Sign in to follow this  
chillv

Did anyone like the foreign language colloquialisms in Dragon Quest 7?

Being an avid language learner, it was fun seeing the foreign language colloquialisms like "It is strictly verboten (forbidden)," "No te preocupes (Don't worry about it)," a character being called a "Dummkopf (Dimwit)" and using the term "oder (or)" to mean "Am I right?". Also names like "Al-Balad" and "L'Arca" were absolutely just awesome to see for me. Not to mention, it did give the feeling of exploring places around the world.

I do wonder though how people feel about it. Did it ever make conversations hard to follow or confusing? I know one of them I found difficult because I believe they were in Dutch and Portuguese which I was absolutely unfamiliar with, so I had to use context and at times try to find Spanish and German cognates, since they are related and I know them to a better degree, to understand the statements.

I will say however, understanding the statements did make exploring the different areas fun for me. They didn't seem to overdo it though, but I wouldn't know considering my personal perspective on it.

I love them, of course. I know that they're pretty hit and miss with most fans, but I love the regional accents they've placed into everything. Not just in 7 but in DQ as a whole. ESPECIALLY with Kiryl and Alena in Heroes. It makes the worlds feel more lifelike. When you're travelling around the world, you're not gonna find people who sound like you. Hell, I can travel around the US and see different dialects

• Upvote 1

Personally, while I like the British accents used, as this is a carry over from the Japanese version using different Japanese dialects, and I'm all for averting lost in translation, I'm honestly not a fan of using Non-English accents. They come across as rather silly and forced, since they speak mainly English anyway.

So yeah, I just prefer limiting to English, I suppose.

Edited by Glaceon Mage
  • Upvote 1

I don't mind them too much, since it gives personality to the NPCs.

"'ey ragazzo!"

Just weighing in, and while I do miss ye olde english in my Dragon Quest (the pseudo-Elizabethan dialect used in the first 3 NES Games)  I've come to appreciate the localization's globe-trotting accents. 

I like it! Gives more charm to the series. 

• Upvote 1

They're solidly OK. I never question everyone in a world speaking the same language. After all, everyone in the Stargate galaxy pretty much spoke English.

I don't mind the accents. Though we need more Scottish accents like in DQIV.

It doesn't bother me much it's usually easy enough to figure out with the context. I do kind of miss the courtly English of the old titles though. I kind of thought that Sancho in V was pushing it a little, he sounded kind of like Speedy Gonzales or something.

• Upvote 2

This is sarcastic right?

This is sarcastic right?

What do you think?

This is sarcastic right?
What do you think?

I think everyone deserves a drink. Have a round on me, guys!

*passes around bottles of beer*

This is sarcastic right?
Aye.

This is sarcastic right?
What do you think?
I think everyone deserves a drink. Have a round on me, guys!

*passes around bottles of beer*

BottleS? As in plural? Oh hell no! The proper way is to take ONE down and pass it around. Every elementary school age student knows that!

Are you sure I was being sarcastic?