Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

PSN Accounts - Can I get some answers?

So I'd like to get a PSN account started up. Never bothered with my PSP, but since I've had the itch to play a few PS1 games that are pretty pricey for physical copies, having access to downloadable versions for my PSP would be great.

Before I get one set up, I did have some questions though:

1. Can PSN accounts be used across all eligible Playstation systems no problems, or are they locked to that particular system like Nintendo accounts?

2. Do you need to pay a subscription fee of some kind to download games for the PSN? Really I only plan to download PS1 games, but does Sony require you pay for Internet access just to access the game download option?

3. (Insert future question(s) here)

I figure since this is a technology based question, I thought it would be a good way to break the ice for this sub forum.

They can be used on every PlayStation system. The one on my PS3 is the one on my Vita is the one on my PS4. Even supports cross-buy. So long as the game's been ported to the particular system.

No subscription fee. They do have one, but it's not required.

Is the subscription fee for online play, such as to improve the connection? I was looking at PSN store cards yesterday and saw that a few had "X month subscription" attached to them.

Also, can any friends you add via a system be seen/stay consistent (or will always appear) across all consoles?

There are regular PSN gift cards for buying stuff in the store, then there are subscriptions for something called PlayStation Plus, which is just some program that gives you free games and discounts, the catch being if you end your subscription those games are taken away, so I don't even bother with it.

Oh, ok. Well that's good to know then.

On another note, after looking through the list of the PS1 Classics available, my PSP might be getting a lot more attention now!

So it looks like I'll need to upgrade my Memory Stick to a larger size for some PS1 games, as my current one is only 4 GB. It does seem like the prices for a 32 GB Memory Stick are really good at only $10.

So it looks like I'll need to upgrade my Memory Stick to a larger size for some PS1 games, as my current one is only 4 GB. It does seem like the prices for a 32 GB Memory Stick are really good at only $10.

Need any suggestions, or any questions for games you haven't played yet?

Need any suggestions, or any questions for games you haven't played yet?
Actually I would love any suggestions.

So far I'm planning on checking out several games (Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, Final Fantasy VII-IX, the 2nd and 3rd Spyro games, the Suikoden games, Tomba) but any others would be good. There were plenty I saw that I would love to play since I never was a Playstation kid growing up, so from here on out I have a lot to catch up on!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I just thought of something: how well do 3D PS1 games like Spyro and Mega Man Legends play on the PSP? I mean, the system doesn't have the second analog stick for camera control, so does that mean the analog stick by the D pad becomes the camera? Hopefully playing the likes of Spyro won't be too difficult...

Like the XBox Live-based system, PSN accounts can work across multiple systems.

I got one on my PSP. When I got my PS3, same account, even a lot of the same games (( PSX titles are cross-platform. )). Same for the Vita.

There is a subscription-based system (( you need it for online PS4 play )), but it's worth it, as it gives you free games and good deals during your subscription.

And as far as PS1 games, they play swimmingly. I <3 Tomba, Castlevania SOTN, Mediievil, god i'm going to get a vita &#036;#&#33;&amp; rent &#036;#&#33;&amp; it all to hell *run run*

Most PS1 games don't use the second analog stick, as I understand, it was only added to avoid patent disputes with Nintendo and the 64 controller. The only game I know of that uses it is Ape Escape.

The PSP analog stick is mapped to L2 (left) and R2 (right) by default, but there's an option in the menu to remap buttons if you press the PS button. Even if you map the dpad buttons to the analog stick though, you won't get any analog support, just digital support mapped to the for analog directions. Without custom firmware, there's no way to get true analog support for PS1 games on PSP. (Even with CFW, I'm not sure if anyone made a plugin for that.)

By the way, Spyro uses the shoulder buttons (L1 and R1 I believe) to control the camera - only left and right.

You don't need a subscription to play online for PSP or PS3, but you need PlayStation Plus to play online on PS4. Dann Microsoft made paid online look to appealing for Sony to pass it up this generation I guess. At least PSN seems to have been hacked less since the PS4 came out, so I like to think they're putting the money to good use.

As for PS1 games recommendations, here are my favorites: (Not all are on PSN, but if you install CFW, you can convert your own PS1 games to a digital form that can be installed on PSP.)

-Crash Bandicoot

-Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back

-Crash Bandicoot Warped

-CTR (Crash Team Racing)

-Crash Bash

-Dragon Warrior VII*

-Final Fantasy VII

-Final Fantasy VIII

-Spyro the Dragon

-Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!**

-Spyro: Year of the Dragon

-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3***

-Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue****

*Note that Dragon Warrior VII isn't fully playable, unfortunately. Even when you finally get it running, the unavoidable crashes start in the Dharma region. You can get around these by choosing your save, passing each crash in an emulator, and converting the save back, but I'm not sure it's worth the time, especially with the remake available now.

**Known as Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer in PAL regions.

***Even if you've played the PS2/XBox/GameCube version, you should play this one. It's got some different levels and goals. The load times are shorter too, if that counts for anything.

****Also known as Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 2 Action Game. They couldn't seem to pick a title for the packaging, but every version says "Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue" on the main menu. This is one of the few good movie licensed games, seriously play it.

Thanks for the info and game list Erdrick! Funny enough I was thinking about getting the PS1 version of Toy Story 2. Played and completed the N64 version as a kid, but trying out the PS1 version sounds good to me.

On a new note, I have my account all set up and currently downloading Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! After that I'm going to get Grandia 1 while it's on sale for $3.

Thanks for all the answers and help everyone. Looking forward to having a means to play all the PS1 games I missed out on!

If only God in his infinite wisdom would grace us with the two Spider-Man games on PSN.

Spyro 2, I now have you (on my PSP).

Now it's Grandia's turn, and hoo boy, it's gonna take half an hour (and then some probably!) to download the game. But for $3, the wait for it will be worth it to finally try out this game/series.

I had some leftover gift card money in my Amazon account, so I went ahead and ordered that $10 32 MB memory stick. Probably when that arrives I'll pick up Final Fantasy VII-IX (but I gotta start with IX because having a portable version of that game sounds great to me).

Wow, PS1 games play great on the PSP! I booted up Spyro 2 after I completed my downloads (decided to get Suikoden as well, you can never have too many RPGs), and after tweeking the controls and screen size things were going smooth as better. Can't believe it took me so long to do this, but better late than never! Glad my PSP will get some more playtime in the future.

There's actually a way to get Dragon Warrior VII working 100% perfectly, even allowing the disc change to be relatively smooth (the biggest problem the game has), but this requires a CFWed PSP anyway, and I don't recall the exact program my friend utilized, and the tweaks he made to the config.  I just know it can be done.

Wish I had after learning about it...

In anycase, looking at this list:

Alundra

Xenogears

Arc the Lad II

Arc the Lad

Armored Core

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Note the Dreamcast version is the best by far, and there's a Steam release that uses the Dreamcast engine)

Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter 2

Syphon Filter 3

MediEvil (though Eal mentions it above I believe, I'll mention it again...bad controls, but it's fun)

Jet Moto

Wipeout

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Erdrick mentions this, but it's just too good not to repeat)

Spyro the Dragon

Cool Boarders 2

Crash Bandicoot: Warped

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back

Darkstalkers 3

Twisted Metal 2

Wild ARMs

Wild ARMs 2

Breath of Fire IV

Chrono Cross

Legend of Mana (incomplete game...yes, literally, it's a bloody beta at around 80~90% completion, but it's still a great game, good story, and fun gameplay)

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy Tactics (in some ways preferable to War of the Lions, mostly due to the lag, but I prefer WotL myself)

Front Mission 3

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature

Megaman X5
Megaman Legends

Megaman Legends 2

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve II

Pandemonium

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (not as good as Innocent Sin...they really should remake these two and release in the US)

Rayman

Resident Evil: Director's Cut (GC version is best)

Resident Evil 2 (GC version is best)

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (GC version is best)

Strider 2

Suikoden

Suikoden II

Vagrant Story

Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness

The Legend of Dragoon

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation

Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider II

Tomb Raider III

Threads of Fate

Tomba! 2: The Evil Swine Return

Vanguard Bandits

Wait, hold on, I don't think I added enough emphasis to one title.

Edited by ignasia7

I kept seeing the Arc the Lad games. The name of the series sounds familiar, but I'm not sure why. What kind of series is it? RPG, action, puzzle...?

Is Breath of Fire on the PSN? I'm not going to do any modding or whatnot on my PSP so anything that can't be boughten from the PSN is off the table.

I know for a fact that Breath of Fire IV is on PSN, as I have it myself. Pretty sure III is there too. Not certain of the other ones.

I know for a fact that Breath of Fire IV is on PSN, as I have it myself. Pretty sure III is there too. Not certain of the other ones.

3 wasn't there last time I checked, but 4 was.   Though it's been awhile.

I kept seeing the Arc the Lad games. The name of the series sounds familiar, but I'm not sure why. What kind of series is it? RPG, action, puzzle...?

Arc the Lad is a...how to put it.  It's a tactical/strategy turn based RPG.  It's like a more action oriented version of Fire Emblem and Shining Force's take on the tactical rpg system.  Think older FE, like up until the GC releases, and Fates.

For some reason my PSN account is closed.  Great, hopefully it's not due to someone hacking it, and Sony trying to cover up their f'up by closing it.  Gonna have to call them up and figure out what happened, since I actually did buy software from them.

I wish I had the drive to play as many games as you do, Yangus.

I wish I had the drive to play as many games as you do, Yangus.

For me, drive = time. There's just none.

I have a surplus of time, but lately I can't seem to do anything for more than an hour or two. Rarely do I ever have long play sessions with anything.

3 wasn't there last time I checked, but 4 was. Though it's been awhile.

Just checked. Both are indeed there, though III only showed up for PSP and Vita. Means I can't pick it up until I get around to fixing my PSP.