Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

Official DQVII Advice & OMG Thread

What do you mean by 'overrides'? Does that mean it's the same check, and I can never get a heart because it gets tamed instead?  Or merely that it checks for taming first, then if it doesn't tame, it checks for a heart?

I tamed the initial three so that I could make a 3x Gigalumph tablet.

What do you mean by 'overrides'? Does that mean it's the same check, and I can never get a heart because it gets tamed instead?  Or merely that it checks for taming first, then if it doesn't tame, it checks for a heart?

I think he means the latter, the taming is checked first.

Great info! So I guess it's always worth using Focus Strength before Knuckle Sandwich.

Err, no. In the case of Knuckle Sandwich, it doesn't bypass resistance flags. If something resists what I call "strike" type damage, then that creature either dodges or reduces damage. In this case Knuckle Sandwich is a dodge flag for "Strike" resistance. This is because this is separate from "evasion," which is a special stat enemies CAN have (characters have a base rate based on agility).

I'm not even positive KS is even affected by standard evasion, and might be already a 100% hit rate if someone has no resistance to "strike" property, but has natural evasion of some level (1, 2, or 3...1/64, 1/16, or 1/4 chance to evade most attacks). I'm not positive on this. I could be way wrong, and it's affected by the evasion stat as well.

Everything has to be complicated, doesn't it?

So I wonder which boosted attack would give me the most bang for my buck against, say, the bonus boss.

How does all that work? Am I screwing myself out of hearts by holding Monster Munchies the whole time?

Monster munchies have the same effect whether they are in your inventory or in your bag.

Monster munchies have the same effect whether they are in your inventory or in your bag.

Oh. Doh.

What do meaty treats do?

Oh. Doh.

What do meaty treats do?

Same thing as Animal magnetism when used.

I think he means the latter, the taming is checked first.

Probably, I don't know the order exactly.  It could be Tame is before heart, but if you get a tame, you don't get a heart.  I may have to reorder the "drop" section in my FAQ to account for that.  I didn't think of that, and that makes more sense.

the problem is...

Auto-steal trumps Drop (overwrites it...easily checked with 'always drops' codes, so if I get an autosteal, and I do, then drop is overwritten...DQ6 DS/SFC and DQ7 PSX, so I feel very safe assuming the same for the 3DS)

Auto-steal + Drop trumps Heart

Auto-steal + Drop trumps Tame (in the PSX...not sure about this version, but I assume it's likely the same)

Tame trumps Heart

So I guess the order would have to be:

1) Heart

2) Tame

3) Drop

4) Auto-Steal

So, really it's a "takes precendence to" rather than an 'overrides'

At least how I think of terminology.

I'd assume if there was an auto-steal, it just never goes on to the other checks. 

If there is a tame, it never goes on to the next checks.

etc.

Iggy, shouldn't that order be switched around a bit? If auto stealing trumps everything else, it should be number 1, right?

So if you're farming hearts, you shouldn't have a barn set up for the monster and shouldn't have anyone be a Thief, Pirate, or Monster Masher?

• Upvote 1

Iggy, shouldn't that order be switched around a bit? If auto stealing trumps everything else, it should be number 1, right?

That's just it.  I don't know if it checks 1, then checks the next and overwrites, then the next, then the next.

Or, if it checks for the first in line first, fail, next one, fail, next one fail, next one fail until success or each check has been marked.

The way I have it written in my FAQ, is how you're thinking about it Sword, but really it could go either way, especially given some of the hokey coding elements and oversights that are hard to pin down as bugs/oversites in the localization process, or oversites in the original game code.

Since yab is the only one who has delved into the actual code for the DS remakes, I wonder if he's paying any attention, he could chime in with what he's found in terms of which method is how DQ handles it.

Edited by ignasia7

I have a question for you guys.
I am currently 4 hours into the game. Before starting the remake, I played the first 4 hours of the original Dragon Warrior 7, then saved after the first battle (yup, took me 4 hours to reach it, 'cause I just love talking to NPCs and party chat) and decided to stop and wait for the remake to be published in the west.
I couldn't help but notice how much they changed the intro in the 3DS version. I loved the first 4 hours of DW7, while the first hours of the remake made me feel like an idiot. :/ I understand why they felt like removing all the puzzles so that people could reach the first battle sooner, but I'm also afraid that the game could keep doing this with other parts of the game.
So, my question is: does the remake ruin change more than just the intro? Should I stop and play Dragon Warrior 7 instead, then pick up the remake after I'm done with the original?

I have a question for you guys.

I am currently 4 hours into the game. Before starting the remake, I played the first 4 hours of the original Dragon Warrior 7, then saved after the first battle (yup, took me 4 hours to reach it, 'cause I just love talking to NPCs and party chat) and decided to stop and wait for the remake to be published in the west.

I couldn't help but notice how much they changed the intro in the 3DS version. I loved the first 4 hours of DW7, while the first hours of the remake made me feel like an idiot. :/ I understand why they felt like removing all the puzzles so that people could reach the first battle sooner, but I'm also afraid that the game could keep doing this with other parts of the game.

So, my question is: does the remake ruin change more than just the intro? Should I stop and play Dragon Warrior 7 instead, then pick up the remake after I'm done with the original?

The intro is the main thing that's been changed. The grinding has been seriously downplayed and the difficulty has sadly been nerfed a bit too much for my liking. Most of the game remains the same...except it feels more accessible.
  • Upvote 3

The intro may have been gimped, but the remake is the definitive version of DQ7. Just play the remake, but consider going through the original at some point to see the differences.

• Upvote 2

So I have a question regarding a side quest:

Upon visiting Wetlock again when looking for Haven recruits, I stopped in to see the professor and his assistant. Apparently the professor's hat was stolen. They claim it was a thief in the tower north of Wetlock, but when I went to look I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I don't remember if I ever did this quest in the original, so any help would be appreciated. I could have easily missed something for all I know.

Well, they told you the hat gave the Professor his heightened intelligence, right? Did you ever happen to check out the Wisdom rankings in El Ciclo? If you did, you would've seen Professor Wade in the top spot. Well, go check out the rankings now. I think you'll find some pertinent info for this little quest.

• Upvote 3

Well, they told you the hat gave the Professor his heightened intelligence, right? Did you ever happen to check out the Wisdom rankings in El Ciclo? If you did, you would've seen Professor Wade in the top spot. Well, go check out the rankings now. I think you'll find some pertinent info for this little quest.

You are a genius. I knew the professor topped the boards when I went to enter Aira in the Style contest (I checked all the board at once).

I honestly never would have thought of checking the board to find out who stole it. I assumed the theft was within the tower north of Wetlock, so I figured it would be confined to there or one of the Slimes would say, "I say that chatty gooman get attacked by some other goomans," or something like that.

Thank you my good man...er, Sword!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I'm still trying to figure out why I haven't found anymore town recruits since La Bravoure. (I probably misspelled that name)

The last area I finished was Providence, which is a decent amount of territory since that point.

Unless I need to boot out the download bar guests, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Upon visiting Wetlock again when looking for Haven recruits, I stopped in to see the professor and his assistant. Apparently the professor's hat was stolen. They claim it was a thief in the tower north of Wetlock, but when I went to look I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I don't remember if I ever did this quest in the original, so any help would be appreciated. I could have easily missed something for all I know.

Crap, I missed out on that hat sidequest entirely. His assistant apparently found it for him in the meantime. Did I miss out on a piece of equipment? How was I supposed to know to check back on them after they stop being relevant to the story? Why is the sidequest only possible for a limited window of time? 

Crap, I missed out on that hat sidequest entirely. His assistant apparently found it for him in the meantime. Did I miss out on a piece of equipment? How was I supposed to know to check back on them after they stop being relevant to the story? Why is the sidequest only possible for a limited window of time?

I just happened to stop back when hunting Haven recruits, talked to some townspeople, they mentioned the professor and Brook where searching for something, so I went from there.

It's not the end of the world you missed it. You'll know for a future replay now. Hell I didn't even know this side quest existed until this week.

@Yangus: You're welcome, my friend. You should find the identity of the thief hilarious.

@Stepchan: Do you recall the last resident you picked up? It's possible you can get no more until Nottagen is finished.

@Mario: The Canny Cap is just a Wisdom-boosting helmet. Not super important, but it may be a necessity to top the Wisdom rankings. From what I know, that side quest is available up until you attend the competition in Hubble later on.

I just happened to stop back when hunting Haven recruits, talked to some townspeople, they mentioned the professor and Brook where searching for something, so I went from there.

It's not the end of the world you missed it. You'll know for a future replay now. Hell I didn't even know this side quest existed until this week.

At least this game doesn't have an item log like DQIX. If it did, I would have to start my 170-hour save over from scratch.

@Mario: The Canny Cap is just a Wisdom-boosting helmet. Not super important, but it may be a necessity to top the Wisdom rankings. From what I know, that side quest is available up until you attend the competition in Hubble later on.

That would be despicably cruel if it was needed to top the wisdom rankings. It's one of the most easily missable items I've ever encountered in a video game.

Edited by Mario

@Yangus: You're welcome, my friend. You should find the identity of the thief hilarious.

@Stepchan: Do you recall the last resident you picked up? It's possible you can get no more until Nottagen is finished.

Oh it was very funny who the culprit was. It suddenly made one of the comments in Wetlock a lot more clear. Confused the heck out of me why one of them brought up smells and foul odors.

Just for the record, I was able to complete this little side quest after the Hubble Torban competition. I haven't gone to awaken the Almighty yet, so I'm guessing your last chance to complete (and start) this quest is before the Almighty is returned to the world via the ceremony at the Alter.

Oh it was very funny who the culprit was. It suddenly made one of the comments in Wetlock a lot more clear. Confused the heck out of me why one of them brought up smells and foul odors.

Just for the record, I was able to complete this little side quest after the Hubble Torban competition. I haven't gone to awaken the Almighty yet, so I'm guessing your last chance to complete (and start) this quest is before the Almighty is returned to the world via the ceremony at the Alter.

Oh, well that's good. It's a more gracious timeframe than I thought it was.