Halo instead of usual comic-style hurt effect?

The other day I was deep in a grotto fighting a stale whale. When the whale attacked my martial artist, rather than the usual comic-y effect, there was a yellow halo-ish effect. I'm not sure what causes that.

For what it's worth, here's my martial artist's stats and equips:

Alena - Martial Artist, Lv. 99

Strength: 411, Agility: 622, Resilience: 245, Deftness: 360, Charm: 120

Magical Mending: 27, Magical Might: 28

Max. HP: 570, Max. MP: 44

Attack: 576, Defence: 364, Style: 361

Weapon: Combusticlaws

Shield: None

Helmet: Halo

Body: Aliahan clothes

Hands: Matador's gloves

Legs: Combat trousers

Feet: Aliahan boots

Accessory: Tough guy tattoo

..I'm wondering if the halo helmet has anything to do with it? Probably not, though..

Anyways, has anyone else ever had this hurt effect instead of the normal one before? Any ideas on what causes it?

Sorry if I'm not terribly clear.

Edited by Liam
  • 1 year later...

This happened again today; also while fighting a stale whale. Different party member this time. I'm pretty sure this is an ability of the stale whale.

Edit: yeah, it's probably the confuse attack. Bestiary entry #213 reads: "Woeful whales who singe foes with Scorch, and whose rancid spines are rank enough to confuse anyone they touch."

Mystery solved, over a year after I discovered it!

Edited by Florrie
This happened again today; also while fighting a stale whale. Different party member this time. I'm pretty sure this is an ability of the stale whale.
Edit: yeah, it's probably the confuse attack. Bestiary entry #213 reads: "Woeful whales who singe foes with Scorch, and whose rancid spines are rank enough to confuse anyone they touch."
Mystery solved, over a year after I discovered it!
Never noticed that. Nice find!
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

And now someone with an obsession will have to go through and test any other contact-based special abilities.

Just as an example, Bubble Slimes have a poison-looking attack. That's probably an envenomate move of some sort. (I couldn't be certain; it never works on me.) I think Dread Admirals also have a paralysis move. So who wants to go through all the moves? :)

• 4 weeks later...