Sign in to follow this  
shan780

DQV Appreciation Topic

I picked up a little game called Dragon Quest V for the DS last week, and I'd like to say...

This is the best DQ I've played! I've played I, II, III, VII, VIII and IX to completion, and this is definitely my favourite one. Granted, I haven't beat the game yet (I'm just about to fight the final boss), and nothing short of the cartridge leaping out of its slot, spouting legs and kicking me in the balls could ruin my enjoyment of this. The monster taming mechanic is one of the coolest things I've seen in any traditional JRPG, and is something I hope to see more of in the series' future. It effectively allows for all types of combinations of party, with an infinite number of characters to level up (grinding is, oddly enough, my favourite part of JRPGs). The story is way more powerful (imo) than the more lighthearted ones in DQVIII and DQIX, which makes the game, in my experience, far more gripping. I feel compelled to avenge Pankraz and Mada, and kill Nimzo far more so than defeating Corvus or Orgodemir. The addition of the marriage options and the twins gives the game a more personal feeling, and the idea of leading my wife and two kids into hell to slay the devil is a really cool one. Just simple things like naming the kids, and the kids having different hair colours depending on what wife I picked (I picked Debora, and her party chats have been awesome) really helped me to feel a connection to this game, which was something I felt was somewhat lacking in VII, which was the last game I played. 

The game found new ways to surprise me at every turn. I was shocked by the death of Pankraz and the selling of the hero into slavery, things I previously thought would be too brutal to include in a Dragon Quest game. I was shocked again when the hero's wife was kidnapped just as the kids were born, and again when they were turned to stone, as I naively thought they might finally give the hero a break. The appearance of Bjorn was really cool too, and seeing him burst out of his prison and advance towards you across the sea was probably one of the most memorable moments I've had in a Dragon Quest game. The modes of transport were great too. I thought the magic carpet would be the final one, so I was surprised to see you could fly an entire castle, and again when you flew the Zenith Dragon (Dr.Agon!).

The death of Pankraz really aided my connection to this game later on, and I took great delight in slaying Kon, Slon and Ladja, particularly after their taunting. I felt a hatred for Ladja that I've never felt for a villain in a JRPG, and the twist of Nimzo murdering Mada makes me want to destroy him too. 

Are the other games in the Zenithian Trilogy as strong as this one? I was thinking about ordering DQIV and DQVI for the DS too, not only to finish off the main series (I would have gotten around to doing that anyway), but to see if they can stand up to DQV, seeing as I've seen lots of people on this site swearing by IV. Regardless, I'm somewhat doubtful that any other DQ game (or perhaps any other JRPG for that matter?) can stand up to this masterpiece. If I were to assign a numerical value to my enjoyment of this game, it'd be sure to get 10/10.

Edited by shan780
  • Upvote 2

Harry is my favorite DQ character.

Personally I think DQVI, VII and VIII are better than V, but that doesn't mean V lacks merits. It has them. Like Harry.

...I'm a bit bitter that Sizzards can't be recruited though, they're so cute and blue is pretty.

VI is my favorite game overall, it's basically a superior version of VII imo. VII had some pacing issues, which I never felt was a problem in VI, and I think the lower class count in VI made for a higher percentage of useful classes (VII's monster classes were a bit pointless for the most part, especially on PSX, VI's were not).

And it has Milly and Terry, you can't go wrong with them.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Harry is my favorite DQ character.

Personally I think DQVI, VII and VIII are better than V, but that doesn't mean V lacks merits. It has them. Like Harry.

...I'm a bit bitter that Sizzards can't be recruited though, they're so cute and blue is pretty.

VI is my favorite game overall, it's basically a superior version of VII imo. VII had some pacing issues, which I never felt was a problem in VI, and I think the lower class count in VI made for a higher percentage of useful classes (VII's monster classes were a bit pointless for the most part, especially on PSX, VI's were not).

And it has Milly and Terry, you can't go wrong with them.

Wow, really? It's all anecdotal, but I had the opposite. DQVII I've had no issue with, but DQVI I had some pretty major pacing issues and the characters aren't as memorable as they have been in DQVII.

DQ5 is amazing. I do prefer 8 and 7 myself. Overall story just isn't the most important thing in a dragon quest game to me. But I would give it a tied 3rd spot with 6.

I definately do appreciate that game. And I definately don't think it is weird for people to have DQ5 as their favorite in the series.

It's really confusing to me that V isn't more people's favorite, here on the Den. Everyone seems to have the same view as Emptilion. They appreciate it and understand how some could clay it their favoeite, but they personally don't think it's the best.

Edited by AustNerevar

It's really confusing to me that V isn't more people's favorite, here on the Den. Everyone seems to have the same view as Bururian. They appreciate it and understand how some could clay it their favoeite, but they personally don't think it's the best.

And yet Bururian didn't say that, it was Emptilion.

I guess it's time for that one quote: "You thought it was Bururian, BUT IT WAS ME, EMPTILION!"

• Upvote 2

It's really confusing to me that V isn't more people's favorite, here on the Den. Everyone seems to have the same view as Bururian. They appreciate it and understand how some could clay it their favoeite, but they personally don't think it's the best.

My post was a reaction to Glaceon liking DQVI more. DQV is by far my favorite Dragon Quest game.

Depending on the day of the week, the position of the sun and moon, and amount of water I've had to drink, a case can be made for IV, V, VII, or VIII to be my favorite. So, today I agree with you! Although I'm about to sit down and play me some VII right now, so...

Depending on the day of the week, the position of the sun and moon, and amount of water I've had to drink, a case can be made for IV, V, VII, or VIII to be my favorite. So, today I agree with you! Although I'm about to sit down and play me some VII right now, so...

That reminds me of a stupid joke I had in high school. People would ask what time it was, so I'd say, "According to the sun..." and I would not do sneakily look at my cell phone to see what the time was. Didn't matter if it was cloudy or not, rain or snow, I would always make that stupid joke.

Anyway, I'm with my twinsie, my favorite shifts between IV, VII, and VIII. All the others (save IX) are on equal footing, with III having a slight edge to DQIII since it's more the style I like RPGs with a heavy focus on exploration and gameplay instead of story. Or to sum it up its for the same reasons I like Etrian Odyssey and Final Fantasy I so much.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Anyway, I'm with my twinsie, my favorite shifts between IV, VII, and VIII. All the others (save IX) are on equal footing, with III having a slight edge to DQIII since it's more the style I like RPGs with a heavy focus on exploration and gameplay instead of story. Or to sum it up its for the same reasons I like Etrian Odyssey and Final Fantasy I so much.

So DQIII is slightly better than itself? ;)

So DQIII is slightly better than itself? ;)

Yes. Finally someone who understands me!

DQV is probably my favourite game of all time, so I completely agree. I will say that whilst the rest of the Zenithian trilogy are good (as are the rest of the main series games), none of them come close to V for me. Do check out the Monsters spin off series, because it's the only place they continue the fun mechanic of recruiting monsters.

Edited by Geon

DQV and VII are my two favorites. I always go back to them. IV is close behind (lack of party chat hurts it).

If there's one thing I've come to appreciate about V, it would be its soundtrack. After doing a bit of replaying in the game and getting the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphonic Suite rendition of the soundtrack, I was reminded that I really enjoyed V's soundtrack. I would probably put it as my number 3 favorite Dragon Quest soundtrack.

DQ5 is amazing. It hasn't won the same place in my heart that DQ4 and 8 may have, because I discovered it later, but in my head it's well worth every ounce of hype and respect it gets.

For kicks, I married Deborah in my first play, but will probably do a Bianca run someday. 

I just had to hear what spoiled bratty stuff she says in party chat!  * sprouts a halo *

What, you think I picked her just for her body? * halo tilts slightly left *

• Upvote 1

DQV is awesome!

But picking a favorite in a franchise I love as much as this one is hard.. so I'll group them into tiers.

(Adore)

DQ4, DQ5, DQ8

(Love)

DQ3, DQ6, DQ2

(Really like)

DQ1

(Haven't played)

DQ7, DQ9

I'm not much into dark stories, but I still adored the game for giving me so many new emotions in a videogame.

This why I slightly sway into DQ4's favor, but the line bewtween them is next to unnoticeable in my mind. (I really fell in love with every character in it).

But 5 is so awesome either way, I wish more DQ games had the monster recruit system.

I especially liked the twist of how the main hero wasn't the one with Zenithian blood.

So many amazing twists in that game! But I admit it got me depressed more than twice. I couldn't even write my thoughts about it the day after beating it because I just couldn't think of the right words to sum such a great experience in a paragraph. I think I still can't!

Random tibids:

- Married Deborah

- 2nd favorite ost (DQ2 is my #1)

- Trained Golem and that Hoody kid

- Favorite battle theme in the series (tied with Meena & Maya's)

- Dragon Staff is one of my favorite weapons ever.

Edited by Rock_DJ
  • Upvote 2

DQV struck me as one of the greatest games I'd ever played. From the sense of adventure in the beginning to your family's epic return at the end. Incomplete sentences. The monster recruitment did a lot for me, I finished the game with my family safe at home at the cost of some party chat bits. The characters are great overall, I'll marry Deborah again on subsequent playthroughs.

• Upvote 1

Yup.

DQV struck me as one of the greatest games I'd ever played. From the sense of adventure in the beginning to your family's epic return at the end. Incomplete sentences. The monster recruitment did a lot for me, I finished the game with my family safe at home at the cost of some party chat bits. The characters are great overall, I'll marry Deborah again on subsequent playthroughs.

Incomplete sentences?

Incomplete sentences?

What about incomplete sen

Between Dragon Quest I through IX, Dragon Quest V is roughly my 6th favorite of 9, so while I love it greatly, it's a far cry from my ideal. Still, none the less (in my humble opinion) Dragon Quest V has the best "overall" soundtrack of any main dragon quest title (in gross; all Dragon Quests possess excellent music), just barely beating out IV and VII in the sound department. It most certainly has ONE of the best overall story lines of any of the main series titles (only VII easily surpasses it in my eyes), rivaling III, IV, VIII, and IX, which also possess tales much to my liking. There's just something incredibly endearing about a family's three generation struggle against evil! Also, monster selection is fairly good (and very creative), failing only to top VII and VIII, and easily matching up to II and III. 

As far as evil doers are concerned, though while Mirudraas was a fab final boss, falling only to Deathmore, Zoma, and Pizzaro in my eyes, Ladja and his henchmen easily stole the show as the benchmark villains that made the nefarious acts of Nizmo's plans shine so darkly! The characters and side quests, on the other hand (While I did like them, mind), were some of my least favorite, beating out only II and IX in character quality (to me, at least). Growing up, getting married, fighting alongside your father and children... Dragon Quest V a truly magical experience that few other rpgs could ever hope to be compared to, and despite it appearing so low on my list of favorites, I firmly believe that it remains truly the most unique Dragon Quest to date!