17 hours ago, ignasia said:

Yes, yes it is.  The second game is even better.

If you need any help, go ahead and ask.

Oh okay will do!

Yeah, I'm excited to play that too, eventually. DQB is really the only DQ Spinoff that I haven't gotten into yet so I am excited. I think the two games should hold me over till some new DQ comes out, or I'm ready for a replay. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hanging around Cantlin, building stockades and beating giant scorpions.  Love it so far!

Ah, thanks for the info Platty. I wondered if it took several portals or something, and now that everyone keeps mentioning a Golem I have a sneaking suspicion who the boss of this chapter will be.

I'm going to revive this SUPER old thread because I am playing DQB on PS4....and I want to talk about it 😃   First hour was awesome. I can see this game being mesmerizing and addicting. 

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Oh okay will do!

Yeah, I'm excited to play that too, eventually. DQB is really the only DQ Spinoff that I haven't gotten into yet so I am excited. I think the two games should hold me over till some new DQ comes out, or I'm ready for a replay. 

Oh, they shall indeed.  It's very time consuming.  Especially Chapter 2 and 3 in DQB1.  Chapter 4 is really rushed, but there's a lot of hidden cool stuff.  Like a special area on the first island that contains some really crazy equipment that began with DQ2, and the best accessory in DQB: Ring of Criticality, which is available in most chapters (kind of necessary, especially in Chapters 2 through 4).

Oh, when you come upon places with furniture, if there's no special NPC there with a special quest (some of them appear as friendly monsters, like the Hammerhoods on the second island, and for the tombstone sidequest, where you get the recipe from a friendly Brownie on the 3rd island in Chapter 1).

Oh, a protip about Chapters 1, 3, and 4:  Obsidian is necessary.  In chapter 1 you'll be able to get some with Wrecking Balls, make sure NOT to build your current external wall at the edge of your base, but at least one block in.  Once you get enough Obsidian, go ahead and build that as an exterior wall on the edge of your base (the last point where the base music plays).  This will assure that in Chapter 1 at least, your Obsidian barrier appears in the boss battle, as it will protect your base from the final boss.

Chapter 3 it isn't useful vs the boss, but it IS useful versus the normal enemies.  You can get it from the 2nd island the moment you get access to the Cannon.  It still won't protect against the big blue sub-boss that appears, but it blocks everything else.  OH, the cannon stockade you'll be forced to build?  Don't use it.  Build it because it's required to move the story along, but then destroy it, and use the cannons personally.  As in place one on the ground to aim it at a big guy, and use it, then grab it again to move it once again (use hammers to break it, or wait until it gets stomped...having 2 is very useful as keeping one in your active personal inventory assures once the one you're using is destroyed and you pick it up, you don't have to go into your super chest and replace an active slot for it, it will automatically go to the active slot with the unused one).

Chapter 4 has one VERY annoying enemy, the Rockbomb.  The moment you can go to the third island, save the person to the South.  That's the fire section.  You'll get cannons there which can be used to farm obsidian in the mountains nearby, lower sections of the mountain.  Just place the Obsidian 3 blocks high and all the way underground (2 blocks below the surface), in case a bomb attacks.  That will prevent you from rebuilding your base if you get unlucky.  I've had to rebuild mine twice over my first time because of a number of those attacks all at once.

Oh, and try to aim for the super chest as early as you can in Chapters 2 through 4.  That will make life MUCH easier.  You can also delete excess when using the Collosal Coffer, by selecting items within the Coffer itself, and it's the last option.  Saves time if there's just too much excess to hold onto (like 5x 99 Dirt).  Or just toss it into the wilderness somewhere in case you want to get it back by discarding it.  That latter might be better, as you never know.

Cheers.

=======

DQB2 is now the first game in history to make it to a permanent #4 spot in my list of favourite games.  So DQ7 -> FF12 -> RE4 -> DQB2

Very much worthy of it.  It's such an amazing game.  The key to that one, whenever you get to playing it?  Build what you need to as the game requires it.  Especially on the Isle of Awakening (make sure to make basic kitchens and bathrooms, and check the toilet now and again, as the item there is absolutely necessary and is a #$*! to farm any other way), then once the game is beaten, build a certain newly unlocked item that prevents enemy attacks, and complete all tablet targets asap, the simple way.  Just get it done and don't worry about specialization,  Even if you have to make things look tacky.  Once you've completed all of those, you'll get the ultimate tool in DQB2: Buildnocculars.  That changes the game for any form of specialized building.

Or if you're just enjoying the game for the game, and don't care much about end-game, then just have fun and do whatever.  DQB2 enhances the combat, and includes monster party recruits, which can be awesome (Sabrecat, Chimaera, and Golem ftw)...humans are better for actual combat, as monsters only do solid damage if you can ride them and they have an attack while you ride them...yeah for some reason they go from like 5 damage to 40's or 100's, depending on the monster (Golem goes from 5 -> 100+).

4 hours ago, ignasia said:

Oh, they shall indeed.  It's very time consuming.  Especially Chapter 2 and 3 in DQB1.  Chapter 4 is really rushed, but there's a lot of hidden cool stuff.  Like a special area on the first island that contains some really crazy equipment that began with DQ2, and the best accessory in DQB: Ring of Criticality, which is available in most chapters (kind of necessary, especially in Chapters 2 through 4).

Oh, when you come upon places with furniture, if there's no special NPC there with a special quest (some of them appear as friendly monsters, like the Hammerhoods on the second island, and for the tombstone sidequest, where you get the recipe from a friendly Brownie on the 3rd island in Chapter 1).

Oh, a protip about Chapters 1, 3, and 4:  Obsidian is necessary.  In chapter 1 you'll be able to get some with Wrecking Balls, make sure NOT to build your current external wall at the edge of your base, but at least one block in.  Once you get enough Obsidian, go ahead and build that as an exterior wall on the edge of your base (the last point where the base music plays).  This will assure that in Chapter 1 at least, your Obsidian barrier appears in the boss battle, as it will protect your base from the final boss.

Chapter 3 it isn't useful vs the boss, but it IS useful versus the normal enemies.  You can get it from the 2nd island the moment you get access to the Cannon.  It still won't protect against the big blue sub-boss that appears, but it blocks everything else.  OH, the cannon stockade you'll be forced to build?  Don't use it.  Build it because it's required to move the story along, but then destroy it, and use the cannons personally.  As in place one on the ground to aim it at a big guy, and use it, then grab it again to move it once again (use hammers to break it, or wait until it gets stomped...having 2 is very useful as keeping one in your active personal inventory assures once the one you're using is destroyed and you pick it up, you don't have to go into your super chest and replace an active slot for it, it will automatically go to the active slot with the unused one).

Chapter 4 has one VERY annoying enemy, the Rockbomb.  The moment you can go to the third island, save the person to the South.  That's the fire section.  You'll get cannons there which can be used to farm obsidian in the mountains nearby, lower sections of the mountain.  Just place the Obsidian 3 blocks high and all the way underground (2 blocks below the surface), in case a bomb attacks.  That will prevent you from rebuilding your base if you get unlucky.  I've had to rebuild mine twice over my first time because of a number of those attacks all at once.

Oh, and try to aim for the super chest as early as you can in Chapters 2 through 4.  That will make life MUCH easier.  You can also delete excess when using the Collosal Coffer, by selecting items within the Coffer itself, and it's the last option.  Saves time if there's just too much excess to hold onto (like 5x 99 Dirt).  Or just toss it into the wilderness somewhere in case you want to get it back by discarding it.  That latter might be better, as you never know.

Cheers.

=======

DQB2 is now the first game in history to make it to a permanent #4 spot in my list of favourite games.  So DQ7 -> FF12 -> RE4 -> DQB2

Very much worthy of it.  It's such an amazing game.  The key to that one, whenever you get to playing it?  Build what you need to as the game requires it.  Especially on the Isle of Awakening (make sure to make basic kitchens and bathrooms, and check the toilet now and again, as the item there is absolutely necessary and is a #$*! to farm any other way), then once the game is beaten, build a certain newly unlocked item that prevents enemy attacks, and complete all tablet targets asap, the simple way.  Just get it done and don't worry about specialization,  Even if you have to make things look tacky.  Once you've completed all of those, you'll get the ultimate tool in DQB2: Buildnocculars.  That changes the game for any form of specialized building.

Or if you're just enjoying the game for the game, and don't care much about end-game, then just have fun and do whatever.  DQB2 enhances the combat, and includes monster party recruits, which can be awesome (Sabrecat, Chimaera, and Golem ftw)...humans are better for actual combat, as monsters only do solid damage if you can ride them and they have an attack while you ride them...yeah for some reason they go from like 5 damage to 40's or 100's, depending on the monster (Golem goes from 5 -> 100+).

Wow. 

I'm going to need to reference you post when I get some context from the game lol. 

I think I already screwed up the wall thing because I put a structure down right on the edge of town. I'll have to do some rebuilding. 

• Like 1
I'm going to revive this SUPER old thread because I am playing DQB on PS4....and I want to talk about it

First hour was awesome. I can see this game being mesmerizing and addicting. 

I can't wait to play more.
Haha, I maybe got to 60% done in 2017, but then blew through the game in about 10 days last summer finally. I'm surprised I didn't revive this topic then. Have fun with it!
17 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
On 3/1/2020 at 1:52 PM, cprmauldin said:
I'm going to revive this SUPER old thread because I am playing DQB on PS4....and I want to talk about it emoji2.png

First hour was awesome. I can see this game being mesmerizing and addicting. 

I can't wait to play more.

Haha, I maybe got to 60% done in 2017, but then blew through the game in about 10 days last summer finally. I'm surprised I didn't revive this topic then. Have fun with it!

Were you able to jump back into your 2017 campaign or did you start over?

I started over. I originally played it on PS4, but it's hard for me to do much on that console anymore. I got a free Vita code years ago, so played it last summer on Vita.
15 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
16 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

but it's hard for me to do much on that console anymore. 

I feel you on that. 

My Switch to PS4 ratio is about 4:1 in terms of time played. 

• Like 1