Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

I'm not sure I'm interested in this game and I'm a MAJOR D

My problem with the news of this game since Day 1 has been the fact that you must buy an online monthly subscription in order to just advance the damn story. 

Call me old-fashioned, but I buy the game--I want the entire game--not being forced into paying MORE on a MONTHLY basis just to play the entire game through.

Or, am I wrong? Will they nix this aspect if it's ever localized? If not, I may sit this one out...and I say this as MAJOR fan. I simply see little point in shelling out $40-60 for a game that has a limited offline mode and a "real" game that requires paying a monthly subscription for. What were they trying to do here--pull of a World of Warcraft thing? Well, I never played World of Warcraft (and have no intention of ever doing so) and have no interest in this game if it's ever localized.

It's shame, too, because I like several aspects of the premise--just not the forced online crap. I've never been a fan of games that rely so heavily on online play and I hate how they forced this model onto one of my favorite video game franchises. I feel like I've been cheated as a fan with this forced "Get with the times, old man, or get out" model they're pushing with this.

...Am I misinformed? I wish I was. Can someone clear the air on this?

Thanks.

Well it's settled then, you won't be buying the game. Cya later.

• Upvote 1

Well it's settled then, you won't be buying the game. Cya later.

I thought that: "...Am I misinformed? I wish I was. Can someone clear the air on this?"  was a rather clear question...of which you didn't answer...

If someone has an actual answer rather than a rude, uncalled for, snide comment, I'd really appreciate it!  :thumbsup:

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

Yes, it's expensive, but if it's worth the money for me to play when I can't understand the whole thing, surely it must be worth it to other fans if it gets translated.

The only reason I'm not subscribed at the moment is I don't have the time to play. But when I'm home for the off season (coming up in a few weeks) I'll be subbing again right away.

In regards to your post ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega you don't NEED a subscription to advance in the story. It is possible only to play during kids time and finish the story. You'd need to devote a bunch of short play sessions, but it's possible.

I think what urged the sarcastic unhelpful reply is simply that your entire original post has a plethora of assumptions that you're asking us to refute or disprove. In the long run people who frequent this subforum find that those who approach DQX tend to keep hold of those assumptions no matter how much they disprove the claim.

TL;dr you did pose a question, but it seemed like you wanted more to vent your frustrations rather than find a solution to the question tacked on at the end.

Yes, it's expensive, but if it's worth the money for me to play when I can't understand the whole thing, surely it must be worth it to other fans if it gets translated.

The only reason I'm not subscribed at the moment is I don't have the time to play. But when I'm home for the off season (coming up in a few weeks) I'll be subbing again right away.

Thanks.

In regards to your post ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega you don't NEED a subscription to advance in the story. It is possible only to play during kids time and finish the story. You'd need to devote a bunch of short play sessions, but it's possible.

I think what urged the sarcastic unhelpful reply is simply that your entire original post has a plethora of assumptions that you're asking us to refute or disprove. In the long run people who frequent this subforum find that those who approach DQX tend to keep hold of those assumptions no matter how much they disprove the claim.

TL;dr you did pose a question, but it seemed like you wanted more to vent your frustrations rather than find a solution to the question tacked on at the end.

Thank you for answering my question. I don't really understand "kids time", though, to be honest.

Well, I posted what I did to get a quick answer. Every source I read through mentions a subscription service and none of it really gets down to the core of my question.

I guess I was venting about the subsciption service in a way but that is targeted at the developers and the game market in general--not the fans. That's why I made it clear in my post that I'm a major fan and I'm speaking as a disappointed fan. That doesn't warrant sarcasm and disrespect toward me.

Anyway, I mainly brought this point up because of all the recent news of possible localization. I'm looking for reasons TO buy this game--not to NOT buy it, otherwise, I wouldn't have invested my time typing this up. I'm weighing the pros and cons here and wanted to ask the people who might have actually played the thing and could clue me in. So, thank you for answering my question but no--venting was secondary to my main goal: finding reasons to want to buy this thing if it gets localized.

They do continued development of the game and they have enough players to support a sub based model so they don't have to do any sketchy cash shop stuff. They won't be dropping the subscription anytime soon. Kids time is a 2 hour period where people who have purchased the game but don't have an active subscription can play. If you aren't in Japan the timing of these hours is very inconvenient and if it's localized I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do "kids time" over here in the West.

It's obnoxious when people come to the forum and act all entitled and trash DQX for being an online game. If you don't like it that's fine but not every game in the series has to be designed to your specifications. I mean the game isn't even released in the West and while I would love a localization I'm not holding my breath. You're sitting here complaining that you don't like how they designed a game that they don't even want you to play in the first place. 

They do continued development of the game and they have enough players to support a sub based model so they don't have to do any sketchy cash shop stuff. They won't be dropping the subscription anytime soon. Kids time is a 2 hour period where people who have purchased the game but don't have an active subscription can play. If you aren't in Japan the timing of these hours is very inconvenient and if it's localized I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do "kids time" over here in the West.

It's obnoxious when people come to the forum and act all entitled and trash DQX for being an online game. If you don't like it that's fine but not every game in the series has to be designed to your specifications. I mean the game isn't even released in the West and while I would love a localization I'm not holding my breath. You're sitting here complaining that you don't like how they designed a game that they don't even want you to play in the first place. 

Excuse me, but I'm a fan of the series and this is forum that is not only for fans but also for discussion. As a fan of the series, I have every right to question decisions such as this one and it's my prerogative (as a fan and consumer) to criticize a dramatic change to the established product.

You are a fan of it--great. Others are as well--great. I'm not telling anyone NOT to like this thing here. You damned well better be sure that no one can affect my own enjoyment of any one product. For you to call me obnoxious and entitled for voicing my opinion as a fan of this series is, quite honestly, quite insulting and immature. What you are is a fan of this game who is taking my criticisms to heart as if I'm making them against you. THAT is the obnoxious behavior here. 

This "Just shut up and don't buy it then" mentality is disturbing--why do I not have a right to voice my concerns/displeasure with certain decisions the seller makes? I'm the fan. I'm the consumer. That's my right just as much as it is your right to praise it.

Entitled? I hate this word on game forums. A person can't make any complaints without being accused of being "entitled". "Entitled" would be if I expected to get this game for free. "Entitled"--pffftt!! I pay money for this series. I have EVERY right to criticize their decisions. They're not making this thing out of the goodness of their hearts--they're doing it for MONEY, as all businesses do. As consumers, it's our right to provide praise and/or criticism. YOU are being the obnoxious one here.

• Upvote 1

Excuse me, but I'm a fan of the series and this is forum that is not only for fans but also for discussion. As a fan of the series, I have every right to question decisions such as this one and it's my prerogative (as a fan and consumer) to criticize a dramatic change to the established product.

You are a fan of it--great. Others are as well--great. I'm not telling anyone NOT to like this thing here. You damned well better be sure that no one can affect my own enjoyment of any one product. For you to call me obnoxious and entitled for voicing my opinion as a fan of this series is, quite honestly, quite insulting and immature. What you are is a fan of this game who is taking my criticisms to heart as if I'm making them against you. THAT is the obnoxious behavior here. 

This "Just shut up and don't buy it then" mentality is disturbing--why do I not have a right to voice my concerns/displeasure with certain decisions the seller makes? I'm the fan. I'm the consumer. That's my right just as much as it is your right to praise it.

Entitled? I hate this word on game forums. A person can't make any complaints without being accused of being "entitled". "Entitled" would be if I expected to get this game for free. "Entitled"--pffftt!! I pay money for this series. I have EVERY right to criticize their decisions. They're not making this thing out of the goodness of their hearts--they're doing it for MONEY, as all businesses do. As consumers, it's our right to provide praise and/or criticism. YOU are being the obnoxious one here.

If they decided to make every subsequent game in the series an MMO maybe you'd have a point. They haven't made any drastic changes to an established product, they made an MMO with their IP because they knew it would sell and that people would like it. Dragon Quest 11 is not going to be an MMO and neither is Dragon Quest 12 or 13 or 14. At any rate you're questioning a decision that was made over a decade ago at this point.

If they decided to make every subsequent game in the series an MMO maybe you'd have a point. They haven't made any drastic changes to an established product, they made an MMO with their IP because they knew it would sell and that people would like it. Dragon Quest 11 is not going to be an MMO and neither is Dragon Quest 12 or 13 or 14. At any rate you're questioning a decision that was made over a decade ago at this point.

Fair enough, I guess. Maybe I'll buy it if it's localized. I hate MMO's but I love Dragon Quest enough to maybe make an exception in this case. I'm that big of a fan that I might give it a shot if it's localized.

I see this as a DQB or a DQHTWTWATBB situation for me.

Minecraft? Never given it the time of day, but I've loved the DQB demos and its pre-ordered.

Fighting games of any sort? Pfft. I haven't played anything but turn-based RPGs in decades. Loved DQH.

MMOs? Meh. Saying "Zero interest" might be me stretching my interest level in them. And honestly DQX hasn't interested me in years. But... I'm sure I'd get it to support the series and I'm sure I'd play it a bit. Now, keeping up paying for as little time as I actually have to play games as a nearing 40 adult with 2 kids and going back to college? Real life is going to affect my opinion more than the game itself.

I get your frustration, we'll see what happens!

I see this as a DQB or a DQHTWTWATBB situation for me.

Minecraft? Never given it the time of day, but I've loved the DQB demos and its pre-ordered.

Fighting games of any sort? Pfft. I haven't played anything but turn-based RPGs in decades. Loved DQH.

MMOs? Meh. Saying "Zero interest" might be me stretching my interest level in them. And honestly DQX hasn't interested me in years. But... I'm sure I'd get it to support the series and I'm sure I'd play it a bit. Now, keeping up paying for as little time as I actually have to play games as a nearing 40 adult with 2 kids and going back to college? Real life is going to affect my opinion more than the game itself.

I get your frustration, we'll see what happens!

Yeah, I think that's part of my problem--I'm 32 and married with a full time career. I get a couple hours of play time day IF I'm lucky and I just don't like the idea of paying a monthly subscription. It's going to give me that "Play as much as you can or you're wasting money" feeling. Plus, as I stated, I have an "old fashioned" mindset and firmly believe that, when you buy a game, you bought the game. Any "extra expenditures" should be nothing more than some sort of DLC content or something and even THOSE I'm usually against. I mean--am I buying a video game or a "service" here, you know?

Remember the good old days when you could buy something like, say, The Legend of Zelda and that was it? You didn't have to pay a monthly subscription to open new dungeons. You bought the game and received the whole game.

Maybe if I was younger and single I'd be more excited (as I had a lot of time to play back then). Nowadays? I have a "quick fix" sort of mentality which is why DQVII remake has worked so well for me--I can quick save that sucker any time I'd like and return to it later. With DQX...I'm not sure...I don't want to feel that anxiety of trying to beat the game as quickly as possible in order to get the most bang for my buck. That style of gaming is unappealing to me.

Now, my issue is OCD. I'm a completionist. If DQX were to be released, I'd almost have to buy it if nothing more than for collector's sake. I mean--I own every Dragon Quest...how do I just turn my head away from another?

Maybe I'll just diddle my way through the "kids time" like one of those posters stated.

*The Beast eyes the post carefully, and the reply from others, growls slightly, then snorts, going back to sleep*

*The Beast eyes the post carefully, and the reply from others, growls slightly, then snorts, going back to sleep*

*The Rockbomb is assessing the situation* 

Erdrick,

There are a few things to keep in mind, and the train your paying for va subscription.

There is constantly new content being added. New story quests. New events. The game is constantly evolving

Erdrick,

There are a few things to keep in mind, and the train your paying for va subscription.

There is constantly new content being added. New story quests. New events. The game is constantly evolving

What is the cost of the monthly subscription? I know it may vary when/if it's localized, but I just wanted to get an idea.

Erdrick,

What is the cost of the monthly subscription? I know it may vary when/if it's localized, but I just wanted to get an idea.

About 10 bucks a month. If they bring it to the West I imagine it will follow FFXIV's pricing model and be 13 dollars a month for a standard sub.

Let's talk Dragon Quest X.

As another poster mentioned, there is the "Kid's Time" option.  2 hours each day, at a specific 2 hour timeframe (You don't get to choose what 2 hours you want.  You're either there during this specific 2 hours or you're not) anyone that has bought the game can play for free.  The moment the 2 hours is up, you're booted off no matter where you are or what you're doing, even if you're in the middle of a cut scene.  If you happen to be available during those hours, it's a nice option.  It can also be a kind of natural barrier to ensure you don't spend too much time on the game if you want to make sure you don't get carried away.

There's also a free trial that limits you to a level cap of 20 and allows you to experience a few story segments from version 1.  A nice option if you just want to sample the game.

Okay now, let's get into the real thick of it now.  Except for those exceptions above, this is indeed a subscription based game.  If you want to seriously play the game, that's going to be a reality.  If the fee is a deal-breaker for you, despite being a huge Dragon Quest fan, this is one game you are probably going to have to pass on.  There are a few video series on Youtube showing gameplay and story progression, and those might be a way for you to see the game's story if you're not able to play through it yourself.

It's perfectly fair to critisize and complain about the scenario.  Without question this is the most expensive Dragon Quest game ever, but that comes with the territory of being a subscription based online game.  The game offers an incredible experience, and the longest most content filled game Dragon Quest has ever seen, the story is significantly longer than any other Dragon Quest game out there.  This is sort of like Dragon Quest premium, a great deal of content, but it comes at a price for this ever expanding ever increasing world.

For you, it seems to me like Dragon Quest XI, the upcoming game in the series, is going to be exactly what you're looking for.  This one returns to being an offline game, so it should be considerably cheaper to obtain and complete.  In the mean time, Dragon Quest Builders is mere days away from getting a western release and that may satisfy your Dragon Quest while we wait for 11.  Its worth mentioning that 11 has not been announced for the west, but we have high hopes of it coming.

Let's talk Dragon Quest X.

As another poster mentioned, there is the "Kid's Time" option.  2 hours each day, at a specific 2 hour timeframe (You don't get to choose what 2 hours you want.  You're either there during this specific 2 hours or you're not) anyone that has bought the game can play for free.  The moment the 2 hours is up, you're booted off no matter where you are or what you're doing, even if you're in the middle of a cut scene.  If you happen to be available during those hours, it's a nice option.  It can also be a kind of natural barrier to ensure you don't spend too much time on the game if you want to make sure you don't get carried away.

There's also a free trial that limits you to a level cap of 20 and allows you to experience a few story segments from version 1.  A nice option if you just want to sample the game.

Okay now, let's get into the real thick of it now.  Except for those exceptions above, this is indeed a subscription based game.  If you want to seriously play the game, that's going to be a reality.  If the fee is a deal-breaker for you, despite being a huge Dragon Quest fan, this is one game you are probably going to have to pass on.  There are a few video series on Youtube showing gameplay and story progression, and those might be a way for you to see the game's story if you're not able to play through it yourself.

It's perfectly fair to critisize and complain about the scenario.  Without question this is the most expensive Dragon Quest game ever, but that comes with the territory of being a subscription based online game.  The game offers an incredible experience, and the longest most content filled game Dragon Quest has ever seen, the story is significantly longer than any other Dragon Quest game out there.  This is sort of like Dragon Quest premium, a great deal of content, but it comes at a price for this ever expanding ever increasing world.

For you, it seems to me like Dragon Quest XI, the upcoming game in the series, is going to be exactly what you're looking for.  This one returns to being an offline game, so it should be considerably cheaper to obtain and complete.  In the mean time, Dragon Quest Builders is mere days away from getting a western release and that may satisfy your Dragon Quest while we wait for 11.  Its worth mentioning that 11 has not been announced for the west, but we have high hopes of it coming.

Thank you very much--this was very informative. Your answer is the type of answer I was hoping for from the get-go and it's a shame it took this much needless drama to get there.

I may still buy DQX. If I can afford monthly Netflix, then I don't see why not for this. I just want to be sure that I'm getting bang for my buck, you know?

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

I don't know if it was answered haven't had a chance to read all the posts, but kids time is when anyone can log in regardless of subscription status and enjoy the benefits of the online game.

Oh also, yeah lots of heated discussions when these posts crop up. It's one of those things we get with any DQ until it is localized and released. DQX is a mmo, and Ryan touches a nerve for those of us who grew up with the series loved it, and always wanted to share that.

What's better than a DQ fan? Hundreds of thousands of them together playing what they love.

Edited by Ashes

I don't know if it was answered haven't had a chance to read all the posts, but kids time is when anyone can log in regardless of subscription status and enjoy the benefits of the online game.

Oh also, yeah lots of heated discussions when these posts crop up. It's one of those things we get with any DQ until it is localized and released. DQX is a mmo, and Ryan touches a nerve for those of us who grew up with the series loved it, and always wanted to share that.

What's better than a DQ fan? Hundreds of thousands of them together playing what they love.

Exactly, and I wish the supposed "Fans" who bash against DQX understood that. But generally, players who see the mmo tag, or a relatively cheap subscription, seems to just automatically hate on the game for all the most idiotic illogical reasons. Anyway, Well said Ashes. 

Edited by Alexandrious

Exactly, and I wish the supposed "Fans" who bash against DQX understood that. But generally, players who see the mmo tag, or a relatively cheap subscription, seems to just automatically hate on the game for all the most idiotic illogical reasons. Anyway, Well said Ashes. 

There are a lot of assumptions in there and, while I can understand your frustration at my post, I don't appreciate the way you're talking about me. I stated my reasons and those were my reasons. You don't have to like or accept them but to resort to the tired and VERY immature accusation of  "nott a troo fan!!!!111eleven11!!!" nonsense and calling my reasons idiotic? Stop right there--I won't stand for that.

I wasn't disrespectful to anyone in this thread and you don't have a right to be disrespectful to me, do you understand?

DQX largely does have a bias against it, and it's not hard to see why that is.  Taking a game that has historically been an offline single player RPG, and turning it into a paid online subscription is a glaring change.  There's no denying that DQX is an expensive game to get into.  $10 a month becomes $120 a year, its not a cost that should just be dismissed, it's a significant consideration.  Add to that, if you are not late to the party, you've also had to buy each expansion as it's come out.  For someone that just wants to play through the story, this cost can be intimidating.

We here at the Dragon Den are one of the few sources of accurate information about this game.  I feel it should be up to us not to scold people over their pre-determined notions of Dragon Quest X, but to inform them of what the game is really about and let them decide if they feel it's for them or not.  We need to set an example here and present ourselves as a helpful resource, we don't want to present ourselves as a hostile group.  How we treat people here has an effect on how they are going to perceive the game, and the community surrounding it, even if someone's introductory post might come off as somewhat confrontational.

Now then, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega, if you are mostly interested in the story of the game, and not the "daily" activities that are pretty "MMO" like (crafting, money quests, etc), this game does have options for you that can greatly reduce the costs you invest in it.  And it involves not playing when there's no content that interests you.  I'll now explain exactly what I mean by that.

The story gets released in chunks.  We probably get a major story update about twice a year or so.  Tonight, we are getting another Version 3 update that will release more story content.

At the time of release, the latest story content is pretty much for end-game players.  The bosses are at their toughest and someone new to the game probably wouldn't be able to beat them.  In a later update, the story bosses are givinig difficulty levels, and you can choose to fight weaker versions of them.  This allows you to more easily advance the story without having to spend a lot of time in the "MMO" style stuff building up your character in ways you wouldn't have to do in a typical Dragon Quest game.

Here is one approach you could take.  You could buy a 1 month subscription, and begin playing through the story.  You can probably complete Version 1 in that time, and you can probably get a fair good way into Version 2 as well, especially if you have a powerful person on your friend list that you can hire their AI to help you (or have them directly help you).

Once your subscription is over, if you are still interested in the story, you could buy an additional month and continue it.  Eventually, you'll either finish the currently released story, or reach a point where you feel satisfied and are ready to stop.  For the sake of example, let's say you finish the entire story in oh say 4 months.

You could now stop your subscription, and wait until the next story segment is released in the future and make a return then.  Say the next story segment gets released 6 months later, that's $60 you aren't paying because you didn't maintain your subscription during the "down period".  This is a perfectly acceptable option if you aren't interested in things like optinal super-bosses and other end-game content.

The first thing I would recommend is the free trial.  Give yourself a sample course and see if you like the DQX style.  If you don't, no harm done.  You uninstall the free trial and go about your business.  If you like what you see, perhaps you buy the game if you feel its worth paying extra for.

DQX largely does have a bias against it, and it's not hard to see why that is.  Taking a game that has historically been an offline single player RPG, and turning it into a paid online subscription is a glaring change.  There's no denying that DQX is an expensive game to get into.  $10 a month becomes $120 a year, its not a cost that should just be dismissed, it's a significant consideration.  Add to that, if you are not late to the party, you've also had to buy each expansion as it's come out.  For someone that just wants to play through the story, this cost can be intimidating.

We here at the Dragon Den are one of the few sources of accurate information about this game.  I feel it should be up to us not to scold people over their pre-determined notions of Dragon Quest X, but to inform them of what the game is really about and let them decide if they feel it's for them or not.  We need to set an example here and present ourselves as a helpful resource, we don't want to present ourselves as a hostile group.  How we treat people here has an effect on how they are going to perceive the game, and the community surrounding it, even if someone's introductory post might come off as somewhat confrontational.

Now then, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega, if you are mostly interested in the story of the game, and not the "daily" activities that are pretty "MMO" like (crafting, money quests, etc), this game does have options for you that can greatly reduce the costs you invest in it.  And it involves not playing when there's no content that interests you.  I'll now explain exactly what I mean by that.

The story gets released in chunks.  We probably get a major story update about twice a year or so.  Tonight, we are getting another Version 3 update that will release more story content.

At the time of release, the latest story content is pretty much for end-game players.  The bosses are at their toughest and someone new to the game probably wouldn't be able to beat them.  In a later update, the story bosses are givinig difficulty levels, and you can choose to fight weaker versions of them.  This allows you to more easily advance the story without having to spend a lot of time in the "MMO" style stuff building up your character in ways you wouldn't have to do in a typical Dragon Quest game.

Here is one approach you could take.  You could buy a 1 month subscription, and begin playing through the story.  You can probably complete Version 1 in that time, and you can probably get a fair good way into Version 2 as well, especially if you have a powerful person on your friend list that you can hire their AI to help you (or have them directly help you).

Once your subscription is over, if you are still interested in the story, you could buy an additional month and continue it.  Eventually, you'll either finish the currently released story, or reach a point where you feel satisfied and are ready to stop.  For the sake of example, let's say you finish the entire story in oh say 4 months.

You could now stop your subscription, and wait until the next story segment is released in the future and make a return then.  Say the next story segment gets released 6 months later, that's $60 you aren't paying because you didn't maintain your subscription during the "down period".  This is a perfectly acceptable option if you aren't interested in things like optinal super-bosses and other end-game content.

The first thing I would recommend is the free trial.  Give yourself a sample course and see if you like the DQX style.  If you don't, no harm done.  You uninstall the free trial and go about your business.  If you like what you see, perhaps you buy the game if you feel its worth paying extra for.

Thank you very much. This greatly explains things for me and this is exactly the type of information I haven't been able to find on other websites. THESE are the details I was looking for. You're making it sound much more appealing to me.

Thank you for taking the time to lay these details out for me.

I never understand hostility like what I experienced--I'm not attacking fans of the product when I criticize the product. People take things to heart far too quickly nowadays. I'm such a large fan of this series that I'm willing to give something new a shot if it sounds appealing enough.

You and two other posters made this sound a WHOLE lot more appealing to me--especially you. I thank you for that.

I actually tried asking this question once--several years ago when the game was first released. It was on some other forum (I think Gamfaqs). No one helped me at all and I, instead, received a lot of hostility and a lot of "you're not a real DQ fan" accusations. Hostility like that isn't necessary.

So, I thank you as you gave me the greatest answer I've received since I first asked this question several years ago. Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

You may have just sold me on this game. If X ever ends up localized, I think I'll give it a try on the free trial like you suggested. Thanks!