What are you reading?

In addition to my love of Dragon Quest and gaming, I'm also quite fond of books. Typically, I don't read anything too technical or intellectually stimulating, unless it has to do with work or related education.

Anyways, anyone else like to read? What are you guys reading these days? (Comics and Periodicals count too!)

As for me:

Eye of the World - First book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I was turned on to the series by a close buddy. I'm about 550 pages into the 800-page fantasy novel and moving at a slow pace through it. It is very well written, simple in nature, and extremely entertaining and deep with it's character development. I'm looking forward to finishing it and continuing on with the 13-book series.

Suicide Squad (New 52): Volume 4 - Just finished this one. No other comic does it quite like the squad does. Glad I got into this series.

On Deck:

Aquaman (New 52): Volume 3 - The new 52 did a great remake on this classic hero. He is truly a dark hero, and a badass. Can't wait to get this read and move on with the series.

Green Lantern (New 52): Volume 1 - So far I'm well into Suicide Squad (Vol 4), Aquaman (Vol 3), and The Flash (Vol 4). All of them are very well written and I expect the same from Green Lantern. Hopefully I'll get through all the seven individual justice league heroes and I can start the Justice Leage (New 52) comics as well.

The Great Hunt - The next book of in the Wheel of Time series. I'll pick this up when I finish Eye of The World.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished Book Four from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Started Book Five, Fires From Heaven. 

It's still really funny and I feel like it's gotten even more absurd than ever before, but the current arc is moving really slow for some reason. It feels like it's near the end, but then something ha

Finished Fires of Heaven (Book 5, Wheel of Time) Began Lord of Chaos (Book 6, Wheel of Time)

Posted Images

Right now I'm reading your comment its very interesting.

If comics count I suppose manga could too. Right now Im reading My Hero Academia, trying to catch up with it.

I've been reading Dragon Quest VII. With all the text in that game it's like reading several novels and then some.

Otherwise I've been meaning to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy (you have no idea how long it took just to properly type that sentence, damn auto correct). With my new soundtracks I may just start that since I like to listen to RPG music when I read.

I considered creating a "what manga are you reading?" discussion but decided against it when I realized it sort of fell between the anime one and the book one and so I mostly just post manga reads in the anime discussion since it gets more love than the book one.

Interesting that you mentioned reading some New 52 comics in the comic discussion topic (http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34362&do=findComment&comment=462820) since I'm in the midst of a little catch-up with the New 52 myself. I wanted to go back and binge-read all the books I heard were great. I'm pretty much skipping over all Superman and Green Lantern books what with all the crossovers. So far, I've read I, Vampire, Swamp Thing, and I just recently polished off Batwoman. Batwoman was a bit of a struggle by the end what with the writer/artist change, but I've never seen a drop-off in quality the way I have in Wonder Woman. The switch from Brian Azzarello to Meredith Finch is a good place to drop it and never look back. There are still maybe 4 or 5 more books I want to read before I'm satisfied.

I'm not currently reading any novels, although I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child recently. (It's a play script, but whatever.)

I'm reading Scooby Apocolypse if comics count. I've never been a big comic reader, but some of my friends at work have been reading this recently, and it looked interesting, so last night I borrowed issues 1-3 from my old work roommate.

I've been meaning to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy as well. I like The Hobbit, but every time I've tried to read TLotR, it's just bored me until I stopped. What a shame, I enjoyed the movies.

I first tried reading the Lord of the Rings back in middle school, I could never get past the part when they were in the forest, it was like I was just reading pages and pages of someone describing walking through a forest, though I forget so much from middle school, so maybe if I tried it again now Id enjoy it more.

I considered creating a "what manga are you reading?" discussion but decided against it when I realized it sort of fell between the anime one and the book one and so I mostly just post manga reads in the anime discussion since it gets more love than the book one.

Interesting that you mentioned reading some New 52 comics in the comic discussion topic (http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34362&do=findComment&comment=462820) since I'm in the midst of a little catch-up with the New 52 myself. I wanted to go back and binge-read all the books I heard were great. I'm pretty much skipping over all Superman and Green Lantern books what with all the crossovers. So far, I've read I, Vampire, Swamp Thing, and I just recently polished off Batwoman. Batwoman was a bit of a struggle by the end what with the writer/artist change, but I've never seen a drop-off in quality the way I have in Wonder Woman. The switch from Brian Azzarello to Meredith Finch is a good place to drop it and never look back. There are still maybe 4 or 5 more books I want to read before I'm satisfied.

Well, looks like I missed some good discussion in that Comics thread. Oh well, hopefully with it's broader horizons, this thread will produce some good discussion as well.

As for the New 52, I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend Aquaman, the Flash, and Suicide Squad. I can't seem to put em down when I read em (I buy the volumes from Barnes and Noble that include several comics in one book). I tend to jam through them in one to two sessions, they're so darn good.

I'd say the best is Aquaman. The comics spread so much light on the underdog of a hero he is. They also include some pretty witty humor.

Green Arrow isn't bad. I read the first volume. It was entertaining, but not enough to keep it at the top of my list.

There really wasn't much happening in the comics discussion. Mostly me talking to myself.

I prefer to read the issues themselves instead of buying trades if I can help it, and thankfully my local comic store is touted as the biggest in New England and has a ridiculous collection of back issues, so I don't usually have any problems getting physical copies of New 52 books at the original cover price. The series in absolutely going to be reading are Animal Man, Dial H, Voodoo, Batman and Robin, and Justice League Dark. I was considering Flash and Aquaman eventually, but I've heard that Suicide Squad is such a roller coaster in quality and I have no love or interest in any of the characters or creators that have been attatched to it. There were a few more I was interested in giving a shot down the line, but I read a lot weekly as-is so I'm not in much of a rush to pile on.

Edited by eal

I've been reading fan fiction for a while, as I haven't really been to the library much lately. Currently enjoying this gem:

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/9683169/1/

However, if you want to give it a look, might wanna read this first:

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/7476808/1/Phantom-of-Truth

Currently reading a Star Trek novel to go alone with my rewatch.

I've been reading Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, but every October I try to read some horror, like Lovecraft, or, perhaps this year, finally, the original Dracula.

COMIC BOOKS: On a monthly schedule I'm reading Scarlet Witch (best comic no one is buying), Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman, Silk, Venom, Carnage (great horror book written by a classic Spider-Man writer), Daredevil, Revival, Wonder Woman, and Detective Comics. Comics I'm binge reading include all She-Hulk comics (right now I'm on Slott's second series), the second Daredevil series, and now that I've finished Batwoman, Animal Man might be next.

MANGA: Ajin, Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostile Behavior, Attack on Titan, Princess Jellyfish, Seven Deadly Sins, Noragami, My Love Story!!, Shishunki: Bitter Change, And Yet the Town Moves, re-reading Tokyo Ghoul as the volumes come out while I read :re weekly, Space Brothers, The Promised Neverland, and Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches. It sounds like a lot but I've caught up with nearly all of them either as they release in America or whenever scans go up. I usually only read scanlations if, and only if, it's not available legally in America yet or I buy it as it comes out. As I wait for new chapters, since a lot of them are monthly, I binge a completed series. This time around I'm read I"s, one of the very first manga I ever read, yet somehow never finished reading. I started from the beginning and have so far nearly caught up to where I last was. 2016 seems to be the year I revisit things from 2005 I never finished. Thankfully, it still holds up and it wasn't just nostalgia making me think it was better than it is. Certainly one of the better romantic shonen manga you'll read.

ACTUAL ADULT BOOKS: I actually have a pretty big library of books to read but there's so little time in the day to sit down, and I just don't have that level of attention anymore so bit-sized stories like comics and manga are ideal for me. But I am reading A Game of Thrones (as in the first book), which is a book in the part of a series that personifies the exact opposite of what I just said, 'Salem's Lot for October, and I'm sitting on the first volume of Legend of the Galactic Heroes for later on.

COMIC BOOKS: On a monthly schedule I'm reading Scarlet Witch (best comic no one is buying), Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman, Silk, Venom, Carnage (great horror book written by a classic Spider-Man writer), Daredevil, Revival, Wonder Woman, and Detective Comics. Comics I'm binge reading include all She-Hulk comics (right now I'm on Slott's second series), the second Daredevil series, and now that I've finished Batwoman, Animal Man might be next.

MANGA: Ajin, Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostile Behavior, Attack on Titan, Princess Jellyfish, Seven Deadly Sins, Noragami, My Love Story!!, Shishunki: Bitter Change, And Yet the Town Moves, re-reading Tokyo Ghoul as the volumes come out while I read :re weekly, Space Brothers, The Promised Neverland, and Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches. It sounds like a lot but I've caught up with nearly all of them either as they release in America or whenever scans go up. I usually only read scanlations if, and only if, it's not available legally in America yet or I buy it as it comes out. As I wait for new chapters, since a lot of them are monthly, I binge a completed series. This time around I'm read I"s, one of the very first manga I ever read, yet somehow never finished reading. I started from the beginning and have so far nearly caught up to where I last was. 2016 seems to be the year I revisit things from 2005 I never finished. Thankfully, it still holds up and it wasn't just nostalgia making me think it was better than it is. Certainly one of the better romantic shonen manga you'll read.

ACTUAL ADULT BOOKS: I actually have a pretty big library of books to read but there's so little time in the day to sit down, and I just don't have that level of attention anymore so bit-sized stories like comics and manga are ideal for me. But I am reading A Game of Thrones (as in the first book), which is a book in the part of a series that personifies the exact opposite of what I just said, 'Salem's Lot for October, and I'm sitting on the first volume of Legend of the Galactic Heroes for later on.

Yeah, it certainly takes me a while to get through a novel these days. I think I've been reading Eye of the World since like August. A realistic approximation of when I'll finish it is early November. I get about an hour or two of solid reading time a week. I could read a bit more If I wasn't also into several video games and other things.

Its weird being in a a point in life where free time is such a commodity. I need to take some time off soon so I can enjoy my hobbies and catch up on my gaming and reading.

Last week I put Honor Harrington and Rama on the shelf, and started reading Dracula by Bram Stoker.  It's actually fascinating, in that it's written as a collection of confiscated diaries, letters, news clippings, and telegrams.  I know Stoker was not the first of his day to do this, but it still almost makes this a precursor to "found footage" horror, producing the subgenre about 100 years before it got popular.

Read it. Much better than the anime. And they changed enough that it's almost a new experience. Everything after the first volume is totally different. Things get much more insane in the second half of the first series than it did in anime, which instead opted to slow it down. :re's been a good follow up so far as well.

That sounds good, I always loved how Tokyo Ghoul was able to build up hype, so hearing it gets more insane, well, I get bit excited. Also is :re like a sequel or some kind of retelling, just curious.

It's a sequel. The previous version ended with unanswered questions. It focuses more on the CCG side of things.

It's also a bit more brutal. In regards to major changes from the manga the events of the last two episodes of the first season as seen in the manga were more in-depth (Kaneki's homelife, some extra Aogiri stuff) and the last few episodes in the second season as seen in the manga were more crazy.

Edited by eal

Well I'm definitely gonna read it as soon as possible, got some heavy things to do in the next two days, so probably on Friday.

The CCG has always intrigued me, they always had this mysterious vibe coming from them,it's cool that they put a focus on them later, jeez I get excited just thinking about it.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Sounds like I know what I'm doing this weekend, I'm gonna need three Red Bulls, a Monster, fanta, frozen pizzas, and my body pillow.. Forget about that last one.

Viz misprinted my copy of Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 9 really bad. The pages are upside down and starts from the back cover instead of the front. It's almost too funny to want to ask for an exchange and it's still readable so whatever.

It's still really funny and I feel like it's gotten even more absurd than ever before, but the current arc is moving really slow for some reason. It feels like it's near the end, but then something happens and then it goes on for a bit longer. Doesn't bother me much though because Individual chapters are still hilarious and if anything it probably reads better in a binge than week to week. A plot thread in particular involving Kiyoshi wearing Hana's underwear leads to some hilarious results.

• Upvote 1