Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest VIII First Impressions Gameplay

So, here's 11 minutes of Dragon Quest VIII footage alongside with some first impressions commentary from a YouTuber named Rurikhan.

(This is technically late since this was uploaded on New Year's Eve (31 December 2016), but it's better than nothing.)

The only thing I disagree with Rurikhan is with the menu UI being outdated. But then again, I personally like how Dragon Quest VIII's menu UI (on the Nintendo 3DS version) is rather simplistic in appearance.

It's going to be hard for me to wait around 16 more days until I get to play Dragon Quest VIII on my Nintendo 3DS.

Edited by Dakhil

Agreed, the classic simplistic black/white UI is the best. I honestly did not care for the US PS2 DQ8 interface.

Agreed, the classic simplistic black/white UI is the best. I honestly did not care for the US PS2 DQ8 interface.

You and Erdrick the Hero have something in common then. I'm pretty sure he hates the menu changes in 8's U.S. release too.

Did anyone else have the trouble he had with one of his characters dying a lot? I feel like it's common knowledge among Dragon Quest fans at least, that if you don't have a heal spell, grind around a little until you get it then move on. Or just stock up on Medicinal herbs.

Did anyone else have the trouble he had with one of his characters dying a lot? I feel like it's common knowledge among Dragon Quest fans at least, that if you don't have a heal spell, grind around a little until you get it then move on. Or just stock up on Medicinal herbs.

I always stock Medicinal herbs. I'll max out the bag as soon as possible just to make sure I always have healing.

I always stock Medicinal herbs. I'll max out the bag as soon as possible just to make sure I always have healing.

Same here. Even when my Hero gets Heal, I carry a supply for out of battle healing while dungeon diving.

No, because like you said, I grind a little until the Hero learns Heal. And after I've healed up by sleeping at the Inn (after learning Heal), I use Heal whenever I need to use it. But of course, I make sure to have Medicinal Herbs in case I either want to save my MP or when my MP becomes completely depleted.

Anyway, I find it interesting that Rurikhan didn't change the battle speed from "Normal" to "Fast" in the footage.

Edited by Dakhil
  • Upvote 1