Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest VIII Trailer (North America)

If the European trailer gets released, I'll post it here.

My thoughts based on the trailer.

- Never expected Jessica to get a new voice actress. I have to say the new voice actress did a pretty good job based on what I've heard.

- The synthesised MIDI version of "Overture" sounds pretty good (granted not as good as the orchestrated version).

- It seems like the voice acting in some scenes are ported from the PlayStation 2 version whilst the the voice acting in some other scenes are voiced over.

But all in all, I'm excited to get my copy of Dragon Quest VIII!

Edited by Dakhil
  • Upvote 2

MMMMMMMMMMMM it's good to hear Ricky Grover as Yangus again.

And they even threw in a COR BLIMEY! for the trailer.

Sounds like they redid the voices completely. Probabely for the best. I was going to take this game as a different experience from the ps2 version anyway. At least Yangus has his old VA back, all I really need.

GET HYPE

Hope they keep up a stream of videos like they did for VII.

Sweets.

Sounds like the same VA who voiced Jessica in DQ Heroes.

I like her, but I do wish they either were able to get the original VA back for DQH in the first place, or just reuse the PS2 dub.

I'll wait until I hear more though, but I'm optimistic.

Edited by Tiael

Sweets.

I like her, but I do wish they either were able to get the original VA back for DQH in the first place, or just reuse the PS2 dub.

Reusing the old dub would be problematic once the new content came up.

Sweets.

Yeah, I am willing to give her a chance. I think it'll grow on me by hearing this VA in a numbered title instead of a spin off.

Assuming they didn't just leave it unvoiced, considering they've been lazy in the past with DQ.

Aw man, this is amazing! Jessica's VA changed, but no matter. At least Yangus keeps his original voice. But then again, Yangus NOT played by Ricky Grover? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

The ability to speed up battle animations is going to save lives.

Shocked they decided to use voice overs for this game. That means they either replaced actors or brought them back to record new dialogue. The switch from the old Jessica voice to the new one literally feels like the Chie switch. I hope they replace the voice actors that played most of the minor characters as well. A lot of them sounded just dreadful. Hopefully they do a better job of making sure their voices don't trail off quietly or get buried under the music this time around.

I didn't dislike Jessica's old voice actress, but I wasn't too attached. I'm glad they brought her new voice actress in to re-record her dialogue. Not that I necessarily prefer her voice, but the quality of the old recordings was... a pity. They sounded very scratchy, and often times the high tones were overemphasized. It didn't sound like a bad performance, but bad hardware somewhere along the line (dunno if it was the mic or what).

Sweets.

Reusing the old dub would be problematic once the new content came up.

Pretty much.

What worries me though...will the original Mori play himself, and his girls?  I really loved those that particular group of VA actors.

Ugh. I actually really liked the voice of his harem, but Morrie was awful. His voice was grating and it's a slight nitpick but he would say the word "ragazzo" at the end of his sentences as if it was a verbal tic, but it's not supposed to be. "Ragazzo" is Italian for "boy." He was referring to him as "boy" at the end of his sentences, not saying some random Italian phrase after he finished speaking.

The ability to speed up battle animations is going to save lives.

Shocked they decided to use voice overs for this game. That means they either replaced actors or brought them back to record new dialogue. The switch from the old Jessica voice to the new one literally feels like the Chie switch. I hope they replace the voice actors that played most of the minor characters as well. A lot of them sounded just dreadful. Hopefully they do a better job of making sure their voices don't trail off quietly or get buried under the music this time around.

The Chie switch was far worse. I did grow to like Erin Fitzgerald, but she never can replace Tracey Rooney for me.

The new Jessica I have no problems with, though. Does a solid job, from what I hear.

Ugh. I actually really liked the voice of his harem, but Morrie was awful. His voice was grating and it's a slight nitpick but he would say the word "ragazzo" at the end of his sentences as if it was a verbal tic, but it's not supposed to be. "Ragazzo" is Italian for "boy." He was referring to him as "boy" at the end of his sentences, not saying some random Italian phrase after he finished speaking.

I'm aware of what ragazzo means.  It's not a negative connotation, it's a general term used by older men to refer to younger men they feel they are taking under their wing/looking after/or even using for errands.  That rather accurately describes Morrie's sentiment towards the Hero leading up to becoming his challenger.

I liked the flare and panache of the voice actor.  I actually tear up when I get to that point, as he's the only voice actor I enjoy most.  Mostly because I feel the actor really captures Morrie's personality, and really let loose with the character.  Kind of like Yangus'.

I'm not trying to imply it has some problematic aspect to it if that's what you're thinking. His sentences would just be structured like, say, "Good job! Ragazzo." instead of, "Good job, ragazzo!" The actor himself didn't seem to realize it was an identifier and assumed it was just Italian nonsense you're supposed to shout once you finish a sentence.

OG Chie sounded too old. I liked that aspect of her voice, but she literally sounded too old. Erin Fitzgerald works way better.

https://youtu.be/WAefGu7EIOk

The original Chie sounded mature, not too old. I took her more seriously.

Incidentally, Matthew Mercer did an excellent job taking over for Troy Baker. I didn't even realize there was a change until someone mentioned it to me.

Yeah, Matt Mercer actually took up a few roles Troy Baker left behind in anime. I think he's doing one of his voices in Naruto now or something.

That being said, I'm hoping I can go to RI Comic Con next week (didn't order a ticket, so I'll have to get it at the con) so that I can get Troy Baker to sign Kanji's tarot card.

Edited by eal

I'm not trying to imply it has some problematic aspect to it if that's what you're thinking. His sentences would just be structured like, say, "Good job! Ragazzo." instead of, "Good job, ragazzo!" The actor himself didn't seem to realize it was an identifier and assumed it was just Italian nonsense you're supposed to shout once you finish a sentence.

They probably had the pause between "Good job!" and "Ragazzo!" since Morrie has a unique nickname for each character depending on who is in the lead. Putting Yangus in the lead has Morrie call Yangus "Signore!"

Same with Jessica and Angelo, but I forget what Morrie calls them.

Either way, I said it was mostly just a nitpick. I still think his voice in general is annoying.

I just hope they replace the announcer in the Monster Arena. He sounded terrible, and I can't imagine anyone would disagree with that.

Edited by eal

I just hope they replace the announcer in the Monster Arena. He sounded terrible, and I can't imagine anyone would disagree with that.

Yeah, that guy was incredibly bad.

Nah, his voice was funny. You gotta appreciate the cheesiness. It's gonna be a hoedown of a showdown.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

I'm one of those weirdos who likes to turn off voices entirely when I play, so the acting changes don't really bother me.

Also yay, animation speed-up! How convenient.

I actually started muting the game whenever I went to the Monster Arena so I didn't have to hear him say, "Our hero's monster team" again.