Sign in to follow this  
Don'tSellTheFlameSword

Whats your favorite Monster in Dragon Quest?

What are your favorite monsters? What do you like about them?

For me it's the mini-demons, the design is cute and I always get a kick out of them trying to cast these deadly spells and falling over because the they don't have the mp for it. It's like they want so badly to be malicious but they just can't pull it off.

I like the ''Pod'' family of monsters for the same reason you like Minidemon. It's bitter-sweet that Dq7-3D added Kernels, essentially being just Pods who CAN use those devastating spells on you. That aside, I don't think it's any surprise when I say my most favouritest monster is the GigaDraco, mostly for nostalgia reasons. 7 was the first DQ I played all the way through, and one of my first RPGs in general, so a lot of those monsters imprinted on me. My first Monster raising game was Cobi's Journey, so naturally, the three monsters I used in that game; Jamirus, GigaDraco and Gorago, also left a big mark on me.

The WhiteKing (my absolute favorite DQ monster, love the decrepit design from Dragon Quest V and the backstory for the monster in the Dragon Warrior Monsters games on the Gameboy Color), Roboster, RougeNite/Restless Armour, Golem, and Hell Gladiator (hopefully that's the right name) are my favorite DQ monsters.

Probably Meowgicians/CatMages. I like cats and I like mages.

I really like the Sanguini enemies in IX as well, though. Oh, and Jailcats.

• Upvote 1

Golems. All the golems.

I like the design. I like that in the first DQ you have to fight one that's protecting a town. I like the gold that the gold golems drop. Golems are great in DQ5. Really one of the best offensive monsters and a decent recruit rate to boot. Let us not forget how awesome the golem team is in DQ8. When My 3 Golems becomes Mazin... it's clobbering time!

Edited by GrandAlchemist

Slime family monsters, especially the metal and gem ones. Hard to be more specific. King Metal Slime is always my goal in a DQM game and then onward from there. Obviously PlatKings!

I like the catmages and golems a lot too. I really like the killer mechs just for how wacky and anachronistic they are, you throw some of them into a dungeon and it's just like one of these things is not like the others. I like canniboxes for both their design and how DQ handles them, most games with mimics they either drop good treasure or give unusually high XP/Gold in DQ you just get screwed out of a chest and thrown into a tough fight. I've also always loved the design for the NES/SNES western dragons and miss them in the later games.

Edited by Don'tSellTheFlameSword

I'm with Platty on my favorite being metal just because of the extra experience, especially those big Metal King slimes in 4 around the Zenithian Tower.  I also think the Slime Knights in 5 are an awesome party member.  And of course those Goldmen (Gold Golems in the IOS version) in DQ1 for the $$$.  ;)

• Upvote 1

I have a soft spot for Dracky. Couldn't say why. Maybe because it was my first monster in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker.

The first monster design I saw that I really liked was the Mecha-Mynah.

It's a split between Goodybag and Mimic.

These two are my absolute favorite(s).

Followup are Slimes Which I have nearly a dozen plushes of at this point. 

I really want a Goodybag one but the prices for those online are always way more than I am willing to pay.

I love Golems too, I have one of the Metallic Monster gallery Golems here on my desk at work. Their design is just so cool.

I love so many of the designs that I don't think I could cover them all in a timely manner or in one post, but these are some of the tops that I love.

• Upvote 1

For regular rando monsters?  Muddy Hand and Lunatick AKA Goopi and Druin.  Muddy Hand for the fact that you can farm them easily , and Lunatick for the creepy buggy tentackly design.  Closely followed by the Gold Golems, for the huge bounty... a walking stack of gold ingots?  Count me in!

For Bosses?  I like the bosses Psaro the Manslayer (Necrosaro) or the Marquis de Leon (King Keeleon) from DQ (DW) 4.  Psaro and the   Secret of Evolution are so cool and dangerous... keeps adapting his body to the battle like a Borg, getting stronger the more you wail on him.  Also, the Marquis de Leon is pretty cool.  He's an 8 limbed lion!

By design I like the Knight Abhorrent variety, and the Skeleton (swordsmen) equally.

But my favorite as an opponent has to be the Puppeteer from DQ8, it just cracks me up lol.

By design I like the Knight Abhorrent variety, and the Skeleton (swordsmen) equally.

But my favorite as an opponent has to be the Puppeteer from DQ8, it just cracks me up lol.

I hear he made those puppets all by himself.

I forgot about Restless Knights. I love their design as well. 

I am a fan of Snowbirds/Blizzardies due to Dragon Warrior Monsters, they have always been very effective and reliable, and I remember the one I had for Dragon Warrior Monsters. I also like Egdracil and Digsters due to it.

I also love Aquarion, Canzar, and Hydra thanks to their appearences in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2.

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee
  • Upvote 1

I've always been a big fan of the classic slime, Slime Knight, and Dracky.

One day I will get a DQ tattoo, and it will contain one of my favorite DQ monsters.

• Upvote 1

I like lots of monsters,but mostly Hipsters (Jambalayans) and lotsa bosses

• Upvote 1

I love the Minidemons like you do. I love how there is a Minidemon trying to maintain a shop in Nottagen and laughing with a sinister laugh as he sells you items. I love how the shopkeeper refers to how he seems to love playing the role of a merchant and how the Minidemon can only seem to sell overpriced Medical Herbs, Pot Lids and Antidotes. Just for laughs, I bought an herb from him just to see his reaction.

I also love the Slimes. They look like they would make good pets, to be honest, and I see them as the Weiner Dogs of the Dragon Quest world.

Golems. I love the golems. Classic design.

Slime Knights. I mainly loves these because of Dragon Quest V. I keep a green slime night in my party for the entire game every playthrough. They're essentially a mid-level priest in terms of ability.

Wyverns/Chimaeras. I've always loved these guys.

Mech Soldiers. They're so out of place that I love them.

Bad Apples. They're so funny-looking.

Sanguini. These little suckers are amusing: they're all puffy-looking and cute but then bare these deadly fangs and deal surprisingly high damage to your party. They remind me of the Gremlins from the Gremlins movies.

Ghosts. I love these guys and how they resemble Freddy Kruger with a pointy hat.

best monster the metal slime family. Cause you have to be quick to even kill them. Best bosses. That's easy the four spirits from the bonus dungeon in VII. 

I love so many of the dragon quest beasties, that it's truly hard to choose only one or two. I love Slimes, with Metal slimes being my absolute favorite sub category of monsters. My top 5 slimes are:
1. Metal King
2. Metabble
3. Metaly
4. CureKing
5. GoldSlime

Material monsters, however, tend to be my favorite family in general, with my top 5 being:
1. Revirock (DQVII)
2. Bombcrag
3. MadPot (DQVII)
4. EvilPot
5. Goldman

I also love the major boss monsters (or demon lords, as it were), and my top 5 are:
1. Deathmore (final form)
2. Zoma
3. Pizzaro
4. Baramos
5. Mirudraas (Transformed)

However, if I had to pick only ONE, it would be Witch from dragon quest VIII... you see, I simply can't help myself! ^_^

GigaDraco, DWM2 colored though, it just looks like it wants to FSU.

A Seminole fan draws near?

GigaDraco, DWM2 colored though, it just looks like it wants to FSU.

A Seminole fan draws near?

Eh they're alright...go gators ...

F**K SH*T UP is what I was going for.