Sign in to follow this  
momoslime

Yet Another Localization Opinions Thread

Which localization method do you prefer better?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm writing an essay for school about video game localization, and naturally I decided to focus mainly on Dragon Quest (though I'm probably going to have to mention Fire Emblem Fates at least once :P).  I've done a bit of research already, without much luck, and with my teacher's permission I'm headed over here to ask for some opinions!  Please answer the poll I added, and feel free to expand on your opinions in the thread!  And, while I'm at it, if anyone has some good DQ-specific articles/interviews on localization, I'd love to see them...

Edited by babbleking

The only Dragon Warrior style translation I played to completion was VII's, so that's what I'm going to be comparing as it's the only one I can do so fully with.

I far prefer the 3DS localization. The Playstation translation was one word: rushed. Granted, they had a lot of text to translate, but they could have at least bothered to proofread a bit.

Now there are some things I prefer about the PSX translation. Gabo and Aira's names in the 3DS version really aren't my cup of tea. I understand why Gabo had to change, since even though I find "Gabo" to be a cuter name it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in English. Aishe though is just really weird looking.

As far as spell/ability names go, my main annoyance about the PSX translation mostly boiled down to very awkward abbreviating. The names are fine overall, they just look really weird the way they're abbreviated. If they weren't abbreviated... I'd probably still give it to the newer localizations, mainly for names like "Increase" (Increase what?) or "Defense" (Just looking at that name would give an impression of raising my own defense, not lowering the enemy's), though I like the onomatopoeia more overall in addition.

Accents? I could have sworn those were native to the Japanese anyway, with different towns using different Japanese dialects. Overall, I think the use of varied ENGLISH accents is okay for that reason. I don't particularly like using other language accents (ie El Ciclo/Litorud in VII 3DS) mostly because it feels very awkward.

Also, I find the puns amusing. Sir Lysalot made me laugh pretty quickly. Though there were a few noticeable puns in the PSX translation that managed to carry over from the Japanese (ie "Loomin").

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Talk to Dwaine. I'm sure he can hook you up with some good, sourced info. At the very least he has an interview with Plus Alpha that should be of some use.

There should be a middle ground.

The spell names have grown on me for the most part. At the very least, I see where they are coming from.

Accents: if they are doing English accents is usually ok, but I $#!&ing hate it shyness they do non English accents. DQIV was pretty bad.

Puns: for stuff like monsters, I'm okay with it. When They force it is pretty bad. I hate forced name changes for sake of puns and cultural reference

Edited by Megalosaro
  • Upvote 1

It is how I got to know the series with 8. I am biased obviously, and outside of walkthroughs and let's plays, I have little to compare it to. But it is the stuff that I fell in love with. Love the accents, love the puns, love the spell names.

SE can just fizzle my kasizzle!

I hate those spell names. Some names i actually like (Oomph,Kabuff,Kaclang) but really changing spell names was blasphemy.

Im ok with accents.

• Upvote 1

You need a third option, TC. I like the spell and monster names, and some accents, but other accents grate on my nerves.

Old-timer, here.  I grew up with the DW style, so I prefer it.  I don't know if it's typical American over-sensitivity, but I find the accents down-right offensive.

• Upvote 1

Old-timer, here.  I grew up with the DW style, so I prefer it.  I don't know if it's typical American over-sensitivity, but I find the accents down-right offensive.

Idk. I have always felt like these things shouldn't be taken so seriously. Funny accents are enjoyable to me. Don't think they have done this yet, but i would love it if dragon quest had a village full of people speaking with over the top Dutch accents.

Old-timer, here. I grew up with the DW style, so I prefer it. I don't know if it's typical American over-sensitivity, but I find the accents down-right offensive.

They're not offensive to me, just annoying on occasion.

Well, do you mind if a friend of yours makes a racist joke, but is clearly not serious?

Well, do you mind if a friend of yours makes a racist joke, but is clearly not serious?

Absolutely I mind.  If it were a friend, I would probably tell them it wasn't cool.  If it was a stranger or just an acquaintance, I'd probably just ignore it.

I seem to recall an interview stating they check with native speakers of the dialects they use.

I'll try and find it.

Edit: Found it!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/October/Interview-Localising-DRAGON-QUEST-VII-Fragments-of-the-Forgotten-Past-1146184.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=dragonquestvii&utm_medium=social

Nintendo: Shloc’s British roots show through in some the localisation choices – particularly the island of Emberdale, which is influenced heavily by Yorkshire. What was the attraction of adding such colloquial touches?

OC: The British English usage and the inclusion of various accents and dialects has been a key feature of the series style since DQVIII, but with a world as big as DQVII’s, local characterisations also helped to provide variation in the huge number of regions you visit over the course of the game.

They also make the different regions feel different – not only (hopefully) to the player, but also to the writer. This can help add extra, albeit subtle, stylistic variations which help keep things fresh.

As such, they can be a very useful tool, but they do have to be used carefully – one risk is of overdoing it (especially in a text-only game) and alienating players as a result, but the other, bigger one is that the line between accuracy and insensitivity can sometimes be a tough one to tread. As such, we’re always very careful to write a style guide for each accent, and where possible to make sure we consult a genuine speaker of that language/dialect to make sure that things are staying within the bounds of acceptability.

The idea is never to poke fun at a given accent or dialect, but to enjoy what it can bring to our world, and how it can help us to tell the story in more ways than with just plain exposition. In the case of the people of Emberdale, the Yorkshire angle helped underline what was serious about their situation, but also gave us a way to add some lightness that was otherwise hard to bring to this oppressive, dark, volcanic region.

Edited by Glaceon Mage
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely I mind. If it were a friend, I would probably tell them it wasn't cool. If it was a stranger or just an acquaintance, I'd probably just ignore it.

Yeah, you might be a little oversensitive. My buddies and I crack jokes like that all the time. Never about anyone else, of course, but just between ourselves. Not once has any of us gotten offended.

I seem to recall an interview stating they check with native speakers of the dialects they use.I'll try and find it.Found it!http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/October/Interview-Localising-DRAGON-QUEST-VII-Fragments-of-the-Forgotten-Past-1146184.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=dragonquestvii&utm_medium=social

Nintendo: Shloc’s British roots show through in some the localisation choices – particularly the island of Emberdale, which is influenced heavily by Yorkshire. What was the attraction of adding such colloquial touches?OC: The British English usage and the inclusion of various accents and dialects has been a key feature of the series style since DQVIII, but with a world as big as DQVII’s, local characterisations also helped to provide variation in the huge number of regions you visit over the course of the game.They also make the different regions feel different – not only (hopefully) to the player, but also to the writer. This can help add extra, albeit subtle, stylistic variations which help keep things fresh.As such, they can be a very useful tool, but they do have to be used carefully – one risk is of overdoing it (especially in a text-only game) and alienating players as a result, but the other, bigger one is that the line between accuracy and insensitivity can sometimes be a tough one to tread. As such, we’re always very careful to write a style guide for each accent, and where possible to make sure we consult a genuine speaker of that language/dialect to make sure that things are staying within the bounds of acceptability.The idea is never to poke fun at a given accent or dialect, but to enjoy what it can bring to our world, and how it can help us to tell the story in more ways than with just plain exposition. In the case of the people of Emberdale, the Yorkshire angle helped underline what was serious about their situation, but also gave us a way to add some lightness that was otherwise hard to bring to this oppressive, dark, volcanic region.

Never read this. Very interesting. I have always been a fan of accents in general. I think they are fun. I personally think the locilization team is successful in what they are trying to achieve with it.