SomaQz

Dragon Quest X - Localization Campaign

I made this yesterday, tweeted out today. We will see if I get a nastygram for modifying the logo >.<

dragonqwest_800w.png

• Upvote 1

I made this yesterday, tweeted out today. We will see if I get a nastygram for modifying the logo >.<

dragonqwest_800w.png

Nastygram? Is that like instagram's copyright system like that awful system on YouTube? Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

dragonqwest_800w.png

Nastygram? Is that like instagram's copyright system like that awful system on YouTube?

That or a nice way to say "cease and desist" ;)

Got ya. Square may not like you addressing one of their "beloved franchises," in a negative light.

...I still can't believe SE had the gaul to say DQ was one of their "beloved franchises," when they couldn't bother supporting it for 4 years in the west but now all of a sudden WANT to bring us the games.

• Upvote 3

Good point :thumbsup:

Got ya. Square may not like you addressing one of their "beloved franchises," in a negative light.

...I still can't believe SE had the gaul to say DQ was one of their "beloved franchises," when they couldn't bother supporting it for 4 years in the west but now all of a sudden WANT to bring us the games.

Hmm- you think Operation Hero and the thousands of folks that got riled up while I was working with Drew is a factor?

I'm a bit late to the show but I sent in a ticket. I've also sent in a letter asking about it to Game Informer magazine as well as tweeted Square Enix USA, Nintendo and Square Enix (the main account) requesting it. It's 2019 and honestly I can't believe they're dragging their feet on this. The US MMORPG market is stagnant and DQX has a unique combat system and some fresh mechanics. I'm not saying it'll beat World of Warcraft or anything but like Final Fantasy XIV it would defiantly have a dedicated community. 

Cost is definitely a factor. I've talked to SE staffers at events in the past about this. They weren't able to confirm anything specifically, but hinted at the fact that the fanbase isn't large enough to guarantee a return on the investment involved in localization, servers and maintenance. It's also subscription based, so that cuts back on the amount of the western DQ fanbase that would pay a subscription to play it. Then you have the DQ fans who hate MMOs and refuse to play DQX at all.

Now that was about 2 years ago. It's possible things have changed, and with the new DQ fans brought in by the Smash community they're definitely taking some more changes, such as the DQXI S definitive edition, DQB2, and especially DQ of the Stars, a surprise mobile localization that was previously Japan-only. So who knows? It's possible.

Last we heard from SE on it was hints that Japan was thinking of giving us an offline only version of DQX for western audiences. That news came out sometime last year around the release of DQXI for PS4 (again the news was greeted with mixed reviews from the fans).

Edited by Liamland

Cost is definitely a factor. I've talked to SE staffers at events in the past about this. They weren't able to confirm anything specifically, but hinted at the fact that the fanbase isn't large enough to guarantee a return on the investment involved in localization, servers and maintenance. It's also subscription based, so that cuts back on the amount of the western DQ fanbase that would pay a subscription to play it. Then you have the DQ fans who hate MMOs and refuse to play DQX at all.
Now that was about 2 years ago. It's possible things have changed, and with the new DQ fans brought in by the Smash community they're definitely taking some more changes, such as the DQXI S definitive edition, DQB2, and especially DQ of the Stars, a surprise mobile localization that was previously Japan-only. So who knows? It's possible.
Last we heard from SE on it was hints that Japan was thinking of giving us an offline only version of DQX for western audiences. That news came out sometime last year around the release of DQXI for PS4 (again the news was greeted with mixed reviews from the fans).

Hates MMOs
Won't pay for a subscription

Still describes me of 7 years ago, 2 years ago, and today.

Hates MMOs
Won't pay for a subscription

Still describes me of 7 years ago, 2 years ago, and today.
If you don't like MMOs then DQX is perfect for you. Totally unlike any of the other MMOs I've ever played.

It seems closer to PSO1 to me, from what I can tell.

Or now? DQXI.

Yeah, DQXI Unreal plays incredibly similarly to DQX. The only real differences being that the battle system went back to turn-based instead of active turn-based, and the fact that it's single player only. So many people seem to avoid DQX just because it's an MMO, but really it plays very much like a single player game. You CAN interact with other people, but you can play the whole game without doing so at all - it'll be harder playing solo than with a party, though. You can hire AI party members (taking form as offline players), but unless you are friends with the character that you're trying to hire, they will cost gold. I can't really say wether it's expensive though, as I only hire friends.