Sign in to follow this  
Maxrebo

Skill Progression Question

Having finished Dragon Quest VII 3Ds just before Thanksgiving and with this games release inching ever closer.Mostly asking those who have played the ps2 orignal or imported and played the 3DS already. Has there been any translation changes in skill names?

So my main question is what is the recommended skill progression for the different party members including Red and Morrie with new names or translation if any has changed ?

Also I am planning on doing the bonus content so should I keep the base party or switch someone out for one of the two new characters if so who,for whom?

I am mainly asking so I can type and print up my planned skill progression path so I can have it with me,while I play so as to make the most of my level ups and follow the best path for each Character.

You really should just wing it as you play. Makes the experience more fun that way.

You really should just wing it as you play. Makes the experience more fun that way.

I can't stress this enough. Planning is nice on subsequent runs, when you're experienced enough to know what you'll need, but you only get one first run, and keeping it organic and unscripted is a joy.

I say pick a weapon for each character to use, and roll with it.

I say pick a weapon for each character to use, and roll with it.

That's my recommendation as well.

Having played & beat this 3 times, that's what I'll be doing with those 2 characters. Probably their unique weapon (do they have one) just to do something different.

I believe Claws are unique to Morrie, while Red has Fans for a unique weapon.

Yes, those are the exclusives for the two of them.

I'm not sure what I will do. Yangus will probably be axes for sure, but everyone else is up in the air. I'd like to see what Morrie's Hammer skill set is, so maybe that route for him.

I'm thinking swords on Hero, axes on Yangus, bows for Angelo, and claws for Morrie. I'm not entirely sure, but I'll probably default to my usual for Jessica, which is get knives up to 30 to unlock swords, then go staves or sex appeal for the rest. For Red, I have no idea.

Red seems pretty well covered skill wise in all her weapons from what I've seen, though I think Fans are her "strongest" choice, for lack of a better term.

Yes, those are the exclusives for the two of them.

I'm not sure what I will do. Yangus will probably be axes for sure, but everyone else is up in the air. I'd like to see what Morrie's Hammer skill set is, so maybe that route for him.

4bc6291aee94182bac154115f8ccc81e.jpg

That is the best thing you've posted this year Platty. Oddly enough I could see Morrie saying something like this...

Where's MC Hammer when you want him? Lord knows he could use the cash.

When I played this on the PS2, I generally would split my skill points between a weapon of choice per character, and their unique final trait. You don't get to the ultimate stuff as quickly, but the unique traits were a lot of fun to experiment in. I think I'll go...

Hero: Boomerang (I like my multi-hit tools)

Yangus: Not sure yet of the difference between Axes, Clubs and Scythes

Jessica: Whip (more multi-hit)

Angelo: Probably the Bow

Red: Fans

Morrie: Claws

Here is what I am thinking of doing

Hero:Sword or Spears leaning towards Sword and Courage(Since he is the main hero and the hero is always gets the best swords plus Boomerangs start to lose ground not far into the game and fisticuffs seem like a waste,but Courage is a must.

Yangus:Axes and Scythe or Fisticuffs (Axes will be his man weapon, and either Scythe or Fistcuffs for skills learned or just to give him options since club doesn't really appeal and humanity seems kind of like a waste)

Jessica:Whips and Staves up to at least 38 (Whips as her mainstay and Staves for the spells and also Knives,Fisticuffs and Sex Appeal seem like a waste)

Angelo:Bows at least 88 points,Staves for some spells and fistcuffs up to at least 21(Swords  and Charisma seem like a waste)

Red:Fans,and maybe Fisticuffs,and Outlaw(Any other suggestions or does this look good)

Morrie:Claws,Fervor and maybe Boomerang or Fisticuffs

How does this look?

It's what ever you want, baby. Make it your own.

• Upvote 1

You'll probably die over and over and over again. Never even reach Red or Morrie with that setup! Horrible! Horrible! Horrible!

f31d598ba7c0820787f7eccdced82735.jpg

It's what ever you want, baby. Make it your own.

This.

Here is what I am thinking of doing

Hero:Sword or Spears leaning towards Sword and Courage(Since he is the main hero and the hero is always gets the best swords plus Boomerangs start to lose ground not far into the game and fisticuffs seem like a waste,but Courage is a must.

Yangus:Axes and Scythe or Fisticuffs (Axes will be his man weapon, and either Scythe or Fistcuffs for skills learned or just to give him options since club doesn't really appeal and humanity seems kind of like a waste)

Jessica:Whips and Staves up to at least 38 (Whips as her mainstay and Staves for the spells and also Knives,Fisticuffs and Sex Appeal seem like a waste)

Angelo:Bows at least 88 points,Staves for some spells and fistcuffs up to at least 21(Swords  and Charisma seem like a waste)

Red:Fans,and maybe Fisticuffs,and Outlaw(Any other suggestions or does this look good)

Morrie:Claws,Fervor and maybe Boomerang or Fisticuffs

How does this look?

It's your crossword puzzle(for some reason, this Kurt Cobain quote came to mind).

From past experiences, Sex Appeal has actually saved my butt on and off due to the passive bonus that causes enemies to sometimes waste a turn gawking at Jessica. This has even happened in boss fights(including one where it made the fight hilariously easy, due to the RNG apparently having a crush on me and causing the boss to gawk at Jessica for about half of the battle).

As for me:

Hero - I'm going to either do the more standard Swords set or maybe Spears since my last playthrough had me using Boomerangs(due to a vote thread I had on here). Courage is obvious as well(mainly to get Zoom early on, then come back to it later).

Yangus - I'm tempted to do Scythes, but Axes are still possible(axes were my main weapon in my last playthrough, but it can go either way). I always work on Humanity on and off and that ain't gonna stop.

Jessica - Staves and Sex Appeal, haven't done staves in awhile and the latter is obvious(I actually prioritize Sex Appeal to some degree over staves).

Angelo - Swords this time and Charisma as well. I heard they gave Angelo a better skill point growth rate.

Red - Fans! Fans! Fans! Fans! Fans! Fans! Fans are actually my top favorite weapon in the Dragon Quest series. I'll also do her Outlaw set.

Morrie - Weapon wise, I'm kind of stuck. Hammers and Boomerangs are the most tempting though. His special skill tree is likely as well.

I always swing whips with Jessica, but I heard that the skill progression for whips got nerfed in the 3DS version? If that's the case I might go in another direction with her.

I always swing whips with Jessica, but I heard that the skill progression for whips got nerfed in the 3DS version? If that's the case I might go in another direction with her.

It was Twin Dragon Lash that was hit pretty hard. I think it's still good, but nowhere near its power in the PS2 version.

It was Twin Dragon Lash that was hit pretty hard. I think it's still good, but nowhere near its power in the PS2 version.

Ahh that's not too bad then. I'll still use whips with her, but maybe go in a different direction? I want to play this like I haven't played DQ8 before. Go in a different direction for all the heroes.

I forgot to ask does anyone think Humanity or Charisma are any good are they just wasted skills.

Getting really close to release here is my slightly revised plan

Hero:Sword,Spear,Courge

Yangus:Axes,Scythe,Fisticuffs maybe Humanity

Jessica:Whips,Staves,Sex Appeal

Angelo:Bows,Staves,and Fisticuffs(up to 21)

Red:Fan,Roguery,maybe Fisticuffs or Daggers(are they any good)

Morrie:Claws,Passion,Maybe Fisticuffs,Clubs or Boomerangs (are any of these skills worthwhile)

The questions regarding Red and Morrie are geared toward those who import a copy so they will have experience in the matter since the rest us still have to wait till Friday.

I still say go for what you think sounds good, though I will mention that Fisticuffs isn't worth investing in with Angelo.

• Upvote 1

I agree with SoD, fisticuffs is a waste on Angelo. I also would like to throw in my $0.02 and mention that I only put enough points into Charisma to pick up Sarcastic Snigger.