Dragon Quest XI World Map

NidoTower

Isn't it too mountainous and maze-like? And seems a bit smaller than VIII's? 

tresure_chests.jpg

I can barely see sprawling fields.
The horseback riding gameplay did show fields though but not the as far as the eye can see (the PS4 can render) type though.

I hope there's an "alternate" version of this World Map ala Dark World.

VIII's World Map is also mountainous but there are more wide open spaces compared to XI's.

[EDIT] I tried watching the gameplay video over and over again and I now feel like this will be a bit similar to The Witcher III when you talk about the scaling of towns, villages and dungeons in relation to the world map. 

The fields only look a lot less wide than VIII's -- only on the map. But scale-wise, this game looks definitely massive! Likely more than twice the size of DQ VIII's World Map! 

I do hope it's gonna be like The Witcher III where there are no loading screens between towns/building/dungeons! If it is, then this will be the best DQ World Map everyone will get to explore!  :) 

Edited by Lightpost

Yeah, I was about to say. It is all about the scale. I doubt it is as big as final fantasy 15, but this looks like more than enough for a dragon quest game. This looks great. Also, looks like we have another yggdrasil situation in this game. Man that tree is going to be cool to see in game.

Hmm... Considering this is supposed to go back to the Erdrick saga, I was hoping for Alefgard/Torland/Gaia... Oh well, I'm still excited.

• Upvote 2

Hmm... Considering this is supposed to go back to the Erdrick saga, I was hoping for Alefgard/Torland/Gaia... Oh well, I'm still excited.

You wouldn't happen to know of any articles that confirm that, would you? I remember reading this game had ties to the Erdrick trilogy, but for the life of me I can't remember where and when I read that.

It seems a bit small too to me,but i'm sure its bigger than VIII's

Well, I no longer think it's small. The wide expanses of mountains and the tree near the center probably just gives us that impression. 

Now I'll no longer be surprised if one of those "small" patches of fields I see is actually the same size as the fields in the Farebury continent.

• Upvote 1

I like it, it looks unique and connected. Are we sure it's the whole map though? It kind of looks like a single continent.

Not sure if they commented on this, but looks complete to me.

I like it, it looks unique and connected. Are we sure it's the whole map though? It kind of looks like a single continent.

Time is a major theme in this installment so it's possible we get to see future and past versions of that same map....

Time is a major theme in this installment so it's possible we get to see future and past versions of that same map....

That would be cool,it would be a nice reference to DQVI.

I wonder if there's a unrevelated party member that's from the future/past,as well.

I also forgot about the possible underwater exploration. Hopefully it won't be just a dungeon theme/gimmick. 

If it turns out that the world is only slightly larger than VIII's, then it will be nice if we could get to explore the seabed as well! Though not in its entirety of course.

I also forgot about the possible underwater exploration. Hopefully it won't be just a dungeon theme/gimmick. 

If it turns out that the world is only slightly larger than VIII's, then it will be nice if we could get to explore the seabed as well! Though not in its entirety of course.

For now I am just going to assume this world map is everything in the game. I am perfectly oke with a world that is only slightly bigger than DQ8. I know it might be small compared to a lot of modern games out there, but if they can fill it with stuff to do and places worth revisiting, I am perfectely oke with it.

But if they were to announce a future, a past, an underwater or some kind of alternate world, I would not complain ofcourse.

Let's look at the map itself for clues on how many total areas there potentially are, based on traditional DQ rules (most roads that stop somewhere, actually lead to something, even if nothing seems to be there):

1) NW ice area -> Castle

2) NW/N ice area -> road heading into forest at base of mountains (potential forest level/faeries?)

3) Giant icy mountain leading from the world tree to the ice fields.

4) Giant world tree.

5) Smaller giant tree directly South of the big one, all the way at the bottom of the map.

6) Temple/palace in the NE, tucked into the mountains

7) Road leading to a beach area tucked behind mountains S/SE of the NE temple/palace structure

8) Strange white bar on the NE-most island

9) Road and bridge leading to a small inlet island with trees just E of the giant world tree

10) Massive mountain top peak just SW of the giant world tree.

11) Waterfall with road in the center of the forest just South of that mountain top peak that's SW of the giant world tree.

12) Clearly the castle town we see in most of the videos, based on geography of the pictures we've seen so far is just South of the giant world tree, and East of the waterfall.  I should also note that if we mapped this area to DQ2, that castle is pretty close to Lorasia's position relative to the rest of the world, assuming that river just south was formerly the ocean on its SE border.

13) Road stops at a river, no bridge, just South of that central palace, and the road continues in a strange position on the other side, a bit too East, and leads into mountains to the south, so this is potentially two areas?

14) Pinnacle/peak directly South of that central castle, just at the edge of the Southern ocean.

15) What looks like either a giant man-made cavern or maybe a tomb slightly to the SE of the central castle, also overlooking the Southern ocean.

16) A bridge town just SW of the central castle.

17) A road from the bridge town that leads to...hills and a forest?

18) Castletown or maybe a cathedral town NW of the bridge town.

19) The lake just W of the bridge town, SW of the potential cathedral town seems like it might be a place of interest.

20) The road from the "cathedral" town leads to 3 other spots in the South.  A small Island, ...

21) a forest inlet nestled into hills, ...

22) and a cliff overlooking the Southern ocean.

23) SW most island covered in only mountains, with no visible shoreline?  I wonder what's there, only found at the end of the game, likely after finding your flying vehicle/mount.

24) A kraken in the water?  I wonder if that signifies an underwater area, ala DQ7's Gracos lair, only has a Kraken guardian?  Might be nothing, but I get the feeling it's there for a very specific reason.

25) Small island of forest in the NW corner of the South central-most island.

26) Lighthouse just North of the large tree at the bottom of the map.

27) A strange marsh area unlike any other section of land in the NE corner of the South central-most island.

28) Eastern inlet sea, the small archipelago, which fits PERFECTLY with Rubiss' island from DQ2, that underwater place where you fight the two really hard mages at the bottom.

29) Temple palace on the SE desert continent, in the SE corner of it.

30) Desert area just East of that temple palace, and the...

31) small island to the East of that desert patch after the long and thin land-bridge.

32) Small Japanese shrine area just under the volcano in the SE island.

33) The volcano in the SE island.

34) ...this is another maybe, but the small island in the small inner-sea in the NE, with two tiny islands bordering the East and West ends might have some significance.

I don't know, seems like the map has ample things to see and do for a full game as is.  Plus with a little tweaking, we can see some similarities with DQ2's map, minus Alefgard.  That's the only thing that wouldn't fit, because nothing corresponds with Alefgard.

One interesting thing I've noticed about the logo is that the Dragon is ethereal, and seems to match more closely with the Queen Dragon in DQ3 who died and gave us the orb...and strangely the shape of the claw is the only purely physical element (not ethereal design), that's grasping an orb that looks pretty similar to the Sphere of Light given to the Hero in 3.

• Upvote 2

Just found out that Siliconera has translated the page: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/26/dragon-quest-xi-shares-screenshots-details-ps4-3ds-versions-world/

32) Small Japanese shrine area just under the volcano in the SE island.
I think that isn't just a shrine. It could be the town we see in the intro trailer where the merchant and the martial artist appears. 

Also, the Kraken in the water to the east of those mountainous SW-most island could be the same island where the heroes are fighting the Kraken on in the trailer. 

I had other observations I could try to connect to the trailer and the world map but I'm starting to feel like my adventure is gonna be spoiled if I do so even though I'm sure there'll be lots of interesting hidden things to find in this game. 

The PS4 version is definitely the best way for me to explore this world first. The 3DS is mainly for nostalgic gaming and is a good way to replay the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope Ignasia is right in one of his reasons that this is just a blown up island and the world is about 10 times bigger... and hopefully there are plenty of other temporary recruitable characters like Emma at the beginning of the game.

• Upvote 1

I hope Ignasia is right in one of his reasons that this is just a blown up island and the world is about 10 times bigger... and hopefully there are plenty of other temporary recruitable characters like Emma at the beginning of the game.

I think that's the entire world map, but however i do think there's going to be another world similar to DQVI, maybe we're able to travel back in time (or futher)

That would be nice if that's the case. The worlds in DQ always seem small to me.

DQVIII is not feeling small.

Neither does VII. Or VI for that matter, what with dual worlds and underwater exploration.

That would be nice if that's the case. The worlds in DQ always seem small to me.

DQVIII is not feeling small.
Neither does VII. Or VI for that matter, what with dual worlds and underwater exploration.
VI felt like ice picks being pressed into my brain through my nasal canal. It was most definitely not small. Hmmm... 7 was so-so. There never really was much chance to explore a very large area. That said, I can't think it was smaller than VI.