Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

"Restoration" Project (Controversial)

Warning: As the title says, this forum posts talks about a topic that is potentially controversial. So if the content here offends you, please feel free to ignore this forum post. You have been warned!

(I apologise awkward wording here and there. I'm trying to talk about it without invoking too much unneeded controversy.)

As some of you may know, many people are upset over some costumes changes from some characters in the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII. So, there's a group of people in GBAtemp who are trying to do a "restoration" of some of the character's costumes that underwent costume change, so that the costumes in the Nintendo 3DS version will resemble the original costumes in the PlayStation 2 version. 

It's still a work in progress, and it's not successful yet. You can take a look at some progress here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-dragon-quest-viii-8-restoration-project.451932/

And of course, Censored Gaming have to make a video about it today.

Watch as the next incarnation of Mortafuruna comes back to talk about this topic.

Didn't hear about that "busty May" thing. That's...really weird. She's supposed to be like 10 or 11.

I wonder if they're working as hard to fix the part where Marcello stabs himself and the scene where David eats dog food, which were also altered for the 3DS version.

Interesting how these were present in the original Japanese version. Begs the question: is this really censorship if the original work was made to be like this?

After playing Pokemon Moon, I'm more confused about censorship than before. How many trainers in bikinis did I battle? How many others were scantily dressed in that tropical game?

• Upvote 1

The changes were in the Japanese version to keep the game at an A rating via Cero. Yuji and company made the changes so the game could keep an A rating instead of it getting a B rating or higher.

Personally I don't see it as censorship if they made these changes for the 3DS Japanese release as well.

After playing Pokemon Moon, I'm more confused about censorship than before. How many trainers in bikinis did I battle? How many others were scantily dressed in that tropical game?

It's all confusing really. Sometimes the choices made by developers confuse me when the bring games to the west, but most of the ones I know about don't bother me (like how the Hawkeye class has different costumes in the Japanese version of Bravely Second versus what we got in the U.S. release).

I'm still wondering why Treehouse made dialogue changes for Fire Emblem Fates, but it's nothing I'd lose sleep over.

The worst thing about the dialogue changes in Fates is that I largely prefer the changes to the original. If I absolutely must know what they said in that C-rank support, I can just google it.

Only one that I could say I absolutely don't like is the one between the two assassins were the C rank became nothing but "........"

I don't know, I like the idea of the original were they both started to acknowledge the other's reputation and looked forward to working with each other. Seemed interesting to me to see assassins talking to each other like that.

But again, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Cero is really picky about pantyshots and stuff, apparently. This is why Palutena's model was changed in JP Smash 4, and only JP.

Tbh I don't blame them for toning things down, since that helps get a wider potential audience.

That said, I don't really care if the costumes changed, I honestly thought people made a big deal over nothing when skinship was removed from FE14, and I think the same here. Meh. It's still the same game with extra content.

• Upvote 3

How about you spend less time trying to change what you don't like about a game and more time enjoying it for what it is?

• Upvote 1

That said, I don't really care if the costumes changed, I honestly thought people made a big deal over nothing when skinship was removed from FE14, and I think the same here. Meh. It's still the same game with extra content.

It's a shame you weren't there for that conversation.

How about you spend less time trying to change what you don't like about a game and more time enjoying it for what it is?

BUT THATS NOT WUT TEH INTERNETZ EZ 4!?!?!?!!111!1!1!!

TEH FANZ NED 2 COMMPLAN!

I apologize for posting that, but I couldn't resist.

It's a shame I was there for that conversation. I evoked the wrath of Varuna in that thread.

TEH FANZ NED 2 COMMPLAN!

It's sadder that it's more true than false in that.

Edited by Bururian
  • Upvote 1

"The Wrath of Varuna" most be like Chris-chan's Kamehameha attack he does sometimes.

It's a shame I was there for that conversation. I evoked the wrath of Varuna in that thread.

TEH FANZ NED 2 COMMPLAN!

It's sadder that it's more true than false in that.

This is what needs to be posted when people start complaining. Tell 'em, Filthy Frank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ

You know what? As long as people are still supporting the franchise, I don't even care anymore.

• Upvote 2

I did see the sh*tstorm on SF as it happened (which since it's a Fire Emblem site, was worse), at least.

I did go back to look at this forum's storm about it, while the posts were removed, I saw portions of it in quotes.

It got so bad that there was a "what are things in FE that make you cringe" and "the fandom's response to Skinship being cut" was a common answer.

...Most of the answers were Fates-related, actually.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Well, it also depends on those who make, remake, localize, etc.

TPCi is the one who handles the localization of Pokemon games as far as I can tell. Who was it that did the more recent FE games? I've seen someone list Treehouse on /vp/ before(I've got something to touch on here pretty quick), but I'm not sure if it's them(I've never played any Fire Emblem games).

The female swimmer classes look like young adults along with the others, so that would be my guess as to why they got a pass.

And speaking of /vp/, there have been anons that have on and off trolled/****posted trying to stir a "the sky is falling" level of fear about Pokemon Sun and Moon being censored.

Those threads have used examples such as:

1. The female swimmer class, which is silly. They look like young adults as I previously mentioned(Their Japanese trainer class is called Bikini Lady after all).

2. Wicke was brought up at one point. Yes, Wicke, who is fully clothed. The argument was her curvy body, but the argument was moot considering the fact that all sites have the same artwork for her.

3. Olivia, I wasn't surprised would be use as an example. We can all guess why.

At the end of it, all that was just trolls being trolls. :P:tounge2:

I mostly laughed and smirked at the absurdity of those threads.

Edited by Stepchan

If it means these folk will still buy a copy more power to them...

Anime tiddies is serious business though falamalam

Huh was not expecting them to bother "restoring" it. Considering the changes also applied in Japan.

I've seen some claim that Horii is self censoring himself. 

So the creator can't change his mind on design choice now.

Well of course, I mean, why should someone be allowed to have control over their fictional universe that they created.

I mentioned it half-jokingly earlier but it's worth noting that the only thing they seem has value in "fixing" is the clothes. None of the other changes they made. It affects the story a bit too. David doesn't eat that dog food for instance.

While I don't care enough about the outfit changes to try to mod them myself, it is pretty disappointing when people bend over and take it up the *** from the ratings companies. If this mod is successfully completed, I'll probably install it, considering I'll already be doing a restoration patch of my own (for the music).

I haven't actually reached any of the censored story content in the other versions yet (I just don't have time for lengthy console RPGs anymore unfortunately, and I got sick of grinding around Savella Abbey in the iOS version), but I'm hoping this restoration patch fixes that too.

Looking forward to the 3DS version of the game with or without this patch, specifically for the battle speed-up. Grinding is such a pain in the earlier versions.

• Upvote 1

I mentioned it half-jokingly earlier but it's worth noting that the only thing they seem has value in "fixing" is the clothes. None of the other changes they made. It affects the story a bit too. David doesn't eat that dog food for instance.

I forgot about the change they did with David. I do wonder why they decided on removing that part.