winky55

Dragon Quest Villain Opinions V1 Dragonlord, Hargon, Malroth, Baramos,

Since G Mage is doing character opinions, I thought it would be fair if I did my own villain opinions.

Dragonlord- The first villain of the series when it started and stole the Sphere of Light to conquer Alfegard and overrun it with monsters by turning the Golem against Catlin, destroying the town of Damadra to cripple trade and even kidnap Lady Lora to demotivate King Lorik to send out his men to stop him. He even tries to get the DQ1 Hero to join him and share half of the world, either the hero saying 'No' and fighting him twice in two forms just like Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty or the hero saying 'Yes' and the Dragonlord turns him into a Hoodlum monster and only gets a small part of the land thus requiring the Builder to finish the job (Although the humanoid form fight expands his abilities to having dark duplicates and even having a barrier while still retaining the spells) Def a great first villain

Hargon- The villain that's built up as the Big Bad, showing his attack on Moonbrooke and killing all but Princessa and one injured soldier who makes it to Midenhall to report. Then, upon finding Princessa survived the attack, turned her into a dog. He even curses Princeton to be sick halfway through the game. However, it turns out that he is just the leader of the Malroth cult, an army of DQ 2 monsters along with a few remaining minions from the Dragonlord's army (I.e Slimes, Metal Slimes Drackies and Green Dragons that's all) who plan to summon Malroth the God of Descurtion to lay waste to Alfegard. By the time he is defeated, he offers himself as a sacrifice and Malroth comes in to finish the job (And fails). Also was the first underling in the entire DQ series as a whole.

Malroth- The real villain of the game. His name is rarely mentioned, and the False Idol was just another hint of his existence. After Hargon is defeated, Malroth comes in and puts up a deadly fight, even knowing Fullheal, and becoming a deadly force in the Dragon Quest world. 

Baramos- The second underling of the series, and chronologically the first. He threatens to take over Aliahan, causing Edrick upon turning 16, to go out with three companions, and defeat him and his DQ3 introduced minions and save the world. Upon going through many trails and tribulations, Edrick awakens Ramia and goes into Baramos's Castle and fights and defeats him, seemingly ending the game. However, upon the start of the celebrations, the Master Archfiend Zoma intervenes saying Baramos was just a follower of him and he will plunge Aliahan into darkness as he did with Alfegard. An intimidating villain by his quote "Thou will regret thy coming indeed, for I will feast on your innards!".

​Zoma- Baramos' master and the true leader of the DQ3 monsters. He conquered Alfegard and waited for Edrick to come into Charlock Castle, even having King Hydra murder Ortega in front of his son's eyes. Upon reaching Zoma, he sends King Hyrda, the Soul and Bones of Baramos to defeat his nemesis, before fighting him himself. However, he is defeated with the Sphere of Light which was given to Edrick by the Dragon Queen before she died upon giving birth to her egg. However, before disappearing, he warns Edrick of someone else who would try to take over Alfegard in the future, foreshadowing the egg the Dragon Queen gave birth to was the Dragonlord. One of the best villains in video games, and even set the trend of the true music for the final boss being set in after weakening him or her.

Uh, I've been including the villains since I started the threads... but okay!

For my thoughts on these guys, I'm not the most familiar with the Loto games aside from II. And II's villains were basically "evil cult guy" and "evil cult god" which isn't very much all things considered. They get their job done, but they aren't really much more.

Malroth/Sidoh isn't the most foreshadowed evil god final boss ever either and doesn't really do much beyond show up and get beaten to a pulp.

• Upvote 1

Uh, I've been including the villains since I started the threads... but okay!

For my thoughts on these guys, I'm not the most familiar with the Loto games aside from II. And II's villains were basically "evil cult guy" and "evil cult god" which isn't very much all things considered. They get their job done, but they aren't really much more.

Malroth/Sidoh isn't the most foreshadowed evil god final boss ever either and doesn't really do much beyond show up and get beaten to a pulp.

Yeah, you're right. I already knew the facts, I just wanted to make them sound more appealing but Malroth showing up and get beaten up to pulp, you're kinda right on the money cause I already seen it myself.

• Like 1

After playing Dragon Quest Builders 2  Hargon and Malroth are way more interesting especially the fact that from the beginning of the game Malroth is in a human form and acts as your ally.

• Like 1

I think that Baramos has to be one of the best villains in the series.

He's already a threat from the get go, your entire journey is to kill him, and he WILL wreck you if you are not prepared, eating poor Hero's entrails while he writhes to death because someone didn't get Insulatle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RyuKisargi said:

I think that Baramos has to be one of the best villains in the series.

He's already a threat from the get go, your entire journey is to kill him, and he WILL wreck you if you are not prepared, eating poor Hero's entrails while he writhes to death because someone didn't get Insulatle.

Sounds like you've been watching my most recent playthrough.

• Like 2

Gotta go with Dragonlord. Both Emblem of Roto and DQ Builders fleshed him into one of the most (well) developed antagonist of the franchise. 

The godlike dragon turned evil because of one jerk (Gorgona, in EoR) when he was still an infant, who decided to fight for the sake of monsterkind, who turned against the one who made him evil when he realized that he was 'too' evil, to the guy who tempted the main protagonist of DQ, and who by that logic is the only vilain who succeeded. At least in one of the timelines.

Good ol' Dragonlord is fabulous, and fabulously interesting. 

Well since this topic was randomly revived I guess I’ll chime in.

DragonLord - One of my favorite villains from the series. I like how you can see his lair from the very beginning of the game and know what you’re aiming for.

Hargon - Like his design and his artwork on the official boxart of the Famicom original, not much else really sticks out.

Malroth - Same as Hargon, but I like how he’s this mysterious threat that you hear about a few times depending on the translation. He’s a tough final boss too.

Baramos - Good villain, dialogue, and battle, but you needed to see more of what he had done to be this threat to the world. It makes no sense that the game keeps saying he’s a problem when the only place his influence has destroyed is the town south of the Necrogond. Love his battle theme though.

Zoma - Not listed but who cares. A good surprise from DQ3, shows he’s actually a threat to the world of Alefgard and to the other world when he’s introduced and provides a tough battle. He’s like the DragonLord where he was handled correctly. Great battle theme as well.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:57 AM, DrippySlimeStar said:

Sounds like you've been watching my most recent playthrough.

I actually have not. Link me to your Twitch or Youtube and I will pop in at some point.

Spoiler

I've been playing DQXI Act 3 and beat his Tickington quest, and almost got wrecked. Came out with 2/8 party.

Edited by RyuKisargi

20 hours ago, RyuKisargi said:

I actually have not. Link me to your Twitch or Youtube and I will pop in at some point.

Hide contents

I've been playing DQXI Act 3 and beat his Tickington quest, and almost got wrecked. Came out with 2/8 party.

I'm #$*!ing with ya, I wouldn't even know how to record or stream. It's just funny how I'm at Baramos and getting my ass handed to me so I have to grind.

4 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I'm #$*!ing with ya, I wouldn't even know how to record or stream. It's just funny how I'm at Baramos and getting my ass handed to me so I have to grind.

I’m surprised MattCraft took that as a serious “I‘ve been streaming,” comment. I figured you were just making a joke about how your current playthrough was going and that Matt was spot on with his comment about how it was going.

I like watching DQ streams.

• Like 1