Sign in to follow this  
FionordeQuester

Notable Differences Between Mobile DQ1 (2004) and Mobile DQ1 (2014)

I just found something really interesting while trying to find some speed runs of this version of the game.  I finally found one with a time of 1 hour, 56 minutes, and 41 seconds, and it seems to be on a 2004 version of the iPhone game.  But, the runner also shares some really... interesting information on some of the "supposed" differences between it and the other remakes.  To paraphrase (because this came from Google translate originally)...

3. The main differences between the SFC version

3-1. An increase in EXP requirements.
The following Experience values are necessary for learning each spell, including Sizz, Repel, and Midheal.  So now I have no choice but to grind south of Garinham until I learn Sizz.  I also need Holy Waters before entering the Dragon Lord's castle, since I don't have Holy Protection when entering it.  In addition, I have to grind in Mercado for a longer period of time.

SFC     App      EXP Multiplier
Heal                              23        17                     0.74x
Sizz                               47        73                     1.55x
Sleep                          450      450                          1x
Glow                         1300    1700                     1.31x
Fizzle                        7500    2450                     0.33x
Evac                         4000     4250                    1.06x
Zoom                        5500    5500                         1x
Holy Protection     10000  18600                    1.86x
Midheal                  17000  24200                    1.42x
Sizzle                      25000  29800                    1.19x

3-2. Strengthening of Swamp Dragon and Dragon Lord

The Swamp Dragon and 2nd Dragon Lord are stronger than they were in the SFC version, which means they need a different strategy to beat.  The Swamp Dragon requires Holy Waters, while Midheal's Level requirements have been increased to account for 2nd Dragon Lord's power up.

Swamp Dragon - Around 250 HP [for reference, the original SFC dragon was exactly 153 HP]
2nd Dragon Lord - Around 500 HP, coupled with 175-180 Resilience [the SFC version was 350 HP and 150 Resilience]

3-3. Decreased EXP and Gold values from enemies 
On the other hand, most monsters give less EXP and Gold; usually about 80% of what they gave in the SFC version.  There are exceptions, however. 

SFC    App  EXP Multiplier
Swamp Dragon  950     840                 0.88x
Golem               2500   1800                 0.72x
Red Dragon       350     306                 0.87x

This, along with the increased spell learning requirements, forces the player to grind for much longer.

3-4. Sleeping characters always attack immediately

Sleeping characters will always attack on the same turn they wake up.  This makes the Golem fight completely different, as the player can no longer sleep lock them like they could in the SFC version.  Beating him at low levels has become quite difficult.

And what does that all mean for a speed run?  Well, it means a lot, actually; but what interests me most is this:

2-3. Splits0:00:00 power ON0:07:28 Lv.5 acquired0:13:33 Rocky Mountain Cave0:17:27 Rimuldar Armor0:29:36 Escape from Garin's Grave0:35:20 Lv.11 acquired0:40:35 Dragon defeated (1)0:54:44 Dragon defeated (4)1:00:16 Golem defeated1:06:42 Erdick's Armour acquired1:15:26 Dragon Lord's Castle (1st trip)1:36:48 Lv.22 reached (Holy Protection Acquired)1:37:00 World of Darkness (he says Yes to Dragon Lord's offer; this way he gets his MP refilled while starting at Rimuldar instead of Tantegel)1:50:35 Lv.24 reached (Midheal)1:53:48 Dragon Lord defeated1:56:41 THE END 

I don't know about you guys...but this sounds like a very different game than the one I ended up playing on my iPad.  Notice how there's absolutely no mention of ANY changes to the name stat generator system!  Players in our version seem to be limited to only two sets of stat growth patterns, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the version this runner played.  So I checked a Japanese video of the 2014 version...and it looked like it was about the same as the version we got.  

Therefore, I have to conclude that all of these changes are exclusive to the 2004 version.

Rather interesting, eh guys?

Edited by FionordeQuester
  • Upvote 1

Well, more digging around; and I think I found the so-called "2004 version".  This was programmed for a Japanese smartphone called N900i, and came pre-installed on said phone.  I couldn't actually find a lot of gameplay footage for it, but, here's one clip I found...

The graphics are mostly the same as what we got, but the colors are much more washed out.  In addition, the sound quality is significantly lower.  It more-or-less sounds like the GBC version, but with an echo added to all the songs.  Most importantly, all of the changes I listed above are exclusive to this version.  

So...pretty interesting I'd say; not sure how great it is to actually play, but, I'd be interested in giving it a try if I ever get the chance.

Edited by FionordeQuester
  • Upvote 1

Wow. Interesting. I really should be saying more, but I got nothin'.

Is there any way to emulate this version? I've been wanting to try it out for myself for many years. If I had the ability, I'd buy the game, but I don't have a compatible phone (as it was only sold in Japan from what I can tell), the service that sold the game (if it was indeed available for purchase other than just buying the phone it came preinstalled on) would be Japan-exclusive, and even if the previous two barriers where non-issues, the service selling the game has likely been shut down for a long time.

At one point, years ago, I did a pretty thorough search for the pre-smart phone DQ Mobile games... well. As thorough as I could do without being able to read Japanese. Even searched for "ドラゴンクエスト" ".jar". No results that I found relevant. At this point I don't even remember what Java emulator I was using to play mobile games...

At one point, years ago, I did a pretty thorough search for the pre-smart phone DQ Mobile games... well. As thorough as I could do without being able to read Japanese. Even searched for "ドラゴンクエスト" ".jar". No results that I found relevant. At this point I don't even remember what Java emulator I was using to play mobile games...

Yeah...searching is tough when you don't know much of any Japanese.  I at least have rudimentary knowledge thanks to Japanese 1, and I know of an awesome online Japanese Dictionary...

http://jisho.org/

So I probably am slightly better equipped than you would've been.  But still...yeah; it's a struggle :P

I seem to recall it was KEmulator Lite

I have to wonder what other unique differences exist between the other mobile ports, like finer details on enemy stats, or even regen rates, or AI patterns.  It's funny how, while easier overall, many of the remakes/ports/reboots also offer much more difficult enemies or subtle changes that SHOULD make the experience more painful, but the changes to make them easier often railroad right over them, so few actually see the distinctions.  Though in this case it's entirely a much more painful game given that reduction in experience.

A Wild and Woolly King Zenith Appears from the Mysterious Snow Drifts of Canada.

Command?

Edited by ignasia7

Sometimes I forget that I was once an active and useful member of this community. I could have searched for the old post that contained that information, if only I had remembered it...

Sometimes I forget that I was once an active and useful member of this community. I could have searched for the old post that contained that information, if only I had remembered it...

You may not frequent as much as you once did, but useful you certainly are.  Doesn't change that you're human.  Heck, I constantly make mistakes and have to be corrected or pointed to the right data, even when I'm actively researching.  That said, you're still family (community family that is).  Always will be.

Edited by ignasia7

There's been internal debate about dropping the "Grand" portion of your user name.

You may not frequent as much as you once did, but useful you certainly are. Doesn't change that you're human. Heck, I constantly make mistakes and have to be corrected or pointed to the right data, even when I'm actively researching. That said, you're still family (community family that is). Always will be.

Was just poking fun at the fact that I don't come around often and I used to be able to remember things like that. Thank you for the reassurance, it is appreciated.

There's been internal debate about dropping the "Grand" portion of your user name.

Yeah, guess I should just mosey on over to the name-changing thread and request to be downgraded to StandardAlchemist. Hahaha.
  • Upvote 2

I'd have to say the main differences would be balance changes and localization.

Sign in to follow this