Sign in to follow this  
chillv

You encounter the new user chillv

Hi there, I'm chillv. I'm a recent fan of Dragon Quest and can't get enough of the series the minute I laid hands on it. I'm also into some ofSquare Enix's other franchises such as Kingdom Hearts, Theathrhythm and Fortune Street. I also like anime, manga as well as studying languages (and obviously one of them is Japanese) and academics such as math, science and the humanities. With my introduction out of the way, I want to tell my story about my entry into the series, as it is quite an interesting one, but it's also long one unfortunately, so this will be an essay.

Growing up, I was never really introduced to RPGs and only had some experience from playing Pokemon Diamond once as a kid, and it didn't interest me very much. My first encounter with Square Enix came when I got Kingdom Hearts 2, in which I pretty much sucked at because I could not understand it's combat (I was a kid at this point so it was pretty foreign to me) but regardless I did like the game (even though I never even got past the introduction XD).

For years, the RPG genre pretty much just didn't catch my attention, and I don't even remember seeing any ads for RPGs that interested me. One time, on some gaming channel though, I saw the hosts talking about Dragon Quest 9. The game's fantasy vibe won me over quite a lot as a kid, but never got around to getting it, most likely due to other games and also because I don't think I remembered the name of the game at all after seeing it.

Skip over some years later, and I got my first RPG, which was... Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time. Unfortunately, it wasn't my best entry into the genre. I did like the gameplay, but I got stuck easily and often became confused about what I was supposed to do or what I was doing wrong when playing and failing multiple times. Let's just say, even though it was not a traditional RPG, it did leave a bad taste in my mouth for the genre as a whole, and I thought that the RPG genre was not for me, which made me very unwilling to try to get back in.

Then, Earthbound happened. I heard a lot about the franchise, and decided to download in on the Wii U Virtual Console, and absolutely loved it. The very simple turn based RPG gameplay, with only a few differences to make it unique, made the game very fun to play, and I absolutely adored the story. I even went on to play Earthbound Beginnings, and loved it despite it's rather outdated design that turned many Earthbound fans away from the game. I finally found an RPG that I could enjoy all the way to the end. I won't say I didn't have difficulty, but I found the strategy and battle system simplistic enough to get into. This softened up my feelings for RPGs, but I was still skeptical for some reason even after enjoying Earthbound. I for some reason felt that Earthbound was maybe just "easier" and "an exception".

However, not too long ago, I heard about Dragon Quest 7 being localized. I didn't think much of it, until I saw the promotions on Nintendo's YouTube channel about the game and the game's official website. I also found a video about the game where someone told their story about playing the game. Nonetheless, this whole "classic-style RPG" thing I heard intrigued me quite a bit. I also knew that Earthbound was inspired by Dragon Quest, which caught my attention even more. With all of that being said, dismissed all of skepticism from past RPGs I've played, and decided to try out Dragon Quest for the first time. "After all, Dragon Quest 9 caught my attention" I thought. Keep in mind, at the time, I couldn't find many modern games that I liked, not even remakes. Everything was ranging from absolute trash to mediocre, and on rare occasions permissible for me (and only a few or so actually left an impact on me) so I was kind of taking a leap of faith going into it. 

When I switched the game on and went through the file creation prompts though, I was in for big surprise. I can conclusively say that Dragon Quest 7 was unlike anything I ever played in such a long time. It brought me nostalgia even though I was just beginning the game and playing it for the first time. "Why" and "how" you might ask. Well, it's because it brought me back to the feelings I had when playing games as a kid. From the story to the gameplay, in it's entire design, it encourages curiosity and adventure. It isn't trying to be straight and to the point, or hardcore, It tells a story with characters and events you can personally relate to. The game isn't trying to be so super serious, complex and action based, you're not some chosen one with some really ridiculous excursion you suddenly get caught up in. Your entire situation in every scenario in the game is believable, and the game isn't afraid to make something seem completely dire or even hopeless, and it'll even show through it's difficulty, but when you do, you actually feel like you've made an accomplishment and overriden whatever giant came you way in your quest. The game also knows how to keep things simple and only ask of you to focus on your pure wit and preparation rather than some complex, convoluted strategic features in gameplay.

Beyond that, throughout the game, some of the tasks that some gamers may perceive as mundane, slow and pace/flow-breaking or even unnecessary, but to me it felt as a way of the game knowing when to slow down for you to just relax and focus on the good before something else pops up or you must proceed onward. You're able to take in the benefits of your accomplishments before challenging another feat.

All of that makes for an RPG game that was immersive, felt like you were going on an actual adventure and actually (as the genre name suggest) made me feel like I was actually playing the role of the protagonist and his story. And to this day, few RPGs yet alone games in general have left that impact on me. And quite honestly, it brought me back, as that was what intrigued me about video games as a kid, but I have had yet to see many modern games or current franchises that gave me feeling, but Dragon Quest, especially 7 happened to not fly into that category.  But most of all it gave me a better light of what RPGs can be and definitely what Dragon Quest is. 

As of now, I bought a PS4 to play Heroes and Builders (as well as other games) and eventually Heroes II, and despite being spinoffs, they gave me the very similar feelings that I got from 7, but maybe in a different way (Heroes isn't very immersive as you play as a protagonist that talks, but it has the same feel in terms of story and a lot of Dragon Quest fanservice, which is enough for me). And I definitely plan on getting my hands on Dragon Quest 8 Journey of the Cursed King when it releases. My feelings about the impact that Dragon Quest 7 gave on me for the series and RPGs as a whole is kind of hard to explain, but I hope my story better describes the reason behind my instant love for this franchise. And with that, I will take my leave and start to join the discussion.

*Chillv used Zoom*

Awesome story! Welcome to the franchise and the Den! We have a special little corner of the Internet here, it sounds like you'll fit right in.

Welcome to Dragon's Den. Man those are some interesting entry points into the genre, a Pokémon themed roguelike, Kingdom hearts 2 and DQ7. When you get a chance you should go back and play some older Dragon Quest and maybe some Final Fantasy while you're at it.

• Upvote 1

Shalom.

Yo. Welcome to our fine realm. Entry's free, of course, but you gotta pay for a Puff-Puff.

Oh, well, that's quite the introduction.

If you liked VII, I'd recommend VI as well, as it's probably the DQ most like it. I enjoy it, at least, maybe a bit because bias.

Anyway... here's Len and some chocolate, welcome and enjoy your stay!

lvdVy1j.jpg

Very cool story, glad you found us :)

If you liked VII, I'd recommend VI as well, as it's probably the DQ most like it. I enjoy it, at least, maybe a bit because bias.

People dislike VI? I thought it was a pretty solid entry. The vocation system was a bit rough but I'm pretty sure they were in uncharted territory.Anyway the story was pretty solid and man it was pretty.Those banana slimes were cute too. Edited by Don'tSellTheFlameSword

People dislike VI? I thought it was a pretty solid entry. The vocation system was a bit rough but I'm pretty sure they were in uncharted territory.Anyway the story was pretty solid and man it was pretty.Those banana slimes were cute too.

I personally adore Dragon Quest VI, it's my favorite DQ and in my top five favorite games overall.

But not everyone here shares that sentiment. Which is fine, opinions and all.

I think Mudo was probably my favorite DQ boss fight. I walked in blind and got slaughtered and came back better prepared albeit a bit drunk and just barely survived against him. The whole time I kept on saying to my wife "THIS is what a boss fight should be!"

We bite