Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

"Restoration" Project (Controversial)

I mentioned it half-jokingly earlier but it's worth noting that the only thing they seem has value in "fixing" is the clothes. None of the other changes they made. It affects the story a bit too. David doesn't eat that dog food for instance.

I forgot about the change they did with David. I do wonder why they decided on removing that part.

Closest thing I've got is potentially could be seen as an overly dominating of a Master-Servant interaction. I mean, it went a long way to show how much of a jerk whats-his-face (forget the name of the magician in Arcadia) was, at least.

Does David do something else in its place? In the original, he was proving the dog food was not poisoned. Or did the whole poison thing get cut in full?

I mentioned it half-jokingly earlier but it's worth noting that the only thing they seem has value in "fixing" is the clothes. None of the other changes they made. It affects the story a bit too. David doesn't eat that dog food for instance.

I forgot about the change they did with David. I do wonder why they decided on removing that part.

Closest thing I've got is potentially could be seen as an overly dominating of a Master-Servant interaction. I mean, it went a long way to show how much of a jerk whats-his-face (forget the name of the magician in Arcadia) was, at least.

Does David do something else in its place? In the original, he was proving the dog food was not poisoned. Or did the whole poison thing get cut in full?

Based on the footage of the Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII (on the Nintendo 3DS) that I've seen on YouTube, the scene where David eats the dog food to make sure it's not poisoned is completely cut out.

Edited by Dakhil

Based on the footage of the Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII (on the Nintendo 3DS) that I've seen on YouTube, the scene where David eats the dog food to make sure it's not poisoned is completely cut out.

What I saw was him bending down to eat it, only for Sir Leopold to knock him away and eat it himself.

Here's the David cutscene differences:

For good measure, here's the difference in the Marcello scene:

Dominico is his name. I guess I could see that as a reason for cutting it.

Edit: (Looks at the Marcello scene)

It was tough to tell(my desktop doesn't do videos all that well), but did he cast an attack spell(Or something to that degree) on his arm?

Edited by Stepchan

It was tough to tell(my desktop doesn't do videos all that well), but did he cast an attack spell(Or something to that degree) on his arm?

Yeah, I think Marcello cast Frizz when Rhapthorne's trying to control Marcello's body in the Nintendo 3DS version.

• Upvote 1

Don't really see the point of the Marcello thing, both scenes could have potentially resulted in serious injury to his arm (stab wounds and heavy burns, respectively). The first scene was also entirely bloodless, at least in terms of animation. And since it was a discretion shot, we don't actually see it from the front, even if stabbing his arm is heavily implied. I guess the reason is kids might try to imitate it for whatever reason, since knives are significantly more accessible than fire magic. If they were imitating Marcello's actions in that scene... I would be significantly questioning of their parents' methods of teaching kids about the dangers of sharp objects.

Granted, the lack of Marcello bleeding isn't particularly realistic, but this is Dragon Quest and realism isn't really something the series is known for.

Also going to take a moment to note how ridiculous the animation for Leopold pushing David away looks. He just kinda goes to the bowl, randomly rears a bit, and David falls backward without actually being touched by the dog. The whole thing just looked absurd.

Don't really see the point of the Marcello thing, both scenes could have potentially resulted in serious injury to his arm (stab wounds and heavy burns, respectively). The first scene was also entirely bloodless, at least in terms of animation. And since it was a discretion shot, we don't actually see it from the front, even if stabbing his arm is heavily implied. I guess the reason is kids might try to imitate it for whatever reason, since knives are significantly more accessible than fire magic. If they were imitating Marcello's actions in that scene... I would be significantly questioning of their parents' methods of teaching kids about the dangers of sharp objects.

Granted, the lack of Marcello bleeding isn't particularly realistic, but this is Dragon Quest and realism isn't really something the series is known for.

Also going to take a moment to note how ridiculous the animation for Leopold pushing David away looks. He just kinda goes to the bowl, randomly rears a bit, and David falls backward without actually being touched by the dog. The whole thing just looked absurd.

I have to wonder this myself.  Japan's Cero rating system is becoming ever more conservative, and controlling as to what classifies as acceptable to children if DQ titles are allowed to keep the "everyone" rating.

Probably is to avoid children using a literal knife to remove something from their arms and accidentally cutting themselves?

The ratings, to my understanding are increased on violence as well as sexual in nature.

Huh was not expecting them to bother "restoring" it. Considering the changes also applied in Japan.

I've seen some claim that Horii is self censoring himself. 

So the creator can't change his mind on design choice now.

It's not like there's a choice.  He has to sign off on the decision, yes, but the reality is DQ's have always been given the "everyone" rating in Japan.  The restrictions on what determines "everyone" is becoming ever more conservative, so to sell to all audiences they require these changes, or to upgrade the system.  I don't think this was so much by choice as a business decision.

It reminds me of a scene in the manga Bakuman, a series about manga authors working for Shonen Jump. One of the editors for an artist tells him that their series can't have humans killing each other. There needs to be a distinction of some sort. I imagine it was sort of the same situation in this case. Marcello can't hurt himself with a knife, it's gotta be done with magic. The implication is that Magic burned it off I guess.

I have to wonder this myself.  Japan's Cero rating system is becoming ever more conservative, and controlling as to what classifies as acceptable to children if DQ titles are allowed to keep the "everyone" rating.

Probably is to avoid children using a literal knife to remove something from their arms and accidentally cutting themselves?

The ratings, to my understanding are increased on violence as well as sexual in nature.

Huh was not expecting them to bother "restoring" it. Considering the changes also applied in Japan.

I've seen some claim that Horii is self censoring himself. 

So the creator can't change his mind on design choice now.

It's not like there's a choice.  He has to sign off on the decision, yes, but the reality is DQ's have always been given the "everyone" rating in Japan.  The restrictions on what determines "everyone" is becoming ever more conservative, so to sell to all audiences they require these changes, or to upgrade the system.  I don't think this was so much by choice as a business decision.

I believe there is a small interview out there where he is asked about the change of the costumes in DQ8 3DS and he said something along the lines of "Over time I didn't end up liking the choice I went with on some of the outfits (Red Especially)" so he made the changes here because he could. If that's him just covering the business side of it, who is to say?

The weird thing is Marcello still uses the knife to cut off a thorn or two, he just drops it and starts using magic in place of stabbing his arm with it.

The knife actually stays loaded into the scene too, sitting on the floor, directly below where his hand was when he was preparing to stab himself. He doesn't throw it, it just drops awkwardly.

Yeah, I think Marcello cast Frizz when Rhapthorne's trying to control Marcello's body in the Nintendo 3DS version.

Man. Rhapthrone's was probably like... No not Frizz! Spells that do from 10 to over 20 damage are my weakness!

Did they take out quests or remove entire parts of dialogue? 

I don't get it. Who cares about costumes and pantyshots?

The real question is: "Who DOESN'T care about pantyshots?"

I believe there is a small interview out there where he is asked about the change of the costumes in DQ8 3DS and he said something along the lines of "Over time I didn't end up liking the choice I went with on some of the outfits (Red Especially)" so he made the changes here because he could. If that's him just covering the business side of it, who is to say?

That's hard to say.  Horii isn't known to parlay with words.  He's pretty direct.  It might even be the changes to Cero's regulations triggered a need to relook over things, and he made his decisions from there, and liked the changes?  Or maybe he really is covering the business end because of the reaction to DQ9 as an ARPG, and the lack of information from SE after that explosive backlash (at least until the game was changed to the version we know today), as a way to quell fans who may not like the changes, and would feel a little more comfortable if he claims it was his decision?

The weird thing is Marcello still uses the knife to cut off a thorn or two, he just drops it and starts using magic in place of stabbing his arm with it.

The knife actually stays loaded into the scene too, sitting on the floor, directly below where his hand was when he was preparing to stab himself. He doesn't throw it, it just drops awkwardly.

I noticed that as well...I don't know, it's really odd how the scene plays out.  Maybe because in those moments he used it only to stab it, while the final stab from the original was him literally stabbing himself, and the recent Japanese government obsession with "influential" concepts from art and media on the minds of children?  They may see it as more positive because he throws away the knife, and opts for magic, something spiritual versus something spiritual?  So less likely to trigger a reaction of kids using knives to remove things from their bodies?  I don't know.  The knife on the ground being just for realism, since that's where he left it?

I mean there is a tendency towards removing/making any and all "weapons" out to be evil.  Maybe that's the direction they're taking there, since guns aren't really a thing there?  While we're going for guns?  So...you leave the knife behind, because it's "too dangerous" and it's not necessary to get the job done?  Maybe they want that sort of thought process?

Who cares about costumes and pantyshots?

1476139675749.gif

I could see David Bowie caring about panty shots.

David Bowie can't care about anything anymore.

something spiritual versus something spiritual?

Funny enough I was going to add "Except now he's dead," or something along those lines, but thought it too dark to include since he only died this year.

Funny enough I was going to add "Except now he's dead," or something along those lines, but thought it too dark to include since he only died this year.

Too soon? Uh oh. I know what to do in this situation.

I was not disappointed by opening that spoiler. God I needed something to laugh at, and that did the trick.

It's so bad.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

The story behind that video is that Gilbert Gottfried had told a 9/11 joke not long after the terrorist attack. He was booed and almost lost the crowd, so he performed a traditional joke to win back the audience called "The Aristocrats," where the comedian challenges themselves to think up the most vile, disgusting things they can imagine.

something spiritual versus something spiritual?

Well, magic is a spiritual force.  Those vines are magic as well, so spirit versus spirit,  No physical harm done to his arm, so...yeah.

The real question is: "Who DOESN'T care about pantyshots?"
I guess the question is "who cares enough about panty shots in a world where porn is a click away?"