What are you reading?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished Book Four from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Started Book Five, Fires From Heaven. 

It's still really funny and I feel like it's gotten even more absurd than ever before, but the current arc is moving really slow for some reason. It feels like it's near the end, but then something ha

Finished Fires of Heaven (Book 5, Wheel of Time) Began Lord of Chaos (Book 6, Wheel of Time)

Posted Images

It's October, again, so another stab at reading classic horror.  I'm rereading Dracula this time.  Last year I got about halfway through, hoping ti finish the job this time.

It's October, again, so another stab at reading classic horror. I'm rereading Dracula this time. Last year I got about halfway through, hoping ti finish the job this time.

I love that book.

It's October, again, so another stab at reading classic horror. I'm rereading Dracula this time. Last year I got about halfway through, hoping ti finish the job this time.

I actually tried doing that one year. Couldn't do it. Too dry. Instead, I started reading Stephen King books but I've already experienced most of his horror worth reading either by reading it or watching a movie version of it.

Started reading some of the DC Universe Rebirth stuff. Starting with the Justice League.

I really need to get back into The Great Hunt as well. I got through about a hundred pages and haven't picked it up in months.

I'm reading almost none of Rebirth. Just Wonder Woman and Batwoman. I don't have much of an opinion on Batman, I don't care how popular his event and main series is.

I'm likely to only read a few Legacy books as well. The ones I'm already reading, basically.

Reading Dan Brown's new book: Origin. Saw it was out, so figured I'd give it a read. Afterwards I want to get back to some Koontz books, haven't read him since Odd Thomas ended. Been reading a lot of J D Robb's In Death series recently after catching up with Scarpetta last spring. I'm annoyed by those books, so that group of 4 might be the last I do.

I'm reading almost none of Rebirth. Just Wonder Woman and Batwoman. I don't have much of an opinion on Batman, I don't care how popular his event and main series is.

I'm likely to only read a few Legacy books as well. The ones I'm already reading, basically.

Have you seen the new, "Metal," series?

There is a main plot and a bunch of spin-offs. I bought #1 of one of the spin-offs for my brother. It's called Red Death. I think it's about Batman stealing the speed-force from the Flash.

There is a main plot and a bunch of spin-offs. I bought #1 of one of the spin-offs for my brother. It's called Red Death. I think it's about Batman stealing the speed-force from the Flash.

Zero interest. No point in reading an event comic if you don't follow any of the series it touches.

Zero interest. No point in reading an event comic if you don't follow any of the series it touches.

Damn, Eal....

No one can rain on a parade quite like you....

Damn, Eal....

I mean, I hear it's good so I'm glad for the people who are interested. I personally don't wanna read events if I don't care about the stakes. Since Age of Ultron, I've only read Secret Wars and Secret Empire, and that's because I cared about the stakes in them.

Damn, Eal....

I mean, I hear it's good so I'm glad for the people who are interested. I personally don't wanna read events if I don't care about the stakes. Since Age of Ultron, I've only read Secret Wars and Secret Empire, and that's because I cared about the stakes in them.

Understandable

I don't mind dipping in and out of a series for stories I hear are good. Sometimes I have to do a little research for certain contextual things, but for the most part I still really enjoy it all.

Edited by cprmauldin

Highly recommend Goodnight Punpun if you wanna feel depressed for a few days. Hard to read but compelling all the same. I have to laugh, there's a character in the story that wants to create a manga that will stick with people longer then a few fleeting moments, and Inio Asano achieved that with Punpun.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna signal boost for the comic The Clean Room. Basically, a culty self-help organization with an enigmatic leader who may or may not be trying to save the world from some sort of invasion. Some horrific imagery, particularly this one guy whose body was contorted and altered to look like a horse.

18 issues long, so it's decently short but long enough to give itself room to breath.

I started reading the Accel World light novels. I don't know why I picked this series in particular though. I'm not overly compelled to see how the story continues past the anime, I'm told the character relationships stay mostly the same, the author isn't bad, but he also isn't great, and it's grossly long (21 books at 200+ pages each). Maybe I just really liked the main pair. And some of the writing is pretty decent.

• 2 weeks later...

Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua. Not 100% reading since it's a visual novel, but it's close enough to justify talking about it on here I think. Only way I really have to experience the Fate and the (complete)Heaven's Feel route right now.

I'm currently reading The Silmarillion.

Ainulindalë is my favorite part so far. I really like how the Valar of Ilúvatar musically brought Arda into existence. I think that is a beautiful and poetic way to create a world/universe.

I've read Valaquenta and I've started Quenta Silmarillion. Good times.

Edited by dqfan2012
  • Like 1
On 10/2/2017 at 10:25 PM, eal said:

I actually tried doing that one year. Couldn't do it. Too dry. Instead, I started reading Stephen King books but I've already experienced most of his horror worth reading either by reading it or watching a movie version of it.

I gave Dracula another go. Still not good. It's dated in the worst way. I can mentally project in my head the way this would work as a play, with the melodramatic dialogue, plot conveniences, and large cast of characters and limited locations. The diary format works against it in a lot of ways. It cuts out the tension when a character is writing what happened in their day or claims to be writing up to the moment. And I can't stand reading Van Helsing's dialogue. I can't follow what he says at all.

Meanwhile, I'm getting grossed out by Accel World. I knew there was like a little 10-year-old girl character in the series from watching the anime and that these books are for Japanese teenagers, not American adults, but the over-emphasis on the physical appearance of the girl is incredibly uncomfortable and the way she ends up in weird situations with a 13-year-old boy is also uncomfortable. Might drop in favor of Re:Zero.

I've been reading the entirety of the second volume of Daredevil the whole year. I ran into a wall when a large chunk of the story was hard to find, but I ended up finding them all, and I've torn through 50 issues so far. The early 25 issues are basically perfect. I'd say the story that introduced Echo is probably one of my favorite comic book storylines.

It's fun thinking once I've read the whole thing that I'll have read all of Daredevil's story from 1998-present.

Been in a heavy reading mood lately. Books about self-improvement really. 

Finished "Get Your #$*! Together" by Sarah Knight. Her sense of humor is a wee bit juvenile, considering the word "#$*!" is used over 300 times, but that's exactly why I picked it. Sometimes you need someone who feels like a goofy friend when it comes to figuring out personal stuff. The advice was good too. 

Now I'm reading, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Wanna be less bitter and learn helpful tips to impress employers. 

• Like 1