DQ Character Opinions D21 - Yangus, Jessica, and Angelo

Yangus - My absolute favorite character from the series if that wasn't clear by my user name, various Yangus pictures/gifs in my signature, and having Yangus as my profile picture (including this year since it's the year of my other favorite characters).

I love his design, his voice acting and accent (God bless you Ricky Grover you magnificent man), and his undying friendship with the party. While he squabbles with everyone except the Guv and Medea, you can tell he's a good man who wants to help all he can.

Yangus is my favorite because I can relate so well to him. I know what it's like to be treated badly because of looks, and feeling isolated. But a few encounters in life changed that, and like the bandit turned hero I found myself enjoying helping others and improving myself, not letting what others think of me bring me down.

He's a terrific character and one hell of a party member, having some of my favorite weapon options in the series. Plus, as some may have noticed, all my "level ups" are based off the different names of Yangus' Humanity levels.

Jessica - She's probably my favorite of the red headed mages in the series (and no, it's not because of the VA VA VOOM). I like her story, she has some good skill sets, and she's a good counter to Angelo's snark.

Angelo - While not my favorite playable character of VIII's bunch, I love the backstory and dialogue of Angelo.

Very biased about these characters. First game in the series for me, personal preference for big console experiences. better animations, voice acting etc. Instantly makes me connect more to characters.

Yangus is my favorite character in the series. Very loyal guy, very likable and funny.

Jessica. She is cool. The least interesting of the original party to me. But I definately still like her.

Angelo. I also like him a lot. Seems a bit shady at first, but ends up being a cool guy. I also like his backstory with Marcello a lot.

I'll just spare you from my personal opinion regarding Yangus design so but I consider him very usefull to have in party.

Jessica - nice story, name, design, nice pai..

There's nothing i dont like about her.

Angelo - Typical RPG pretty boy who is loved or hated by fans.

I'll just spare you from my personal opinion regarding Yangus design so but I consider him very usefull to have in party.

You really have something against the fat guys, don't you?

You really have something against the fat guys, don't you?

Remember, i didnt say anything and always trying not to discriminate. You said that.

Yangus: The reason I bought the game in the first place. I bought an action figure of him in a merchandise store before I even heard of the series, because his design really stood out between all the anime-pretty-boys figures they sold there (his figure was also only 15 bucks, which was a lot cheaper than any of the other figurines). A few months later, when I visited a second-hand game store, I noticed him on the cover of a certain Dragon Quest game, so I decided to give the game a try. Best decision of my life.

I just really love the guy. His unique design aside, I also love how the Party Chat shows how sweet of a guy he actually is. His banter with Trode is also hilarious. I'm going to keep him in my party at all times when I play the 3ds remake. Overall, one of my favourite characters in the series.

Jessica: Initially, I was a bit disappointed by how sexualized her character was, with her special skill being 'Sex Appeal' and her skimpy outfits, but after a while I stopped taking it so seriously and it just became amusing. 'But Jessica laughs triumphantly, having won the battle of the bulges!' is definitely one of the funniest lines in the game. While she's not my favourite female character in the series, I do like her, and not just for her looks - I really enjoy the scenes in which she interacts with her mother and Bangerz and Mash. 

Also, I may be one of the few people to say this, but I REALLY love her voice acting. She sounds like an actual human being, instead of the squeaky anime girl voice I expected to come out of her mouth. It's too bad she has been replaced in the 3DS version, but her new actress sounds good as well, so I don't mind that much.

Angelo: When I played through DQ8 the first time, I didn't really like Angelo. However, when I played through the game a second time, I payed more attention to the Party Chat, and Angelo really has some of the funniest lines in the game, from making fun of Charmless to cracking jokes about Dhoulmagus minutes before facing him in battle. His last scene with Marcello is also one of the most touching scenes in the game to me.

The thing I like the least about Angelo is the way he ALWAYS complains when you go somewhere you're not supposed to go. Shut up, Angelo, I just want to explore this cave!\

the rushed alternate ending girl,

Looks like we have similar opinions about the new ending, Glaceon :P
Edited by ChrystalChameleon
  • Upvote 2

I do actually like her original voice actress quite a bit, it even fits her look quite a bit too. Don't go listening to the Japanese audio though. You won't like what you hear from her.

Yangus: The reason I bought the game in the first place. I bought an action figure of him in a merchandise store before I even heard of the series, because his design really stood out between all the anime-pretty-boys figures they sold there (his figure was also only 15 bucks, which was a lot cheaper than any of the other figurines). A few months later, when I visited a second-hand game store, I noticed him on the cover of a certain Dragon Quest game, so I decided to give the game a try. Best decision of my life.

I just really love the guy. His unique design aside, I also love how the Party Chat shows how sweet of a guy he actually is. His banter with Trode is also hilarious. I'm going to keep him in my party at all times when I play the 3ds remake. Overall, one of my favourite characters in the series.

+1 for you. I was surprised how nice Yangus could be in his party chat and how he wants to look out for everyone (especially Red whether he wants to admit it or not). His scowl gives the impression he could be rude or angry, but really it's the total opposite.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Medea suddenly not wanting to marry the protag just kind of comes out of nowhere, considering she's ship teased with him the entire game, and Jessica suddenly confessing and appearing as a replacement is quite awkward.

When I play it, I'll always going for the Medea endings.

Edited by Glaceon Mage
  • Upvote 1

I do actually like her original voice actress quite a bit, it even fits her look quite a bit too. Don't go listening to the Japanese audio though. You won't like what you hear from her.

Ugggh, I know. Judging by what I've heard from it, I'm not a big fan of the Japanese dub overall, aside from Takehito Koyasu being pretty good as Dhoulmagus, and Angelo and Trode having pretty fitting voices. Yangus is way too over-the-top - Ricky Grover's laid-back delivery of his lines is part from what makes Yangus so funny, something his Japanese counterpart completely lacks. And Jessica... I've heard her Japanese voice actress in several anime, and I think she's actually quite good, but I just don't like hearing her voice coming out of Jessica's mouth. Far too bubbly for my taste. 

This may be a trivial complaint, but something else I don't like about the Japanese dub is how it uses very famous voice actors. Because I knew none of the voice actors in the English dub, I immediately associated their voices with the characters. Dhoulmagus' English voice actor is a bit of a mixed bag for me (his laugh is really cool though), but while Takehito Koyasu is very good, all I can hear is Kururu from Keroro Gunsou when he talks.

+1 for you. I was surprised how nice Yangus could be in his party chat and how he wants to look out for everyone (especially Red whether he wants to admit it or not). His scowl gives the impression he could be rude or angry, but really it's the total opposite.

Exactly! I expected him to be a gruff mean bandit guy based on his design, but his party chat really made me love the guy. His loyal attitude towards the Hero is also very sweet. 'I reckon you should live in a big posh mansion like this one day, guv. You deserve to 'ave somewhere nice.' What a great guy.

Yeah, Medea suddenly not wanting to marry the protag just kind of comes out of nowhere, considering she's ship teased with him the entire game, and Jessica suddenly confessing and appearing as a replacement is quite awkward.

When I play it, I'll always going for the Medea endings.

I kind of liked how Medea refused to marry the Hero in the new ending (even though it goes completely against all the ship-teasing earlier in the game) because I didn't really like how she had no choice in the matter in the 'good' ending of the original, even if she showed some interest in the Hero. However, it gets ruined completely seconds after that when you find out Trode has arranged a marriage between the Hero and Jessica without his knowledge or consent. I really hate how the game forces you to marry Jessica right after that, despite the fact the Hero JUST PROPOSED TO MEDEA. At least give me a Yes or No decision, even if it turns into a 'But thou must!' scenario.

'Sorry Hero, Medea doesn't like you, hope you don't mind marrying Jessica instead! She's already dressed in her wedding gown, so it would be very awkward for you to refuse right now!'

I know a lot of people hate Trode, but I always quite liked him. At first I sort of love-hated him, but after some of his more touching scenes like the one where he protects Medea from Charmles, I grew to genuinely like him more and more. Seeing this ending really hurt my love for the guy. This is the absolute WORST thing he's ever done. You don't arrange a marriage for someone behind their back, especially not with a girl they had NO intention of marrying. What if Medea had accepted the proposal, like she probably would have if the game didn't ignore all the previous scenes between her and the Hero? That would have made the scene awkward as hell.

I'm going to get the Jessica ending at least once, so I can see if it's less infuriating in English, but god, does this ending piss me off. Maybe I'm just reading into it too much, I don't know.

Edited by ChrystalChameleon

See, now I have to be that guy who says "spoiler tags, guys." I don't like to be that guy, especially when I already knew the new ending, but while the original game is over 11 years old, we haven't had a chance to play it and let people that didn't know be "surprised."

Regardless, I like how, in regards to the English version, we're like, "Ugh, the Japanese version isn't as good as the original English one."

See, now I have to be that guy who says "spoiler tags, guys." I don't like to be that guy, especially when I already knew the new ending, but while the original game is over 11 years old, we haven't had a chance to play it and let people that didn't know be "surprised."

Regardless, I like how, in regards to the English version, we're like, "Ugh, the Japanese version isn't as good as the original English one."

Whoops, I'll spoiler tag my post then. Apologies.

No prob, bob. I'm usually not a stickler for spoilers but I'm sure people that didn't already try to look up the ending like you or I did would want to be surprised. It does come out of left field, after all.

No prob, bob. I'm usually not a stickler for spoilers but I'm sure people that didn't already try to look up the ending like you or I did would want to be surprised. It does come out of left field, after all.

Yeah, I understand. I'm a bit known to be kinda careless about spoilers elsewhere (mostly because I don't mind being spoiled at all), so sometimes I might make that kind of error.

Best cast in all the games, IMO. Individually, others might be better, but these guys work together to create the best party.

Is that the general consensus on the dubs in this community? I thought it was just me and my dislike of over-the-top anime voice acting :P Though I guess a lot of people are used to the English dub. Part of me not liking the Japanese dub may be due to the fact I'm so used to their English voices. 

Best cast in all the games, IMO. Individually, others might be better, but these guys work together to create the best party.

I have to agree with you. Their personalities work really well together, and it's probably part of why they're my favourite group of characters in the series. I know it's not Trode Appreciation Day yet, but he plays a pretty vital part in the group's chemistry as well, despite not being a playable character.

Maybe not this community in general, but whenever a dub v. sub conversation crops up online, the dub just can't stack up to the impeccable sub that is absolutely in your native language so you just know how good an actor/actress they are by listening to them...

I try my best not to get into those discussions because they go nowhere, no one's mind is changed, and they go on for pages on end of incessant arguing. 

Edited by eal

I am usually a sub kind of guy. But this is one of the few series I prefer with dub. Yes, maybe I am just to used to it by now. But I just really like the dub a lot in dragon quest. I am also a big fan of the accents. I just can not imagine playing these games in Japanese at this point.

That said, I wouldn't be against playing them in Japanese if square enix ever decided to just leave them subbed. I have been watching dragon ball super, which has been the first time I seriously watched something dragon ball related in Japanese. Definately isn't the worst thing in the world. But still prefer the dub.

It's hard not to like Yangus.  He's gruff but ultimately very caring and fiercely loyal.  I also love his voice acting.

I really liked Jessica's voice acting as well, but I'm not sure I got her characterization.  She was supposed to have a story about self-doubt, but I never really got that from her...

I never appreciated Angelo very much, mostly because he was so slow to gain perks and gain benefit from level-ups in general.  I also didn't like his voice so much.  I did like his back story which seemed to be the most fleshed out.  It really explains his attitude today.  Unlike most, I really disliked his final scene with Marcello.  I just found their final exchange...lacking. I feel like something more positive could have been made of it.  This isn't an after-school special, after all, so we don't need a teachable moment there.

In general, I liked the voice acting in DQ8.  I'm not a big fan of the written accents in DQ games, but the spoken accents seem much more acceptable.  Maybe it's for the same reason I'd rather hear cursing than read it.  Hearing these accents just sound like someone talking, but reading it forces *me* to do the accent in my head, and then I feel icky.

I don't really care for dqviii's main cast. NOT a whole lot of chemistry there, besides Yangus and the guv.

Yangus is the best of the bunch. Funny. His corpse blimey gag did wear thin, but he was likeable.

Jessica...eh. she's ok. Kind of $#!&@ey and not in the fun way Maribel is.

Angelo / Kukule. Eh. His voice is annoying and I don't care about telethia. His relationship with Marvell was cool tho

I didn't know Yangus said corpse blimey... :P

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit