SomaQz

Dragon Quest X - Localization Campaign

I can't read the first post. I have a feeling the font color is set to white instead of default. Since the mobile site uses a white background, white text is invisible.

Here it is in Black: 

Greetings DQ fans!

I've been doing some research with Square Enix Support in an effort to get Dragon Quest X localized.  I've had some pretty good success so far.  Square Enix communicated to me that if they see enough support tickets requesting Dragon Quest X, they will consider the localization.  They have been very helpful and even offered to put me in contact with their developers, so this campaign has some realistic weight to it.

What I will need you to do is go to the Square Enix support page for any Dragon Quest game (for example, here's the one for Dragon Quest IX https://t.co/7wtaGp04gN ) and create a support ticket.

Here are the steps:

1. For Contact category choose Products & Services and for Contact Sub-Category choose Product Specifications.

2. Enter a subject line under contact details, and keep it to under 40 characters.  For example: "DQX".

3. Hit Next.  On the next page, hit Next again.  Now choose Proceed to Email Support.

4. Enter in your contact information.  Enter your email address twice.  If you plan on creating multiple support tickets, please use a different email address per support ticket.

5. In 4000 characters or less, write a polite message to support asking for Dragon Quest X's localization.  Once you submit your ticket draft you can preview it or edit it.  Once you are satisfied, click Submit.

Please keep the message focused on Dragon Quest X for this campaign.  If this experiment works then we can try focusing on other DQ games in the future.  We can really do this!  Thank you for your support.

SomaQZ

Signed it, emphasizing my desire for all DQ games to be localized.

Edit: This was SE reply.

"Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

We appreciate your support for Dragon Quest X. We are glad to hear your feedback for the game and we will be forwarding it to the appropriate department. We look forward to hearing from you in regards to our other titles. Please take care!

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center."

Edited by Kenryoku_Maxis
  • Upvote 1

Signed it, emphasizing my desire for all DQ games to be localized.

Awesome! Now is the best time to do that since these are being presented to the devs!

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/54xcdw/dragon_quest_x_localization_campaign/?st=itn73pl3&sh=8d721f74

I joined Reddit, just to post this, but I don't know anything about reddit, and it looks like my post isn't showing up in the Dragon Quest reddit page. I don't know if that's because I don't have enough reputation or karma because I'm new, or if my post is stuck in some sort of QA on the reddit side. Does anybody know?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/

It says it was removed. You need more benevolence.

That's lame. There were enough spam bot checks on sign-up. They should allow you to post from the start.

He meant benevolence in your heart, Liamland. Feel it in your heart and reddit will accept you!
  • Upvote 1

We have received the inquiry.

Ticket Number: 642roto

Please be sure to have your ticket number ready when you are contacting the Support Center for assistance.

Edited by moncikoma
  • Upvote 1

Wow, awesome! I never thought SQEX would consider localizing DQX, what with it being an MMO and all. I'm writing my ticket right now - thank you for all your effort, SomaQZ!

• Upvote 1

I did the thing! I told them I'd drag everyone I know online to play it if it's localized... which is no idle threat.

Seeing as how I kind of lost access to my one-time password for logging in to DQX, I really hope to be able to play it again, especially in English!

He meant benevolence in your heart, Liamland. Feel it in your heart and reddit will accept you!

I can't flapping see benevolessence. Not since the attack on the Observatory.

Looks like I just needed more time.

• Upvote 1

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/54xcdw/dragon_quest_x_localization_campaign/?st=itol7hla&sh=800f2158

Can folks upvote this reddit post?  It seems to be losing steam, dropping down to #18.  It was pinned by the subreddit moderators yesterday, but it's since been replaced.  Thanks.

I got a reply back, pretty much the same thing everyone else got.

It will be the same response; that is how they are organizing the tickets. The rep at Square Enix Support told me they are being seen by a human being even if the response is the same automated one, it has to be chosen by a real person. He also said they are compiling them to be seen by the devs! I am going to make sure this is really happening if I have to drive down to the El Segundo office myself even. 

Not my most anticapted DQ-western-release, but would definitely buy on launch. Filled in a ticket. ^^

• Upvote 2

Nice!  Great shout-out for the campaign.  Good to see the marketing efforts are having an effect.

• Upvote 1

Very well, I submitted a ticket myself personally, normally my crusade to help DQX localization is to.... "educate" those who balk at DQX simply because it has the MMO Genre tag, not realizing what the game truly is.  I hope your going around to many forums, and on game faqs, and on any message board to spread this about. 

• Upvote 1

Very well, I submitted a ticket myself personally, normally my crusade to help DQX localization is to.... "educate" those who balk at DQX simply because it has the MMO Genre tag, not realizing what the game truly is.  I hope your going around to many forums, and on game faqs, and on any message board to spread this about. 

I'm going to as many as I can. If you can spread the word with the link leading back here to any forums you are a part of, it would be greatly appreciated! :D

I just sent a support ticket, finally. Haven't received an email yet, but it's only been a couple minutes.

• Upvote 1

I came back after reading about this on Reddit, currently playing FFXIV after a long break from DQX. I submitted a ticket, but I still have a few comments. For one, all the numbers thrown around about subscribers were wrong. According to Lucky Bancho (the lead JP population tracker) FFXIV currently has 500k subs - 240k of which are max level, story completed players. This was after a lull with directional changes, and the statistical downturn of players before a new expansion launch. Our overall player pool is 800k, also according to Lucky Bancho. These are people who sub for Expansions and when Major 8 man savage raids are patched in. So the curve expects 800k at expansion launch, up to 700k during a raid update. I'm not making this up, you can dissect the numbers either on Lucky Bancho blog, or on the FFXIV Reddit.

Furthermore, as a community of people who love Dragon Quest, where are we coming from? Have you played DQX before? Did you make it far? Or did you just ride a hype train, for a game from a series we all love - because it wasn't available. Story unseen, gameplay unplayed. I get it. I played DQX from the day it launched, for about two years straight, and than on and off since. I can say I know a fair amount about it. I know the extent of the content it offers - and more than that the content it offers that would be categorized by traditional MMO players - the people who would also be holding the game up by paying its 13.00$ (or 16.00$ on the 3ds) a month fee. There is very little hardcore content, most of it is casual side grade horizontal gameplay, shallow in a difinitive sense; aside from endgame story, weekly dragon, and a few coin and open world bosses. But They are also still relative difficulty, ONLY TO THIS GAME. I've played MMO's for 17 years, from Everquest + Ultima + Lineage through the first gen console FFXI and Phantasy Star Online. I've raided Mythic in World of Warcraft, I have a max combat account in Old School Runescape.

I'm not trying to be hurtful, brag, or make my opinion seem more valid - I'm just trying to show that what I'm saying isn't some nerd rant, for better or worse I've spent my life doing this stuff and I know what I'm talking about.

I don't understand how this game could survive in today's MMO market, especially at nearly 15$ a month. It's long in between updates compared to FFXIV, which does have community issues - just look at what people complain about on reddit or OF and as unreasonable as some or if it is - this is with what is considered to be the best support and most frequent updates in the industry right now for an MMORPG development team.

Our only hope is If SE puts NA and EU servers with JP servers to guarantee some lifetime integrity, maybe that way us hardcore fans who would pay for the game and enjoy it, can. I don't know how that would happen, it hasn't passed community polls on the DQX site and forums and the general perception of foreigners (non-jp) even within the FFXIV community is not good, as it traditionally has been since the day Jueno was opened to NA players back in FFXI. We are seen as non-compliant, unable to connect with a group, and a destroyer of virtual economies.

I don't know, the more I think about it the more I don't know what will happen. If you think it was hard/took long for them to translate Dragon Quest VII on the 3DS - Imagine this game, plus all it's expansions and updates. It would be a nightmare. They would have to hire NA community managers, web designers, GM's, people who run support tickets which, yes, are different for each game (look it up, Yoshi P talked about all of this AT LENGTH. And guess what else he planned content for? DQX.), they would also need permanent translators for updates, and someone to be hired as a go between for community managers, and JP live developers for update information. None of these "MMO" blogs mention this; shoddy journalism, but that's a different story. They would also have to change their development style to appeal to those of the NA and EU population, and nobody knows how that would effect the JP population currently in DQX (which only has about 220-250k subs as of 2016).

SE is also supporting 3 major high cost projects currently - Kingdom Hearts 3, FFVII remake, FFXV, DQXI - I haven't seen anyone come up with where they think the company, which almost went bankrupt on FFXV, is going to pull this out from, amongst all else.

EDIT: I realize this is a super post and work in-progress, but I was thinking about this for a while. Especially as someone who has played DQX for 4 years, and wondered why they never brought it over to begin with.

EDIT2: Also my stance on DQX is that I love the compelling (and as DQ can be, ethereal and emotive) story, pvp, stat system, bosses, quality of life, Magic Dungeon and coin system) but I'm pressed to justify the large monthly cost, especially (and as clearly many others feel, seeing as it's second most subscribed behind WOW and Lineage KR) when FFXIV has all the same things, plus more Quality of Life, graphics, Savage content, Raids, etc. It fits into the current market. Although the current market is dying, and desperately needs life - this will not be is, as I saw some try to mention. Pantheon, Chronicles of Ely, Camelot Unchained; these are the big names being talked about in the MMORPG industry, and it's because they are offering something different that competes.

Edited by MoonRider
  • Upvote 2

I came back after reading about this on Reddit, currently playing FFXIV after a long break from DQX. I submitted a ticket, but I still have a few comments. For one, all the numbers thrown around about subscribers were wrong. According to Lucky Bancho (the lead JP population tracker) FFXIV currently has 500k subs - 240k of which are max level, story completed players. This was after a lull with directional changes, and the statistical downturn of players before a new expansion launch. Our overall player pool is 800k, also according to Lucky Bancho. These are people who sub for Expansions and when Major 8 man savage raids are patched in. So the curve expects 800k at expansion launch, up to 700k during a raid update. I'm not making this up, you can dissect the numbers either on Lucky Bancho blog, or on the FFXIV Reddit.

Furthermore, as a community of people who love Dragon Quest, where are we coming from? Have you played DQX before? Did you make it far? Or did you just ride a hype train, for a game from a series we all love - because it wasn't available. Story unseen, gameplay unplayed. I get it. I played DQX from the day it launched, for about two years straight, and than on and off since. I can say I know a fair amount about it. I know the extent of the content it offers - and more than that the content it offers that would be categorized by traditional mom players - the people who would also be holding the game up by paying its 13.00$ (or 16.00$ on the 3ds) monthly fee. There is very little hardcore content, most is casual aside from endgame story, weekly dragon, and a few coin and open world bosses. They are also relative difficulty, ONLY TO THIS GAME. I've played MMO's for 17 years, from Everquest + Ultima + Lineage through the first gen console FFXI and Phantasy Star Online. I've raided Mythic in World of Warcraft, I have a max combat account in Old School Runescape.

I'm not trying to be hurtful, brag, or make my opinion seem more valid - I'm just trying to show that what I'm saying isn't some nerd rant, for better or worse I've spent my life doing this stuff and I know what I'm talking about.

I don't understand how this game could survive in today's MMO market, especially at nearly 15$ a month. It's long in between updates compared to FFXIV, which does have community issues - just look at what people complain about on reddit or OF and as unreasonable as some or if it is - this is with what is considered to be the best support and most frequent updates in the industry right now for an MMORPG development team.

Our only hope is If SE puts NA and EU servers with JP servers to guarantee some lifetime integrity, maybe that way us hardcore fans who would pay for the game and enjoy it, can. I don't know how that would happen, it hasn't passed community polls on the DQX site and forums and general perception of foreigners (non-jp) within the FFXIV community is not good, as it traditionally has been since the day Jueno was opened to NA players in FFXI. We are seen as non-compliant, unable to connect with a group, and a destroyer of virtual economies.

I don't know, the more I think about it I don't know what will happen. If you think it was hard/took long for them to translate Dragon Quest VII on the 3DS - Imagine this game, plus all it's expansions and updates. It would be a nightmare. They would have to hire NA community managers, web designers, GM's, people who run support tickets which, yes, are different for each game (look it up, Yoshi P talked about all of this AT LENGTH. And guess what else he planned content for? DQX.), they would also need permanent translators for updates, and someone to be hired as a go between for community managers, and JP live developers for update information. None of these "MMO" blogs mention this; shoddy journalism, but that's a different story. They would also have to change their development style to appeal to those of the NA and EU population, and nobody knows how that would effect JP populations (which only has about 220-250k subs as of 2016).

SE is also supporting 3 major high cost projects currently - Kingdom Hearts 3, FFVII remake, FFXV, DQXI - I haven't seen anyone come up with where they think the company, which almost went bankrupt on FFXV, is going to pull this out from, amongst all else.

EDIT: I realize this is a super post and work in-progress, but I was thinking about this for a while. Especially as someone who has played DQX for 4 years, and wondered why they never brought it over to begin with.

They have many ways to make it work and reduce costs, one of which they can follow Daybreaks example and create an all access pass subscription for all three mmos, can use the moderation and GM staff that does FFXIV to also take care of DQX as well, they can utilize the Montreal server clusters, or even better, keep them in Japan since the game doesnt require having a low ping to play it well.  And yea I played mmos for 17+ years as well.  From what I seen though, DQX gets far more content update volume than XIV does.  Hell, DQX has from everything I seen, far more content, things to do, and lands to explore than XIV does or probably ever will.  Some of the features and things you see in XIV, was placed in DQX first even. 

As for Updates, and localizing everything, they could go the sensible route,  release the game to international somewhere around Version 1.4 or higher. Or hell at 1.0 is fine, and release each version update every 3 to four weeks, giving them time to translate/localize the content, as well as run those time specific story events that JP Version had before during particular updates.  

Many ways they can make this work. I for one am tired of the mmos we have of today, between the Koreans and their loli fetishes and P2W, botched western mmos that fail at the start or get sold off only to fail and become cash grabs, or Japanese mmos, even SE is guilty of this with XIV, copying what made highly rated mmos successful, and not changing much up.  I quit XIV because I got tired of the same damn thing every update that they did since 2.0.  Sure they release new stuff now and then, but the meta always stayed the same, and its a pain in the ass honestly to even do endgame raiding anymore due to having to get 7 other players, to all be on at the same time, to all learn the strategy and work together to beat a boss.  At least in DQX, nearly all the hardcore endgame content is 4 man, getting 4 people together is significantly easier than getting 8, and at least you can hire NPC AI to fill brain dead roles for certain endgame fights, course you cant do that for all of em, only some, but at least it HAS that option. 

I want this more than anyone, DQX has alot of traditional things, that I missed from FFXI, and even from Everquest original.  I will drop everything for this mmo. 

• Upvote 1

You've never actually played it to max level, and experienced the game over a long period of time. The updates are not even close to as big as FFXIV, it's mostly small updates to e horizontal sandbox. They are never going to follow Daybreak games, which is boarding bancrupcy as is, and they will never offer a combined subscription or F2P; those are statements from SE across all products. That kind of thinking is a little illogical, from a AAA gaming company that has legacy, and more than that current market integrity.

EDIT: Also, an MMO releaseing content that keeps a majority of subscribers subscribed, -and stays in line with expectation is considered successful and more that all MMOs follow and strive for that model.

EDIT: Staggered release from launch would never work, EXP rates were insane and you couldnt have known unless you played then. There no way they could balance that with the amount of content there is, plus drip release of more until catch up. Unrealistic.

All the things you mentioned even about solo play, and the mechanics of DQX are part of the reason why it's late entry makes it even more confusing into the current market. For 13$, I just don't see it.

Edited by MoonRider
  • Upvote 1

I came back after reading about this on Reddit, currently playing FFXIV after a long break from DQX. I submitted a ticket, but I still have a few comments. For one, all the numbers thrown around about subscribers were wrong. According to Lucky Bancho (the lead JP population tracker) FFXIV currently has 500k subs - 240k of which are max level, story completed players. This was after a lull with directional changes, and the statistical downturn of players before a new expansion launch. Our overall player pool is 800k, also according to Lucky Bancho. These are people who sub for Expansions and Major were 8 man savage raids are patched in. So the curve expects 800k at expaction paunch, up to 700k during a raid update. I'm not making this up, you can dissect the numbers either on Lucky Bancho blog, or on the FFXIV Reddit.

Furthermore, as a community of people who love Dragon Quest, where are we coming from? Have you played DQX before? Did you make it far? Or did you just ride a hype train, for a game from a series we all love - because it wasn't available. Story unseen, gameplay unplayed. I get it. I played DQX from the day it launched, for about two years straight, and than on and off since. I can say I know a fair amount about it. I know the extent of the content it offers - and more than that the content it offers that would be categorized by traditional mom players - the people who would also be holding the game up by paying its 13.00$ (or 16.00$ on the 3ds) monthly fee. There is very little hardcore content, most is casual aside from endgame story, weekly dragon, and a few coin and open world bosses. They are also relative difficulty, ONLY TO THIS GAME. I've played MMO's for 17 years, from Everquest + Ultima + Lineage through the first gen console FFXI and Phantasy Star Online. I've raided Mythic in World of Warcraft, I have a max combat account in Old School Runescape.

Our only hope is If SE puts NA and EU servers with JP servers to guarantee some lifetime integrity, maybe that way us hardcore fans who would pay for the game and enjoy it, can. I don't know how that would happen, it hasn't passed community polls on the DQX site and forums and general perception of foreigners (non-jp) within the FFXIV community is not good, as it traditionally has been since the day Jueno was opened to NA players in FFXI. We are seen as non-compliant, unable to connect with a group, and a destroyer of virtual economies.

I don't know, the more I think about it I don't know what will happen. If you think it was hard/took long for them to translate Dragon Quest VII on the 3DS - Imagine this game, plus all it's expansions and updates. It would be a nightmare. They would have to hire NA community managers, web designers, GM's, people who run support tickets which, yes, are different for each game (look it up, Yoshi P talked about all of this AT LENGTH. And guess what else he planned content for? DQX.), they would also need permanent translators for updates, and someone to be hired as a go between for community managers, and JP live developers for update information. None of these "MMO" blogs mention this; shoddy journalism, but that's a different story. They would also have to change their development style to appeal to those of the NA and EU population, and nobody knows how that would effect JP populations (which only has about 220-250k subs as of 2016).

First off, I want to say thank you! I was looking for someone who had actual numbers as well as real, in the cut, insight. I had guesstimate numbers that went by old census data and I didn't know anything about FFXIV numbers. I'm going to go through each question so bare with me. :) I personally have not played DQX but I have watched streams, videos, and kept up with the game without ever playing it. I prefer sub based mmorpg's to be honest. I also have a 5 month old daughter so it's really hard for me to be as hardcore into mmo's as I used to be. (i.e. Everquest, ran a guild in WoW to complete Ulduar at release) I think this applies to a lot of gamers in Western markets at this very point in time. 

As far as how it can survive in this market, that is something Square Enix as well as other gaming companies have to figure out in the mmorpg space. WoW, FFXI, and FFXIV are grossly successful subscription games. DQX can be too but it is going to take some creativity to boost numbers. For example, SE offer a single subscription to all online games for $25/month. I would pay for 2 of those, 1 for me and 1 for my wife. I think SE needs to market DQ better in Western markets as a whole.

The localization of DQVII was a miracle made by French fans of DQ. I remember reading they sent letters to the CEO directly of SE and Nintendo. They also said they would translate it themselves! Why it took so long was because all the maps and translations were done by hand so they had to create them in a virtual space. DQVII is also massive compared to the previous games in the series.  As for having permanent translators, look at Treyarch and how they successfully do just that. Maybe all that can be done by a third party company like how Shanda is producing the Chinese localization. 220-250k subs for just JP is better than what a lot of mmorpg's have in general. Unless I can sit down with SE and look at market analysis and know what kind of ROI they would need to get it done, we shouldn't assume it needs to be record breaking numbers if they will consider localizing it with "enough fan support".

I actually work for a bankruptcy law firm LOL! A company going bankrupt isn't entirely detrimental to the company continuing to produce product.

It's comments like yours that I absolutely love! It gives us a more depth into what it is we are actually asking Square Enix to do. Only they know their financials and what they plan on doing as a company but we as fans should still let them know what we want and let them figure out if there is enough value in our demand to actually move on it.

They have many ways to make it work and reduce costs, one of which they can follow Daybreaks example and create an all access pass subscription for all three mmos, 

Great minds think alike! :D

Edited by SomaQz