Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest VIII Trailer (North America)

I'm one of those weirdos who likes to turn off voices entirely when I play, so the acting changes don't really bother me.Also yay, animation speed-up! How convenient.

Only games I've muted voice acting in was Fire Emblem Awakening and Persona 3 and 4 when exploring dungeons and fighting battles (with the latter to literally mute the TV and listen to something else, be it the in game music via YouTube or something else).

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Nah, his voice was funny. You gotta appreciate the cheesiness. It's gonna be a hoedown of a showdown.

It's not the cheesiness that bothered me. The guy was just really, really bad. He had these fun lines, but his delivery was done like an emotionless person attempting to feign emotion.

• Upvote 1

I thought the arena announcer was great, I want the cheesy, like WWF announcers.

Ladies and gentlemen!

The Monster Arena is proud to present a Rank S battle!

Let's give the team owners a big hand!
The first round is about to begin!

In the red corner, we have our hero's monster team: Ragtag Rascals!

In the blue corner, captained by Torneko Taloon...Live from Lakanaba...it's Taloon's Treasures!!!

It's a glorious contest of havoc and hostility!

LET'S GET IT ON!

• Upvote 1

Finally a release date! I can't wait to play this.

I can't believe I didn't realize Jessica's voice actress had changed until I saw this thread. Guess I've been playing too much DQ Heroes! I loved Jessica's voice in the PS2 version, but I think her voice actress in Heroes does a very solid job, so I don't mind the change that much. 

Finally a release date! I can't wait to play this.

I can't believe I didn't realize Jessica's voice actress had changed until I saw this thread. Guess I've been playing too much DQ Heroes! I loved Jessica's voice in the PS2 version, but I think her voice actress in Heroes does a very solid job, so I don't mind the change that much.

Yeah, I have just gotten so used to her old VA. I had some trouble adjusting to it in heroes. But in a main series game, I think I will eventually. She does do a very good job. It is just different.

The voice changes don't really bother me. I didn't get very far in VIII, so I'm not really attached to any of them. Didn't love Jessica's voice anyways, to be honest.

Is Angelo's voice actor different too? I can't tell.

Edited by gooieooie

Nah, his voice was funny. You gotta appreciate the cheesiness. It's gonna be a hoedown of a showdown.

It's not the cheesiness that bothered me. The guy was just really, really bad. He had these fun lines, but his delivery was done like an emotionless person attempting to feign emotion.

THANK YOU.

There's a reason I said I mute it instead of skipping it altogether.

Voice changes don't really bother me. I didn't get very far in VIII, so I'm not really attached to any of them. Didn't love Jessica's voice, to be honest.

It's the same voice actor.

And yet I still enjoy his delivery. I find it funny.

Voice changes don't really bother me. I didn't get very far in VIII, so I'm not really attached to any of them. Didn't love Jessica's voice, to be honest.

It's the same voice actor.

Cool! I liked him and Yangus' voice actors.

The delivery was grrreat.

I'm with Tiael and Yangus on this one.  I happen to like the Announcer.  Yes, he was off a bit, but I got the impression it was intentional, to emphasize certain parts of the announcement to add that extra thick saucy layer of cheese, on top of Morrie's spicy cheese.  Damn me, but DQ8 is a game obsessed with cheesing the player left and right, whether it's outright cheesy lines, cheese to eat, cheesily easy bosses you can smother all over a cracker with a plastic knife, or cheesily hard bosses you expected would be...meh, then bam, 120 critical and Yangus is out for the count.

He really does take me back to those WWE days, especially back when it was the WWF.

Edited by ignasia7

Can you argue all the other bad secondary or and minor characters with poor voice acting ability were also meant to sound cheesy too?

Can you argue all the other bad secondary or and minor characters with poor voice acting ability were also meant to sound cheesy too?

No, they're just bad.

I don't know, that bull headed guy in the Simpleton Bar scene is pretty funny too. Really draws out each word he says. Plus his emphasis on certain parts of the sentence...beautiful.

I don't know, that bull headed guy in the Simpleton Bar scene is pretty funny too. Really draws out each word he says. Plus his emphasis on certain parts of the sentence...beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scH0PB-tmUo

Yeah, I might just be a fanboy right now, maybe it is nostalgia. But I love that stuff as well.

I already commented on the trailer on Youtube and apparently Keith Wickham is back, and he will likely do his voice for the backstory that explains Dhoulmagus' time with Master Ryolus before becoming the most powerful human/monster servant in Rhapthorne's inner circle.(Through the Godbird Scepter) Unless of course, Jahagarosu has anything to say about it, assuming the English VA can do a solid job when the game comes out.

I'm with Tiael and Yangus on this one. I happen to like the Announcer. Yes, he was off a bit, but I got the impression it was intentional, to emphasize certain parts of the announcement to add that extra thick saucy layer of cheese, on top of Morrie's spicy cheese. Damn me, but DQ8 is a game obsessed with cheesing the player left and right, whether it's outright cheesy lines, cheese to eat, cheesily easy bosses you can smother all over a cracker with a plastic knife, or cheesily hard bosses you expected would be...meh, then bam, 120 critical and Yangus is out for the count.

He really does take me back to those WWE days, especially back when it was the WWF.

There's good cheese, and bad cheese. The scene Yangus linked? That's good cheese, because it's clearly done OTT on purpose.

The arena announcer? That's bad cheese, because he didn't go OTT enough. If he had some gusto to his delivery, it would've been perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scH0PB-tmUo

Yeah, I might just be a fanboy right now, maybe it is nostalgia. But I love that stuff as well.

I played DQ8 for the first time about a year ago, and I absolutely love the cheesy voice acting. I think the main cast is really good (Angelo, Yangus, Jessica and Trode are all pretty great), but some of the side characters are pretty bad, though in a very charming way.

I also remember Rolo being pretty bad at times. Check out 0:36 - 0:57 of this cutscene:

I guess you could argue Rolo is just feigning concern during this scene, what with him wanting to become the new Lord High Priest and all, but it's still pretty hilarious, intentionally bad or not.

Edited by ChrystalChameleon

I don't know, that bull headed guy in the Simpleton Bar scene is pretty funny too. Really draws out each word he says. Plus his emphasis on certain parts of the sentence...beautiful.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scH0PB-tmUo

I played DQ8 for the first time about a year ago, and I absolutely love the cheesy voice acting. I think the main cast is really good (Angelo, Yangus, Jessica and Trode are all pretty great), but some of the side characters are pretty bad, though in a very charming way.

I also remember Rolo being pretty bad at times. Check out 0:36 - 0:57 of this cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDaboqGDICI 

I guess you could argue Rolo is just feigning concern during this scene, what with him wanting to become the new Lord High Priest and all, but it's still pretty hilarious, intentionally bad or not.

Yeah, I won't deny there is plenty of unintentionally bad dialogue. But I have always thought it fit the tone of dragon quest, so it never sounds out of place to me, unlike a bad VA in a final fantasy game for example. Be it the thug guy's voice in the bar, the announcer or Rolo. I kind of enjoy all of them.

The ability to speed up battle animations is going to save lives.

Not monsters' lives.

Monsters lives matter.

Agreed. Didn't hear anything wrong.

Oh. What? I mean... there's voice acting in DQVIII?

Grand Wizard Rolo was as bad as you remember. He and the announcer are stand-outs in that regard.

And it's not the dialogue that's at fault. It's the acting. 2005 PlayStation 2 era voice acting was generally awful. You compare it to Heroes and it's leaps and bounds above how it used to be back then.

It's like defending James Sunderland's stilted acting.

One of my least favourite characters in terms of voice acting is definitely Marek. To me, he sounds so bad.

Grand Wizard Rolo was as bad as you remember. He and the announcer are stand-outs in that regard.

And it's not the dialogue that's at fault. It's the acting. 2005 PlayStation 2 era voice acting was generally awful. You compare it to Heroes and it's leaps and bounds above how it used to be back then.

It's like defending James Sunderland's stilted acting.

I love Silent Hill 2, but I could never defend James' mess of a performance.

Man that was the first time I ever saw the bar fight scene (which is one of my favorites in the game) voice acted... the thug isn't nearly angry enough.

We should retitle this topic to, "Voice Acting in games Discussion Thread....and a DQ 8 trailer." :P

To talk about the trailer, I'm surprised they didn't show off or bring up the new playable characters, maybe show off a little of their voice acting alongside the party. Perhaps we'll see a future trailer that specifically shows off Morrie and Red as "Meet the new recruits of Dragon Quest VIII!"

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit