DQ Character Opinions D23 - Medea, High Priest Rolo, and Marcello

Medea - Eh.

Rolo - Funny enough I missed the first cutscene he can appear in when I first played 8. I had no idea about the cutscene between him and Marcello on the island with the Goddess statue you could see once you gained a ship, but on my second playthrough I decided to stop there and discovered the cutscene.

I love how exaggerated his voice acting is.

Marcello - My favorite NPC in the game. His story was perfect, his interactions with the party showed off his arrogance and pride he's obtained to block out his past, and his progression through the game was spot on. And the final moments he interacts with his brother before disappearing...just perfect. Loved the open ended way he just walked off, leaving you to wonder what happened to him. In my opinion he's one of the best written characters in the series.

Honestly I thought everything about the guy was nailed perfectly...but then in the 3DS version they had to $#!& things up and show off what happened to him after his disappearance. There's a reason I stopped commenting in my "About Red and Morrie" thread on the DQ8 board, all because Madrigal had to reveal that Marcello's fate was changed. There was nothing wrong with the open ended nature of his disappearance, as his story and character was explored enough and came to a satisfying conclusion.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Medea- She's cool. I always made trips back to the spring just so she and the Hero could talk, even if only for a moment. I really liked her voice actor, come to think of it.

Rolo- No real thoughts on him. He's got a crappy voice, that's about it.

Marcello- Total jerk, and he's awesome for it. He's one of those jerks you enjoy hating on, but he's cool enough that you don't get too annoyed with him. It also helps that he's a bit of a badass. Anyone who's played the game knows exactly why he is.

Medea is best girl of VIII. Those hips, that hair, those legs, those reins. Drives me wild.

I call him Grand Wizard Rolo.

Marcello is a little p***y.

Edited by eal

Don't want to sound strange but i only like Medea in both horse and human form. Very nice.

Medea: Ehhhh I admit it, I have a bit of a thing for Ojou-sama type characters. Same reason I have a weak spot for Nera. I visited the Mystical Spring at every chance I got so I could find out more about her. Wish Medea had a little more character development, but I like her nonetheless. 

While the 3ds version lets you marry Jessica, Medea will always be the True Wife to me. May also have to do with the fact I don't really like the way the Jessica ending is written.

Rolo: No particulary strong feelings about this guy - I like how he redeems himself in the end, though. The scene in which he pretends to be sick is one of the funniest scenes in the game, thanks to Yangus' and Jessica's horrible acting.

Strangely enough, I always thought Rolo died at Purgatory Island, until I beat the game a second time a couple of months ago. I somehow completely missed the dialogue about him becoming the new Lord High Priest, and didn't notice him in the ending cutscenes.

Marcello: While I didn't really like Marcello as a person, I thought he was a very enjoyable character, probably one of the most, if not THE most complex villain in the series. His final scene with Angelo is the most emotional scene in the game for me. Made me feel a lot sadder than I thought it would, since I wasn't particulary fond of both Angelo and Marcello.

Medea. Let's just say, I only like her becouse then spring scenes were pretty impactfull, and I like the whole story behind Medea and Trode's cure. Other than that, have to admit, pretty boring.

Rolo. Barely remember what he was like tbh. Despite DQ8 being my favorite game, it has been years since I last played it. He slipped my mind.

Marcello. The guy I loved to hate. One of the best characters in the game. Love his story with Angelo. Final scene was impactfull. I kind of wanted to see a little bit more of him after that, but at the same time, I am oke with how they ended it.

Medea. Let's just say, I only like her becouse then spring scenes were pretty impactfull, and I like the whole story behind Medea and Trode's cure. Other than that, have to admit, pretty boring.

Rolo. Barely remember what he was like tbh. Despite DQ8 being my favorite game, it has been years since I last played it. He slipped my mind.

Marcello. The guy I loved to hate. One of the best characters in the game. Love his story with Angelo. Final scene was impactfull. I kind of wanted to see a little bit more of him after that, but at the same time, I am oke with how they ended it.

That about sums it up. I couldn't pick Rolo out of a crowd.

Medea: Ehhhh I admit it, I have a bit of a thing for Ojou-sama type characters. Same reason I have a weak spot for Nera. I visited the Mystical Spring at every chance I got so I could find out more about her. Wish Medea had a little more character development, but I like her nonetheless. 

While the 3ds version lets you marry Jessica, Medea will always be the True Wife to me. May also have to do with the fact I don't really like the way the Jessica ending is written.

Is the player somehow forced into marrying Jessica? Or is there a way to still marry Medea, as is the correct ending? Like, is marrying Jessica some extra side thing you can aim for?

Is the player somehow forced into marrying Jessica? Or is there a way to still marry Medea, as is the correct ending? Like, is marrying Jessica some extra side thing you can aim for?

Jessica now has a "relationship points" thing that if you get it high enough will cause the ending to alter. Eight can still marry Medea if the Jessica points aren't high enough.

How those altered endings are handled, however...

While odd, that's a pretty neat addition to the game.

I think it's pretty cool too, though I wish the execution of the endings was a little better. Worst of all, you can't even marry Yangus. The only character I want to marry, and it's not even an option! Just ridiculous.

Edited by ChrystalChameleon

I think it's pretty cool too, though I wish the execution of the endings was a little better. Worst of all, you can't even marry Yangus. The only character I want to marry, and it's not even an option! Just ridiculous.
They need to get with the times! It's not the middle ages anymore.

Well, to be fair it is the middle ages in dragon quest, but it's not the middle ages for us...

• Upvote 1

They need to get with the times! It's not the middle ages anymore.

Well, to be fair it is the middle ages in dragon quest, but it's not the middle ages for us...

We all know Horii loves his gay jokes, with DQ4's 'modern woman' heroine, DQ2's Puff Puff guy and Stiletto in DQ Swords - surely marrying Yangus wouldn't be too much to ask!

They should add an Angelo ending while they're at it, so the poor guy can finally come out of the closet.

tumblr_o5he8v9pGl1s92erpo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o5he8v9pGl1s92erpo2_1280.jpg

• Upvote 1

Evidently, what we need is Empyrea to make DQ8 endings for everyone by dragging everyone who's anyone into the DQ8 world.

And then they would all be very confused what just happened.

Okay, not really. I don't really see the need for any more endings to DQ8 tbh. Hero/Medea was really all that was needed given all the ship teasing, anything else would likely come off as horribly as the Jessica endings did.

It's gotta be like a high school setting and whichever club you join is the route you go down. Each club has more than one girl and the one you spend the most time with is your final route. Be like, Meena and Milly are both in the magic club or something, but you could also pursue Milly along with Maya and Aishe in the dance club.

These are the things you think of when you have too much time on your hands.

It's gotta be like a high school setting and whichever club you join is the route you go down. Each club has more than one girl and the one you spend the most time with is your final route. Be like, Meena and Milly are both in the magic club or something, but you could also pursue Milly along with Maya and Aishe in the dance club.

Clearly, Empyrea/Lamia is the Headmistress, and dumped them there after deciding that they should lead more normal lives???

How is a bird a Headmistress? Who cares, she can talk.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

It could be like "This is the first year in which Alefgard High is co-ed. That is, monsters and humans learning in the same school" And then your childhood friend could be a Slime or something that you can pick as a romance option. If the game didn't function as "pick a club, pick a girl, the end," it could instead be determined by stats. Different paths will open based on athleticism, intelligence, quirkiness, and social skills. Certain girls would prefer a chubbier or fitter MC, smarter or a bit of a slacker, a goofball or a stiff, and a sociable and charismatic player or a shy introvert. There could be an alternate path in which you encounter a girl only if you skip class a lot.

I think you need to go join a magic dancing club with all this time you have free!