Sign in to follow this  
Don'tSellTheFlameSword

Japanese for DQ XI

Hey I've decided that I can't wait for XI to get localized and was wondering if anyone else felt similarly? I think that DQ might be reasonable to attempt playing untranslated because the dialogue will likely be fan translated and so much is carried over between sequels. Is anyone else thinking of doing this? Have you guys found any resources in the past that would make this easier? If there's any interest, I might try to start compiling Japanese translations of things we can count on being in XI.

I played through most of VII 3DS in Japanese, and also played X in Japanese. Didn't get anywhere near completing X, I'd like to play more sometime!

I've also played other games in Japanese besides DQ; although I do know a slight bit of Japanese, it's nowhere near enough to be able to read full sentences and whatnot; I'm still a beginner! So, what I usually do is find a guide (a PS1 version guide worked for VII, and a Google Translated Japanese guide was passable for X), grab my phone, and use the Google Translate app. Google Translate definitely isn't perfect, but it has a picture mode where you can take a picture, and have the text translated. Using this lets you get a basic understanding of what's going on, despite it not being perfect (a baby cat got taken from a girl named Somya in X; this was told to me as "Demon baby stuff of Somya picked up cat") Thankfully, games have visuals to go along with the text, so you can usually figure it out with the visuals and translation together.

So yes! It's definitely possible to play games in Japanese, just be prepared for a bit of a harder time. Like I said, I usually use a guide and the Google Translate app, though a guide probably won't be available for XI right off the bat, so it'll likely be even more difficult.

Edited by gooieooie
  • Upvote 1

Yeah that is how I played thru most of Builders and heroes 2. I hope they get to a point where you can do a real-time image input and it translates so you don't have to continually take shots and upload.

Do you guys see any worth in trying to get some of it translated ahead of release like you know basic stuff commands/spells/enemies/equipment? Right now what I'm thinking is that I should get my kana memorized and beyond that maybe try to buy DQIX in Japanese to get some practice in.

I mean, you can't really translate anything besides what they reveal in trailers, so your scope is extremely limited before release.

What WOULD be a major plus would be to make an English guide once the game releases in Japan, and then you could also translate the character names and etc. in that.

That said, we're all excited for DQXI, so if you wanna translate stuff before release, go right ahead! :)

I'm not being a dick here, just answering questions as I'm actually sure for once this is getting translated.

Do you guys see any worth in trying to get some of it translated ahead of release like you know basic stuff commands/spells/enemies/equipment?

Nope.

Hey I've decided that I can't wait for XI to get localized and was wondering if anyone else felt similarly? 

Not me.

Do you guys see any worth in trying to get some of it translated ahead of release like you know basic stuff commands/spells/enemies/equipment? Right now what I'm thinking is that I should get my kana memorized and beyond that maybe try to buy DQIX in Japanese to get some practice in.

Well that depends. Do you want to play solely for the gameplay? If yes then sure. It shouldn't be too difficult to get through.

If you care about the story then no. You won't be able to know enough in time for the Japanese release. 

Hiragana and Katakana alone won't get you through the game though. Unless you import the 3ds verson which has furigana (with a homebrewed 3ds or hacked one) you'll be seeing a fair bit of Kanji in the PS4 version. That's pretty much why I have to import the 3ds one. I'm awful at Kanji but I can read and understand the rest well enough to get a good gist of the story.

I mean, you can't really translate anything besides what they reveal in trailers, so your scope is extremely limited before release.

What WOULD be a major plus would be to make an English guide once the game releases in Japan, and then you could also translate the character names and etc. in that.

That said, we're all excited for DQXI, so if you wanna translate stuff before release, go right ahead! :)

You know what I think I may do this. It'll be fun project.

No I hear you I'm confident xi is getting localized as well I'm just really impatient. Happy birthday by the way.

> I mean, you can't really translate anything besides what they reveal in trailers, so your scope is extremely limited before release.

I figure that a Japanese fluent streamer or someone will probably be doing a fan translation as they go along which I figure covers dialogue and story. My main concern is knowing what the hell is going on in battle and I figured if I get myself accustomed to the stuff that just about -always- gets carried over between games it would help me play a bit smoother. I dunno though I might be being overly optimistic about this.

>Well that depends. Do you want to play solely for the gameplay? If yes then sure. It shouldn't be too difficult to get through.If you care about the story then no. You won't be able to know enough in time for the Japanese release.

I care about the story but I'm willing to play it solely/primarily for the gameplay if it means I get to play it a year or so early if the NA release date is late 2017 I might wait.

Edited by Don'tSellTheFlameSword

Well that depends. Do you want to play solely for the gameplay? If yes then sure. It shouldn't be too difficult to get through.

If you care about the story then no. You won't be able to know enough in time for the Japanese release. 

Hiragana and Katakana alone won't get you through the game though. Unless you import the 3ds verson which has furigana (with a homebrewed 3ds or hacked one) you'll be seeing a fair bit of Kanji in the PS4 version. That's pretty much why I have to import the 3ds one. I'm awful at Kanji but I can read and understand the rest well enough to get a good gist of the story.

You know what I think I may do this. It'll be fun project.

I've been thinking about it too; I'm planning on importing the 3DS version (or the Switch version if it's region free like the rumors are saying) if the Western release isn't soon after the Japanese release. It does sound like a fun project, I agree! :)

• Upvote 1

> Hiragana and Katakana alone won't get you through the game though. Unless you import the 3ds verson which has furigana (with a homebrewed 3ds or hacked one) you'll be seeing a fair bit of Kanji in the PS4 version. That's pretty much why I have to import the 3ds one. I'm awful at Kanji but I can read and understand the rest well enough to get a good gist of the story.

Honestly I'm less intimidated by the Kanji. Memorize the symbol and I've got it, it's understanding the kana and trying to put them together into romaji or w/e to translate into English that I'm dreading.

> I've been thinking about it too; I'm planning on importing the 3DS version (or the Switch version if it's region free like the rumors are saying) if the Western release isn't soon after the Japanese release.

Cool glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to try and undertake this. We'll see when it's looking like it's gonna come out everywhere and if I think I've got anything useful I'll edit it into that first post.

First experiences are always way to important for me with games I love. And sitting around trying to translate everything is a huge experience breaker for me. And since we can say this dragon quest game is almost guaranteed to come over here for once, That is a big no. It is not for me. But hey, if it doesn't bother you, go for it.

No I hear you I'm confident xi is getting localized as well I'm just really impatient. Happy birthday by the way.

Thanks! Hope this works out for you! I played DQVDS and Joker back in the day in Japanese. I knew the 5 story ok and fought through Joker with notes and some guy on GameFAQs, but those 2 were as much as I could do!

I can't say much about it, as I still have a way to go with my Japanese. However, I can say that with the Japanese I already know and seeing videos of Japanese gameplay, that translation could be pain. Due to the nature of the Japanese language and some ways of expression, some stuff doesn't necessarily translate very well systematically into English.

I haven't seen much dialogue of Dragon Quest, but I would assume that colloquialisms and informal or even grammatically incorrect but still understandable speech may be used in some cases, which could make for some sentences that would turn into absolute confusing or incomprehensible garbage from a translation program.

I wouldn't know though. I've never actually played a game in Japanese myself. Perhaps if you have a good basic grasp of the language expression wise, it might help with translation. However, these particular things I mentioned are something to be aware of.

Just some neat and funny little bonuses to catch my drift even more

Edited by chillv