Sign in to follow this  
eal

Maribel Sucks

Problem with a TVTropes page is it lays out everything about a character across an entire franchise in one spot. There are like 20 thousand variants of Saber across every game and show in the franchise. My opinion is formed based solely off the main story as adapted by the anime, including Zero.

The issue is that, while she does have a goal of her own, aside from Zero, in almost every alternate variantion of her, the way she pursues her goal is by helping other people pursue their goals while hers are kept a mystery. Her issues are perpetually unimportant in the context of the series and they don’t matter aside for the very ending of the various endings of the main series.This is because all of these details about her (who she is and her goals) are kept under wraps as a surprise and her identity is revealed as King Arthur when she unleashes her Nobel Phantasm Excalibur towards the tail end of a series.

The most interesting she has ever been is in Zero, where her identity is known pretty much from minute one, and also where she is completely overshadowed by the two other kings in that series.

That doesn't make her a bad character, that just means she's trapped in a bad story.

The story of Fate/stay night is perfectly fine. But if you need to Frankstein together dozens of alternate versions of her to make someone interesting, you don’t have a good character. At least Sakura Matō has all of Heaven’s feel to make her more interesting.

Socialed this out today, hearing the 'Happy Holidays' song I always here the lyric in my head this way

Maribel Nagging.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

When did this turn from Maribel hate to Fate hate?

Edited by Duran

8 minutes ago, Duran said:

When did this turn from Maribel hate to Fate hate?

I don’t hate Fate. I just ain’t gonna rate Saber that great, mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eal said:

IMG_1966.JPG.77325d0370dc8704d656e4bc32caec27.JPG

23 hours ago, eal said:

On 9/24/2018 at 8:09 AM, eal said:

The story of Fate/stay night is perfectly fine. But if you need to Frankstein together dozens of alternate versions of her to make someone interesting, you don’t have a good character. At least Sakura Matō has all of Heaven’s feel to make her more interesting.

She actually is genuinely a good character. The reasoning behind the dozen different versions is not to "make her more interesting," but rather the studio capitalizing off her immense  popularity. That same studio even points it out in a lot (among their other tropes) whenever they're given a chance to have fun and be more comedic.

6 hours ago, Duran said:

She actually is genuinely a good character. The reasoning behind the dozen different versions is not to "make her more interesting," but rather the studio capitalizing off her immense  popularity. That same studio even points it out in a lot (among their other tropes) whenever they're given a chance to have fun and be more comedic.

Maybe I worded it wrong but I never said the millions of variations is to make her more interesting, but that it takes dozens of variations of her to make her an interesting character. Vanilla Saber in Fate/stay night is not that interesting to me, personally.

Maribel is awesome 

Maribel is awesome 
Points to topic title.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:
8 minutes ago, Fates said:
Maribel is awesome 

Points to topic title.

Maybe autocorrect messed up what he meant to say.

I find it hilarious that this thread has being going on for a little bit over 2 years.

But as for Maribel herself, she's not my favorite DQ character any more (ahem that title is tied between Gabo/Ruff and Alena excuse mE), but I do rather like her flaws and strengths. Okay but I am writing a DQ7 AU fic so I'm a little biased anyways.

• Like 2

Queen Maribel-SAMA is awesome.

You guys just can't appreciate real woman.

PLEASE MARIBEL BELITTLE ME MOAR

Serioulsy though, I like her, I like any character that can make me laught.  Everything bad about her is what makes her funny to watch

Edited by Billy MK