Maribel Sucks

Problem with a TVTropes page is it lays out everything about a character across an entire franchise in one spot. There are like 20 thousand variants of Saber across every game and show in the franchise. My opinion is formed based solely off the main story as adapted by the anime, including Zero.

The issue is that, while she does have a goal of her own, aside from Zero, in almost every alternate variantion of her, the way she pursues her goal is by helping other people pursue their goals while hers are kept a mystery. Her issues are perpetually unimportant in the context of the series and they don’t matter aside for the very ending of the various endings of the main series.This is because all of these details about her (who she is and her goals) are kept under wraps as a surprise and her identity is revealed as King Arthur when she unleashes her Nobel Phantasm Excalibur towards the tail end of a series.

The most interesting she has ever been is in Zero, where her identity is known pretty much from minute one, and also where she is completely overshadowed by the two other kings in that series.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maribel doesn't have big enough boobs to get away with being as mean as she is.

Youre the worst.   Maribel is awesome. You can't handle her. Go back your submissive no-personality 2d waifus.   Her costumes are awesome btw. God forbid a character shows self respect

You just want me to go off on someone, don't you eal? Nobody, and I mean nobody, will badmouth Maribel when I'm around. The next person who does will be getting shanked.   None of you know how to ha

Posted Images

The story of Fate/stay night is perfectly fine. But if you need to Frankstein together dozens of alternate versions of her to make someone interesting, you don’t have a good character. At least Sakura Matō has all of Heaven’s feel to make her more interesting.

• 2 months later...

Socialed this out today, hearing the 'Happy Holidays' song I always here the lyric in my head this way

Maribel Nagging.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When did this turn from Maribel hate to Fate hate?

Edited by Duran
8 minutes ago, Duran said:

When did this turn from Maribel hate to Fate hate?

I don’t hate Fate. I just ain’t gonna rate Saber that great, mate.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, eal said:

I don’t hate Fate. I just ain’t gonna rate Saber that great, mate.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:09 AM, eal said:

The story of Fate/stay night is perfectly fine. But if you need to Frankstein together dozens of alternate versions of her to make someone interesting, you don’t have a good character. At least Sakura Matō has all of Heaven’s feel to make her more interesting.

She actually is genuinely a good character. The reasoning behind the dozen different versions is not to "make her more interesting," but rather the studio capitalizing off her immense  popularity. That same studio even points it out in a lot (among their other tropes) whenever they're given a chance to have fun and be more comedic.

6 hours ago, Duran said:

She actually is genuinely a good character. The reasoning behind the dozen different versions is not to "make her more interesting," but rather the studio capitalizing off her immense  popularity. That same studio even points it out in a lot (among their other tropes) whenever they're given a chance to have fun and be more comedic.

Maybe I worded it wrong but I never said the millions of variations is to make her more interesting, but that it takes dozens of variations of her to make her an interesting character. Vanilla Saber in Fate/stay night is not that interesting to me, personally.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:
8 minutes ago, Fates said:
Maribel is awesome 

Points to topic title.

Maybe autocorrect messed up what he meant to say.

I find it hilarious that this thread has being going on for a little bit over 2 years.

But as for Maribel herself, she's not my favorite DQ character any more (ahem that title is tied between Gabo/Ruff and Alena excuse mE), but I do rather like her flaws and strengths. Okay but I am writing a DQ7 AU fic so I'm a little biased anyways.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Queen Maribel-SAMA is awesome.

You guys just can't appreciate real woman.

PLEASE MARIBEL BELITTLE ME MOAR

Serioulsy though, I like her, I like any character that can make me laught.  Everything bad about her is what makes her funny to watch

Edited by Billy MK
  • 2 years later...

So, after finishing the 3DS version of DQ7, I'm reviving this dead behemoth of  thread just to say that Maribel is the best girl, she may be annoying but she clearly progress through the story from a soar tsundere to a sweet one.

Also she seems to be kinder in the French version of the game than in the English one I feel. For exemple:

Spoiler

So, when you go the Regrette-Rien Convent in the 2nd past, and you check Lavender Tombstone, Maribel will ask you:  "If I died, you'd remember me forever and ever, wouldn't you, [hero's name] ?" And if you're not a tsundere yourself you'll obviously say yes. Now, in the english version, she replies with "You would? Good. Well, in that case, I suppose I'd remember you too." which is just a continuation of that annoying side to a quote that was kinda supposed to be emotional.

However, in the French translation she will say (roughly translated) : "You would? Then I'll never forget you either", skipping all that "Good, in that case, I suppose, ..." that made  the thing uncertain. And I don't know, but that made the scene quite emotional for once (in the context of that whole Carraway-Lavander story which was pretty sad I thought).

And just because that quote was better in French (which is a superior language anyway), I will now defend Maribel to the #$*!ing death, come at me.

Edited by Yross
  • Like 2

What were the last 23 pages of comments I read? My eyes need bleach now.

It feels like it's 2016 again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It feels like it's 2016 again.

Sent from Maribel's SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5 years later and Maribel still sucks.
57 minutes ago, eal said:

My magnum opus.

All 23 pages of it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, eal said:

My magnum opus.

Yeah, my only regret in life is not finishing the game when this thread was alive

8 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

5 years later and Maribel still sucks.

this is because of people like you that we can't have nice things !

well this threads lasted 5 years because that's the average time in DQ7 to get to the class system part

• Like 3