Square Enix apparently "committed," to bring DQ westward

I've seen this on a few different websites today, and was surprised no one has brought this up here yet. Apparently SE feels like Dragon Quest can succeed in the west, and are planning to become a lot more committed towards the series. Only time will tell if they will stay true to this commitment.

So what do you all think? Will they, or won't they?

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/23/square-enix-says-committed-bringing-dragon-quest-titles-west/

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 2

About a year ago, I would have said "I'm not sure".

But honestly? They've been doing a lot for the series as of late. Only time will tell, I suppose, but I actually feel confident that they will. :)

• Upvote 1

No one probably posted it because these statements pretty much just bleed together at this point and didn't realize this was a new one.

There should be a single topic in which we only talk about statements SE makes about Dragon Quest's future. Maybe compile a list of them for reference. See how many words match with each other.

• Upvote 2

I believe that they are, and have been taking this seriously since DQH.  I think there statement about DQ10 if we beg and write to them like we did for 7, is most telling that they're seriously reconsidering DQ.  I think they're handling and Nintendo's handling of Heroes, Builders, and 7 indicates a slow and gradual build-up, that they're not expecting immediate results, but instead have reasonable projections for sales, and are more than satisfied, but are only going to build things up bit by bit.  So we'll see the official DQ8 and DQH2 announcements soon.  Maybe next month for both, DQ8 first, then DQH2 on its heels a week later, maybe two.

I think the fact that the Facebook team is working diligently speaks volumes, that their main DQ website actually has a builders profile means they'll update it with SE official releases (wish they would go for 7 and 8, but it makes sense to let Nintendo's website handle that load given Nintendo is given production credit).

The fact that they're very willing to do interviews about DQ, and it's not just Horii this time with an Iwata asks, but publication interviews with producers and production team members says a huge change in dynamic.

That SE is also now willing to openly admit to the inner workings of their office, and how the fan letters changed their response, and the effect it's had on their outlook of DQ, even though they're still not totally sold it will do FF levels, but satisfied it has a very loyal base, speaks to this as well.

So yes, I do indeed agree.  I think we'll see the same approach as we have seen, which is essentially the same approach Enix of America had way back, when they were doing this the right way.  No bangs, just slow, methodical and steady growth.  Sure they could probably build up a base faster the other way, but the risk is too high, and if even one major failure occurs, the chance of them cancelling one spin off due to another spinoff of a completely different type is higher.  This way each game will have more manageable budgets, and more reasonable approaches to marketing that will net lower risk, but higher returns, and allow that persistent growth.  Who knows, maybe in the meantime something triggers.  Maybe DQ11's release is the spark that ignites the firestorm in the social sphere of gamers in the US?  I don't know, but I'm 100% sure we'll get that game (though I still say we should act like we won't, just pretend like it's DQ7).

• Upvote 1

Blah. Blah. Blah.

And if we buy ___________ in sufficient numbers, maybe they'll consider localizing ___________.

Hard to get excited about non-specific statements. I'm just happy we're getting 4 games in under 2 years here with DQHTWTWATBB, DQB, 7, & 8.

• Upvote 2

I think it at least somewhat confirms they have something planned for dragon quest 11. And honestly, that is the only game in the series that we haven't gotten, that I really don't want to miss. I'll buy every dragon quest game they bring over, I'll play them for hours, I'll love them. But DQ11 is the one I would be kind of devastated about if we don't get it.

But that aside, we have seen statements like this before. If they follow up on it, that would be great. If not, no surprise.

I'll believe them when Terry's Wonderland happens (again, technically).

Screw that, I want Iruruka

• Upvote 2

Perhaps they're answering the fan out-cries, they're seeing decent sales numbers, or maybe Westy's one-slime protest got to them: :tounge2:

https://twitter.com/WestyBlueSlime/status/779355192751972352

Talking to Square Enix staff, after working with them at PAX and NYCC doing the Builders promos, made it clear that they DO care, but it DOES have to sell. So make sure you're telling all your friends to buy the new releases, buy them yourselves, and buy them for friends. :P Promote, promote, promote.

• Upvote 3

About a year ago, I would have said "I'm not sure".

But honestly? They've been doing a lot for the series as of late. Only time will tell, I suppose, but I actually feel confident that they will. :)

I'm not confident in Square Enix in what they say because everyone else localizes them for Square Enix at this point.

I think it at least somewhat confirms they have something planned for dragon quest 11. And honestly, that is the only game in the series that we haven't gotten, that I really don't want to miss. I'll buy every dragon quest game they bring over, I'll play them for hours, I'll love them. But DQ11 is the one I would be kind of devastated about if we don't get it.

But that aside, we have seen statements like this before. If they follow up on it, that would be great. If not, no surprise.

You forgot X. 

Talking to Square Enix staff, after working with them at PAX and NYCC doing the Builders promos, made it clear that they DO care, but it DOES have to sell. So make sure you're telling all your friends to buy the new releases, buy them yourselves, and buy them for friends. :P Promote, promote, promote.

Damn straight.  Play it off like each game is the last.  The more they see consistency in sales, the more exuberant they'll be, and the more likely to promote with gusto they'll have.  The funny thing about the world is, regardless of stats, it's also about belief, and that requires stats to support that belief.

You forgot X.

I really want 10 as well, I am supporting the campaign. But 11 is just that one game for me. I would definately prefer it if we got it. But if we don't get 10, I wouldn't be to upset about it. That said, I do hope the campaign succeeds. This is one of the few mmo's I would like to play.

• Upvote 4

You forgot X.

I really want 10 as well, I am supporting the campaign. But 11 is just that one game for me. I would definately prefer it if we got it. But if we don't get 10, I wouldn't be to upset about it. That said, I do hope the campaign succeeds. This is one of the few mmo's I would like to play.

Yea I get ya.  With the Unreal 4 Engine on the PS4 version and Switch, their is a tremendous amount of potential that can go into XI because of it.  So I am looking forward to it as well. 

Ill pretty much get it on the Switch, unless the PS4 version gets enhancements from the PS4 Pro. 

Edited by Alexandrious

You forgot X.

Yea I get ya.  With the Unreal 4 Engine on the PS4 version and Switch, their is a tremendous amount of potential that can go into XI because of it.  So I am looking forward to it as well. 

Ill pretty much get it on the Switch, unless the PS4 version gets enhancements from the PS4 Pro.

If the switch version is not a downgraded version visually, I will definately get that version first. But I'll probabely just get every version they make available for us eventually. Dragon quest 11 is a very big deal to me :P.

• 2 weeks later...

You forgot X.

I'm in the same boat. I would love to play X at some point, but I'm content if we don't get it. I'm not holding my breath. I know it's a huge risk to bring that particular game over since MMOs often don't succeed (at least not for very long). It would be a miracle if it does and I would gladly support it. At this point I would love to see a confirmation of XI's localization first.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to weigh my two cents...

DQ has been doing well enough on both mobile through re-releases and the newer titles (( Heroes, Builders )) that SE sees the series as worthwhile. This goes with the fact that the fanbase has been vocal in recent years, more than vocal.

We're going to see future titles thanks to it. We got the 7 remake. We're getting 8, and more. There's titles we won't see such as X, but XI is a lock. 

Yay.

• Upvote 1

I feel that SE would be honoring this commitment if they decide to bring the 3DS version of DQXI to the west (along with the PS4 and Switch versions as well).

2912258-6620552881-29122.gif

That dual screen footage is so freaking disorienting!