Sign in to follow this  
Imutone

Favorite Aspects of DQX?

Hey guys! I know a good chunk of you guys here at the Den have played Dragon Quest X so I wanna hear from you about the following:

What aspects of DQX make it favorable MMORPG? I'm trying to convince FFXI fans and FFXIV fans to check out DQX. We need all the support we can get if we want a western release. 

So far MoonRider has kindly provided the following:  

• Horizontal progression game.
  • Classes have tons and tons of min-maxing (+/-) for any fight, event, and situation you can think of.
  • Unlimited combination of overarching skill builds (until you max every class that is).
  • Encouraged to max out each class.
  • Can do all of that in a timely fashion without spending 12 hours a day. 
  •  

I'm doing this to help promote the western campaign and set up a basic argument for fence riders on why they should buy/play DQX. The promotional art I am doing is on hold until my motivation returns. I know that sounds pathetic but I can't draw anything well without motivation. 

Edited by Imutone
  • Upvote 1

I just started playing the Japanese version of the game last week after, ironically enough, the campaign for its English release made me want to play the game. So, here are a few things I'm liking!

First, I'm noticing is the story is great. I can't read Japanese, but using Google Translate, seeing the visuals, plus the descriptions given from the guide I'm using, the story is very cool. One town sees the master of the popular circus kidnap all of the town's children. Another sees the area's king go vicious and hostile, throwing innocents like yourself in jail (though the guards let you out shortly). Each area, and its characters, seem really interesting and unique, and it leaves you wondering what sort of adventure you'll land in next.

Another thing is that it really caters to fans of both JRPGs and MMOs. Everything is doable just fine alone, and you'll never need to team up with other players should you choose not to, but if you want that, there are many ways to do so, with teams, friends, and party options available.

Last thing is that the places you go are always interesting and pretty, which is pretty fun! 

Of course, the reason I'm playing the Japanese version is because I wanted to play Dragon Quest X, so I REALLY hope the campaign sees success and the game gets localized. If DQX is ever released in English, I'll stop playing the Japanese version right away to play the English version. Fingers crossed! :D

Edited by gooieooie
  • Upvote 1

I just started playing the Japanese version of the game last week after, ironically enough, the campaign for its English release made me want to play the game. So, here are a few things I'm liking!

First, I'm noticing is the story is great. I can't read Japanese, but using Google Translate, seeing the visuals, plus the descriptions given from the guide I'm using, the story is very cool. One town sees the master of the popular circus kidnap all of the town's children. Another sees the area's king go vicious and hostile, throwing innocents like yourself in jail (though the guards let you out shortly). Each area, and its characters, seem really interesting and unique, and it leaves you wondering what sort of adventure you'll land in next.

Another thing is that it really caters to fans of both JRPGs and MMOs. Everything is doable just fine alone, and you'll never need to team up with other players should you choose not to, but if you want that, there are many ways to do so, with teams, friends, and party options available.

Last thing is that the places you go are always interesting and pretty, which is pretty fun! 

Of course, the reason I'm playing the Japanese version is because I wanted to play Dragon Quest X, so I REALLY hope the campaign sees success and the game gets localized. If DQX is ever released in English, I'll stop playing the Japanese version right away to play the English version. Fingers crossed! :D

Thank you much! I totally forgot about the AI option. 

Made the Tumblr post! 

Let's hope this get's some non-DQ fans interested! But still feel free to add on to this thread! I want every good aspect of Dragon Quest X highlighted! 

Hey guys! I know a good chunk of you guys here at the Den have played Dragon Quest X so I wanna hear from you about the following:

What aspects of DQX make it favorable MMORPG? I'm trying to convince FFXI fans and FFXIV fans to check out DQX. We need all the support we can get if we want a western release. 

So far MoonRider has kindly provided the following:  

• Horizontal progression game.
  • Classes have tons and tons of min-maxing (+/-) for any fight, event, and situation you can think of.
  • Unlimited combination of overarching skill builds (until you max every class that is).
  • Encouraged to max out each class.
  • Can do all of that in a timely fashion without spending 12 hours a day. 
  •  

I'm doing this to help promote the western campaign and set up a basic argument for fence riders on why they should buy/play DQX. The promotional art I am doing is on hold until my motivation returns. I know that sounds pathetic but I can't draw anything well without motivation. 

Its nostalgic, to how mmos were in the past before WoW ruined the genre.  

Tremendous amounts to do.

Lots of places to explore, even places that serves no purpose to anything quest related but simply there for exploration and to find a rare enemy, or a black chest, or certain materials. 

Many classes with tremendous amounts of growth. 

Horizontal progression yes. 

The A.I Party members, Yoshida just recently transported the idea to FFXIV, the DPS classes seems to love it, alot less long que waiting time for them. 

The simplistic Toriyama art style, I just like it for some reason. 

• Upvote 1

I like that your character actually has a background story and a sibling, and how it all ends up tying into the story as a whole in Version 2. Nothing like that in FFXI or FFXIV, the characters have no life at all aside from being the "chosen one" or whatever.

I like how classes don't necessarily need to be balanced against a raid, so you can have fun things like the Fortune Teller (You can go play Astro in FFXIV and see how boring it is in comparison because they had to tune it for raiding)

There's more but I need to go take my puppy for a walk so maybe I'll update this later

• Upvote 1

What I Like: The details of the world are fantastic, particularly the towns and environments. The story seems good so far too. There is a lot to do as well and it's hard to feel bored unless...

What I Don't Like: travelling between towns. The world is a little too large, and the running speed is slow as hell, or at least feels like it. Takes forever to get anywhere. Running between two towns sucks.

What I Like: The details of the world are fantastic, particularly the towns and environments. The story seems good so far too. There is a lot to do as well and it's hard to feel bored unless...

What I Don't Like: travelling between towns. The world is a little too large, and the running speed is slow as hell, or at least feels like it. Takes forever to get anywhere. Running between two towns sucks.

Heh yea, it can be large, but thats another thing I love, how big the world is.  Really feels like a Journey when you go between towns, hamlets, rest stops, etc. 

The long distance between towns is a hit or miss. It depends on the person. So I'd consider it a potential plus; best for pulling up if you trying to convince an individual person. I mean, people either loved or hated sailing in Wind Waker. 

That is definitely one thing I'm not liking. Travel times are sometimes fine, but... from the starting Puklipo village to the first dungeon of the initial Puklipo scenario, it took a full 8 minutes, and that's not including the time spent inside the dungeon itself.

That is definitely one thing I'm not liking. Travel times are sometimes fine, but... from the starting Puklipo village to the first dungeon of the initial Puklipo scenario, it took a full 8 minutes, and that's not including the time spent inside the dungeon itself.

Heh yea, I guess its dependent on tastes.  I remember in the old MMO days, and Im still fond of it, how it would take anywhere from 5 mins up to an hour, to reach a targeted destination or spot either to exp grind or advance a particular quest, and the preparation needed to be done to do so.  

Im so glad DQX has this.  

Heh yea, I guess its dependent on tastes.  I remember in the old MMO days, and Im still fond of it, how it would take anywhere from 5 mins up to an hour, to reach a targeted destination or spot either to exp grind or advance a particular quest, and the preparation needed to be done to do so.  

Im so glad DQX has this.  

Alexandrious do you mind telling me some of the names of those older MMOs? I could try to convince them to join the campaign via Tumblr. You might want to also find communities on the web that still love said MMOs. But I'm certain you have already done something like that. 

Im so glad DQX has this.  

Alexandrious do you mind telling me some of the names of those older MMOs? I could try to convince them to join the campaign via Tumblr. You might want to also find communities on the web that still love said MMOs. But I'm certain you have already done something like that. 

Its ones you may already know, Everquest, FFXI are two of the big ones, then you have smaller games like Asherons Call, even WoW during vanilla had some travel time if you didnt have the flight path, and it catered to more of the hardcore mindset during its vanilla. Ragnarok Online also had travel time between places if you couldnt kafra warp, but I believe the warp always existed, cant remember well from its beta.  

And I have searched around, you will need to find communities that are waiting on, or playing particular niche mmos, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, which failed due to company ineptness, was one such hardcore mmo with long travel times, then theirs Pantheon which is being created by some of the original Everquest staff which is following traditional MMO ruleset and from the looks of it, its practically the same as Everquest, you can hit those communities up as well if you can find them, I will try to myself when I get time.  You will find old mmo guys like me scattered and all over the place, but best place to start, is communities revolving around the mmo Pantheon. 

More on Vanguard though, it was basically created by the same guy whos making Pantheon now, but again, due to ineptness, and budget, and using a graphics engine that was not meant to handle what they envisioned, it eventually got sold off to SoE, and then after some updates, it got its plug pulled.  It had massive potential, and alot of the old mmo crowd who wanted a MMO similar to how Everquest was, were disappointed badly. 

To everyone though, make pictures, make things in Dragon Quest Builders even to show we want this game in the west, post everywhere you can on this campaign, do all you can.  When I get a chance myself I will try to find more places to spread the word.  

Edited by Alexandrious

The A.I Party members, Yoshida just recently transported the idea to FFXIV, the DPS classes seems to love it, alot less long que waiting time for them. 

He has? I don't remember such things being in FFXIV. And the DPS still have incredibly long queue times for dungeons even now...

But ahem, anyway....

Things that make DQX favorable as mmo.... not sure about that, but I'll just post what I like and don't about it.

First, I liked the character customization. No, I don't really mean the visual customization, but more on the part where you can uh, put in skill points. Most MMOs would usually have linear straight-forward progression, level up to level x then you'd gain new skills and stuff.

In DQX, you level up, you gain skill points, which you can put into skills, defining your own "build". And since there are skill passives that carry over even after switching classes, it makes everyone pretty unique, to a point of course, since people would often go max everything or go the perfect build for a "class" but you can be different.

Anyway, in other games if people of the same class were to come together, they'd be exactly the same, mostly difference would be from gears or stuff, but even then it's not exactly well, different. For an example, in DQX, 2 mage can exist in the party but being different, 1 can say use a dagger and focus on melee skills while other is the usual staff wielding mage.

Another would be..... the party AI. Yep, it's nice. Don't have reliable friends to play with you? Just grab an AI partner! And since those AI are from player's characters, they are all.... unique? In a way they'd have different gears, skill builds and stuff. It even surprised me the first time I played and my AI partner at level 48 is waaaay stronger than me who's at level 56 because I haven't trained my other classes yet.

Although, while yes, you can do most stuff with AI partners, for some harder fights it's almost impossible to do with AI, you'd want players instead. Since AI can't really strategize, they won't know when to use a skill, and there are some skills that AI won't use too, which you might need in some situation. And AI being AI.... they can do the strangest things at the strange time. But mostly they are enough to get through contents. Just hire a good one for the situation to suit your needs.

Then the social.... part. I don't mean the community. But how the game handles the multiplayer part. Although I'm comparing it to FF14 here.... in 14, stories and dungeons are instanced. You won't meet other players for solo duty, or other players other than your party from randoms or the one you made before entering the dungeon.

Here, you can actually meet other players in story dungeons, or dungeons. Random as in not in your party. No need to worry about them stealing your mob or treasures though, because those are separate between each player. Say your party died in the dungeon. In 14, you'd just respawn(unless one of your party member quits the instance because of the wipe in which case you'd have to wait for replacements but anyway), in dqx, if you die, you can ask another player to revive you in the dungeon. If you see other that happens to pass by that is. If they can't revive you they can pray for you to extend your timer before you automatically respawn. Why do that? Because you lose about half your gold you're carrying if you die in dqx. Other games usually would just give you exp penalty, or none at all. Though of course you can just respawn here too if you don't care about the lost gold.

But I find it to be more interesting to be able to meet other players and help each other in a dungeon. Accidental wipe but you don't have a revival item? Ask for a revive from a passerby, if one happens to pass by of course.... Happened to me too, struggled in one of the last dungeons in DQX, got revived by another player, then ends up joining together in the same party to finish the dungeon. Happened in reverse too. This can't happen in an instanced dungeon.

But well these stuff won't really matter once you have too much yggdrasil leaf to revive yourself after a wipe happened to your party anyway, but still nice.

For the things I don't like.... well, maybe the map and quests. Map's pretty nice, it's big, I kinda prefer larger maps than small ones in MMO, gives that adventure-ish feel to it, but....

When quests have you walking back and forth through locations so far and so many times, it can get annoying. And some maps while can look nice and interesting, most of them don't really have interesting stuff in them anyway, and there really isn't much to explore. Sure, I get it, the map's kinda big, and exploring the map can be fun in itself, but nothing's really interact-able. Some games have large maps and can have puzles hidden through the map that you find as you explore without needing a quest to tell you there's a puzzle there, or have mini-dungeons, or some mini-bosses that would spawn if you do something at the map, but it's not here. It's just a big map with mobs littered around the area. You're just passing through. While you can indeed teleport to saved locations, the amount of place you can save at a time is limited, and you can't really just save everywhere.

For the quests.... some of them can be interesting, but plenty of them are really just have you going to locations so far only to kill maybe 5 mobs, go back to the npc, go somewhere else, talk to npc, then finally turning it in. Now, I know, this is an mmo, mmos does have plenty of stuff like that, even some single player games have that too. But when it happens so many times, especially when it have you going through a map that is not only pretty big, but have paths that has you making lots of turns and go all the way around to reach, and doing those so many times, it can get annoying. Some of the story on quests are nice and all... but having people doing the same stuff over and over again and making them walk so far won't be enough to make up for it.

The post's getting way too long so I'll stop here.

• Upvote 1

Its brand new, it just came out for XIV in the last version update.

I think you're confused. FFXIV got squadrons with the last update, which are basically just teams of NPCs you can send out on missions. You never actually interact with them outside of the menu though. It's basically like a WoW garrison type thing.

So the interview for those squadrons was poorly translated?  Well that sucks, just more fluff, welp I quit the game for a reason.  Sucks, DPS woulda benefitted greatly from such a system.  Ah well, more players to perma quit if the next expansion still keeps doing most of the same thing.

Damn, but yea, its easy to see why such a thing was poorly translated or misunderstood in the dev interview for it, DPS really really REALLY woulda loved a feature to level and equip 3 A.I Party members they can take in.  Woulda been nice, so many DPS who would go on a tank or a healer, and not know how to play period, or just really suck at it, because they don't wanna wait 10-50 mins per que.

Well, just another thing DQX has over XIV then.

Edited by Alexandrious

So the interview for those squadrons was poorly translated?  Well that sucks, just more fluff, welp I quit the game for a reason.  Sucks, DPS woulda benefitted greatly from such a system.  Ah well, more players to perma quit if the next expansion still keeps doing most of the same thing.

Damn, but yea, its easy to see why such a thing was poorly translated or misunderstood in the dev interview for it, DPS really really REALLY woulda loved a feature to level and equip 3 A.I Party members they can take in.  Woulda been nice, so many DPS who would go on a tank or a healer, and not know how to play period, or just really suck at it, because they don't wanna wait 10-50 mins per que.

Well, just another thing DQX has over XIV then.

It would be nice.. but given how bad the DQX AI is at moving out of the way of things, even with all the improvements they've made, I can only imagine how useless it would be in FFXIV dungeons where moving out of the way of things is basically 99% of the fights. 

Eh true, but it wouldn't be hard for them to program, I seen plenty of Bot programs in FFXIV that has your character actually detect damage circles about .3 seconds before it even shows up and literally gets out of the way of em, even as a melee.  So it can be done.

Eh true, but it wouldn't be hard for them to program, I seen plenty of Bot programs in FFXIV that has your character actually detect damage circles about .3 seconds before it even shows up and literally gets out of the way of em, even as a melee.  So it can be done.

Is there a reason that DQX AI doesn't utilize this? It seems like they get hit by everything.

Is there a reason that DQX AI doesn't utilize this? It seems like they get hit by everything.

Its uncertain, from what I seen, bosses and mobs dont give out telegraphs indicating damage zones, and its likely the bot programs utilize those telegraphs to determine when and how far to move, as well as the rotation of when the enemy will use said skill.  Its likely SE didnt want A.I to be too good otherwise most players will just use A.I for most everything, instead of grouping up with others. 

Travel time is not nearly as bad as it seems, to be honest.

Quite early into the game, you can get an item called a Dolboard, which is basically like a segway for our character that lets you move quite a bit faster.  It requires fuel, but it's only like 500 gold per half hour, so it's insignificant.

There's also Ruler Stones that you can register at certain spots (usually at churches) that then act like a Zoom spell specifically to that location.  These are free to use, and can be overwritten as many times as you want (unless they are special ones, which are pre-written to a specific location and can't be overwritten).

There's also the train, which can take you to the 5 different 'train towns' and adds the 'castle towns' when you get their respective Key Emblems, carriages that'll take you to various places on the continent you're on (as long as you've been there before), and some NPCs that can take you to any place you've been before that a Ruler Stone can be set (though this has a twice-a-day use limit).

The Version 2 and 3 maps also have their own unique fast travel methods, but I won't mention them to avoid spoilers.

• Upvote 1

Well actually, it is incredible hard to program AI, especially to be more effiecent then the current gen of bots. They should know, DQX has the best party AI in the business.

That said, no Squadron members will not be able to be used in party until next year.

FFXIV 4.0 trailer and content reveal at fanfest was MASSIVE to say the least, and it's just the outline; there are two more Fan Fests before the expansion release, where even more details will be given of DIFFERENT and NEW content on top of what we just had announced.

Thank you Harftfield and MKVarana, sincerely, for the only relevant information being thrown around currently.

Edited by MoonRider

Well actually, it is incredible hard to program AI, especially to be more effiecent then the current gen of bots. They should know, DQX has the best party AI in the business.

That said, no Squadron members will not be able to be used in party until next year.

FFXIV 4.0 trailer and content reveal at fanfest was MASSIVE to say the least, and it's just the outline; there are two more Fan Fests before the expansion release, where even more details will be given of DIFFERENT and NEW content on top of what we just had announced.

Thank you Harftfield and MKVarana, sincerely, for the only relevant information being thrown around currently.

Yea DQX does.  Well, save for ones you can completely program yourself, like XIIs Gambit system, and a couple others, but those are more simplified honestly. 

Well I hope 4.0 turns out good, but if it follows the same tradition of endgame content like 2.0 and 3.0 did I likely wont touch it.  Sides, soon as I see a DQX localization announcement im dropping whatever it is im doing to finish as many single player games I got as possible, wont have time for anything but the absolute best games when I have DQX. 

Wait.....yea its hard but, professional payed for developers can build a A.I far better than what a Bot can accomplish if they wanted to. Alot of bots are usually made by 1-3 people, most often borrowing previous generation bots and scripts.  

Edited by Alexandrious

I'm also dropping whatever I'm doing if DQX gets localized; including FFXIV for at least like 2 patches. The story alone is JRPG nirvana lol.

I can't wait to be able to read all the pyramid text too, it's in my top 5 for endgame events.

EDIT: No dude I mean it's genuinely hard, like think about any of the 50+ HM' dungeons sync'd or 50-60 dungeons with AI's - making them smart enough to not die, with little support, but slow enough so that you cannot out farm a party in efficiency.

Plus the way they coded pets is different than companions; they cannot code squadrons like pets, and to code them as companions but still bring them into a dungeon with you requires a minor engine overhaul. It's not bad practice or lazy; bots are pretty bad in comparison to real player speeds; they also don't work for new dungeons or even the last batch most of the time. I'd say about 1/4 as good as if you were with others, only advantage being it's automatic. Worth being banned? Hell no lol.

But yeah they can, and are. Yoshi's team is BIS.

Edited by MoonRider