Just logged in for the first time in over a month and found a news post from Nov. 24th saying the SEA VERSION of the game is closing down on Dec. 26th. Merry Christmas, eh? :P I think we all knew it was coming soon, but it'll still be a sad day.

In the meantime, they're giving us some freebies:

- All quests cost 0 Stamina, even Ovalutionary Road.

- Many monster hunting quests are open, such as Besting Balzack, Leon Down the Law, etc.

- Pal Point gacha includes some S and A rank monsters.

- Regular gacha has 3 free plays a day and has an extra 10% chance to get S ranks.

I'm not sure why they didn't just give us unlimited gacha plays. You can't even buy gems anymore, so why not? And it's pretty sad that the last area of the storyline never reopened. Still, they gave us some decent stuff. I know I'll be going through Ovalutionary Road a few times just for the challenge, along with hitting up the Arena one last time.

Rest in peace, DQMSL. How will you spend your last days?

Edited by RitzierHades63

Just logged in for the first time in over a month and found a news post from Nov. 24th saying the game is closing down on Dec. 26th.  Merry Christmas, eh?    :P   I think we all knew it was coming soon, but it'll still be a sad day.

In the meantime, they're giving us some freebies:

- All quests cost 0 Stamina, even Ovalutionary Road.

- Many monster hunting quests are open, such as Besting Balzack, Leon Down the Law, etc.

- Pal Point gacha includes some S and A rank monsters.

- Regular gacha has 3 free plays a day and has an extra 10% chance to get S ranks.

I'm not sure why they didn't just give us unlimited gacha plays.  You can't even buy gems anymore, so why not?  And it's pretty sad that the last area of the storyline never reopened.  Still, they gave us some decent stuff.  I know I'll be going through Ovalutionary Road a few times just for the challenge, along with hitting up the Arena one last time.

Rest in peace, DQMSL.  How will you spend your last days?

Remembering the DQ 7 monsters that got modern English names before the modern version of the game itself was released, the DQ 6 Battering Ram getting changed to Damned Ram, DQ4 Green Dragon getting changed to Jade Dragon, and 4 DQ10 monsters getting official English names, one of which was an original monster made for the game. Also, some Monsters series original monsters getting modern/official English names like Beanie Meanie and Tariux, though u guys never added the latter in Monster Wiki or any Dragon Quest Wikis.

I knew it.  Release in the US and Europe would allow SEA region access, while assuring a more consistent and wealthier base.  It would not only remain up, but probably thriving right now, with commercials, etc.

It's profoundly stupid of SE to not see this coming.  It's THE defacto guarantee of almost 99% of all companies that attempt to enter that region for success.  Only a bare handful survive past the first year, if not two, and many of those are dead or dying now due to piss poor government policies that never allow real growth/poverty stricken areas to actually develop on their own.  It's like trying to break through in China.  Like every other company that has made the attempt, DQX China will fail, probably 4~5x, and restart over and over again with a new company, or under the same umbrella company, overall raking in a very small profit due to the bell curve of expenditure and continued interest.

It profoundly naive, and I find insulting beyond measure.

They would be raking in free support all over the US and EU for DQ.  Free advertising and marketing for DQM and DQ mainline.

I'm sorry to those who spent time, energy, and especially money.  It's just a losing game.  Note that this is almost a certainty for China DQX.  I hate to say it, I've spent too much time playing versions of non-Chinese based MMO's that enter there, and dies and all my spent money was gone, wasted, completely wasted.  1 year, 2 years, maybe 3 years if you're lucky before the first pull and reset, with a gift for returning players, but you start from scratch, again.  Then the next one will last half that time, or less.  Then it cycles back again and again and again.

So buyer/player beware.  Hope you had fun while it lasted, but this isn't something to lament, it's something to legitimately get pissed off about, as this should never have happened.

• Like 1

You'd be surprised how important whales are to a free-to-play game's economy. There was likely not enough whales willing to support it. I've played quite a few Japanese FTP games and I can tell you this: there was nothing that differentiated this game from any other FTP game coming out of Japan aside from the DQ coat of paint. You can get out of this what you could get it of those Bleach or One Piece games. Evidently there aren't enough whales that cared about Dragon Quest.

The whales blubbed it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did it! I finally beat Ovalutionary Road without gems!

Team was Alphynn, Trauminator, Orobas, Ultrus and Small Fry, with a King Hydra companion that had Paralyzing Touch. Thanks Alphonse!

I got really lucky, though, because the fourth fight just had one Trauminator instead of the three it had every other time I got to it. Of course, you have to get lucky to beat the Road without gems, but I still feel like I cheated. Or maybe got cheated. :P So I'll keep trying till shutdown to beat that fight. If I can't, at least I managed my original goal!

[Edit: Got it! Now I have no regrets.]

Farewell DQMSL!

Edited by RitzierHades63
  • 3 weeks later...

The hilarity of it all regarding F2P mobile games is, some of em will make way more money, than AAA single player games that cost up to 10x more time and money to create.

Mobius Final Fantasy for example, they been releasing these classes that you cannot have unless you spend 75 dollars in magicite to get each individual class, and you have a time limit to do it. So spend 225 dollars to get all 3 of the "Mythic" classes, and you get a Mythic echo pet.  They back up these purchases with the Card summon gachas as well. 

Well, people wanted Mobile games, and would go far to justify why Mobile is the future, im sure some of them regret that way of thinking now. 

• Upvote 1