What are you reading?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished Book Four from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Started Book Five, Fires From Heaven. 

It's still really funny and I feel like it's gotten even more absurd than ever before, but the current arc is moving really slow for some reason. It feels like it's near the end, but then something ha

Finished Fires of Heaven (Book 5, Wheel of Time) Began Lord of Chaos (Book 6, Wheel of Time)

Posted Images

^Wasn't that the book Nioh was based off of?

Right so on the Fate/Stay Night front, I beat the Fate route, it's nice. Saber gets more development here than in Unlimited Blade Works, as to be expected. I'm contemplating whether to go through UBW again, this time in VN form, or skip straight to Heaven's Feel.

34 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

^Wasn't that the book Nioh was based off of?

Right so on the Fate/Stay Night front, I beat the Fate route, it's nice. Saber gets more development here than in Unlimited Blade Works, as to be expected. I'm contemplating whether to go through UBW again, this time in VN form, or skip straight to Heaven's Feel.

The game is like 100 hours long, save yourself some time and just jump to Heaven's feel. I doubt there's much extra info that'll make worth playing UBW.

And actually, Nioh and Shogun got there inspiration from William Adams, the sailor who become one of the first Western samurai. They're both inspired by him instead of one by the other.

The weird thing about Shogun is that it feels like a political fantasy akin to A Song of Ice and Fire books, but it's not an imaginary setting with a made up culture or values but an actual real country that had those values in the 1600s. It's just in the way the culture is framed, which is meant to be alien to the European characters as well as the readers that would presumably also be Western. I feel the author did a great job with that culture shock.

I'm catching up on Michael Crichton books that seem to have been released after his death.  I had thought I read everything he had published, but I recently came across some "new" stuff.

So, reading Pirate Latitudes right now and then will move on to Dragon Teeth when that's done.  Quite enjoying it so far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Reality is Broken. I highly recommend it for anyone who is into game design type of stuff or in a management position.

I recently finished The Unexpected Enlightenment of Rachel Griffin by L. Jagi Lamplighter, which was  interesting. It's a riff on a Harry Potter-style world, with a secret society of mages who send their children off to boarding school, but rather than dealing with the fallout of a few local evil sorcerers, the books (there are supposed to be six books, four already published) have a more cosmic, Ragnarok-esque scope. Also, I'm pretty sure Satan is preying on some of the kids, here.

I am currently trying to finish one of the Pellucidar books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, part of the old pulp tradition. It's an engaging little adventure, even if some of the names are old (but I'm spoiled on early comicbooks running pulp conventions ragged).

Edited by JaybirdC

Pretty much everything related to Attack on Titan is being sold as a Humble Bundle for about $18. That’s 22 volumes of the main series, most every spin-off (and there are many), and some extras.

4 minutes ago, eal said:

Pretty much everything related to Attack on Titan is being sold as a Humble Bundle for about $18. That’s 22 volumes of the main series, most every spin-off (and there are many), and some extras.

So they're basically giving it away.

1 hour ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

So they're basically giving it away.

No, they were basically giving away Fairy Tail. Like 50 volumes for like $18.

Edited by eal

Looking for some book recommendations. Perhaps something educational

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

4adf675b7f8e4f88f38448daf65383bd.jpg

Am I though? Because it’s called the “Kama Sutra,” autocorrect just changed it to “Karma.” Surprised no one caught it.

Almost finished with "The Hero of Ages", third part of the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

24 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

^I thought it was an intentional part of some nuanced satire you cooked up.

I’m glad that I’m at least able to give off that impression.

Right so, I've finished Heaven's Feel. I'll give my quick thoughts on it. Though I will write a bit more on it later.

Basically, from the ending I got, which is the Normal Ending and I hear many fans actually prefer the Normal Ending, because the True Ending involves a Deus Ex Machina that doesn't fit in with the rest of the route's tone, and it's a little too slice of lifey. This entire route is basically what would happen if Shirou went against his ideals. I've realized that, Shirou's complexes are really a mechanism so that he can maintain a somewhat normal state of mind. Heaven's Feel is basically a set of circumstances that made it impossible for Shirou to even try to live normally. I think Shirou really made the best of what he had with his state of mind being so warped. I guess I like how this route kind of reaffirms my take on Unlimited Blade Works, that Shirou going after his ideals was not wrong, but I could just be seeing what I want to see. Anyway I like it, even better than Unlimited Blade Works, of course I like the Shirou in Unlimited Blade Works a lot better, but Heaven's Feel overall was a more interesting look into the story. More interesting things to say, better themes and the like.

I can’t believe I read all of Shogun, a 1100+ page book, in a little over a month. It was probably the most engrossing book I’ve read.

Next I’ll be reading Rachel Rising, a comic by the Strangers in Paradise guy I’ve been itching to get to. The omnibus edition contained all 42 issues for about 40.

Okay so, Chapter 312 of Vagabond and Chapter 131 of Monster. Monster has been an absolute thrillride. I'll be able to polish off these two at relatively the same time and have room for Nana and another series. I'm thinking Goodnight Punpun. 

I'm going to start reading the Lord of the Rings again. I'm hoping to at least read a chapter a day, but I need some music to go with my reading.

9 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I'm going to start reading the Lord of the Rings again. I'm hoping to at least read a chapter a day, but I need some music to go with my reading.

I remember when you me and Zenith all tried reading it. I feel I was the only one to succeed. Keep at it, it became one of my favorites.