Sign in to follow this  
cobolisdead

New Nintendo Introduction Character videos

I knew these two would get their own videos sometime soon. After they weren't in the last character video it seemed like they would get the special treatment.

Their attack animations are a lot more extravagant than the other characters.

Thanks for sharing these, cobol.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I'm curious to see if they'll have any story dialogue or if they're just going to be grafted onto the plot, maybe just standing in the background. It would help make their additions feel more organic if they had some non-party chat repartee during important moments.

The name of Morrie's Swing Both Ways attack makes me like him just a bit more.

• Upvote 1

'Ello, wot's all this, then?

Haha, the "Swing Both Ways" move cracked me up. You cheeky writers!

So is Morrie the only one of the six that uses Claws, and Red the only one that uses Fans? Those might be my go-to weapons for them in that case.

Cool thanks for posting that. I have them added to the Movies page for Dragon Quest VIII 3DS

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq83ds/movies.php

These are pretty cool, I'm definitely more interested in Red, though.

Though, can't help but notice, this leaves Jessica as the only character without a broad weapon type only she has access to.

Hero is the only character with Spear access

Yangus is the only one with Axes and Scythes

Angelo has Bows

Red has Fans

Morrie has Claws

While Jessica's broad weapon types are shared by Red for Daggers and Whips and Angelo for Staves.

...Poor Jessica.

She's actually pretty much been replaced by Red, if anything.

• Upvote 1

Her Whip ability Twin Dragon Lash has also been heavily nerfed, matching DQ9's damage output.  So she's severely capped at the knees in usefulness end-game.

I have to admit though, I do like Red.  Those dagger abilities...looks like fun!

Edited by ignasia7

Twin Dragon Lash was one of the main things she was best utilized for as well. One less reason to need her. It's almost as if they want you to use Red.

• Upvote 1

Well by the end of the game you usually have one character that just stands around banging on a timbrel most of the time anyway and Jessica is just about a good a candidate for that as Angelo is.

Well by the end of the game you usually have one character that just stands around banging on a timbrel most of the time anyway and Jessica is just about a good a candidate for that as Angelo is.

Pretty much. Jessica is my go to for the Trimbel, as is Yangus for the second Trimbel you can get.

Didn't really need a Timbrel of Tension.

Didn't really need a Timbrel of Tension.

I'm surprised you didn't use one (or the second one you can get) since you like an all offensive strategy. Or is that only for Fire Emblem when you go for full offense?

I didn't use it when I first played the PS2 version since I was unaware it even existed, but it's so broken that I just go after it the moment I get that Soulstone in later runs.

I originally intended to get it before the final battle, but then orb hunting ended up being easier than I expected so I had a go at him to gauge my strategy for the next morning (it was like midnight at the time). I was getting my ass handed to me trying to destroy the barrier, but once it came down, it was an endless barrage of twice-hitting attacks followed by Omniheal when necessary. I'm sure I used some buffs or tried psyching up naturally.

I generally do just double down on offensive strategies. None of my party Pokémon ever have non-offensive attacks, I always put skill points towards higher HP or attack and occasionally defense.

'Ello, wot's all this, then?

Haha, the "Swing Both Ways" move cracked me up. You cheeky writers!

So is Morrie the only one of the six that uses Claws, and Red the only one that uses Fans? Those might be my go-to weapons for them in that case.

Fans are my top favorite weapon, so I'll definitely be having her use them.

Edited by Stepchan

I think I've decided my party setup for the 3DS version: Hero, Jessica, Red, and Morrie. While Yangus's personality will be sorely missed, I gotta have those whips and boomerangs. Multi-target weapons are my favorite.

• Upvote 1

I think I've decided my party setup for the 3DS version: Hero, Jessica, Red, and Morrie. While Yangus's personality will be sorely missed, I gotta have those whips and boomerangs. Multi-target weapons are my favorite.

Never would have figured you for a whips guy. But I guess everyone's gotta have their kink. Never heard of a boomerang fetish though. Is it a regional thing or something? Are you Australian?