Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

PSN Accounts - Can I get some answers?

I wish I had the drive to play as many games as you do, Yangus.

Being done with college has helped out. As much as I did like college, whenever I had free time between classes or assignments I just couldn't bring myself to play any games unless it really hooked me. Definitely explains why Yokai Watch, Legend of Legacy, and Fantasy Life have remained on hold whereas Bravely Default couldn't be put down.

While I should be beating other games I've left in limbo, the reason I'm so excited for all these PS1 games is because it was a system I was never allowed to play growing up. Only had an N64 and GBC, and everyone I knew who had a PS1 was an teenager, and they didn't want some kid playing. Though I did watch one friend play through the Spyro games, the only gameplay time I had with a PS1 was the 2 minutes I got to play Twisted Metal 2 and destroyed one of the older kids characters before they booted me off for doing so well on my first try.

Now with my PSP and the cheap prices for all these PS1 games, I feel it's worth investing my time. Even if it takes awhile to play everything, I'm looking forward to all these great games I missed out on for so long.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I have a surplus of time, but lately I can't seem to do anything for more than an hour or two. Rarely do I ever have long play sessions with anything.

The poor ladies must be disappointed.

Yangus, if you get the chance, play this:

The Legend of Dragoon is an old favorite of mine. On sale right now, too.

Yangus, if you get the chance, play this:

https://youtu.be/B3AJW1pLz70

The Legend of Dragoon is an old favorite of mine. On sale right now, too.

On sale, you say?! You my good man have me sold!

(Plus that was another game I've wanted to check out for a long while now, so thanks for the sake heads up!)

I think I might pick it up again myself.

EDIT: Oh snap, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is on sale too! Both games are currently $2.99! That's a steal!

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

I think I might pick it up again myself.

EDIT: Oh snap, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is on sale too! Both games are currently $2.99! That's a steal!

Gah, so many good games going on sale! This was a good time to finally access the PSN.

I'm sorry Sword, both of those games are going to have to wait for a little bit, because Twisted Metal 2 is on sale for $3! That's one I definitely can't pass up!

Did these sales just start? Do they usually last a while?

I'm sorry Sword, both of those games are going to have to wait for a little bit, because Twisted Metal 2 is on sale for $3! That's one I definitely can't pass up!

This is Week One of the Anniversary Sale. You have until...noon next Thursday, I think. I'm just gonna she'll out six bucks and grab the two I mentioned. I think I still have three dollars in my wallet, so that's one game right there.

This is Week One of the Anniversary Sale. You have until...noon next Thursday, I think. I'm just gonna she'll out six bucks and grab the two I mentioned. I think I still have three dollars in my wallet, so that's one game right there.

I did some quick looking and I found a full list of what's on sale. Had to scroll down a bit to find the PS3 (and technically PSP) section for the sale games, and wow, there's a good deal of games I'd like to get that are on sale. Gonna have to pick up another PSN card this week!

I'm glad you said something about Legend of Dragoon being on sale Sword, cause this gold mine keeps getting better and better!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/08/playstation-store-celebrating-a-decade-of-downloads/

Wow, Xenogears is on sale too.

Thanks for the info and game list Erdrick! Funny enough I was thinking about getting the PS1 version of Toy Story 2. Played and completed the N64 version as a kid, but trying out the PS1 version sounds good to me.

Of all the versions, the PS1 version is best. While the N64, Saturn/Dreamcast (I don't remember which one is which, I've never owned a Sega console), and PC versions have higher display resolutions, there are other detractors. The N64 has lower quality textures and terrible MIDI-like music. It's also missing some music entirely. The Dreamcast version has the same quality music as PS1/PC, but is also missing some music (I've never played this version, but I've watched a Let's Play of it). The PC version is identical to the PS1 version (it actually appears to have a cut-down emulator that emulates certain functions of the PS1 version) but with higher resolution, and doesn't support controller vibration or analog sticks. But if you're going to play on a modern PC, you might as well play the PS1 version in an emulator, and upscale the emulator's internal resolution. This way you get the best of both worlds - plus, with the latest versions of ePSXe or PCSXR, you can get true widescreen (actual 16:9 rendering, not stretched 4:3).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the PS1/Sega/PC versions all have actual clips from the movie in between levels, rather than the still shots and text found in the N64 version.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I decided to pick up another PSN card today to take advantage of the sale going on, and now I'm good to go for awhile. Spyro 3, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Toy Story 2 (while be curious to see what kind of differences exist between the PS1 and what I remember of the N64 outside of the changes Erdrick mentioned), MediEvil, and Rayman 2, all $3.

To quote my current profile picture:

Thanks for the info and game list Erdrick! Funny enough I was thinking about getting the PS1 version of Toy Story 2. Played and completed the N64 version as a kid, but trying out the PS1 version sounds good to me.

Of all the versions, the PS1 version is best. While the N64, Saturn/Dreamcast (I don't remember which one is which, I've never owned a Sega console), and PC versions have higher display resolutions, there are other detractors. The N64 has lower quality textures and terrible MIDI-like music. It's also missing some music entirely. The Dreamcast version has the same quality music as PS1/PC, but is also missing some music (I've never played this version, but I've watched a Let's Play of it). The PC version is identical to the PS1 version (it actually appears to have a cut-down emulator that emulates certain functions of the PS1 version) but with higher resolution, and doesn't support controller vibration or analog sticks. But if you're going to play on a modern PC, you might as well play the PS1 version in an emulator, and upscale the emulator's internal resolution. This way you get the best of both worlds - plus, with the latest versions of ePSXe or PCSXR, you can get true widescreen (actual 16:9 rendering, not stretched 4:3).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the PS1/Sega/PC versions all have actual clips from the movie in between levels, rather than the still shots and text found in the N64 version.

I've made it past the Bombs Away! stage, and I have some thoughts on the two versions:

1. I think I prefer the text stories instead of the film footage. Honestly I think the two could be combined: text explanation, then as a bonus you can watch the cutscene from the film.

2. Like the DS Dragon Quest midi quality, I'm going to have to disagree with you Erdrick and say that the N64's version of the soundtrack is fine. I mean, the difference is clear in sound quality, but it works fine.

Speaking of music...

3. Not a fan of the mini boss theme in this version. While it's the same song as the N64, I very much prefer the N64 version thanks to its faster tempo and frantic sound. Same thing with Bombs Away's boss theme: the N64 version feels more fitting, whereas the song they used in the PS1 version felt out of place. I haven't played this game in years, yet i still remember the N64 song.

There are some other sound things I've noticed, but I won't bring them up. Still glad I got this version, but not having that frantic mini boss theme is kind of disappointing.

Let me know when you try out Castlevania and Legend of Dragoon. I'm curious to find out what you think of them.

Let me know when you try out Castlevania and Legend of Dragoon. I'm curious to find out what you think of them.

Sure thing. I probably won't start them anytime soon, likely finish Spyro 2 and play Grandia before cracking open those two.

I have had some experience with Metroidvania games thanks to Dawn of Sorrow on the DS, but it's been a very long time since I've played that kind of Castlevania game.

Almost any Castlevania fan you ask will say that SotN is the best of the series, or at least very high up on the list.

I love it myself, but my Castlevania experience is lacking. I've only played Symphony, Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, Lament of Innocence, and Curse of Darkness. Of those, I only failed to beat Circle of the Moon, and that's only because I was using an emulator for it and never got used to keyboard controls with that game. I prefer a controller in my hand for Castlevania.

I really want to play Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia at some point.

Almost any Castlevania fan you ask will say that SotN is the best of the series, or at least very high up on the list.

I love it myself, but my Castlevania experience is lacking. I've only played Symphony, Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, Lament of Innocence, and Curse of Darkness. Of those, I only failed to beat Circle of the Moon, and that's only because I was using an emulator for it and never got used to keyboard controls with that game. I prefer a controller in my hand for Castlevania.

I really want to play Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia at some point.

Depends...there are two types of CV fans.  Pre-Iga and Iga fans.  I suppose we can tack in three kinds, including the newcomers with the Mercury Steam's reboot, who like it because it followed modern conventions from God of War.

There are definitely people from the pre-Iga group who like the metroidvania style, but most of them are hardnose old-CV only.  They hate the RPG elements, and more fluid gameplay, which reduces difficulty substantially (especially the RPG elements).  Not that CV is a difficult series, but it is an unforgiving one.  So they feel the style of gameplay of the original brand is ruined with the new ideas.  Despite there being little room for growth for that style and approach, especially at that time, due to certain limitations, and that one can play in the standard style by just plugging in Richter's name (not-so-secret-secret) in the naming screen, which makes for a noticeably harder game.

Then there's the Iga crowd where many, like me, were old CV fans, but we wanted more, and liked the ideas in CV2.  SotN was a brilliant ploy, and one of a bare handful of games I replay annually.  Most of us prefer the changes made with Iga's heading the series, and actually comprise the largest of the three fanbases.

Then there's the Mercury Steam fans.  Most of which are new, but a few are die-hard pre-Iga fans who wanted something more akin to a pure action platformer, and to a degree, are more satisfied with the first and third releases.  Especially the first game.  The second game was...a mishmash half-baked attempt to appeal to iga fans, who were insulted greatly by Mercury Steam's founder who stated his sales and game quality were far superior to Iga's creations (which were easily disproven, and the second being subjective and thus an asinine comment), and that somehow sales had been lackluster, which is not true at all, they're up and down depending on the release.  Which is funny because the second game of the Lords of Shadows series, the prequel, is one of the lowest selling and most despised CV releases.

In anycase, definitely play SotN if you can. It's available on all Sony systems to my knowledge, it's possible through the Rondo of Blood (Dracula X) remake, there's the Sega Saturn release (damn expensive, because it's also a unique version, with unique maps that were unfinished, but could be bugged to access...yeah, it's cool).  The original PSX, the greatest hits PSX version, um...Microsoft's systems, from the 360 to the Xbox One, and the S as well.

Um..oh yeah, ok, you NEED to play Circle of the Moon in a normal setting.  Or at least get a working controller, or a converter for your Dual Shock controller, or Xbox controller (small or large).  Seriously, that's easily one of the best games of all time.  Once you really get used to the card system, it becomes an exceptionally clever game design without too much brokenness.

Portrait of Ruin is a solid game, and i'm not sure which of the two, that, or Order of Ecclesia, I prefer.  PoR is more difficult overall, and while certain areas can be cheased by timing your switches of the two characters, the game never once gives you any overwhelmingly powerful force/magic/weapon.  Sure, there are some really solid pieces of equipment, and the girl has some really awesome magical spells, but the real power is in using the two together.  Plus Portrait ties into Circle's storyline.

Order of Ecclesia is a GREAT experience.  Hardcore at first though.  Probably the hardest metroidvania for the first 3~4 hours.  Especially given levels take longer to get.  However, the game becomes a cheese fest once you learn certain abilities, and can combine for attacks that dish out max damage...and then you're around the leveling hotspots.  When I say cheese, I mean a room temperature brie, with a fine wine...as it's essentially payback time for monsters who were just having their way with you before.  It's just not as balanced as PoR is.

Both PoR and OoE actually have solid storylines.  A bit less cheesy than Soma's storyline (though I have to admit, I really do enjoy playing as Soma...that soul stealing function and soul combination system in the second game are so much fun), and much more depth into the characters.

That said, yes, you do absolutely NEED to pay CV:SotN. If you like the others, the original is...I so wish they would reuse Alucard.  It's just so much fun.  I wish they would expand his spell tree in a new game, with him as the lead once more.

Interestingly enough, I was gonna enter the Castlevania series by playing the DS games. Always looking to beef up my DS collection. I watched a video where they went through every piece of boxart for the series and they look beautiful, even the ones no one talks about. I was figuring Order of Ecclesia first.

Interestingly enough, I was gonna enter the Castlevania series by playing the DS games. Always looking to beef up my DS collection. I watched a video where they went through every piece of boxart for the series and they look beautiful, even the ones no one talks about. I was figuring Order of Ecclesia first.

Definitely, why not?  Those are the last Iga games, at least until he finishes his own game in his signature style.

I would recommend PoR first, if any, then Dawn, then Order, but it doesn't matter really.  Order of Ecclesia is probably the most fun of the three, though they're all very solid entries.  I'm really surprised you've never played the series, not even the old-school CV.  Or you can just play Order of Ecclesia, then play the other two games in order of their story, by getting a GBA, unless you have one already, and getting both Circle of the Moon -> Portrait of Ruin, then Aria of Sorrow -> Dawn of Sorrow.  Though some people find Aria to be the superior game, the controls in Dawn are much better, and Aria is the harder of the two later on, with Dawn becoming a little cheesy and easy with a few really sweet soul combinations, neither of them are particularly difficult, but they are fun, and I prefer the smoothness of Dawn's gameplay and more consistent frame rate.  One of the problems with Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow are heavy frame drops, specially Harmony, due to the GBA's inability to handle certain graphics (several souls in Aria change the field graphics of the character and can cause some lag in a few places...Harmony is laggy all the time).

So the Memory Stick I ordered arrived this morning (which is really quick since I only just ordered it) and it turns out the seller upgraded the MS to a 1 GB stick instead of a 32 MB one. They included a note that said they had made the "upgrade," at no extra cost to my Amazon account, and hoped I enjoyed.

WOO-HOO!

Definitely, why not? Those are the last Iga games, at least until he finishes his own game in his signature style.

I would recommend PoR first, if any, then Dawn, then Order, but it doesn't matter really. Order of Ecclesia is probably the most fun of the three, though they're all very solid entries. I'm really surprised you've never played the series, not even the old-school CV. Or you can just play Order of Ecclesia, then play the other two games in order of their story, by getting a GBA, unless you have one already, and getting both Circle of the Moon -> Portrait of Ruin, then Aria of Sorrow -> Dawn of Sorrow. Though some people find Aria to be the superior game, the controls in Dawn are much better, and Aria is the harder of the two later on, with Dawn becoming a little cheesy and easy with a few really sweet soul combinations, neither of them are particularly difficult, but they are fun, and I prefer the smoothness of Dawn's gameplay and more consistent frame rate. One of the problems with Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow are heavy frame drops, specially Harmony, due to the GBA's inability to handle certain graphics (several souls in Aria change the field graphics of the character and can cause some lag in a few places...Harmony is laggy all the time).

I could probably play nearly every Castlevania just with the systems I have. The older games have been mostly ported at this point and I still have my old GBA. I could even play the Wii fighting game if I wanted to if not for its reputation. Pretty much every game is readily available in some capacity.

I'm just not much for Metroid style games, and well, the genre IS often called "metroidvania."

Iggy, I thought Portrait of Ruin was more closely connected to Bloodlines. I know John Morris is one of the playable characters in that game (the other is Eric Lecarde, if anyone is curious), and with his son Jonathan being one of the protagonists in PoR, I thought there'd be some connection.

Come to think of it, doesn't Eric pop up in PoR in some way?

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

I'm disappointed in the lack of Chrono Cross on the PSN. Can't say I'm too surprised it isn't there, but I was hoping I'd be wrong and it would be available.

Boy, it took me a while to find footage of the N64 version of Toy Story 2 that didn't have voiceover drowning out the music. While I must respectfully disagree with Yangus about the miniboss theme, I must say that the MIDI instruments aren't as bad as I remember them. I don't think they reach the quality of the actual recordings used in the disc-based versions of the game, they aren't bad for sequenced music.

I think I'll have to give the N64 version of the game a playthrough soon to compare the two. I only played the N64 version for a few minutes at a friend's house when I was a kid, I never did own it.