Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest VIII Reviews Thread

So, reviews for the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII are live now. As more reviews pop in, I'll update the thread.

Overall:

- Metacritic: 86

- OpenCritic: 85

English:

- Eurogamer: Recommended

- IGN: 8.8/10

- Nintendo Life: 9/10

- Critical Hit: 9/10

- The Sixth Axis: 9/10

- God is a Geek: 8/10

- Trusted Reviews: 4/5

- Cubed3: 9/10

- Nintendo Insider: 9/10

- Metro: 7/10

- Wffctech: 8.5/10

- N-Europe: 10/10

- Brash Games: 8/10

- SA Gamer: 9.2/10

- Attack of the Fanboy: 4.5/5

- Pocket Gamer: 8/10

- Nintendo Enthusiast: 9/10

Gaming Boulevard: 9/10

- Onelargeprawn: 9/10

My Nintendo News: 8.5/10

- Ars Technica:  Recommended

- Everybody Plays: 4.5/5

- Nintendo Everything: Thumbs up

Other languages:

Wiitalia: 8.5/10 (Italian)

- Eurogamer.it: 8/10 (Italian)

- Everyeye.it: 8.4/10 (Italian)

- Multiplayer.it: 9/10 (Italian)

- SpazioGames: 9/10 (Italian)

- The Games Machine: 9.2/10 (Italian)

GamesVillage.it 9/10 (Italian)

- Gamesurf: 9/10 (Italian)

- IGN Italia: 9/10 (Italian)

GamerClick: 93/100 (Italian)

- Hobby Consolas: 93/100 (Spanish)

- MeriStation: 9.2/10 (Spanish)

- IGN España: 8/10 (Spanish)

- 3DJuegos: 9/10 (Spanish)

- Vandal: 8.5/10 (Spanish)

- Gamereactor España: 9/10 (Spanish)

- FNintendo: 9/10 (Portuguese)

- XGN: 8.5/10 (Dutch)

- InsideGamer: 6.8/10 (Dutch)

- FOK!: 9/10 (Dutch)

- Gameblog: 10/10 (French)

- JeuxActu: 18/20 (French)

- Millenium: 90/100 (French)

Anagund: 17/20 (French)

- Gamer-Network: 9/10 (French)

GamAlive: 3.5/5 (French)

IGN France: 8.8/10 (French)

- Journal du Gamer: 8.5/10 (French)

- Gamekult: 7/10 (French)

- Gamekyo: 8/10 (French)

- Planet3DS.de: 9/10 (German)

- 4Players: 83/100 (German)

- Zing.cz: 7/10 (Czech)

- Unboxholics: 9/10 (Greek)

Video Reviews:

NComms: 9.7/10

HappyConsoleGamer: Recommended

Electric Playground: 8.5/10

Edited by Dakhil

It makes me almost shed a tear to see the game doing so well in review scores.

Yeah yeah! Hopefully this gets fans of these review sites to pick up the game!

I'm so glad the game is getting good reviews.

I've got to hurry up and pre order mine.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

I have three responses to this news. Choose whichever one you want by clicking one of the spoiler tags:

A.

Hooray hurrah hooroo hooree.

B.

Are people surprised DQ8 is getting praise and good scores again? The PS2 was well received, so this is just history repeating itself, which is good news of course.

C.

COR BLIMEY!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I picked B. Maybe it's not that people are surprised, but just really glad the game got good scores, it's good publicity.

Shoulda gone with C. That's the insightful one.

Shoulda gone with C.

See, that was my philosophy for middle school, it didn't work out to well, I still get flashbacks.

I have three responses to this news. Choose whichever one you want by clicking one of the spoiler tags:

A.

B.

Are people surprised DQ8 is getting praise and good scores again? The PS2 was well received, so this is just history repeating itself, which is good news of course.

C.

COR BLIMEY!

Can I pick both B and C?

A.

B.

C.

COR BLIMEY!

Can I pick both B and C?

HAHA NOOOOO.

A.

B.

C.

COR BLIMEY!

Can I pick both B and C?
HAHA NOOOOO.
I'm picking C then.

Excellent choice.

Nice scores. Hopefully this positivity outweighs the inevitable drama about censorship/soundtrack issues.

Shoulda gone with C. That's the insightful one.

Hey, that's the one I chose! Quite a fitting response for you, too.

Nice scores. Hopefully this positivity outweighs the inevitable drama about censorship/soundtrack issues.

Maybe we should skip that $#!& on the Den. Have you noticed that we here really aren't too pissed off about that stuff? Let GameFAQs complain or Facebook folks rant. If your not complaining, don't mention other people who are. It'd keep us happier.

Sorry for bringing bad news, but Dragon Quest VIII received its first score of 7 from Metro, bringing down its Metacritic score to a 86 and its OpenCritic score to a 85.

Edited by Dakhil

Sorry for bringing bad news, but Dragon Quest VIII received its first score of 7 from Metro, bringing down its Metacritic score to a 86 and its OpenCritic score to a 85.

7 IS NOT a bad score. That's still considered "good, but not great."

I've never understood why in the last few years that if a game gets a score of 7 or so, some people (or at least GameFAQs) act like the game must be $#!& then because it didn't get an 8 or higher. It's just a number that's insignificant and doesn't speak for the quality of the game, but rather that reviewer's take on the game. I mean, Dragon Quest 6 got a 7.5 in Nintendo Power, and the reviewer said it was a good game but their were aspects he felt didn't like.

I apologize for the mini rant, but I really hate how things have become some kind of number game. I always want to say to people "Play the game for yourself and make your own judgment."

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 2

I've never understood why in the last few years that if a game gets a score of 7 or so, some people (or at least GameFAQs) act like the game must be $#!& then because it didn't get an 8 or higher. It's just a number that's insignificant and doesn't speak for the quality of the game, but rather that reviewer's take on the game. I mean, Dragon Quest 6 got a 7.5 in Nintendo Power, and the reviewer said it was a good game but their were aspects he felt didn't like.

I apologize for the mini rant, but I really hate how things have become some kind of number game. I always want to say to people "Play the game for yourself and make your own judgment."

To play devil's advocate, there's no demo of Dragon Quest VIII available, so people can't really play the game for themselves and make their own judgment (without having to fork over a good chunk of their own hard-earned money).

But other than that, I agree that people are too obsessed with numerical scores when it comes to reviews in general.

Number scores need to stop, because people just see the number and pass judgement on a game without taking into account exactly what a reviewer said. All the important stuff in a review comes before the arbitrary number, yet so many seem to pay it no attention.

Once again, this image is relevant

kj3gFME.jpg

• Upvote 5

Once again, this image is relevant

kj3gFME.jpg

I believe this what business those business people call, the 80/20 rule.

If it was based on review scores.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians
  • Upvote 1