Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Your Favorite Video Game Soundtracks

Hello all, ol' Yangus here with a music related topic. I've wanted to do this for awhile, but I'll keep this short: what are your favorite video game soundtracks?

If you want to list your top 5/10/20, divide them up by genre, pick out specific tracks you love from them, do whatever you'd like for your responses. Let's share our favorites.

Oh, and I'll go ahead and answer for my twinsie: "Video games have music?"

I'm probably expected to say Persona 4, but with Dancing All Night, that would be pointless. While the story mode and menu BGM isn't anything special, the remixes are almost universally stronger than the original, or at the very least, place it into a new genre of music. That and the fact that a large chunk of the music is in English makes it easy to appreciate it for all of its qualities instead of just sounding nice. I can pretty much put Dancing All Night music on pretty much any kind of playlist I try to make.

I might be in the minority but I like Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire's OST more than any other Pokémon game. I played trumpet in middle school band, so I appreciate the emphasis on the brass section compared to what had come before and what came after for Pokémon music.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch deserves a mention too. How could anything by Joe Hisaishi be bad?

I'd like to give a special shout-out to the Professor Layton games for always sounding so perfect for the setting. Almost no songs stand out in any way other than the theme and the puzzle music, but it all works in service of giving the games an authentic London backdrop.

I'm sure I could think of more if I tried. I wouldn't call this a "Top Anything" list. Just soundtracks I'd like to mention.

The first five Crash Bandicoot games (1, 2, Warped, CTR, and Bash) have amazing soundtracks. Josh Mancell is a master of his craft. I know he didn't do Crash Bash, but most of the music in that game is remixed from his work on earlier titles. Crash Twinsanity had an amazing soundtrack too. The wacky a capella stylings of Spiralmouth were surely missed by myself in later games. (They worked with Marc Baril on Crash Tag Team Racing, but that soundtrack was pretty forgettable. So were the soundtracks for the next two games, which were created by Marc Baril alone.)

The first three Spyro games were pretty great too. These were composed by Stewart Copeland, who happened to have been the drummer for The Police. The fourth Spyro game, Enter the Dragonfly, was also composed by Copeland, and while the music was good, it didn't stand up to the first three games. At least the music fared better than the game itself, though.

David Bergeaud's work on Ratchet and Clank (the original, not the remake) and Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando (Ratchet and Clank 2: Locked and Loaded outside of America) was pretty amazing. I haven't yet finished the third game, but what I've heard so far in that is pretty good too. While it's not as fun or funky as Bergeaud's work on the original, Michael Bross wrote some pretty awesome music for the 2016 re-imagining of Ratchet and Clank.

Nobuo Uematsu's work on the Final Fantasy series is pretty good. I'm not a big FF fan, but I like a lot of the music from the series. Especially from VII. Final Fantasy VII is a highly overrated game, but I play it for the music mostly.

The first Sims game, and it's expansions, have some pretty good music. I'm not sure who wrote it, but it's fun to listen to. (Except the Vacation/On Holiday music... It's good environmental music for the game, but not something I enjoy listening to.) My favorites here are the Rap and Rave stations, along with the neighborhood themes.

And of course, what kind of list would this be without mentioning Dragon Quest? Koichi Sugiyama. That's all I have to say.

In no particular order

Shatter

Chrono Cross

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Rogue Galaxy

@ eal - Yeah I figured you'd have said P4, but then I remembered you were really into P4DAN so I figured that would be a top choice for you. Also I thought you might've said one of those Hatsune Miku games. Oh, and I'm with you on Ruby and Sapphire's soundtrack. Route 104 is my favorite track from that game, and I love listening to the original GBA soundtrack every now and then.

Anyway, here are some of mine. I might add a few more later.

Let's get the elephant in the room addressed first: the Etrian Odyssey soundtracks. All of them. Whether it's the original FM synth soundtracks/renditions or the arranged soundtracks of the 3DS games, the Etrian soundtracks have become my most listened to video game soundtracks. Yuzo Koshiro is my favorite video game music composer, and these games helped seal that position. He always does a good job setting up the atmosphere of each stratum and battle with his compositions, and I like how each of the FM soundtracks has a slightly different sound to them. EO2 stands out for using an acoustic guitar type of sound in certain tracks, while EO3 has a strong drum/percussion section in each song compared to the percussion of the first two games.

This choice probably screams "Oh man Yangus only chose them because he's a big EO fan." That does play a part, that I won't deny, but by themselves the soundtracks are all very nice. I mean, I've listened to Etrian Odyssey 5's soundtrack (both versions) without any context where the music plays in the game, and it's been great just to listen to. Same thing happened with EO2's soundtrack; listened to it before playing the game itself, and I still really enjoyed it. Playing the game made me appreciate a little more, but by themselves they still work well.

Couldn't say if I prefer the FM or arranged renditions more. I will say I'm not a fan of the Super Arrange albums, with the exception of EO3's. All the songs used in the Super Arrange album sound very nice.

Bottom line, the music of EO is great, and without it the games would be a completely different experience. You get some rock, you get some classical, it's a good mix of genre ideas. We all have that one soundtrack or band we always like to listen to, and this series is my version of that.

Chrono Cross is another easy choice. This game has my favorite PS1 game soundtrack, and is my favorite Mitsuda soundtrack. Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is nice, but for me Cross's soundtrack knocks Trigger's soundtrack out cold (except Magus's theme). I'm a fan of the extra effort to create two versions of the same songs depending on the world you're in, with two stand outs being On the Beach of Another World and Another Arni (the first one's translation into English seems to change depending where you look).

As for Dragon Quest, it would be another collective all of them answer. I'm more for the GBC and Symphonic Suite arrangements of songs. Having said that, my favorite soundtracks would have to be VII and VIII's. I consider VII's soundtrack to be the best work Sugiyama has done in the series, while VIII's is my favorite to listen to anytime.

One more for now: the Banjo Kazooie games. Grant Kirkhope's work in the N64 games has stayed in my head for years, and I'll likely never forget the themes of Mumbo's Mountain, Gruntilda's Lair, Terrydactyland, Hailfire Peaks, and all the other catchy songs from the games. I've told Grant Kirkhope's via Facebook it was thanks to his work that I became so interested in music, and it was thanks to his bass/horn arrangement for Hailfire Peak's lava side was what got me into playing low brass instruments.

I would also like to say the Banjo N64 games have the best midi styled music I've heard. You can tell it isn't actual instruments, but the way they sound is very convincing. Grant made the most of the N64's sound capabilities (actually Rare was great at this as a whole for their Nintendo games), and he did a hell of a job.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I like some individual tracks from Hatsune Miku games but they're not all winners and they're at a severe disadvantage when I can't understand the lyrics. An English translation is on the screen at the bottom but what idiot looks away from the button prompts to read the lyrics? I can only appreciate them based on the way they sound and from a technical standpoint, knowing that someone worked hard to put together an entire original song themselves, compared to a famous singer that records someone else's lyrics and a nameless, faceless technician gets no credit for putting it together and making it work. Bit of a rant, but yeah. I've also put more time into Dancing All Night than I have in any Project DIVA game. I guess that's not fair since the story is 10 hours long, but still.

Like Eal, I'm turning to music games for the best music, in my case, Taiko No Tatsujin. However, also like Eal, a handful of songs lose appeal to me due to the language barrier. That aside, some other notables go to(in no particular order):

Battle of the Brave from SMT Devil Survivor2, Ringabel's Theme from Bravely Default, and Asagi Metamorphosis from Disgaea. They're all just so catchy.

I always have a difficult time picking a favorite out of anything.

So let me list a number of games with soundtracks I absolutely adore.

Let's just start with dragon quest 8 to get that over with.

Final fantasy 6, 9, 10 and 12

Bloodborne

Dark souls 1

Kingdom hearts, all of them.

Rogue galaxy

Dark cloud 2/dark chronicle

Persona 2 innocent sin and persona 4. And I have a strong feeling 5 is going to join this list. Persona 3 would have joined the list if not for the rapping. I like it ironically, but I can't say I love it. It has a good number of tracks I do absolutely adore tho.

Digital devil saga 1 and 2

Nier

Drakengard 3

Shadow hearts covenant and from the new world (never played koudelka or shadow hearts 1, or listened to the OST)

Dragon's dogma

Valkyrie profile 1 and 2

Tales of symphonia and vesperia

lost odyssey

Kid icarus uprising

Bastion

Okami

Oblivion

And let me stop right there becouse I am getting all nostalgic and I could go on for a while with this.

I've never been able to really decide my favorite video game soundtrack. It would probably be Final Fantasy VII or Persona 4. I'll just give a list of my favorite video game songs in no particular order.

Shin Megami Tensei:Persona 4:Signs of Love

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time:Sheiks Theme(shoutout to Gerudo Valley)

The Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask:Stone Tower Temple

Dragon Quest VI: The Saint

Dragon Quest VII:Heavenly Village

Dragon Quest VIII:Earth, Sea, and Sky

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor: Reset(vocal)

Chrono Trigger:World Revolution

Final Fantasy X:A Fleeting Dream

Final Fantasy VII: Cids Theme

Final Fantasy VI: The Falcon

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies: Phoenix Wright~Objection!

Xenoblade Chronicles:Zanza

Xenoblade Chronicles X:Noctilum

Speaking of Final Fantasy, that's a hard one for me to choose. Uematsu did a good job with his work while he was apart of the series, and to his credit he did give the 3 SNES and PS1 games their own sound/instrumentation with the console hardware.

I haven't heard all of his work in Final Fantasy (the three missing culprits being 7, 8, and 10's soundtracks), but as it stands right now...probably would go with IX as my favorite. There are a lot of styles in this soundtrack, and I love the variety (though I hate that in order to have the full soundtrack you have to buy two seperate OSTs) and always put the soundtrack on when I have long drives or early shifts.

Closely after IX's soundtrack would be VI. I consider it Uematsu's best work in the series thanks to the many remarkable tunes and the colossal pieces for Dancing Mad and Balance is Restored (which I consider my favorite credit/ending song), but my favorite would still be IX.

I would also like to give a mention to V's soundtrack. I love the sound format/instrumentation used in the SNES version of the soundtrack, and not enough people mention V's songs. Call this my close third, followed by IV's SNES soundtrack.

Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy Tactics, Etrian Odyssey, Dragon Quest VIII, and Baten Kaitos are some of my top for soundtracks.

Another I will be adding to the list is Final Fantasy XV. The game has a really solid soundtrack, one of the best out of the Final Fantasy series.

Etrian Odyssey

Do you have any particular favorites from the series, or are you like me and just say "All of them?"

Touhou is a pretty easy winner for me in this regard, particularly from the 7th game (Touhou Youyoumu ~ Perfect Cherry Blossom) on. The 6th game's (Touhou Koumakyou ~ The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil) soundtrack is overrated imo, however. The instruments in EoSD are terribly flat sounding to me (and that's part of why I don't like the game as a whole much).

This song's probably my favorite of them. Though, that is at least in part due to how well it fits Fujiwara no Mokou's story in general.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Pokémon X and Y, and Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade get honorable mentions.

FF6, FF5, Chrono Trigger, FF7, DQ4, Symphony of the Night are tops for me.

Honorable mentions: Chrono Cross, Xenogears, FFX, Tales of Phantasia, Romancing SaGa 3, DQ7, 5 and 8, Ys 1 and 2, and the Etrian soundtracks.

Edited by Fates

That's hard to say...

Chrono Cross

Xenogears

Xenosaga 1

Xenoblade Chronicles

Dragon Quest II

Dragon Quest VII

Dragon Quest IV

Zelda: Wind Waker

Final Fantasy VI <- Dancing Mad remains my favourite videogame track

Final Fantasy IX <- There are few tracks that rock as hard as Assault of the White Dragons, or as moving as Protecting my Devotion.

Final Fantasy XII <- especially this one, the whole thing is superb, fits nicely like a jigsaw puzzle with multiple outcomes.

Bloodborne

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Soma Bringer

Baiten Kaitos

Arc Rise Phantasia

There are a lot of others, but I can't recall as I haven't spent time listening to game soundtracks as often as I used to.

I thought of another I love- Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey.

Now this game's soundtrack, boy does it set the mood. This was one that actually made me afraid to travel through the sectors of the Schwartzwelt thanks to little experience with dungeon crawlers at the time and it being my first SMT game. God, did Shoji Meguro do a hell of a job. Great instrument arrangements with the best music quality I heard from a DS game. This is one I could praise to high heaven (not like I haven't already in the last few lines) and it's easy for me to say this is my favorite SMT soundtrack, and the best one in the series in my opinion.

Follow ups for Meguro's work would have to be his contributions to Soul Hackers soundtrack (which is another good entry from the series, lots of diverse sounds and styles) and Persona Q's soundtrack, which is my favorite Persona series soundtrack.

Oh, and one more: Bravely Default's soundtrack. Fastest way to describe it is one word: Perfect.

• Upvote 1

Yeah Bravey Default's soundtrack was pretty good. But I was so mad that the Baal theme wasn't on the soundtrack but was instead on a separate CD drama disc -_-

I also liked Bravely Second's soundtrack, but not as much as it's predecessor naturally.

Yeah Bravey Default's soundtrack was pretty good. But I was so mad that the Baal theme wasn't on the soundtrack but was instead on a separate CD drama disc -_-

I also liked Bravely Second's soundtrack, but not as much as it's predecessor naturally.

At least the Baal and the Nemesis theme got an official release at all when For the Sequel came along. :P

Second has a good soundtrack too. Default has the better when compared side by side, but ryo did a good job and made some interesting pieces.

I do feel your pain on the Baal theme, thought this time with Second's soundtrack: the vocal theme used for the chapter interludes isn't on the official soundtrack, and it and the full version of the ending song have to be purchased seperately. At the least, the two vocal tracks can be boughten on iTunes, but still it's too bad it was seperated.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

My top 3 in no particular order would have to be Katamari Damacy, Every Dragon Quest game ever (couldn't pick one of I tried), and Majora's mask.

Another soundtrack I really like that I didn't mention in my first post is Metroid, just, everything Metroid. The music is really atmospheric and even creepy sometimes. This one is probably my favorite Metroid song.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Shoot, I forgot to mention... Pokemon Gold and Silver. It was nice of them to include the GB Player in HGSS too, even though I thought the HGSS soundtrack was nicely arranged.

Here are my favorite soundtracks, in no particular order:

• - Dragon Quest II
  • - Dragon Quest IV
  • - Dragon Quest VI
  • - Ys 1+2 Chronicles (yes, I am counting it as a single game)
  • - Ys:  Oath in Felghana
  • - Ys: Memories of Celceta (I know the original versions had larger soundtracks but I prefer this higher quality version of the soundtrack, even if it has a bit cut out)
  • - Earthbound

And even though I feel the rest of the soundtrack from DQV isn't my favorite (still a great soundtrack though), honorable mention to its "Tower of Death" theme.

Edited by clusa

Oh yeah Oath in Felghana had a really good soundtrack. The full version of Valestein (however it's spelled...) Castle is godlike.

Another one I should mention, Star Ocean 3. Really great soundtrack that doesn't get a lot of recognition.

Etrian Odyssey

Do you have any particular favorites from the series, or are you like me and just say "All of them?"

Nope, I like all of it.

Honestly the only EO games I played are Untold 1 & 2, and Mystery Dungeon. But I have listened to all the soundtracks multiple times already, and love them.

If I had to really choose, my top 2 would be The End of the Raging Waves and the Emerald Woodlands.

Edited by Twinkie