Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI at Jump Fiesta 2017

I liked VII over IX. It was a better blend letting me keep some skills, not having to lose everything when changing over.

Nothing from IX should be brought back. Especially not the job class system.

I liked 9's balance.

I get Glaceon's point about VII being overboard, but while I would say, maybe reduce the Human class system a bit, and keep the monster class system from VII.  Maybe cut it down by 10 or so.  Streamline it a bit, but keep the 7 3DS functionality.

Increase the number of passives to each and every class.

Keep 9's stat system and how it affects damage (just increase magic damage a bit more).

Keep 9's combo system.

Keep 9's buff/debuff system.

Zap line MUST be present.  There can be no legitimate DQ hero without it.  Hell,if you want balance, only allow the Hero to naturally learn the Zap line of spells, and buff up the final form so it's actually worthwhile, since it sucks in every single release except its first iteration in 3.

On top of passives...keep 9's Coup de Grace system, and the Co-op de Grace.

Keep 9's approach to critical hits, especially for aoe weapons.

Keep 7's Tombola system.

Monster Arena ala 8, and a monster park ala 7 3DS.  Complete with a hybrid system of 7's tablet system and 9's grotto system where you find random maps ala 9, but you get to populate it with recruited park monsters ala 7 3DS.  Monsters grow and develop based on map level, which is individually handled per map via an experience gifting system to the boss like 9's Legacy monsters.  However park monsters can be "scaled" when chosen as the leader of a map.

The randomness factor for maps determines the map layout, treasure count, and level of treasure.  They're won at a specific rate from tablet/grotto bosses, and their chest level is a % chance based on the level of the tablet/grotto boss, where a level 99 slime has about a 5% chance for level S chests, and a level 99 Gigadraco has a 30% chance.

The boss level reflects upon the monsters recruited from the park for the monster arena.  While your character level grants arena monsters higher stats, their skill pools change based on their monster meadows level and skill pool.  Oh, I should mention, that like with Legacy bosses, leveled monsters should actually GAIN skills and even alter patterns as they level up, to increase the threat.  Just note that a level 99 slime, while it has Hammer's skill pool, is still a pushover for most level 30 players.

7's auto-stealing system, 9's skill stealing system.

New Game+ feature that allows carriage of monster meadows data so continued recruitment can be carried out, including levels and skill pools.  Tablets can also be chosen to carry over, and up to 3 classes pre-mastered upon the revival of Alltrades can be chosen to carry over per character from the list of already mastered classes.

Edited by ignasia7

I think I liked Grottoes over Tablets, if only for the added incentive of treasure

Anyone else feel they might implement some Amiibo functionality for the 3DS version.

Personally, I'd keep the human classes before the monster ones, but that mostly boils down to my general dislike of monster classes as a result of "too many" in VII.

I felt VI's two monster classes were all that was really needed for them (though give Liquid Metal more skills unique to it, like Omniheal).

As for the randomly generated stuff (if returning), I'd say lean more toward IX in terms of reward and layout structure (there's just more incentive to explore there), IX's unique boss set over the stronger normal enemies (with new bosses, of course), IX legacy grotto level up method (none of the sharing stuff again, please), and VII 3DS's easy way to get tablets and music variety.

Also quietly pointing out Zap was not associated with the protag in VII and was more or less just another skill, since unlike in VI the protag doesn't get hero class early in VII (and doesn't have an event for it either, which the VI hero did).

• Upvote 1

Anyone else feel they might implement some Amiibo functionality for the 3DS version.

I don't think they will/would.

Yeah, probably, right now everything is just pure speculation.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Although. DQ Amiibos would be awesome for my collection.

DQ9's class system is nice but once you've gotten your character super strong (natural traits across multiple classes..) you just can't go back to fighting anything but the hardest grottoes, which is a bit of a downside. Perhaps half the power of natural traits if you're not in the class it came with? That way there's still a point to getting them, but they don't combine to make something quite as crazy.

DQ9 has just the right amount of classes - not too many, not too few - and unlocking them via quests (usually with prerequisites) was good, in my opinion.

I think XI should use party members with unique skills rather than the vocation system again. I do love it, but I'd like carefully crafted guys this time around.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

I think XI should use party members with unique skills rather than the vocation system again. I do love it, but I'd like carefully crafted guys this time around.

Yeah, something like DQ8 would be nice, since it encourages replayablity.

As much as I hate the idea of having to hunt down amiibos for my collection, I think it would be a good way to popularize the series in the west. I only know of Fire Emblem because of Smash and Amiibos.

Disregard.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I'd be down for amiibo tbh, though they'd probably be Switch compatible as well as 3DS if they do wind up being a thing.

Not sure what they'd do though, guest party members?

Actually, guest party members would be really cool, they could all be legacy characters and I can get a Kiryl Amiibo

I'd be down for a Kiryl amiibo, though he'd have to wait his turn for my money if Harry, Terry, Milly, Angelo, Kiefer, Nevan, Parry, Madchen, and/or Gabo/Ruff are around.

...amiibo cards?

Edited by Glaceon Mage

What about PS4 and (potentially) PC, though?

What about the other versions of Shovel Knight?

I'm not familiar with Shovel Knight, what did the Shovel Knight amiibo do ingame?

I was thinking maybe if they were to reuse the tablet system from VII they could hold Tablet Dungeons. Guest party members sound cool, the first one I'd get I think would be either Kiefer, Aishe, or Milly.

• Upvote 1

I'm not familiar with Shovel Knight, what did the Shovel Knight amiibo do ingame?

It unlocked Co-op with a second player, allows for a bit of customization, and new challenge levels

It unlocked Co-op with a second player, allows for a bit of customization, and new challenge levels

Sounds like quite an incentive for the Wii U version, then. If you had a Wii U already, of course, since I doubt it's incentive to buy a whole Wii U for it.

Sounds like quite an incentive for the Wii U version, then. If you had a Wii U already, of course, since I doubt it's incentive to buy a whole Wii U for it.

Nah, not enough incentive.  Especially given how Nintendo handles Amiibo sales/print runs.  Pick it up the moment it pops up, hope you can beat the bots to it.

I would be fine with an Amiibo, so long as 1) they slowly continue production and don't run a permanent shortage...I get the tactics early on, but some Amiibos continue production, some they keep in permanent "rare" status.  2) If anything is kept in "rare/limited" status, to release a patch or download later on that allows access to the Amiibo's function for all players...I'm fine waiting even 2 years down the line if they prefer, but 1 year would be sufficient.