What are you reading?

2 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

I remember when you me and Zenith all tried reading it. I feel I was the only one to succeed. Keep at it, it became one of my favorites.

I fell into the darkness just like Gandalf did. Though luckily not because of a Balrog...

Our fellowship broke, but perhaps it can be repaired!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished Book Four from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Started Book Five, Fires From Heaven. 

It's still really funny and I feel like it's gotten even more absurd than ever before, but the current arc is moving really slow for some reason. It feels like it's near the end, but then something ha

Finished Fires of Heaven (Book 5, Wheel of Time) Began Lord of Chaos (Book 6, Wheel of Time)

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I fell into the darkness just like Gandalf did. Though luckily not because of a Balrog...

Our fellowship broke, but perhaps it can be repaired!

To quote Frodo:

"There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep… that have taken hold."

17 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

To quote Frodo:

"There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep… that have taken hold."

Sounds like Frodo's been holding the ring too long. At least he didn't reach Gollum/Smeagel levels.

Seriously though, I had stopped reading because the earlier chapters of Fellowship were kind of slow moving. Last part I remember reading was the hobbits meeting an old man in the woods who helped them escape from tree roots.

Sounds like Frodo's been holding the ring too long. At least he didn't reach Gollum/Smeagel levels.
Seriously though, I had stopped reading because the earlier chapters of Fellowship were kind of slow moving. Last part I remember reading was the hobbits meeting an old man in the woods who helped them escape from tree roots.
Wait. You didn't even get to the Fellowship?
28 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Wait. You didn't even get to the Fellowship?

Sad but true. Frodo and company have been stuck in the woods for months now.

Re-watching the first movie has renewed my interest in reading it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
Sad but true. Frodo and company have been stuck in the woods for months now.
Re-watching the first movie has renewed my interest in reading it.
In the woods of the Liberl Kingdom?
1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

In the woods of the Liberl Kingdom? emoji12.png

Whatever woods were in chapter 6 and 7.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Hmmm... 558d0fb0635ebd40cb0a2e5efb40878c.jpg

That map is from that game? Didn't remember that obviously. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

The Liberl Kingdom was the setting, yup! Haha! a0edb3abe196f0f00d6dbbabd9cb776c.jpg

Sneaky work editing out the logo in the bottom left.

Wait a minute...good sir, this is a topic for reading books, not these "video games." Begone with your drivel and map!

2 hours ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

I remember when you me and Zenith all tried reading it. I feel I was the only one to succeed. Keep at it, it became one of my favorites.

I succeeded as well and enjoyed it very much. Haven't gotten around to watching the movies after finishing the books though.

I'm currently reading Origin by Dan Brown, after polishing off a couple of Crichton novels over Christmas.

Good luck with the Lord of the Rings. I think it'll be easier to keep it going once you get a little further in.

Today I read Rose Corcoran's Love and Chaos, a light tale about goblin matrimonial treachery. It's got some good fantasy worldbuilding in it for something so short.

It also does that Japanese bit, where all the chapters have some kind of unit in their name; the units in this story are Duels to the Death.

Edited by JaybirdC
19 minutes ago, King Zenith said:

I succeeded as well and enjoyed it very much. Haven't gotten around to watching the movies after finishing the books though.

I'm currently reading Origin by Dan Brown, after polishing off a couple of Crichton novels over Christmas.

Good luck with the Lord of the Rings. I think it'll be easier to keep it going once you get a little further in.

Clearly I was the weakest link of the Fellowship we started...

Jokes aside, I think you're totally right Zenith. I love the detail Tolkein puts into his work, but there were spots in the early chapters I felt really heavy eyed with how slow things were moving.

I'm almost done with Hero of Ages, and then I'm going to finish Ready Player One before the movie comes out next month. I was halfway through it when I sidetracked.

2 hours ago, eal said:

What comes next for you?

To paraphrase Musashi "What will you do after becoming strong?"

Nana, I'll start it when I get into the mood for some more manga, I'd burn out reading it back to back with Vagabond(327 Chapters!). I'd want to read it with another series too, like I did with Monster. I am always, and eternally, a sucker for good shonen, wanted to read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Though I did put Kingdom on hold at chapter 53. Will not be returning to that one for a long while(500 chapters!! :O) . I always ask you for recommendations anyway, tell me what you think of these if you read them before:

20th Century Boys

Goodnight Punpun

Real

Billy Bat

Pluto

Slam Dunk

I don’t read Naoki Urasawa manga so I can’t speak for half your list. I just know that his fans like all of his manga so if you liked Monster you’d likely also like all his other works.

Also never read Real, but I do know it’s in the same weird nebulous space occupied by Vagabond. That space being, “not done, but not putting out more story.” So if you read it be prepared to wait forever for new chapters.

I’ve read Punpun and I would consider it among the greatest manga I’ve read, but it is...aggressively tough to read. Not depressing but...it’s hard to explain. It’s very quick to read. This is an extreme example but one chapter was pretty much just two page spreads with no text for about 12 pages of a character running on a beach.

If you’re afraid of burnout, Nana is a poor next choice. Like I mentioned before, it’s presentation is very shojo/josei. Words crammed in tight with limited backgrounds (a lot of non-interiors are photographs with a filter), so it would take forever to read from where the anime left off.

If you’re burned out in general, heavy works like the ones on your list might be a bad idea. Something light and breezy would be good. A shonen genre thing.

Alright, tonight I return to the Lord of the Rings. I've got the DQ playlist all ready for reading (it's the closet thing I currently have on my iPod to classical music) so I can have some somewhat matching fantasy music.

Hopefully once the hobbits meet up with Aragorn I'll find myself not wanting to put the book down.

• 2 weeks later...

I dragged my feet through the rest of Dracula. There’s an anime meme (literally, there’s a page for it on Know Your Meme) about characters wanting to protect a girl’s smile. This feels like the OG “I want to protect that smile” because every character was motivated by the need to save Mina Harker. Half the dialogue was Van Helsing tripping over his balls to praise her for her virtues, as well as everyone else’s virtues for that matter.

Speaking of Van Helsing, how the hell did this guy become a relevant figure in pop culture? I don’t think I read a single line of dialogue from him that wasn’t either overly long explanations or planning, or broken English. I’d also put the blame on him for having things escalate as far as they did in the early stages because he wasn’t being cautious enough when he needed to be with his preparations, but at the same time was overly cautious in explaining the situation to people.

• 1 month later...

Dug out my old Naruto and Monthly Shonen Jump volumes. I bet you I can read the whole thing in 2 months starting on the 30th.