Sign in to follow this  
Sword_of_Dusk

Apparent DQVII sales numbers

https://twitter.com/AstronautClaire/status/787033660008562688

Snagged that link from Gamefaqs. I can't really vouch for the accuracy, but it's somewhere to start, I guess. Take it with a grain of salt, of course.

As i said in gamefaqs,don't believe this.

The 1st day sales are stated to be 86k, and this guy claims that the game sold 35k in the entire month of september,witch it's crearly undertracked

I'm pretty sure the guy it's just an attention sekker just putting the information out of his ass,don't worry about it.

Edited by Toonadri
  • Upvote 2

The best way to get attention is to talk about Dragon Quest. That'all prick up everyone's ears.

• Upvote 1

There's no citation listed, so as with the 90k numbers I'm not buying in.

Tbh I have yet to see any properly cited numbers from reliable sources on this. The moment someone provides a reliable, cited source straight from Nintendo or SE, a document, a website listing, etc. then I'll decide the info is reliable.

Completely meaningless.

It's sold out everywhere. It sold what they intended it to sell, and no more. If they expected more sales, Amazon, the largest retailer, wouldn't have a 2 month backorder.

The best way to get attention is to talk about Dragon Quest. That'all prick up everyone's ears.

Still,vgchartz listed that the game sold 86,000k the first two days, i doubt the game sold that porly,that is even worse than the DS remakes.

The 1st day sales are stated to be 86k, and this guy claims that the game sold 35k in the entire month of september,witch it's crearly undertracked

I'm pretty sure the guy it's just an attention sekker just putting the information out of his ass,don't worry about it.

Who said I'm worried? I just wanted to drum up conversation about it.

Completely meaningless.

It's sold out everywhere. It sold what they intended it to sell, and no more. If they expected more sales, Amazon, the largest retailer, wouldn't have a 2 month backorder.

Well...that makes sense.

I guess that means this series will sell this poorly in every game? *sigh* we do really need DQ in smash...it was fun when DQIX and DQVIII sol over 1m

Still,vgchartz listed that the game sold 86,000k the first two days, i doubt the game sold that porly,that is even worse than the DS remakes.

Here's the thing, in this case "poorly" is not actually poorly. So there's nothing to sweat over.

They printed a very small run of copies. That run sold. There are no "well that's it, there's no interest in Dragon Quest!" conclusions for them to jump to. They had an expectation, shipped to it, and seemed to have sold through it.

Now, if they printed a small run and copies STILL made it to the bargain bin... well then there would be a need for concern. But that's not the case here. It's sold out.

If you're worried about impact on X or (more likely) XI. Don't. This has no impact.

Edited by Fates

Here's the thing, in this case "poorly" is not actually poorly. So there's nothing to sweat over.

They printed a very small run of copies. That run sold. There are no "well that's it, there's no interest in Dragon Quest!" conclusions for them to jump to. They had an expectation, shipped to it, and seemed to have sold through it.

Now, if they printed a small run and copies STILL made it to the bargain bin... well then there would be a need for concern. But that's not the case here. It's sold out.

If you're worried about impact on X or (more likely) XI. Don't. This has no impact.

So,there's still a chance even if it's near the realm of impossiblity that DQXI comes to the west and does well?

That I don't know.

All I'm saying is that this probably won't have any impact on it. Good or bad.

Well, since your using vgchartz, here's the combined 1st week sales of DQ6 for Europe and the US: 42,980.

Sounds like  VII is more than double that by 40 units.

Incidentally,the dude's link leads to some tweet by someone claiming to be an astronaut. In fact, his link ain't no link- I searched the text of a tweet. And Google shows me nobody famous named astronaut Claire. 

Anyway...

• Upvote 1

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/01/15/esa-slams-npd-for-misleading-2015-video-game-sales-numbers/187600/

Even the NPD cannot be trusted anymore.

Plus even if those numbers are real, which they might actually be, as AstronautClaire IS actually tracking real NPD numbers for system sales, that doesn't necessarily mean they were released by Nintendo or SE (they could be released by several stores, or even one, so long as more than a single major retailer carries it, NPD will take those numbers), or necessarily reflects all retail sales for physical copies, only stores that have reported in...whichever they are.  Nor does it represent digital download...which I'm sad to say is not only relatively popular, but it's what Nintendo has pushed all along.  From responses...it's almost a 50/50 ratio on GameFAQs, for those mentioning physical or digital.

It's one of the biggest problems.  No direct link, or statement as to who released them.  Plus if they are NPD numbers...there are quite a number of sources that track NPD, or who have access and are DQ fans or often report on JRPGs in general, and we'll know soon enough, with likely better detail as to what they represent.

Edited by ignasia7

http://nintendoeverything.com/september-2016-npd-debut-yo-kai-watch-2-and-dragon-quest-vii-sales-wii-u-and-3ds-hardware-performance/

The 86k was based on pre-order numbers reported from the opening of the Pre-orders through to either July or early August.  They're accurate, but we don't know what companies they represent, we don't know if those were total pre-orders leading into September.

Those NPD numbers are based on SEPTEMBER PHYSICAL sales, so pre-orders in September, and sales since then.  That it's selling out simply means they expected limited sales, and it's sold out EVERYWHERE except Target.  Even then, they're going out out stock.  Feel free to call up.

So is it selling poorly?  It's sold out of pre-orders.  Amazon ran out of stock for two months, we don't know why it took that long to renegotiate new stock numbers.

So how do we look at this?

Let's assume these numbers are Nintendo and Nintendo.  Meaning total sales of physical represented by all retail outlets.

86k, 42 of which were pre-orders leading up to early August, when they were reported.  35k sales in pre-orders and sales since.  Most copies sold out, most stores in back-order.

So that means it's doing far better than expected.

We have no clue on digital sales, so it could be 10% more..20% more, 30% more...100% more, and even higher, given the prevalence of digital sales today.

So those numbers are accurate.

Pre-orders stop about 1~2 weeks prior, so virtually all represented sales are physical copies purchased after release.

So yes...I'd say we're doing pretty damn well.  We'll see if continued sales numbers are ever released past October and the likely second print.  I also wonder if the Digital will ever be represented, or just lumped in as a total DQ7 sales package in SE's next quarterly.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 2

Heard on GAF that somebody on the NPD thread stated physical sales were below 40K. Thats still a big ouch, but hoping that digital sales helped get the overalll sales to 100K. Which I hope is considered a mild success, as other than us fans here and in other forums, we are the only DQ fans in the US. I hope Nintendo gives DQVIII more marekting as that DQ was more popular among casual fans that played it in the PS2 era.

Heard on GAF that somebody on the NPD thread stated physical sales were below 40K. Thats still a big ouch, but hoping that digital sales helped get the overalll sales to 100K. Which I hope is considered a mild success, as other than us fans here and in other forums, we are the only DQ fans in the US. I hope Nintendo gives DQVIII more marekting as that DQ was more popular among casual fans that played it in the PS2 era.

Nah,it boombed,it's just so weird because the game sould out everywhere,i wish the 86,000 in 1st day of vgchartz where true.

Nah,it boombed,it's just so weird because the game sould out everywhere,i wish the 86,000 in 1st day of vgchartz where true.
I believe the 86,000 sales only account for preorders.

I'm concerned of the likelihood of Square Enix localising Dragon Quest XI to the West.

Edited by Dakhil

I believe the 86,000 sales only account for preorders.

I'm concerned of the likelihood of Square Enix localising Dragon Quest XI to the West.

Glad to see you're alive and well, lol.

Oh, I wouldn't be.  Physical copies are pretty much sold out, that's a good sign.  A very good sign.  A better sign is how long will Nintendo support the game.  If sales are consistently decent, they'll continue to produce physical copies to restock.  If they slow to a crawl, they'll just stop and the only access will be the Digital Download.

Where was the 86k number gotten from?

Completely meaningless.

Link?

I won't put any stock into these numbers until something official is released.

I have to wonder, though...WHY is Dragon Quest not as popular here in the west as the likes of Final Fantasy?

I don't want to crush anyone's FF love here (so don't take this personally) but I really couldn't give a damn about Final Fantasy...well, not modern Final Fantasy, anyway. 1-6 are great. While I loved 7 as a teenager, I quickly grew to find it quite overrated over the years. I don't even play the modern games at all. Not interested.

....So why is Dragon Quest always struggling here in the west? Dragon Quest games actually feel like RPG's, whereas all these modern Final Fantasy games look like FMV movies with menu options. I hate seeing a series like Dragon Quest struggling here in the west. It's a great series that never sold itself out and each game has that same "getting acquainted with an old friend" feeling that I NEVER felt with the Final Fantasy series.

I hate seeing everyone having to do number crunching like this for a product that is, in my opinion, far superior to Final Fantasy.

• Upvote 2

Marketing is the main factor.

And you should try playing Final Fantasy IX. That's a good one.

Completely meaningless.

Link?

Just check the Amazon.com listing for it. It's still on 1-2 month backorder. Been like that since release day.

and the 86k came from VGChartz, which is notoriously off the mark.

Again... I would not sweat DQXI over this, or even "DQ is dead in America". This was clearly a limited print run. It could not have sold more than it did, otherwise it wouldn't be sold out!

Marketing is the main factor.

And you should try playing Final Fantasy IX. That's a good one.

FFIX is very good. It was my favorite until FFXII came along.

Completely meaningless.

Link?

Just check the Amazon.com listing for it. It's still on 1-2 month backorder. Been like that since release day.

and the 86k came from VGChartz, which is notoriously off the mark.

Again... I would not sweat DQXI over this, or even "DQ is dead in America". This was clearly a limited print run. It could not have sold more than it did, otherwise it wouldn't be sold out!

I can't find the link, as someone actually posted/wrote about it here months ago when it was first up, but the 86k were pre-order postings that VGchartz put up on their pre-order counts list, which only takes data from actual retailers, or they put nothing in there.  We just don't know specifics on the data itself, how many retailers, when the numbers were counted/taken from, who released them, how many outlets they reflect, or even whether they reflected just physical only.

That last part is spot on.  I wish people would really just take that one detail into account.  The only retailer I've found with copies is Target.  That's it.  Target is also running out of stock, at least in my area, and this is a slow region for DQ sales.  The next phase is really just seeing how quickly Nintendo keeps up reprints.

Would also be nice if Nintendo bothered to release real Digital sales numbers.