Sign in to follow this  
Sword_of_Dusk

Apparent DQVII sales numbers

To be clear for anyone curious, FFIX is not my trigger word.

This response was entirely unnecessary, only a fool would be triggered like that over Final Fantasy IX. Final Fantasy XII on the other hand? One of the worst in the series and marks the departure from turn based combat and the introduction of the self playing "game".

As someone who has played nearly every Final Fantasy game, I think one of the biggest problems with the series is the way SQEX always seems to focus on innovating Final Fantasy. I'm not saying this is neccesarily a bad thing - innovation is often a good thing, of course. If you add nothing fresh and creative to your games, things will get stale and people will get bored... but from the PS2 era onwards, it's like they're trying to reinvent the wheel with every game, throwing out ideas that worked and replacing them with worse mechanics just because they're different.

Back when I bought FFXII, I also purchased DQ8 along with it (I knew nothing about Dragon Quest at this point, I just recognized Yangus from the box art because I owned a figure of him... don't ask why I owned a figure of a character I didn't know). I was a huge FF fan at this point, yet I ended up putting the game aside after only a couple of hours to play DQ8, which, despite its simplistic gameplay in comparison to FF12, was a far more engaging game. I just didn't think the gambit system was particulary fun, as it took away the control you had over your party in the previous FF games.

Now, I don't hate FFXII. I actually beat the game, which I can't say about FFXIII and any of its sequels (I'm not even sure why I own all of them - I can't even bother to finish the first one). But what exactly was the point in completely destroying the turn-based combat from the previous games? FFX, for all of its flaws, really perfected the combat. It had a battle system that was easy to learn and fast-paced, yet allowed the player to fully control their party. What possible reason could they have had to completely throw this away for the sake of a battle system that basically plays itself? If this was just a one time experiment, like FF2's weird levelling system, fine, I can respect that, it's good to try some new stuff even if it doesn't work. But SQEX seems dead set on continuing this new battle system, which only became worse in FFXIII.

Some people say Dragon Quest is too obsessed with tradition, and I can see why, but I'm also really glad the series doesn't try to completely reinvent itself with every game. As a result, Dragon Quest is much more consistent in quality in comparison to Final Fantasy - there are some lesser DQ games, but there's not a single one I'd call bad, while FF has a couple of games I really don't like. I'm also really glad it's still turn-based, despite SQEX believing turn-based combat is a thing of the past. 

TL;DR: SQEX please stop trying to reinvent Final Fantasy with every game

• Upvote 1

The power of platty's hatred.

He seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I see nothing but venom in his eyes.

I'm not even going to bother rehashing logic when emotional blinders are on.  Not worth the effort.  It's hilarious how some minds become more limited in their viewpoint and scope when more options are on the table, as they prefer being forced into very confined spaces with very strict rules they must adhere to.  It's not a measure of intelligence either, I believe it's a measure of imagination, and fear of poor choices given the plethora of available options.

Not a bad post Chameleon.  I might respond to it if I have time, as I profoundly disagree and agree at the same time.

• Upvote 1

Just for the record, the person that gave those numbers was a respected GAF member and in some way works with the NPD group via a 3rd party, etc. She doesn't provide HW numbers anymore, due to other circumstances, but she'll provide physical sales numbers for some games if you ask her. Based on that fact, It seems that DQVII sold poorly physically here, but who knows digitally. SE or Nintendo will never release a statement of how well or poor the game did saleswise, but I think we can voice our concern to SE and Nintendo on why the game doesn't catch on out West, etc. I have faith DQVIII will do better saleswise, but DQXI or DQXII will depend on maybe bringing it over digital only.

nolbertos, three things that have been mentioned by only a handful of people, that seems to escape the minds of most posters.  Hopefully you'll feel better after this:

1) Copies are sold out in physical.

2) NPD numbers are physical only, and are September only.  Most retailers stop taking pre-orders for physical copies about 2 weeks prior, sometimes up to 1 week, but only for MAJOR releases.  So they should not reflect on any, or just a bare handful of a few days of pre-orders, if any at all.  Essentially we're seeing Nintendo's full initial print run of PHYSICAL copies after pre-orders, maybe a handful more beyond that, maybe upwards of 2,000 in certain stores that have seen poor sales/mom and pop shops.

3) SE's statement about begging for DQ11 came out sometime around late June or July, in relation to DQ7, meaning pre-order counts had done well by that pointSE's statement about begging for DQ10 came out sometime just after the official release, before they would have had ANY data on official release copies sold.  Meaning it went off purely all pre-orders, meaning between the statement about DQ11 and DQ10, enough copies sold in pre-order (again, not a one or virtually none should be reflected in those number), of BOTH physical and digital, for them to feel comfortable with teasing us a potential DQ10 release.

Now, #3 is by far the most significant.  It means the game sold not only well, but fabulously well.  Companies make money.  SE is not going to tell us how they can't bring us DQX due to financial incentive, then give us a statement saying if we pull the same feat as we did with DQ7, we'll have a potential real chance for DQ10.  This is based on risk assessment, and financial windfall for DQ7 pre-orders only.  This means the game sold WELL beyond expectations.  What those expectations are, we don't know.  So we have no way to gauge this.  We only know they put out a very direct, and semi-cryptic message, that is a CORPORATE message to gamers indicating based on DQ7, they see potential profit on the horizon with DQ10.

Just bear that in mind, and stop worrying, and start going at it with DQ10 promotion, tweeting, etc.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

I'm not even going to bother rehashing logic when emotional blinders are on.  Not worth the effort.  It's hilarious how some minds become more limited in their viewpoint and scope when more options are on the table, as they prefer being forced into very confined spaces with very strict rules they must adhere to.  It's not a measure of intelligence either, I believe it's a measure of imagination, and fear of poor choices given the plethora of available options.

Not a bad post Chameleon.  I might respond to it if I have time, as I profoundly disagree and agree at the same time.

My dislike of the combat system in Final Fantasy XII goes beyond the gambit system itself.  I just didn't think this was the place to go in depth into my problems with it.

I only ever started playing two FF games, one I enjoyed from the get go (III) and the other (VI) just wasn't my cup of tea.

Make more FF games with battle systems like III, please, SE.

I'm not even going to bother rehashing logic when emotional blinders are on. Not worth the effort. It's hilarious how some minds become more limited in their viewpoint and scope when more options are on the table, as they prefer being forced into very confined spaces with very strict rules they must adhere to. It's not a measure of intelligence either, I believe it's a measure of imagination, and fear of poor choices given the plethora of available options.

Not a bad post Chameleon. I might respond to it if I have time, as I profoundly disagree and agree at the same time.

My dislike of the combat system in Final Fantasy XII goes beyond the gambit system itself. I just didn't think this was the place to go in depth into my problems with it.

I say go for it. Not like I'm really gonna care about a topic hijack, and we can always go back on topic with ease.

Honestly I'm pretty sure we all know by now that this particular community is really, really bad at remaining on topic.

(Not gonna lie it threw me off when I first started actively participating haha).

Now, I don't hate FFXII. I actually beat the game, which I can't say about FFXIII and any of its sequels (I'm not even sure why I own all of them - I can't even bother to finish the first one). But what exactly was the point in completely destroying the turn-based combat from the previous games? FFX, for all of its flaws, really perfected the combat. It had a battle system that was easy to learn and fast-paced, yet allowed the player to fully control their party. What possible reason could they have had to completely throw this away for the sake of a battle system that basically plays itself?

I love this guy!

• Upvote 1

We're the off topic capital of the Internet. If you don't like it...

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

How 'bout that Donald Trump, guys?

Are you trying to stop me from possibly defending my enjoyment of FFXII?

Are you saying we should grab Square Enix by the...

Never mind. Sounds fun though.

• Upvote 1

Still wondering why he's still got support and hasn't been replaced by using that "otherwise" clause. Edited by Glaceon Mage
  • Upvote 1

For good support, he's probably just found a decent bra that fits him well.

For good support, he's probably just found a decent bra that fits him well.

He got himself a manzier, or a bro depending on your preference.

Let's wait a little more. I am hearing a lot about this game, and the reviews are been really nice and a lot of people are talking about it.

It is one of main turn-based RPGs of the 3DS, I really think that this alone will push its sales up.

Also, remakes tend to sell less than original games, so we should compare it with DQ IV, V and VI DS remakes, not DQ VIII/IX.

Let's wait a little more. I am hearing a lot about this game, and the reviews are been really nice and a lot of people are talking about it.

It is one of main turn-based RPGs of the 3DS, I really think that this alone will push its sales up.

Also, remakes tend to sell less than original games, so we should compare it with DQ IV, V and VI DS remakes, not DQ VIII/IX.

I think it's worth pointing out here that despite the DS V/VI remakes being, well, remakes, it was also the first time they were being localized officially in both cases.

For VII this is only the case for European regions.

We're the off topic capital of the Internet. If you don't like it...

Or GameFAQs.  They're much more understanding and nice and kind and generous and ... 

Are you trying to stop me from possibly defending my enjoyment of FFXII?

Wait, how did Donald Trump stop your enjoyment?  I mean, I don't watch TV anymore to avoid him, but he didn't affect my FFXII (small amount of) enjoyment at all.

I just noticed the FFXII comment I made in my signature.  HAHAHAHA.  It's a like a gift from past-me to present-me.  I have no recollection of doing that.

Edited by Plattym3

Once someone brings up politics in any capacity, whatever conversation was going on tends to be forgotten.

Once someone brings up politics in any capacity, whatever conversation was going on tends to be forgotten.

Oh.

Maribel sucks!

Little known fact, FFXII is a statement on Donald Trump's business. The gambit system, once properly worked to the player's advantage, allows all characters to move the way the character demands efficiently, just like the way Trump controls business. It truly is an interesting statement of the level of control we allow business to have in our everyday lives.

• Upvote 1

Oh.

Maribel sucks!

-->

--> http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35106

I was on a topic. 😂

Just not THE topic. 😄

As much as you keep going back to Maribel, I think there's something else you wanna be on, if you get my meaning. ðŸ˜