SomaQz

Dragon Quest X - Localization Campaign

Sorry if I came off a little hot haha, part of me really just wanted people to know what we're diving in towards so if we get this full blown localization we can support it for as long as MMO's are around! c:

Also I really do agree the key might be to pay for multiple subs unfortunately. Like DQX plus FFXIV for 22-25 like you said. Isn't too unreasonable, and I think FFXIV people would pick it up for story alone Inbetween Savage prog even if they were the most hardcore. How they would figure out the price would be tough, 30$ for all 3 sounds like an SE email I forgot to open from another world though hahaha.

Edited by MoonRider
  • Upvote 1

You've never actually played it to max level, and experienced the game over a long period of time. The updates are not even close to as big as FFXIV, it's mostly small updates to e horizontal sandbox. They are never going to follow Daybreak games, which is boarding bancrupcy as is, and they will never offer a combined subscription or F2P; those are statements from SE across all products. That kind of thinking is a little illogical, from a AAA gaming company that has legacy, and more than that current market integrity.

EDIT: Also, an MMO releaseing content that keeps a majority of subscribers subscribers led, -and stays in line with expectation is considered successful and more that all MMOs follow and strive for that model.

EDIT: Staggered release from launch would never work, EXP rates were insane and you couldnt have known unless you played then. There no way they could balance that with the amount of content there is, plus drip release of more until catch up. Unrealistic.

All the things you mentioned even about solo play, and the mechanics of DQX are part of the reason why it's late entry makes it even more confusing into the current market. For 13$, I just don't see it.

Obviously Square Enix sees a way to do it if they openly said they will consider localizing it if they get enough fan support. We all have lots of experience PLAYING games but not releasing, localizing, or running an mmorpg. We have knowledge of how it works but 0 experience. I believe in the Square Enix devs and if they think the game can be localized with enough fan support. By Erdrick's Magic Armor, I will find a way to get them that fan support!

They have said they would consider localizing it three other major times, to my knowledge. But I digress, I think they have the ability to consider all things. I do have experience in the MMO industry, as well as playing them. I included a list of statements from Yoshi P about what it takes specifically for SE during some of their movements. It is extremely complicated.

Edited by MoonRider

They have said they would consider localizing it three other major times, to my knowledge. But I digress, I think they have to ability to consider all things. I do have experience in the MMO industry, as well as playing them. I included a list of statements from Yoshi P about what it takes specifically for SE during some of their movements. It is extremely complicated.

Complicated but not impossible. The 3 other times didn't have this campaign to get it localized. ;) It's also a much better market to release it into than before. There are so many good things going on that this is the only serious time (and probably our last chance) to get it localized. 

You've never actually played it to max level, and experienced the game over a long period of time. The updates are not even close to as big as FFXIV, it's mostly small updates to e horizontal sandbox. They are never going to follow Daybreak games, which is boarding bancrupcy as is, and they will never offer a combined subscription or F2P; those are statements from SE across all products. That kind of thinking is a little illogical, from a AAA gaming company that has legacy, and more than that current market integrity.

EDIT: Also, an MMO releaseing content that keeps a majority of subscribers subscribed, -and stays in line with expectation is considered successful and more that all MMOs follow and strive for that model.

EDIT: Staggered release from launch would never work, EXP rates were insane and you couldnt have known unless you played then. There no way they could balance that with the amount of content there is, plus drip release of more until catch up. Unrealistic.

All the things you mentioned even about solo play, and the mechanics of DQX are part of the reason why it's late entry makes it even more confusing into the current market. For 13$, I just don't see it.

Close to as big? Are you high? You must be high.  Sighs. Christ. Updates in XIV were small lad.  And they only occur, at least large enough to be considered updates, every 2-3 months. Sometimes even 4 months. And usually what they entail is, a new raid in a single room or at least a narrow hallway to said room, new costumes, new pets or glamour items, extra fluff, and now and then maybe a new feature. No new classes whatsoever unless its an expansion, Ninja was the ONLY exception, and perhaps some quality of life. Oh and new dungeons too, maybe 1, maybe 2, 3 if really lucky. Then of course, story progression which happens every other update. Little to none expansions of new lands, and more of the same damn bloody thing, and of course releasing the next no-lifer grind for relic every now and then too.  Basically the same crap but with some new extra toppings put on. 

They can more then well make it work, and adjust Exp rates as needed to keep things balanced out.  Many korean mmos played this catch up game, and the ones that did it well had no problem.  You certain you have experience with mmos before?  Sounds like you only played Japanese and Westerners, spite alot of the failings and flaws Korean mmos have, they did do alot of things that are smart and well executed.  

DQX gets more content, than XIV, I kept an eye on the releases of content since DQX 1.0, and followed it along with playing XIV.  DQX is also alot cheaper to make content for, than XIV does, due to a much lesser graphical engine to design the textures and maps for, and the fact that DQX has no voice acting, and makes little to no use of the same kinda epic orchestrated sound tracks, with VOCALS might I add, that XIV uses for nearly every, single, new, Primal/Raid/Storyboss fight they put out.  So its natural that DQX would have bigger and more frequent content updates.  

And dont even bother bringing up PVP.  Due to the way the client and server speaks to each other, theirs been exploiting in PVP that SE cannot control, then theirs unfair class stacking abusing the limit breaks, and general mess.  PVP isnt stellar in DQX either, but well, other than that one other MMO that very few people know about, but it was out and localized in english that SE took over from another company, and this MMO revolved around PVP, thats about the only experience with PVP SE has, PVP isnt a strong point for Square Enix. 

An all access pass can be an option to draw players and revenue.  Giving players 3 excellent mmos to play and charge a monthly subscription for that.  Or charge a lesser subscription for one game.  But in all honesty, I find it ridiculous, no, hilarious that people balk at paying even a 9.99 subscription, which is what I pay for XIV cuz I am a legacy player, but absolutely ridiculous that people balk at a subscription of 9.99 or hell even 5 bucks.  

What is 5 dollars? 5 dollars is a single two chicken white meat with rice and beans and a medium drink from friggen Popeyes.  And people balk at that? "Derp, 5 dollars a month to play a game? Uhh nope! "Chugs down a can of beer he obviously payed 5 dollars for a 6 pack, and ruining his body further in the process".  9.99?  Oh wow, so much money, hey, I know people who smoke a 9.99 dollar pack of cigarettes a day, and work near minimum wage jobs, so pricey! 15 DOLLARS SUB!? Screw that! I need mah 15 bucks to buy me a steak dinner!

Absolutely, ridiculous.

Cmon now....sighs. 

But yea, just stop. sighs >.>

Edited by Alexandrious
  • Upvote 1

There is no MMO on the market that updates sooner than every 6 months, and even then it's usually QoL with updates only contain tin major content every 1 - 2 years . Every even patch 3 month cycle on FFXIV is two dungeons, a Savage and normal raid, crafter prog, story, glamour, ex primals and OoL updates. Every Odd patch we get 24 man raids, crafter prog, story, ex primals, and horizontal content. You're the one who is high, I'm telling you it's literally considered the industry standard.

P.S. Don't give a chick or a slime what you follow, I play both - Savage prog on one, and I've played endgame at many different patches in DQX lol.

I've played a lot of Korean MMOs, including Mabinogi which did a catch up patch lifestyle and no it wouldn't work for this game, it's different. Also played Lineage, ArchAge, and many others.

Edited by MoonRider

Listen the joke is SE has the actual numbers, nothing Alex has said is true, and anyone who plays both of these games knows how they function; with or without me going on about this. I mean the second you say "well I haven't played it" your opinion is invalidated, to a high degree.

EDIT: I'm laughing going back to read the "and it's obvious the updates are bigger because it costs less" which made me sad the updates are genuiely small on DQX because I love it too, and actually play it.

Also noticed nobody mention "Wii Limitations" when talking about this game, which further distances people here a being aware of current gen-MMO life.

Edited by MoonRider
  • Upvote 1

Nobody's opinion is invalidated. Playing a game is a lot different from working on it. Let's all agree that Square Enix said they will consider it with enough fan support and not try to analyze the "how". I'm so exhausted, I'm trying to get some press coverage of the campaign since Massively OP took notice. Submit tips to Polygon, MyNintendoNews, wherever you can. Also, MoonRider, since you are incredibly well versed with all these mmorpgs and played DQX. Please get as many people as you can that you play with to also submit a ticket. That would be incredibly helpful.

There is no MMO on the market that updates sooner than every 6 months, and even then it's usually QoL with updates only contain tin major content every 1 - 2 years . Every even patch 3 month cycle on FFXIV is two dungeons, a Savage and normal raid, crafter prog, story, glamour, ex primals and OoL updates. Every Odd patch we get 24 man raids, crafter prog, story, ex primals, and horizontal content. You're the one who is high, I'm telling you it's literally considered the industry standard.

P.S. Don't give a chick or a slime what you follow, I play both - Savage prog on one, and I've played endgame at many different patches in DQX lol.

I've played a lot of Korean MMOs, including Mabinogi which did a catch up patch lifestyle and no it wouldn't work for this game, it's different. Also played Lineage, ArchAge, and many others.

Then you probably forgotten that Yoshi-P himself stated he would do updates for XIV, which DQX does as well, every 8-12 weeks on average, thats way less than 6 months, and i seen the updates, stuff gets added all the time, and SE is capable of doing this because they have the money to do so.  Thing is, even Everquest 2, spite daybreak failing it, has been able to provide new content every 2-4 months as well. 

And yes, if your not totally illogical, you would know that creating content for a game like DQX costs far less in development time, money and resources, than it does XIV, thats why DQX gets more to come out. 

So now your lying.  Got anything else to say?  Nothing I say is true? Oh kid, dont make me destroy you with facts.  Please stop lying.  If your gonna shitpost, do it elsewhere.  Your getting close to receiving my full wrath, I only been civil up till now because this is the Dragons Den forums, you don't wanna see how I deal with the mmophobes, shitposters, and trolls I deal with on Reddit that says anything overly negative on this game.

For the record, I had my co-agents all submit support tickets for Dragon Quest X, as a favor to me, spite only one of em plays DQ.  

Edited by Alexandrious

I said XIV has updates every 3 months o.o I literally said it right there, I'm saying it's the MOST UPDATED game you can't argue that lol, it's a fact. DQX gets updated around every 6 months. Again, I'm not making this up. Also I'm talking about competitive games, SorRY EQ2 is dead in the water like EQ1 living off of one or two servers, and a time-progression server (14 literal 0 pop doubt count). Daybreak is only alive because of 3 games and the people who multibox lol.

Edited by MoonRider

This is also a good time to point out ROI. DQX has a much higher ROI for its current subscribers than FFXIV does because of the amount of cost to sustain FFXIV than DQX. This is also why FFXI is still the most profitable game Square Enix has to date. When you look at everything based on quantity, you do yourself a disservice when rate plays just as big a part in ROI.

That's not actually supported by real numbers, according to SE company reports FFXIV is their most lucrative product/ongoing venture, including overhead and development costs; it's quite literally what keeps them afloat. You can make assumptions based on technological differences and say "that must be cheaper", but it's not how that works. ROI is significantly more expensive both short and long term when it's not compatible, and fluid coding; not based on preserved relative value. See FFXI for what that all turns into.

Edited by MoonRider

Yet it still falls short to FFXI as their #1 most profitable game. No one here is saying it doesn't generate a great deal of profit, it just isn't their most profitable. I think you are trying to argue for arguments sake. I don't doubt your knowledge or abilities as an mmorpg player. Use that to your advantage in expanding the campaign's cause and get more people submitting tickets to SE so we can get DQX localized.

No it doesn't, its long since surpassed FFXI too; all of this is old easily obtainable information that has been around for years, and can be grabbed from archives all over google, Reddit, and Bluegatr.

Not only has it long since surpassed FFXI has there all time most profitable game, but it dug them out of the 400m dollar FFXIV 1.0 hole AS WELL. I'm not saying I won't fight for this game, I'm saying don't stomp on another of SEs products to try and get it done. Echo chambers can be positive, and negative.

Edited by MoonRider

Dude, there is nothing that says this anywhere. Everything says "it's on its way to surpassing FFXI" and "2015 was profitable mostly in part by FFXIV" but no one has reported that it is MORE profitable than FFXI. Link me something please!

I said XIV has updates every 3 months o.o I literally said it right there, I'm saying it's the MOST UPDATED game you can't argue that lol, it's a fact. DQX gets updated around every 6 months. Again, I'm not making this up. Also I'm talking about competitive games, SorRY EQ2 is dead in the water like EQ1 living off of one or two servers, and a time-progression server (14 literal 0 pop doubt count). Daybreak is only alive because of 3 games and the people who multibox lol.

Oh ya did huh? After you just edited that out and all? Real cute Slick.  I kept track of DQX's updates, if it really was updating every 6 months it wouldnt be reaching 4.0 already by now.  SE usually likes to go from version x.0 to x.5, sometimes .6 before releasing an expansion, bringing it back to .0 again.  

Least you got one thing right, XIV has profited more than XI now, but XIV is dwindling, its falling out of favor in Japan and their is alot of low populated servers on NA/EU side, a couple of which are ghost servers.  Simply because people are tired of SE doing the same thing, thus hoping this next expansion will change how content is done from then on. 

The only higher costs, that DQX will have, over FFXIV is of course, the multiple platforms, they pretty much, for every content update, have to make sure to code and optimize the content, for every single platform the game is on, PC being the most difficult.  Yet regardless of this, will still cost far less to make content for, than XIV.  

XIV will also be cutting out PS3 support sometime during the next expansion as stated by Yoshida, to not only reduce costs, but to be able to put out content that cannot be done due to PS3 limitations. Though, its very likely they will be then instead, diverting the optimization costs they put into for the PS3, to now be used on the PS4 Pro and its better hardware capabilities. 

Edited by Alexandrious
  • Upvote 1

The answer to this conversation turning into a waking nightmare is pushing the Dragon Quest X Localization Campaign. MoonRider please...I believe in you. Get us some record numbers on submissions. Goodnight and good luck friends!

I didn't edit anything more than my grammatical mistakes dude, it was all plainly there. I'm not even going to comment on that last post Alex, it's not even an arguememt youre not basing it on anything. It's not dwindling in Japan, YOU can look at the numbers. MMO population stat flow is very specific, it follows a trend, every game has one, I've included them below..

http://www.ffxiah.com/databaseNote current population 2x and 3x boxes, and most accounts have a few active characters. current experts break this down to around 40k subs at most.

http://luckybancho.ldblog.jpThis is a breakdown of FFXIVs current sub flow, and the number of Mogststion purchases by character during specific campaigns and census.

You have to remember that FFXI was a niche game played by very few in MMO world, besides its longtime subs the only revue it saw was world transfers and box purchases; FFXIV has that and gender change, mounts, and a million other non game effecting micro transactions. You're obviously not digging much harder than Wikipedia, I can really look for the Square Enix Quartly breakdowns if you want.

Edited by MoonRider
  • Upvote 1

So I did my part so far by sending in the ticket and even a handwritten letter! Now I come to you guys with a question: How can I promote DQX to non-DQ fans? Drawing fanart is my main plan so far. Should I reach out to those who love monster girls or something? On a side note, school work is keeping me quite busy so art progress is going to be slow. 

• Upvote 2

So I did my part so far by sending in the ticket and even a handwritten letter! Now I come to you guys with a question: How can I promote DQX to non-DQ fans? Drawing fanart is my main plan so far. Should I reach out to those who love monster girls or something? On a side note, school work is keeping me quite busy so art progress is going to be slow. 

That's a fantastic idea! I would reach out to anyone who likes jrpg's or you know plays mmorpgs. Those who love monster girls would work or even Dragon Ball. Using your art as a way to promote is such a great contribution!

* steps forward in Starship Troopers fashion * "I'm doing MY part!"

• Upvote 1

I didn't edit anything more than my grammatical mistakes dude, it was all plainly there. I'm not even going to comment on that last post Alex, it's not even an arguememt youre not basing it on anything. It's not dwindling in Japan, YOU can look at the numbers. MMO population stat flow is very specific, it follows a trend, every game has one, I've included them below..

http://www.ffxiah.com/databaseNote current population 2x and 3x boxes, and most accounts have a few active characters. current experts break this down to around 40k subs at most.

http://luckybancho.ldblog.jpThis is a breakdown of FFXIVs current sub flow, and the number of Mogststion purchases by character during specific campaigns and census.

You have to remember that FFXI was a niche game played by very few in MMO world, besides its longtime subs the only revue it saw was world transfers and box purchases; FFXIV has that and gender change, mounts, and a million other non game effecting micro transactions. You're obviously not digging much harder than Wikipedia, I can really look for the Square Enix Quartly breakdowns if you want.

Niche?  Of course it was Niche -_-. You do realize when it was released right?  During the early days of mmos when the genre was slowly gaining popularity.  However, FFXI was too hardcore for pretty much any casual player.  Of course, the game was vastly different during its beta and during its vanilla release which we didnt get to experience since it was Japan only at the time.  I dont need to dig into any wikipedia to know any of that, I followed FFXI extensively during its concept, betas and release.  XIV at this time is slowly dwindling due to Yoshi going with the same boring, World of Warcraft system with content.  Thus, I hope this next expansion, he changes alot of things around, and give people an incentive to keep subbing instead of sub for one month, do everything that is released, then unsub until 2-4 months later when the next relevant content is out.  

Stop shitposting.  Either help with the campaign or keep quiet.  

Sighs.  Now with that out of the way.  I was thinking of making a few mail accounts and send more support tickets but eh, I bet any mails sent has the IP listed.  I can always use a VPN though.  Ill post on some Discord channels, reddits, and places for the campaign, get people interested, especially the old school crowd that MoonRider apparently doesnt realize how attractive DQX can be to those who are nostalgic of the golden age of mmos, which was Everquest and FFXI. I guess ya can throw ultima in it too.  

And believe me, their is alot of em out there, who wants a mmo with similar style and mechanics to those two games.  Alot of em are waiting for Brad Mcquaids Pantheon to come out, which is likely gonna flop, like his last game did >.>. 

• Upvote 1

It's not Actually dwindling though, you very clearly didn't even read the posts I included or their links - in fact it's bigger than ever! FANFEST tickets sold in literally 8 minutes, I don't have to keep going on about it - you waited days to even passively attempt to use your personal brand of conjecture to try and prove some great point, sweet.

I played FFXI JP launch and US, played it all the way until the newest expansion RoV. (EDIT: 5:20 You do realize that WoW came out shortly after that US launch, and permanently owned the MMO genre)

I'm not $#!& posting, you haven't done or seen any of the things we are talking about, and didn't even investigate the data I provided. Am I the one $#!& posting? I am helping with the real campaign, which is figuring out a way to organize all our names and actual categorized information about a place for us to collect as fans.

Also P.S. I was excited, and bought DQX at launch specifically because of how I hoped it would be FFXI/Everquest the second coming and it was, at LAUNCH! Step off brah, it's ridiculous. It's still not going to fly with people who are not interested in the genre (Dragon Quest) or old school players due to how it changed following 2.0. Which you'd know...

if you were there.

And Braid Mcquaids last MMO failed because it got pushed out literally 9 months early...

which you'd know if you were there.

Edited by MoonRider