DQ Character Opinions D24 - Dhoulmagus, Rhapthorne, and VIII Hero

Dhoulmagus - Such a pity he wasn't around longer. He's a genuinely creepy villain, and his battle can be a challenge in the first phase where he creates copies of himself. Phase 2...yeah it can be bad when he hits multiple people, but not that bad of a battle. Never needed Multiheal when fighting him.

Rhapthorne- I thought he was a cool antagonist. Controlling people through the scepter, giving him an ever present feel, was an interesting idea. I thought he (and Dhoul) had a fitting voice, though when Rhapthorne is giant his voice becomes pretty stupid. Was hoping for a loud and booming voice that echoed in order to match his size. Instead he sounded like Frank Welker when he voiced The Claw on Inspector Gadget.

Hero - Not a fan of the yellow, but I still like this hero. Good story, nice skill sets.

Dhoulmagus- He's entertaining. That's all I got.

Rhapthorne- Ugliest final boss, perhaps. Don't particularly like him, and I kinda dislike fighting him.

DQ8 Hero- I like him, especially when he goes Super Saiyan.

I'm sure we can think of a certain girl that has an opinion on Dhoulmagus and Rhapthorne.

Multiheal and Omniheal practically break the game. Neither Dhoulmagus or Rhapthorne posed a threat to my under leveled party so long as I was good about casting those.

Do you mean Madrigal?

Never needed Multiheal when fighting him.

Am I just really unlucky, then?I often find myself getting hit with Kacrakle, Kasizzle, and his breath attacks more than the Single Target stuff.
No idea. Like Muduo, I don't find Dhoulmagus all that bad of a fight. Never bothered to get Angelo up to level 30 for Multiheal every time I've played VIII, but even without it I did fine. Getting Angelo (or anyone in the party) to level 30 would have felt like overkill anyway. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dhoulmagus - Such a pity he wasn't around longer.

Hohoho, I see what you did there. Dhoulmagus is one of my favourite antagonists in the series, especially because it takes a while before you finally get to see him. You keep hearing about him, and you know defeating him is the goal of your quest, yet you don't get to see what he looks like until, like, 8 hours into the game. He's this ominous, looming presence in the background, and manages to be legitimately creepy. The party's quest to track Dhoulmagus down sort of reminds me of FF7's quest for Sephiroth, except I actually enjoy myself when I'm playing DQ8. While I'm a bit mixed on his speaking voice, his laugh is really creepy and cool. 

I remember fighting him for the first time. He dealt so much damage to my party, I thought I was supposed to lose, so I let him kill me. I very distinctly remember the feeling of dread I felt when I woke up in a church, and realized I actually had to beat him. He kicked my butt three times before I finally managed to kill him. DQ8 was the first time I played a Dragon Quest game, and I didn't realize how useful the Kabuff and Insulatle spells were until later in the game (I never use Shell and Protect in Final Fantasy, so I figured I didn't need them in DQ either). Having to go through the dungeon three times was kind of annoying, but finally beating Dhoulmagus was the best feeling ever.

Rhapthorne: I thought the twist with him being the real bad guy was really cool - having played many RPG's in the past I realized there would probably be a twist regarding who the true villian was, but I never expected the sceptre itself to be more than just a stolen treasure. That being said, the design of his first form is... really, really stupid. He looks like a flying raisin, and his silly voice makes him even less intimidating. Luckily, his second form is slightly more threatening. 

VIII Hero: one of my favourite Hero designs. Love the bandana.

Dhoulmagus - stupid name but decent guy

Rapethorne - one of rare fat enemies I actually like

Hero - did he stole this bandana from his grandma? Under tension one of my favorites in Dq.

Hero. I probabely just got really attached to the guy. But he has my favorite hero design. I also like his backstory a lot.

Dhoulmagus. In the end just a tool for Rhapthornes ressurection. But he was an interesting villain that I got attached to over the years. The whole journey while you are following him, and you find out he just killed another person was also really well done. Also, probabely one of the first and few times in a videogame I got tricked into thinking he was the final boss(I was pretty young, now something like that would be obvious). That moment also left an impression on me.

Rhapthorne. Don't particularly like him or his design. But I love the whole journey towards his ressurection. The moment you find out the staff is possessing people, and him taking over bodies was great. And he does have one of my favorite final boss themes of all time.

Dhoulmagus - Such a pity he wasn't around longer. He's a genuinely creepy villain, and his battle can be a challenge in the first phase where he creates copies of himself. Phase 2...yeah it can be bad when he hits multiple people, but not that bad of a battle. Never needed Multiheal when fighting him.

Rhapthorne- I thought he was a cool antagonist. Controlling people through the scepter, giving him an ever present feel, was an interesting idea. I thought he (and Dhoul) had a fitting voice, though when Rhapthorne is giant his voice becomes pretty stupid. Was hoping for a loud and booming voice that echoed in order to match his size. Instead he sounded like Frank Welker when he voiced The Claw on Inspector Gadget.

Hero - Not a fan of the yellow, but I still like this hero. Good story, nice skill sets.

I'll go with Twinsie on all 3.

I'm sure we can think of a certain girl that has an opinion on Dhoulmagus and Rhapthorne.

1 word about that: cockroach

I actually enjoy myself when I'm playing DQ8. .

It's the Jessica boob mechanics that does it, right?

• Upvote 1

Obviously! Jiggle physics are always an extremely important part of my gaming experience.

As a fairly new member of this community, I don't know who eal is talking about, but the word 'cockroach' makes me wonder if I want to know.

Obviously! Jiggle physics are always an extremely important part of my gaming experience.

As a fairly new member of this community, I don't know who eal is talking about, but the word 'cockroach' makes me wonder if I want to know.

We've had a lot of new people since last Christmas, so sit right back for a short tale...

We had a new member join and post like freaking crazy for all of about 10 days last holiday season. Dhoulmagasgirl or the like was her username. Obviously, big fan of his. Well, in some topic we got off topic and talked pets. She mentioned her pet cockroaches and infamously posted a picture of them... crawling on her face.

*shudder*

Hero. I probabely just got really attached to the guy. But he has my favorite hero design. I also like his backstory a lot.

Dhoulmagus. In the end just a tool for Rhapthornes ressurection. But he was an interesting villain that I got attached to over the years. The whole journey while you are following him, and you find out he just killed another person was also really well done. Also, probabely one of the first and few times in a videogame I got tricked into thinking he was the final boss(I was pretty young, now something like that would be obvious). That moment also left an impression on me.

Rhapthorne. Don't particularly like him or his design. But I love the whole journey towards his ressurection. The moment you find out the staff is possessing people, and him taking over bodies was great. And he does have one of my favorite final boss themes of all time.

Yeah, pretty much this.  I was quite a bit older when I played DQ8, but I really did think Dhoulie was the final boss.  The first time I fought him, I vacillated between thinking this was a really short game, and thinking, like ChrystalChameleon, that this was a battle I was meant to lose.