (you can just rotate around), and flip the camera around all the way... and a new enemy will spawn there, and the old one will be gone! So if you're in a dungeon with an enemy you're trying to get, like Metals, try this!

Also, I stopped at the Trap Box in the PS2 version, so I'm farther than I've ever gotten! :)

You are chugging right along.

I'm in port Prospect, and I'm just doing the camera challenges I've been assigned. Haven't picked up Jessica yet.

I can't remember if the Double Bubble item was in the original game, but if you're unsure how to use it, using it from the menu uses is.

The next 10 battles you get double gold/EXP. I accidentally used it before fighting the squid outside of Port Prospect.

I'm saving mine for future MKS hunts.

I can't remember if the Double Bubble item was in the original game, but if you're unsure how to use it, using it from the menu uses is.

The next 10 battles you get double gold/EXP. I accidentally used it before fighting the squid outside of Port Prospect.

As far as I can remember, there's never been an item like that in PS2 version.

Gonna grind up a bit. Surprised to see leveling up heals you now.

That's been nice. I did the first hour just walking around battling to level 6 and never needed an Inn!

That reminds me of the US version of Vay for the Sega CD. They made the enemies stronger(and the spells cost an absurd amount of MP), but you recover your HP/MP after level up.

• Upvote 1

Where did you get that?

I can't remember if the Double Bubble item was in the original game...

It wasn't.

Where did you get that?

It's a prize for doing Cameron's Codex requests.

I just finished Ascantha a bit ago, I was kinda surprised they changed the vague directions for bookshelf recipes into specifics.

I don't really mind how the game looks, it's not as impressive as the PS2 version but it still looks very nice.

Also Angelo is still hilarious, Glaceon approved.

• Upvote 1

7bb22f6f0addcab9f7372e4bd236ea9e.jpg

And thus Kefkamorts Quest to destroy the seven reverse horcruxes began.

8 hours in, just reached Maella Abbey. I haven't played this game in about a decade, but it's as great as I remember! It's a shame about the audiovisual downgrade, but the core gameplay is very refined and addictive. I especially appreciate the symbol encounters on the world map, which make exploring more fun and also bring the world to life a bit.

• Upvote 1

Got done with Ascantha, and all the photo quests up to that point. Probably about 12 hours into the file now.

What little game time I got yesterday ( no complaints, had friends over instead) went to photo challenges from Farebury to Peregrin Quay after gaining Jessica.  At 8 hours in, I'm all caught up on the Kodak Codex (pun just as intended as any in DQ history), and am about to set off for Maella in my next session.  I'll be saving Cameron's Double Bubble for some point in post-game when leveling with Metal Kings for the post-game challenges I assume are still in here.

A word on skill points: I'm starting with a razor sharp focus on two skill ladders apiece for each character for now, until those ladders are topped off.  I'm doing one weapon and the character's unique ladder. I'm focusing hero on Swords and Courage, Yangus on Axes and Humanity,  Jessica on Whips and Sex Appeal (not for any perceived correlation between the two, but because group damage is needed), and when I get Angelo, I'm going Bows and Charisma.  I don't know the unique personality ladders for Red and Morrie, but I'll be doing their unique weapons (Fan and Claws ) and their personal ladders as well.  My first run saw me scatter my points to wide at first, I'm seeing what a sharper focus does for my game by sticking to two branches until they are full.  I suspect by the time I tire of post-game most ladders will be full anyways. 

Edit:  do they sell paella at Maella?

Edited by The Dog of Zahan
  • Upvote 1

Ummm... paella.

Ok, I looked and I don't have a double bubble and I've done tons of photos 😕

Ummm... paella.

You must not be taking pictures hard enough.

Ummm... paella.

Ok, I looked and I don't have a double bubble and I've done tons of photos

Did you go back to Cameron Obscura  in Port Prospect and get the  cards he gives you stamped?  When you do that, he gives you stuff.  Most of it is stuff that wasn't even in the original  PS2 version.  He's by the fountain in the center of Port Prospect if you haven't even talked to him.  He looks like an avearge "Snooty Old Aristocrat" NPC so he  may be easy to miss if you don't chat up evern NPC in the game.

Ummm... paella.

You must not be taking pictures hard enough.
I'll do it harder.

I just found out that when your party gets wiped out, you don't have to resurrect them back at the church.

Where did you get that?

You get it for finishing the Alexandria region stamp card.