cprmauldin

What are you reading?

Haven't been reading many books but I've been reading up on what's going on in the world, mainly science. Trying to expand my knowledge. I do have a book on linguistics that I read from time to time.

So how is the Fellowship doing?  I am getting near the end of The Two Towers now.  Still totally digging it.

It's been slow going. I'm trying to read at least a chapter a day, but... :/

Slow-going is a good way to describe my reading through any novel lately....

I really should make reading more of a priority.

Been trying to read like 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 of a book each night. Pretty hard with all the deaths around here though and the social responsibilities.

May is almost here, and with it I think It's time for a re-reading of my tied-for-favorite book beside Dune:  Watership Down.

It's so much more than a movie that traumatizes children whose naive parents thought a warren of rabbits adventuring through the English countryside would be... you know... family friendly.

There's a mythology the rabbits in the story believe in that teaches cleverness, realistic optimism in the face of adversity, and winning the day through wit as opposed to blunt force.  I totally back that.

Scoff if you will about my favored yarn, and all it's precognizant bunnies ( Fiver is pretty awesome )  I'll be hopping along the woods of Kingsclere and Stratford-on-Avon with a fleet-footed band of steadfast wanderers in search of a home.  Oh, and one seagull.

I've tried getting into audiobooks since I sit at a desk 8 hours a day and need things to listen to.

However, Audible quite frankly feels like a rip off. They want $15 a month so you can listen to only 1 book PER MONTH. I could finish some audiobooks in one day if I cut out YouTube and only listened to that book all day at work. I cant simply wait a full month for another book when they're taking $15 each time. I thought they would have some type of library access like Netflix. At the very least they could give you four or five credits a month. 1 does NOT cut it. It relaly pisses me off too because there's NO other solution for audio books out there aside from just buying them outright, which can be expensive.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Been trying to read like 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 of a book each night. Pretty hard with all the deaths around here though and the social responsibilities.

Wow. You can burn through lots of books at that pace. I would be happy if I could finish 1/4 of my current novel in a week.

Wow. You can burn through lots of books at that pace. I would be happy if I could finish 1/4 of my current novel in a week.
Well, to be honest I spend most nights out or with my little cousin trying to pry her away from the TV to do some gardening. Her dad's not around much. So maybe only finish a book every 2-3 weeks. Edited by Plattym3

Well, to be honest I spend most nights out or with my little cousin trying to pry her away from the TV to do some gardening. Her dad's not around much. So maybe only finish a book every 2-3 weeks.
I generally read at a pace of a book every 2-3 years.

Finished The Two Towers now and will be moving right on with The Return of the King.  One thing I found interesting is the way the parallel stories are told.  You go through the whole sequence with Helm's Deep and Isengard before going all the way back and carrying on with Frodo and Sam.  The stories were intertwined in the movies for obvious reasons, but I really liked the separate telling in the books better.  Looking forward to the last book, and then I think I am due for a Lord of the Rings / Hobbit movie marathon.

Well, to be honest I spend most nights out or with my little cousin trying to pry her away from the TV to do some gardening. Her dad's not around much. So maybe only finish a book every 2-3 weeks.

I don't think I have even a year to read!  Just finished up some good fishing books and books about Judo or Karate or something like that.

I don't know if I'm that bad lol. I probably get through 2-3 a year.

The importance of me reading all of A Game of Thrones in about a month cannot be overstated. I was hoping to do the same with A Clash of Kings though...

I need to resume reading that. I only ever finished the first book.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I need to pick up some books on bug catching, I'm not having as much success with that.  It's killing my determination to fish.

Just finished the first book of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  I started Children of Dune yesterday.

Currently reading a crap ton of history books for the upcoming college year. History of political philosophy was difficult as hell to get through although The Just Cause, a book on the American War of Independence is a pleasant enough read.  Now all I need is a book on imperialism and globalism, should be fun.

On the leisure side of things I'm currently reading Midnight Tides, the fifth entry in the Malazan series and just like every previous entry it is obtuse and difficult stuff. Although this being the fifth entry, I'm finally understanding some of the concepts and mythos of the series and I can spend less time deciphering the text... even if I still deciphering the text. It also helps that the characters are endearing and that the prose really makes everything appealing. I also want to do another reread of a song of Ice and Fire. After seeing the dumpster fire that was Season 6 of the Game of Thrones show, I need to read something that'll restore my faith in this franchise.

I just learned about a book series called "The War with No Name" by Robert Repino, wherein a race of hyperintelligent ants brings intelligence and bipedal movement to the other animals of Earth to fight humanity, then they rebel against the ants and humans alike.  Kind of Post-apolcalypse Animal Farm, or, as one author put it  "Fantastic Mr. Fox with advanced weaponry".

I'll be ordering the first book, Mort(e) [sic], soon, after my next payday.

Currently reading:

Master of Whitestorm - Janny Wurts

Legend - David Gemmell

I went to a nearby bookstore in search of Mort(e), and found it right where I wanted it to be.  This is not a happy book by any means, but it's a riveting one, so far.

I've seen all manner of beast and man do awful things to one another, and this first chapter was just the recollections of the former housecat, Mort(e) [formerly Sebastian], before he gained sentience.

Switching between Saint Seiya, and Death Note for my friend

Reading 1984 again by George Orwell. When I first read it I honestly felt it was an important message, and it still hits me hard now. I can relate it to a few things that have happened since I've read it, like that kid who got eight years in jail for some stupid facebook post.

Reading 1984 again by George Orwell. When I first read it I honestly felt it was an important message, and it still hits me hard now. I can relate it to a few things that have happened since I've read it, like that kid who got eight years in jail for some stupid facebook post.

I mean, it sold out when in bookstores and rose to the top of the charts on Amazon when Trump was elected so I guess a lot of people agree that it is an important message.

Reading 1984 again by George Orwell. When I first read it I honestly felt it was an important message, and it still hits me hard now. I can relate it to a few things that have happened since I've read it, like that kid who got eight years in jail for some stupid facebook post.

I mean, it sold out when in bookstores and rose to the top of the charts on Amazon when Trump was elected so I guess a lot of people agree that it is an important message.

Makishima Shougo would also agree.

Years ago I read a large chunk of 'salem's Lot, then stopped, only occasionally returning to read a few more pages and stopping again. I was bored one day and opened it back up and, lo and behold, I stopped just short of when it starts to pick up. Now I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot. I've been tearing through it during breaks at work.

Edited by eal

I don't really read story books or comics very much. Like I said in my introduction though, I enjoy academics and language learning so I have books on that, so I guess I can speak on that.

I currently have English (grammar and crap) and Japanese books and an some secondary reference books for Arabic and Chinese

My English books are mostly all by the same company, Princeton Review, but I also have one Grammar book by Barron.

They are as follows: Reading Smart, Word Smart, Grammar Smart & E-Z Grammar

I've been through pretty much all of Reading Smart except for the extra reading exercises for more practice. It's just a book for learning different approaches for reading different texts effectively for work and school. It included a lot of neat stuff like science textbooks, humanities and even articles. It also had some consise writing exercises like summarizing and idea mapping.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go through all of Word Smart, but it is a good book. It's a vocabulary learning book and contains a lot of more advanced vocabulary. I especially liked learning words like appotheosis, amorphous and bastion. I do have to get into it though, as I also have to buy the second book "More Word Smart" as well. The book also has themed vocabulary like science, economics, root words and foreign words.

Grammar Smart is a good grammar book. It's lessons are a bit more concise than E-Z Grammar, but that's actually good, as I used it alongside for reinforcement and to add on with some unique things the book taught like redundancy, poor comparisons, absolute adjectives and idioms.

E-Z Grammar is again more content heavy and goes into more nuances such as the nominative, possessive and objective cases of pronouns as well as all the classes of pronouns as well as emphasizing different types of phrases, clauses and sentences.

As for my language books, I have Japanese from Zero books 1-3 as well as Chineasy, Chineasy Everyday and Essential Arabic Vocabulary

I'm finished with Japanese from Zero 1, and it pretty much reviewed everything I learned from the first course I used (Mango Languages Japanese) to learn Japanese while further building my vocabulary and understanding, which was great. Japanese from Zero 2 is currently the one I'm on, and I find it just as good. It's just as it is supposed to be, just a continuiation of the first book, and going into more advanced stuff. The books have some pretty routine exercises with stuff like questions, conversations with their translations and reading comprehension, but they do mix things up a bit with other exercises and even try to teach you something new with their secondary learning reading passages. The grammar explanations are very good too. However, I have had to take matter into my own hands as well by reviewing vocabulary and grammar once and a while until it sticks.

Chineasy and Chineasy Everyday I use for Kanji as well as the Chinese Hanzi (Chinese equivalent name of Kanji). I also just bought it because I love Chineasy and wanted to support the author Shao Lan (just as I also bought Japanese from Zero to support the author George Trombley as well). It's a very good book even if you don't want to learn Chinese. It just goes a lot into showing the beauty in the language and its Hanzi that is often overlooked by many. I especially like Chineasy Everyday as it emphasizes some of the logical character construction used for everyday things such as "cellphone" and "computer". Shao Lan also has announced about her new board game 

Essential Arabic Vocabulary is really just an Arabic vocabulary reference book, but it also has sections on things like learning goals, basic grammar and phrases etc. I dabble in it a bit, but I haven't be SUPER into Arabic like that, but I have been using it if I forget a word, want to learn new ones or something, but that's about it. One cool thing about the book is that words are exclusively in Arabic script with just diacritics for pronunciation assistance, which is kinda good and kinda bad. I mean, I know the script, but I see that being a turnoff for people who might just be starting out and not have any idea how to read anything in the book. 

I also have the Complete box set of Living Language Chinese. However, I am not yet using that and instead using another course to study Chinese first and then start using those text/workbooks. I have peaked into the books in the book set, and it doesn't go in depth on the meanings of words or anything like the current course I use.

I'm probably going to start getting some science and math books as well as some more language books. However, school is coming up so I might have to lay off the self-study a bit, which is sad. I don't plan on stopping though. In fact, why would I? A vast majority of these studies are improving my grades! :D